Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Maybe Kevin Crawford. You'd have to ask him to be sure but I think it's possible.
I think I saw him say (in a thread elsewhere) that he's recently been able to turn his RPGs into a livable income. I assume that's from money from both Kickstarters and DTRPG sales, though.

I think I saw him say (in a thread elsewhere) that he's recently been able to turn his RPGs into a livable income. I assume that's from money from both Kickstarters and DTRPG sales, though.
Yeah, his back catalogue continues to sell well and, when he gets a new customer, they tend to make a lot of repeat purchases. The KS funds get his books out sooner, but he's open about the fact they were going to happen anyway, the KS just speeds up the process by letting him pay for art sooner, etc. Definitely KS-as-preorder.

So if you want to make money in gaming, just write quality system-neutral books full of GM help for popular genres, build up a devoted fan base from scratch by giving away your first huge chunk of content, ensure you have new products coming out every few months, keep your promises to your fans, make your "learning projects" into saleable content right from the start, and always keep an eye on the finances. It's easy, folks.

Yeah, his back catalogue continues to sell well and, when he gets a new customer, they tend to make a lot of repeat purchases. The KS funds get his books out sooner, but he's open about the fact they were going to happen anyway, the KS just speeds up the process by letting him pay for art sooner, etc. Definitely KS-as-preorder.

So if you want to make money in gaming, just write quality system-neutral books full of GM help for popular genres, build up a devoted fan base from scratch by giving away your first huge chunk of content, ensure you have new products coming out every few months, keep your promises to your fans, make your "learning projects" into saleable content right from the start, and always keep an eye on the finances. It's easy, folks.

Who is the "he" you guys keep referring to? The Man with No Name?
latest-2.jpg

The Imperial Matchmaker Kickstarter has launched!

We want to make 3 books for the Mists of Akuma eastern fantasy noir steampunk D&D 5E campaign setting: a mega adventure set in the metropolis of Sanbaoshi, an adventure path traversing all of Soburin, and a book of 8 iconic characters to be used as pregenerated PCs or rival NPCs!

The Kickstarter page has 9 free PDFs with illustrations of the iconics by Claudio Pozas and the Soburin Primer, a breakdown of the world and introduction for players or GMs alike. Check them out and see if either the 7-level campaign of arranged marriage ceremonies decreed by Emperor Hitoshi (finally ending the centuries-long feud between the four noble families from the Battle of Broken Spears), the Trade War adventure path (wrought with shinobi clans and merchant guilds in adventures all across the continent), or a book of uniquely badass Mists of Akuma characters (with builds from 3rd through 10th level) are right for you!

If you have any questions or want to know more, post here, comment on the project page, or stop by the Kickstarter where I'll be streaming live with the launch. Thanks!

I spotted this and I'm sure several Pubbers would be interested. The prices are good, especially if you like several of the minis.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...heresy-girls-miniature-set/?ref=bk-staffpicks

Here's a couple of pics.

1umvpbrct1g01.png

bkdymzjpw1g01.png

m2s0c7ub47f01.png

They are totally NOT for 40k though. Nope. Nada. WatchatalkingaboutWillis.

Khorne take your spine!

Just what I needed, another mini Kickstarter. Oh well, $65 it is.

I don't do miniatures anymore, but those are indeed kinda awesome.

So, we've had some discussion recently in regards to advertising on the forum. On the one hand, we don't want to discourage anyone from posting about their Kickstarters here. It's nice to get heads up on projects, and a lot of us like to support indy creators. On the other hand, we also don''t want the discussion board bogged down with nothing but ads for projects. Which brings us to this thread, we got a complaint about it a little bit ago, and at the time decided not to act, to wait and see. The issue is mainly that there isn't actually any conversation going on. It may be it doesnt push anyone's particular buttons here, or no one simply has anything to say. But we decided that while we have no problem with people posting a thread to advertise their KS, we don't want them to be continuously bumped up if the thread has no content. This last post basically doesn't even count as an announcement, its a percentile increase in backers.

So we decided to just ask that you please don't bump it anymore. If some conversation does start in the thread fine, but otherwise let it stand as it is. We're not the most populous forum, chances are 99% of posters who might be interested have already viewed it.

Last edited:
Sorry that I wasn't clear, but before my last post there was no Backer Goal (or GM screen being added to pledge rewards). So there was definitely something being announced. That's fine though and I'll stop promoting it here. Thanks for the heads up!

