Harryhausen in the House

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like this would be relevant to a few Pubbers interests.

HH's fantasy films left a big impression on me growing up. I still think well-done stop motion provides a much more visceral thrill than cgi can manage.

Incidentally, I always associate these films with the Lou Ferigno Hercules movies, as I saw them around the same very impressionable age.

His movies inspired a number of 3.5e D&D adventures I made up and played*.
I love Jason and the Argonauts, as well as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger.

*By played I mean sat alone in my room and mashed little cardboard tokens together while making sword sounds

I wanted to like Jason & The Argonaults, but it was just too lame for me. There was no way any of those dudes were the heroic Argonaults, and Heracles was just wrong. Harryhausen's effects were pretty good though, and quite inspirational

The later films, the Sinbad movies and Clash of the Titans were pretty awesome all round, and still get my creativity going today. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad truly rocks :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I wanted to like Jason & The Argonaults, but it was just too lame for me. There was no way any of those dudes were the heroic Argonaults, and Heracles was just wrong. Harryhausen's effects were pretty good though, and quite inspirational

The later films, the Sinbad movies and Clash of the Titans were pretty awesome all round, and still get my creativity going today. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad truly rocks :thumbsup:
why-would-mankcam.jpg

7th Voyage and Jason and the Argonauts for me, I saw both in the theater as re-releases back when that was a thing (pre-VHS). Golden Voyage was cool but I saw it once later, and it didn't seem to get the TV time of the other two. Clash of the Titans and Eye of the Tiger were much later and fell victim to the censors who cut out a lot of the death and mayhem of the earlier (old school G rated films!).

It didn't help that we saw Excalibur (also PG :shock: ) with all its glorious violence and nudity (13 year old boys love violence and nudity) shortly before seeing CoT which made it seem pretty tame by comparison.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back