GW The Old World is back?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Cathay has already been announced. The designs are being done by the GW team (who revealed the Kislev models the characters in the trailer are based on last year) and it looks like Warhammer: The Old World is being developed in tandem with Warhammer: TW III, meaning we may see both this year
Hmm. Since they’re doing them together and Cathay is mentioned, I wonder if we’ll see Cathay minis. That would be awesome. Of course GW’s depictions of Cathay and eventually Nippon and Ind will have the Lilac Lunatics blowing aneurysms.

Hmm. Since they’re doing them together and Cathay is mentioned, I wonder if we’ll see Cathay minis. That would be awesome.
It would seem like an odd choice to make a major faction in The Old World, given all the other lands and factions between them and The Empire and that the game is sounding very human-oriented so I doubt we'll see Ogres, Orcs and both types of Dwarf as major factions. But hey, who knows, it would be good to have another human aesthetic in there.

Of course GW’s depictions of Cathay and eventually Nippon and Ind will have the Lilac Lunatics blowing aneurysms.
Juts this once, can we not get up in arms about what a hypothetical group might hypothetically do if a hypothetical thing occurs?

Hmm. Since they’re doing them together and Cathay is mentioned, I wonder if we’ll see Cathay minis.

That's been all but confirmed. We've already seen the Kiev mini designs, I'm sure we'll be seeing the Cathay ones in short order

It would seem like an odd choice to make a major faction in The Old World, given all the other lands and factions between them and The Empire and that the game is sounding very human-oriented so I doubt we'll see Ogres, Orcs and both types of Dwarf as major factions. But hey, who knows, it would be good to have another human aesthetic in there.

There was a rumour originally that it was going to be a human-focused game taking place during the cival war, but the latest map reveal dispelled this idea, and we already have confirmations for Norse dwarves, wood elves, and orcs and goblins, which suggests to me that we'll see all the classic races except perhaps those actually geographically divorced from the Empire, such as Lizardmen, and Tomb Kings. That also, interestingly includes Dark and High elves, but I'd be kinda OK with just Wood elves represented.

I think though, what were seeing, is the production team looking for new models to sell the new game, as opposed to the majority cases where old model lines still in production can be used. Exploring cultures like Kiev and Cathay provide a wealth of opprtunities for introducing troops and creatures we haven't seen yet.

Most of the plastic kits for elves and orcs from eighth edition are still available. So, it makes sense to explore some new corners of the world. I'm really concerned about where they'll go with mechanics.

Most of the plastic kits for elves and orcs from eighth edition are still available. So, it makes sense to explore some new corners of the world. I'm really concerned about where they'll go with mechanics.

I'm prepared for disappointment, but as long as it's disappointment like 8th edition, and not disappointment like AOS, I'll be mostly OK.

I'm solidly Oldhammer so it's probably not a game I'm ever going to play, but fun new miniatures might be fun... though probably all out of scale and Busby Berkeley vs. what I've already got.
If something were to happen that made the Tomb Kings range available again I'd spend some money.

If I want a really stripped down Warhammer variant I'll play Kings of War. If I want a cool, skirmishy game, I'll play Warlord's of Erewhon. If I want a face paced element based game I'll play Hordes of the Things.

What I'd like to see is a nice, tight, playable version of Warhammer that scales up and down well. I think that means percentage comp rather than "0-1" or "2+" Selections, you shouldn't be able to take a rare, elite unit like Chosen Chaos Warriors in big blocks in small games. Make it 0 - 10% of points. I quite liked what eighth edition did with 25% heroes, 25% lords. It gets rid of one character on a monster and two small units forming a 2000 point army.

But I want it to be Warhammer: Points comp, army lists, deployment zones, regiments, wheeling and detailed maneuvering, weapon skill verses weapon skill, strength verses toughness, armour saves, break tests, fleeing units, I wouldn't mind guess ranges, I see Warhammer as a game that should be played for fun among friends.

Even then it's unlikely I'd buy an army again. I've been collecting the Ral Partha Fantasy Armies range with all its lovely Chris Fitzpatrick and Bob Olley sculpts in metal. I've quite gone off plastic for some reason.