The Bat-cow has got me seriously tempted on this one again

a708e6a7ae005436ed6c2af0b359c5fe_original.jpg

Seems kind of odd to me if they had enough cash to license Batman why they would need to Kickstart the game.

Seems kind of odd to me if they had enough cash to license Batman why they would need to Kickstart the game.

due to the cost of the license, the game is ONLY available through Kickstarter. This is never going to stores

due to the cost of the license, the game is ONLY available through Kickstarter. This is never going to stores

Wasn't even just that. They lost money on Conan in retail. It's just the nature of the beast. Welcome to the new normal.

I considered it, but I never get to play games anymore unless it's solo, and even if this were, I like solo games with relatively small footprints, which this one doesn't seem like it would have.

Combine that with needing all my teeth pulled and it becomes a sad-face pass.

The Kickstarter campaign for this year's Travellercon is live. Travellercon is held in Pennsylvania every year in September or October. Get your Traveller edition warring on in the real world!*

* Don't do that.

Never knew there was a Travellercon. Why Pennsylvania?

Never knew there was a Travellercon. Why Pennsylvania?

It's been a thing since 2007. Why Pennsylvania? Probably because that's where the convention organizer lives.

I wanted to share a KS I’m backing, Dragon Heresy,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2101297466/the-dragon-heresy-introductory-set-fantasy-rpg

It’s from Douglas Cole that has written a lot of GURPS material and has KS two other products that came in on time or ahead of schedule. I really liked is grappling rules and use them for my OSR style gaming including in AiME and Palladium Fantasy.

His new game is a 5E fork more similar to AiME. It’s based on Norse Mythology and his experience doing Viking Martial Arts.

The reason I’m posting is that the big goal for the game is an offset print run at $16,000. I know we have 5E players here and Vikings are cool. Anybody else backing it?

I backed his Dungeon grappling project and he ran KS the way it should be: good communication and transparency. Product came early.

Wasn't really excited about his Dungeon Grappling project (I think the simple 5e rules are fine) but this looks more up my alley for sure.

Seems pretty focused on additional combat rules though, if I wanted pretty much all he has added here I think I'd just play Mythras or RQ.

I don't think I'll back it but I would be interested in picking it up once it is done if the reviews are good. Offset printing is certainly good news too.

Looks good. I'm not sure it's for me, but it's really good that it's funded.

I want to hear about your custom-made Viking shield made from aspen planks and butted together with hide glue.

I also think that Shields are under-utilized and under-used in RPGs beyond "bonus to AC" or "maybe some cover against ranged attacks".

For example: I'd love to have a rule in 5e in which you can negate all damage from one source in combat by sacrificing some of the shield's "durability". The tougher the shield, the more "hits" it can take. Shields shall be shattered etc...

I also think that Shields are under-utilized and under-used in RPGs beyond "bonus to AC" or "maybe some cover against ranged attacks".

For example: I'd love to have a rule in 5e in which you can negate all damage from one source in combat by sacrificing some of the shield's "durability". The tougher the shield, the more "hits" it can take. Shields shall be shattered etc...
CHeck out the newest edition of Hackmaster (5th?) If I remember correctly it does use shields as more that an AC bonus. It's been a while since I read the rules though.

There's a common rule in some OSR rules that you can sacrifice your shield and have it shattered to avoid a (probably deadly) blow. Easily ported into 5e. Just do it!

There's a common rule in some OSR rules that you can sacrifice your shield and have it shattered to avoid a (probably deadly) blow. Easily ported into 5e. Just do it!

Do any OSR games account for using your shield as a weapon?

Do any OSR games account for using your shield as a weapon?
d6 damage :smile:

(Although if you're in a game using encumbrance, you should probably have some sort of rule along the lines of "you can only wield one shield at a time, you can use a shield to attack or defend in a round but not both" else they become an optimal melee weapon choice.)

I just saw this and knew we'd have some members interested.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberandblood/saber-and-blood/description

It's the grim 17th century Middle Europe! A time full of war, lust, blood and glory! Become an ataman of a Zaporozhian Cossack’s band, lead a group of cunning Polish Nobles, or join forces with the cursed Deceived Ones in a brawl of vicious fencing combat! Saber & Blood is a card driven board game with unique fencing dice mechanics for 2-3 (4 players with unlocked stretch goals).

It's all going to come to en end. But Mantic is going out with a bang.

Just to collect all the stuff that's come so far...

288ce99edd167a1fa8b9bb7683ae9b30_original.png

5c522092c998948bfe14d4d9f6aff366_original.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back