Hellboy Kickstarter

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Got to play this tonight. Was quite enjoyable. The player phase is nice and fliexible and the action economy is fun. I like the art (Mignola of course) and the tile design is nice and colourful. The dice system is pretty straightforward.

We only played the intro scenario so there wasn't a huge amount of tactical depth. But that's to be expected. The Big Boss monster was reasonably challenging.

I played Johan and my only real complaint was that he was really only geared for examining clues. I like that the characters have their own shtick, it's just he was a bit monotonous. Possession is cool, but he doesn't do much else. Perhaps with a more challenging adventure he might shine a bit more.

Oddly despite having the full kickstarter package we couldn't find any clue tokens. There were none of the cardboard ones that the normal retail version would get and nothing appearing as a sculpt (like the inferno tokens).

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It's pretty fun. I'd be tempted to pick up myself if I found £150 lying around somewhere :grin:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Only about half that, £74.99, for the retail version

Erstwhile

Reaction score
I just received word my pledge is finally shipping; seems the Canadian pledges got delayed at the hub. Some of the reviews have me a bit leery but still looking forward to opening this...hopefully next week.

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
We've played three games so far. It's a fun game, but the lack of a campaign mode could hurt it. There's no real variety in the game tbh.

However we haven't failed a mission yet. I wouldn't say it was easy, but the challenge level isn't really high enough

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Got mine this week. It’s beautiful, but my Lobster Johnson miniature was defective: his face is featureless and blobby (no mouth or nose, and his buttons on his coat are hardly there).

Otherwise very nice.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Got mine this week. It’s beautiful, but my Lobster Johnson miniature was defective: his face is featureless and blobby (no mouth or nose, and his buttons on his coat are hardly there).

Otherwise very nice.
Have you contacted Mantic about a replacement?

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Yeah I sent a message to their support contact (as per their latest update). Even sent them a photo. I figure I will get a response in a few months; luckily I can still play the game though!
Hopefully they don't take that long, I've heard good things about Mantic's customer support so far

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they don't take that long, I've heard good things about Mantic's customer support so far
For sure, and to be fair my issue is relatively minor compared with others out there. It’s just that... the Lobster is one of my absolute favourites and it it just had to be THAT figure which was messed up. Geez what are the odds.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS!

Backerkit is going to be re-opened so pledgers can add on the newly revealed Wild Hunt Expansion!

60055631_2655755914450978_5643609502507859968_n.jpg

Yes, that is Alice!!

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Mantic hasn't announced it yet (they are a bit behind as their offices were broken into and burgled over the weekend), but the backerkit is back open and anyone can add to their pledge. I just grabbed the Wild Hunt expansion.

Erstwhile

Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting my BackerKit notification about WH! In the meantime my box finally arrived and - by no means guaranteed in my neighbourhood - it avoided porch pirates until I got home from work. Whew!

Looking forward to unboxing this monster. It is enormous!

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Mantic support already got back to me: they're going to mail a new Lobster Johnson! That was quick. Very classy support, I have to say.

Any other defects in miniatures (warped bases and weapons) I was able to fix with the old dunking in really hot water , gently bending then dunking in cold water. My Giant Frog Monster's base was so warped it wouldn't stand up properly (would always tip forward onto its face). Fixed it up nicely.

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
We've really enjoyed this. The agent phase works really well for a coop game. The turn structure is excellent.

But the game is too easy. Either we're doing it wrong but the enemies aren't a threat at all. Liz can burn her way through almost everything singlehandedly. Even the Conqueror Worm is no threat for her, not really. We've had a couple of KO'd characters, and used the rest phase, but ultimately we haven't lost nor really been challenged from the enemies.

Erstwhile

Reaction score
We've really enjoyed this. The agent phase works really well for a coop game. The turn structure is excellent.

But the game is too easy. Either we're doing it wrong but the enemies aren't a threat at all. Liz can burn her way through almost everything singlehandedly. Even the Conqueror Worm is no threat for her, not really. We've had a couple of KO'd characters, and used the rest phase, but ultimately we haven't lost nor really been challenged from the enemies.
While I haven't used them yet myself, there are Hardcore Mode cards for the Deck of Doom that are designed to increase the difficulty level (and Rookie cards that do the reverse). There's a "New Rules" card in the KS that sets out a suggested blend of Rookie, Normal, and Hardcore Deck of Doom cards. Those might help?

I've played the intro scenario thus far, and it was quite entertaining. I like the way it plays, and the upgrade/downgrade system went really smoothly once we got into the swing of things. I do wonder about replayability (though the BPRD Archives set gives some decent options for switching things up) and the structure getting a bit old (always ending in a Confrontation) but it does at least look like the various different bosses play differently, so that should be fun.

I wish I was a more skilled painter. I actually find the clues and the Insight and tracking tokens being plastic makes the game look pretty drab; a whole lot of grey. Or, alternatively, I wish that Mantic had done what CMON did with Rising Sun - provide the base set components along with the enhanced ones.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
If you don't have the talent, time, or inclination to paint, you could still spruce up the game components just with some washes. Say a chestnut wash for the clue tokens, crimson for Hellboy, a green wash for the frog people, etc. Washes are easy as pie, you just brush them on and let them dry, and they will seep into the recess with bold lines and lightly tint the rest of the mini.

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent idea! I was planning on doing so with my Zombicide figures. There's a charming, elegant simplicity to keeping miniatures looking somewhat statuesque, I think.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
I bought this thinking it would be the perfect drink for a Hellboy game. Now I just need the game....
IMG_20190525_193131-01.png

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Unless we are still playing her wrong I'm convinced Liz is massively op.

We played a hard difficulty game last night and there was a lot of shit affecting us. We got to the final encounter with Tentacles of Shem. He's weak to fire, she did 3 flame blasts that tore him apart. Lobster finished him off. It was ridicuously easy.

This is a great game, but the difficulty is massively off

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, there's always an even harder mode with the other BPRD agents without powers.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I suspect there must be something you're missing, as the playthroughs on the Mantic Hellboy Facebook group have mostly been gruelling You guys do know Liz's fire attacks hurt her teammates too right?

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
True that. @Ghost Whistler , did you include that feature? That might explain why it was a breeze.
Sure but fire has never really proved that much of an issue. She's never had to attack a space occupied by allies. Shadu Hem was all on his loneseome and already vulnerable to fire.

I dunno, if there's something we're missing I don't know what it is.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Sure but fire has never really proved that much of an issue. She's never had to attack a space occupied by allies. Shadu Hem was all on his loneseome and already vulnerable to fire.

I dunno, if there's something we're missing I don't know what it is.
Hm, maybe do a play by play of a game

Of course. Maybe the dice gods are just being kind to you

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
It's not that we aren't having fun, it's just the difficulty could be a little more robust given that it's a coop game. The game sets up the boss phase implying its a big deal, and the boss minis are impressive, so when the poor guy gets almost one shotted...!