What I'd like to see is a nice, tight, playable version of Warhammer that scales up and down well. I think that means percentage comp rather than "0-1" or "2+" Selections, you shouldn't be able to take a rare, elite unit like Chosen Chaos Warriors in big blocks in small games. Make it 0 - 10% of points. I quite liked what eighth edition did with 25% heroes, 25% lords. It gets rid of one character on a monster and two small units forming a 2000 point army.

But I want it to be Warhammer: Points comp, army lists, deployment zones, regiments, wheeling and detailed maneuvering, weapon skill verses weapon skill, strength verses toughness, armour saves, break tests, fleeing units, I wouldn't mind guess ranges, I see Warhammer as a game that should be played for fun among friends.
I wasn't really a fan of guess-range weapons and the like, because usually one player (And that player was me, because I fucking practised) is so much better at guessing ranges than the other. I prefer allowing measuring so as much information is open as possible.

Movement's always been the problem with Warhammer's scaling. The key to the game is movement, and how to get units where they need to be when they really aren't very agile, and that requires having a decent amount of units on the board for both sides to make the puzzle interesting... but that's also the thing that makes low point value games feel unsatisfying, because you can't afford that many units, and units don't get fun to move around until they have a back rank or two.

Low point values work fine in games where individual models and units are fairly agile - like 40k, like Mordheim, etc - but Warhammer is not that game.

The scale relative to movement values in Warhammer is the pits, I've always disliked it. I have messed about with 15mm scale units on an 8x4 table and it's loads better. If you slight heroes and favour units and up the table size you get something similar. I'd want a 5x10 table to get the same effect though.

But if you scale down the size of units in low points games you can still have enough units for an interesting game.

While Kings of War doesn't work very well at the 500 point level, we played an entire tournament in an evening once. You really need to focus on smaller units because losing a unit is losing the game. There was an article in White Dwarf back in the seventh edition days where they scaled down the unit sizes for smaller games. That's why I think percentage comp would make sense.

Even then it's unlikely I'd buy an army again. I've been collecting the Ral Partha Fantasy Armies range with all its lovely Chris Fitzpatrick and Bob Olley sculpts in metal. I've quite gone off plastic for some reason.
I don't mind good hard plastic like GW uses, but they seem intent on adding soooooo many spindly little details that seem likely to bust off... like long thin whips, narrow blades and such.

Age-Of-Sigmar-Hedonites-Of-Slaanesh-1.jpg

Broken models are less re-salable on the aftermarket which manages to be a major competitor for GW.

That's a good trailer, although I'm torn on the ICE, ICE, Baby! Motif of Kislev.

I still think I like this one better, even if it's dated.

Then there's this one which plays on the ending of the Mark of Chaos one.

Second one for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

BTW, there's a private server for WAR, https://www.returnofreckoning.com/

That's been all but confirmed. We've already seen the Kiev mini designs, I'm sure we'll be seeing the Cathay ones in short order

I am guessing that the GW Thinking behind adding a "Cathay" army is primarily to appeal to the growing mainland Chinese market.

I am guessing that the GW Thinking behind adding a "Cathay" army is primarily to appeal to the growing mainland Chinese market.

I don't know that's a penetrable market, as it's basically recaster central and China doesn't enforce copyrights.

I don't know that's a penetrable market, as it's basically recaster central and China doesn't enforce copyrights.
Yeah, and unlike the Russians who make whole websites of recast minis like Black Legion Market and Black Market Minis, the Chinese just flood EBay and other auction sites.

Personally, I think every time someone steals a penny from Games Workshop an Angel gets its wings, but a lot of those sites recast the little guys too, so make sure you know who’s a recaster.

That's a good trailer, although I'm torn on the ICE, ICE, Baby! Motif of Kislev.

I still think I like this one better, even if it's dated.

Then there's this one which plays on the ending of the Mark of Chaos one.

Second one for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

BTW, there's a private server for WAR, https://www.returnofreckoning.com/

These WAR trailers hit me right in the feels but I’m not sure I can stomach MMO play these days. I tried ESO and (returning to) WoW lately but couldn’t manage either.

Besides, I’ve been getting my WFRP videogame fix from the amazing Vermintide 2. But I do miss WAR’s amazing variety of heroes, enemies and settings.

I'm not sure I'd call WH: TW an MMO. It's more of a battle simulator.

