HALLOWEEN THREAD

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My Savage Worlds group is about to come into conflict with a witch who is trying to summon demons. Sure, they're on another planet in what has generally been a space-pulp setting, but I decided there's no reason other planets wouldn't have occult, too.

Been browsing Codex Infernus: The Savage Guide to Hell for ideas.

My Savage Worlds group is about to come into conflict with a witch who is trying to summon demons. Sure, they're on another planet in what has generally been a space-pulp setting, but I decided there's no reason other planets wouldn't have occult, too.

You can always pull something like Alien, Event Horizon or Jason X

I always do a high concept horror one-shot for Halloween. The inspiration this year is a cross between two of my favourite arcade games as a kid

Carnevil

I feel like there was an alien version of Carnevil.

I'm probably not doing a Halloween game this year unfortunately. Just too much going on.

I did do a Resident Evil game a few years back that was one of my favorite one shots I've probably ever done... Also I'm starting to feel old when I say "a few years back" and I think I ran it something like 16-7 years ago. Was with D20 modern.

Almost everyone died, and the couple that didn't were captured by Umbrella operatives at the end.

I'm probably not doing a Halloween game this year unfortunately. Just too much going on.

I did do a Resident Evil game a few years back that was one of my favorite one shots I've probably ever done... Also I'm starting to feel old when I say "a few years back" and I think I ran it something like 16-7 years ago. Was with D20 modern.

Almost everyone died, and the couple that didn't were captured by Umbrella operatives at the end.

The first Resident Evil game was legitimately scary

Hope to do a CoC one shot this month, not sure what scenario to use yet.

Most Halloweens I run a rules-light one-shot in which my players completely refuse to engage with the horror premise. Maybe I won't do that this year.

I had an idea about a Genius: the Transgression adventure where the characters are invited to a dinner party and discover the host has rebuilt the house into a ghost trap, intending to kill himself and anyone he finds interesting enough to spend eternity with, while the actual demon he owes his soul to is prowling around outside. But writing it up seems like so much hard work...

I usually run something thematic around the end of October to coincide with Halloween (and my birthday, which is a few days before).

This time I'm going to run a Cinematic one-shot of the Alien RPG (which I recently acquired).

Using Roll20 (with dynamic lighting), so I can really make some nice maps and play cool music. Very excited about it.

YES!!!!! Space Gun!! Man. The memories!!

In my mind, the graphics were better. LOL

I randomly encountered that cabinet in a ferry terminal somewhere in the south of France in the early 90s, then never saw it again. One of those experiences that made you wonder if you imagined the whole thing. Now thanks to emulators like MAME and the documentation of connoisseurs it has gotten easier to track down and study obscure arcade machines like this one.

I think the design of the aliens is actually a pretty good genestealer rip-off, but yes, the memory of graphics is often deceptive that way:

b5utMNv.jpg

Does anyone know of any pre-written modules (any system) that can reproduce the typical teen slasher in the woods?

Looking for things like:

- teens having a bush party or camping as a group

- creepy cabin in the woods (ie, Blair Witch)

- abandoned summer camp (ie, Camp Crystal Lake)

- creepy mine or cave

Final Girl is a great card-based storygame that does a pitch perfect job of recreating slashers.

Strangely the classic CoC Blood Brothers 1 and 2 collections don't have the classic teens in the woods set-up although the second volume does have a teen slasher set-up in a carnival with a killer clown.

Monsterparts: In the Woods is a well designed hex-based game about a group of kids or teens lost in the woods and stalked by a monster (12 sample monsters are included).

Last edited:
There are multiple scenarios available for the Slasher Flick RPG. I don't know if they're good, but they exist.

If you search "Slasher" on dtrpg, they come up.

Monsterparts is perfect. It actually has the entire setup that I wanted (shifting the fluff from a bunch of kids camping to a bunch of teens having a bush party).

Thanks for this recommendation!

Does anyone know of any pre-written modules (any system) that can reproduce the typical teen slasher in the woods?

Looking for things like:

- creepy mine or cave
I believe Dead of Night 2E has something in it for that.

werewolfsmall.jpg

Final Girl is a great card-based storygame that does a great job of recreating slashers.

Strangely the classic CoC Blood Brothers 1 and 2 collections don't have the classic teens in the woods set-up although the second volume does have a teen slasher set-up in a carnival with a killer clown.

Monsterparts: In the Woods is a well designed hex-based game about a group of kids or teens lost in the woods and stalked by a monster (12 sample monsters are included).

Volume 2 of Blood Brothers has "Simply Red", which is a nice slasher homage, and does feature teens as part of an entire family. The action takes place mainly in a run-down house, but it is in the woods...

QAGS has a one-shot called "Terror at Camp Waka'naka" that should fit the bill nicely.

Does anyone know of a good resource for character portraits of Modern characters? I'm trying to find a set of PC and NPC portraits of mostly teenagers with a 90s look. 80s would be fine too (the late 80s and early 90s kind of blend together.

YES I could just download a bunch from Pinterest or whatever, but I'd prefer it if they were all from the same artist or photographer. Drive thru RPG doesn't yield much....

I'm going to run a one or two session shorty of Monster of the Week for my kids. Very Supernatural themed I think, so built in lore since we've all seen all the seasons. It's gonna be slimy and gross with just a hint of body horror. :grin:

Does anyone know of a good resource for character portraits of Modern characters? I'm trying to find a set of PC and NPC portraits of mostly teenagers with a 90s look. 80s would be fine too (the late 80s and early 90s kind of blend together.
I've been using Artbreeder to make character portraits. You supply it with two images (I usually use images from the gallery that other people have supplied) and it extrapolates their features to create a child image. You can use that with a genetic algorithm to get closer and closer to the look you like.

It takes a while to get it right, but it's actually a little addictive.

Jeeze that sounds like a lot of work.

Just draw 'em.

Going to be doing a holiday Adventure Seed for the main site, and a bonus for Patrons. Last year we did a story about Jack o"Lantern the modern spirit of Halloween. This year it looks like we will be featuring a horror from beyond the stars.

Could I borrow a pencil? And some talent?

Pencil sure. But talent is over-rated. You wouldn't need talent to learn to ride a bike Drawing a face is just learning a few set series of lines.

Just grab a Jack Hamm charicature book and copy the features you need to construct the face. Before long, you won't even need to copy.

c2a6f4a3a1ceff0c76901b99a922505a.jpg

I ended up just taking screen captures from oWoD books and used an online token maker tool.

The module is very 90s, so the old World of Darkness art styles worked wonders. Mostly Joshua Gabriel Timbrook's stuff seen in the Clan books.

I am thinking of running a Vaesen one-shot to give it a go (I want to run a campaign, but am in the middle of running something else)

The teens in my Basic Fantasy game have requested something Halloween-ish for next week's session.

There have been definite bits of horror in the campaign in the past, so it wouldn't be out of place. I just need to decide what approach I want to use for this.

Was planning to run an AFMBE 1-shot, but only one other guy is available. So instead, the two of us are likely going to hang out and grab some dinner.

Looking for things like:

- creepy mine or cave

There’s a Dresden Files RPG scenario of Junior High kids staying in a haunted house. It’s free. (I used it to springboard a bunch of one-shots of the kids as they grew-up (post-high school road-trip of Hotel California meets Identity; college spring break met Deep Ones; young adults at a high society fundraiser meets Masque of the Red Death).

I dialed up the number of ghosts and monsters in my wuxia campaign. Not planning anything special for Halloween, just a regular session:smile:.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back