GURPs Traveller bundleofholding

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
Currently there are two GURPs Traveller Bundles going on. What are people's thoughts on the bundles and GURPs Traveller in general

Currently there are two GURPs Traveller Bundles going on. What are people's thoughts on the bundles and GURPs Traveller in general

IMHO, if you like GURPS, these are well worth the cost. I never took to Traveller*, but I liked GURPS Traveller (as well as any of the space stuff for that system). If I were still into GURPS, I'd consider these a must-have.

*I know. Sacrilege.

I like Traveller but not the OTU setting.
Is all the GURPS Traveller stuff focused on the 'official' setting?

At some point I had the Interstellar War PDFs. Fun read and an interesting time to set a game if you're a OTU fan. Otherwise, nothing to write home about.

I like Traveller but not the OTU setting.
Is all the GURPS Traveller stuff focused on the 'official' setting?
They are mostly setting material, focusing on the Third Imperium, but you might find the books useful for any sci-fi game. Tell me what you want to do (and why you dislike the OTU) and I will tell you if you should drop the cash.
  • The Second Edition corebook is a great introduction to the OTU. The character templates are third edition, not fourth.
  • Behind the Claw and Rim of Fire are detailed sectors. Not adventures, but collections of planets and maps. BTC is more accessible. You could easily run a Firefly type sandbox game with it. ROF is set around Earth and has more of an intrigue feel. There's a lot of setting-specific stuff you may not like, about legacy of the Interstellar Wars.
  • Starports is generic enough for any sci-fi game. Some neat examples of space stations.
  • Humaniti is very setting specific to the 3I.
  • Interstellar Wars is the closest thing there is to Traveller for Gurps 4th Edition. If you want to play Gurps Traveller I'd use this book and Gurps Lite (rather than 2E and GurpsLite 3E.) The default setting is the conflict between Earth and the Vilani Empire.
  • Sword Worlds is another sector book. It's notoriously hard to find, and supposedly really well written.
  • I got Star Mercs and Ground Forces as part of a bundle on Ebay, and I don't think I've given them a second glance since I like free trader campaigns, not military ones.
In general, the Gurps Traveler books are fascinating but they make for dense reading. It's a different tone from the minimalism of Classic Traveller

I got really excited at the Traveler bundle then saw it was GURPs :sad:

I've got to say those that I love Bundle of Holding. Great offers on games.

A suggestion. Maybe we could create a sticky thread for RPG game sales (and accessories)? :cool:
I have Gurps Traveller. Is Gurps Traveller Interstellar Wars worth adding? I still have Mongoose Traveller (2nd ed) waiting to be played at some point.

I have Gurps Traveller. Is Gurps Traveller Interstellar Wars worth adding? I still have Mongoose Traveller (2nd ed) waiting to be played at some point.
Probably not, unless you want updated templates for 4E, the history of the Interstellar Wars, and star maps of the Solomani Rim (which for some odd reason are in purple). It really depends if you want those templates. I'm not a big template person (I like the idea, just not how Gurps implements them.)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back