Great Comicbook Art Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's a really nice piece. I don't really know art terms, but I like how the arrangement of the characters has the reader looking down @ them @ a dramatic angle.

It's a really nice piece. I don't really know art terms, but I like how the arrangement of the characters has the reader looking down @ them @ a dramatic angle.

The applicable "art terms" would probably be composition (the arrangement of figures on the page and how this leads the eye of the viewer) and perspective (the use of foreshortening to imply distance and depth).

And yeah, it's definitely a fantastic use of both to create an image that is simple but incredibly dynamic, with Romita's trademark flowing lines.

I don't know if this counts as "great comicbook art" since it was never in a Comic, but back in 2019 I actually paid (the first time ever I've done that) for a commission from Bob McLeod when he was at Terrificon in CT to do the two Marvel Warlocks (Adam Warlock and New Mutants Warlock).

I hope this embeds okay.

20190812_201207.jpg

Last edited:
Love that. And I miss Warlock, he was a fun character, especially when Bret Blevins was penciling New Mutants.

I don't know if this counts as "great comicbook art" since it was never in a Comic, but back in 2019 I actually paid (the first time ever I've done that) for a commission from Bob McLeod when he was at Terrificon in CT to do the two Marvel Warlocks (Adam Warlock and New Mutants Warlock).

I hope this embeds okay.

View attachment 33312

Very nice! I’ve been commissioning art since ‘98, but I’ve yet to get anything from him.

Bob McLeod is one of the best inkers ever.
I think he's also an underrated artist, though he's known more for his inks, and his inks are one of the "overwhelming" types where his style comes through a lot more.

Very nice! I’ve been commissioning art since ‘98, but I’ve yet to get anything from him.
He does Con commissions, which you can find here: https://www.bobmcleod.com/commissions-listing/event-convention-commissions/

He actually did that during the days he was there. :-) I saw the roughs he did at one point.

In 2018 I saw him at Terrificon, but he didn't have a large line or anything. I chatted briefly, bought a book. I felt a little bad he wasn't as popular as other folk, with their lines, etc -- and I started my love of Marvel Comics with New Mutants a long time ago. So I said to myself I wanted to get a commission, probably the only time I've spent that level of money on something like that. Both Jim Starlin and Chris Claremont were at the convention, so I wanted to do the dual Warlocks image. (I was thinking about getting both of them to sing above their characters, but I got this mid-afternoon on Sunday and wasn't going to go through the lines I went through on Friday.

Heading to TC 2021 in a few hours...probably will get Starlin to sign over Adam's head. (Have to wait for Chris Claremont to come back).

I hope this embeds okay.

View attachment 33312
You ever notice most comic book artists‘ signatures look like the same handwriting? It’s like they’re trained that way like learning to write in engineers‘ and architects’ “blueprint/schematic” font.

Motown songs used to be used in 80's films all the time. I can't recall the last time I heard Under the Boardwalk

I picked up my comic art while visiting my parents during my vacation.

From Pounded Issue 2 Steve Rolston art.

A Distant Soil Colleen Doran

From Hell Eddie Campbell

I liked a lot of it at the time. But it’s a jumbled mess in a lot of ways. It’s like 5 different long stories Claremont had going on, and he wove them altogether into a chaotic mess.

There are some really good moments going on in it, and some impressive art.

I liked a lot of it at the time. But it’s a jumbled mess in a lot of ways. It’s like 5 different long stories Claremont had going on, and he wove them altogether into a chaotic mess.

There are some really good moments going on in it, and some impressive art.

Yeah that is something disccused in the Twitter thread.

At the time I was a bit lukewarm on it as I was also getting burned out on the big crossover 'events.'

I loved the Silvestri art and Madelyne being seduced by S'ym dream sequence though.

DybMGkQV4AA5Si7.jpg

RCO012_1469468322.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, there are some great parts. I think it’s just doing too much. Like sometimes embracing the absurdity of the MU and having clones and mad scientists and demons and mercenary assassins and demonic incursions into NYC can all work together.

But sometimes, it may not be the best way to proceed? Maybe that’s the best way to look at it. I would have preferred the Madelyne/Sinister story to be handled separately from the Illyana/Limbo stuff.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back