I haven't been into pc gaming since age of empires III but this title might rope me back in. I'm sure my PC can't handle it lol

Take advantage of the reduced price and grab Total War: Warhammer 2 with all DLC packs instead. I have no idea whether 3 will be any good but 2 is the one people have been going crazy about.

Regarding WFRP video games, I have been on a Vermintide 2 kick for several months, and I go back and forth on whether to pick Chaosbane (a WFRP Diablo clone should be an auto-sale for me but the lukewarm reviews have been keeping me away; besides I couldn’t even convince Mrs. The Butcher to join me on Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn).

There’s also a WFRP mobile MMO slated to come out any time now (Warhammer: Odyssey) that I’m vaguely curious about, but I don’t really see myself doing either mobile gaming or MMOs right now. Still, it’s Warhammer Fantasy so I’ll be keeping an eye out for reviews.

Pretty sure that's another reason for all the long, thin spindly bits. Casting them in resin must be no fun, and good luck stopping them breaking off the mini.

Pretty sure that's another reason for all the long, thin spindly bits. Casting them in resin must be no fun, and good luck stopping them breaking off the mini.
I’ve heard that’s why Belisarius Cawl, the Archmagos who designed the Primaris and their superior weapons decided to outfit all the Primaris vehicles with fucking machine guns. The narrow, holed barrels are hard to recast and easy to break. Have to squeeze every last drop of disposable income out of those consumers.

At this point I might get into 3D Printing and recasting myself out of spite.

Machineguns use inexpensive ammunition for weak targets. Boltgun ammo is expensive.

Has anything been going on with The Old World in recent months? I haven't followed Warhammer Community that closely, but all talk of TOW seem to have evaporated.

I know that it's years off - and hopefully not vaporware - but there haven't seemed to have been any updates about it in 6 months. Not seeing any talk about it on YouTube channels that were nerdishly speculating over it last year.

Has anything been going on with The Old World in recent months? I haven't followed Warhammer Community that closely, but all talk of TOW seem to have evaporated.

I know that it's years off - and hopefully not vaporware - but there haven't seemed to have been any updates about it in 6 months. Not seeing any talk about it on YouTube channels that were nerdishly speculating over it last year.

No new news. We knew development was going to be 4-5 years from when it was first announced. Everything lately had been focused on hyping up the latest edition of AoS and the new "orcs"

In the spirit of nostalgia I just spent some time paging through my copy of Warhammer Armies. Probably the one book that had the most influence on how WHFB looks in my head cannon. This was the book that inspired me to use the plastic figs from my copy of Samurai to be able to field a Nipponese contingent on my converted train set battle field, the site of all my early grand victories and defeats. Good times.

No new news. We knew development was going to be 4-5 years from when it was first announced. Everything lately had been focused on hyping up the latest edition of AoS and the new "orcs"
I was a bit excited when the Cruelboyz were first announced but it turns out they're orks, not hobgoblins. I mean, they have hobgoblins as a cannon fodder unit but I would have liked a real hobgoblin list, that would have probably gotten me to do Age of Sigmar, especially if they had wolf riders.

While it doesn't have a Chinese list, Rick Priestly's Warlords of Erehwon does have a Samurai list, not to mention Flying Monkeys (the coolest army from Fantacide by Rick Priestly, Andy Chambers, and Alessio Cavatore). https://thisgaminglife.uk/

As long as you don't let Alessio near an army book I'm sure it's fine...

Warlords of Erewhon seemed pretty balanced, we played it a fair bit a couple years ago. Throwing spears are probably a bit too good. It's a bit weird because it uses the order dice like Bolt Action and Beyond the Gates of Antares. I still like rank and flank better. Too soft and skirmishy for my tastes.

Yup, that's why I put the link in.

I'm not the world's biggest GW fan but if they ever do proper Rogue Trader style Imperial Army and Adventurers they may yet lure me back.

One thing I'll add, I keep meaning to get into Beyond The Gates of Antares. I've got the promo squads of Algoryn and Boromites painted up from the pre-release but never went any farther. It looks really cool but I always wonder why they haven't done generic lists to let people try the rules with stuff they already have. Of course they did that with Erehwon because they weren't really planning to support it with a line of miniatures.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back