Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Since we're on the Dyson Logos Dyson Logos praise-wagon I'll just say that every time I've hit game night with no ideas I just grab one of his maps and the ideas start pouring in. If there are any idjits out there with an agenda to do him ill I'm gonna be the first to join the posse to run them down.

JMal can come across as a smug, tweed-wearing academic, the kind of uptight, soulless professor you want to beat to death when you get them for a class on Byron. But, the guy‘s a good egg and always meant well. Knocking him for “The Twain” is on you, that’s Lieber, not JMal.

Now that you know it’s Lieber’s term, I’d think you’d be more “Ok, that was me being a dumbass”. :shade:
Yeah, since making these posts I started re-reading the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books and Leiber absolutely does refer to them as “the Twain,” capitalization and all. So me knocking JMal for doing the same was 100% a case of me being a dumbass. I’ll own that (now) :blah:

James has a rather academic background which might contribute to his writing style. He's a great guy in person.

You can't study the Scholastics and Nominalists without a little stylistic inf(l)ection ...

tumblr_ppgllw8bqr1sjkfso_540.jpg

I'm familiar with http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/ but what are these other blogs you speak of?

Damn, caught me with a blast from the past on that one. It took me a minute staring at it going "wait what, when did I write that?" to realize this was from 2017.

Anyways, I can throw together an Oldhammer blogroll for you, sure.

Damn, caught me with a blast from the past on that one. It took me a minute staring at it going "wait what, when did I write that?" to realize this was from 2017.

Anyways, I can throw together an Oldhammer blogroll for you, sure.

That's weird, for me it shows up on the front page of the main forum here, that is the Grognardia G.O.A.T. post.

That's weird, for me it shows up on the front page of the main forum here, that is the Grognardia G.O.A.T. post.

Yeah, thread was necro'd, I just didn't notice, lol

Korgoth Gwarh

For your perusal...

Korgoth Gwarh

For your perusal...

Does anyone have a list like that for RuneQuest? :hehe:

Y'all are embarrassing me.
If this was a real Pub and we were still in our twenties I suspect someone here would pull your pants down so you'd really have something to blush about!

Also a review of Mike of DIY RPG's Barbarians of the Ruined Earth.

He has restarted his review series of the massively underrated Brit rpg magazine Imagine, with a Bryan Talbot (yes, the Talbot of the brilliant Luther Arkwright comic) cover!

I wonder what the two films are that he has never heard of? Can't say that JMal ever struck me as a cineaste so his ignorance of them doesn't tell us much.

The Invincible Barbarian mentioned in the review is a typical Italian S&S cheapie by trashmeister Francesco Prosperi, best known for the sleazy (is there any other kind?) 70s home invasion flick Last House on the Beach.

As much as I've criticized JMal in the past this Imagine review series alone gets him big kudos from me.

Last edited:
A little too much Gygax genuflecting at the end of this review for my taste but at least he recognizes the general weirdo awesomeness of the OG Manual of the Planes:

Last edited:
He has restarted his review series of the massively underrated Brit rpg magazine Imagine, with a Bryan Talbot (yes, the Talbot of the brilliant Luther Arkwright comic) cover!

That's really interesting and further evidence of quite how close the overlap between the 2000 AD and the RPG crowd was at the time.

A good post on one of my favourite Gygax modules that doesn't get discussed enough, The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (one of the few modules I kept from my childhood!l).

A good post on one of my favourite Gygax modules that doesn't get discussed enough, The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror (one of the few modules I kept from my childhood!l).

That was the first module I ever played in as a PC, although I’d been running games before that. I’ll have to give that a look.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back