Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well, it funded. It also got over $30K, so there's a GM Screen too.

I'm a bit of a sucker. I initially jumped into this just to get a copy of MS&PE I could use regularly. My copy, although unused in the heat of gaming, has massive sentimental value due to how I got it and is extremely beat up. Then hardcover entered into the deal, and then GM screens... So I ended up in for considerably more than I initially thought.

I have to admit that in a way I'm irritated. Initially this seemed like a pretty straightforward reprint delivered quickly, and that's why I jumped in. Everything was straightforward: just print the book. Then the spur of the moment stretch goals started happening. Suddenly the project involved the reprinting of modules and a GM screen and the creation of a poster. The scope increase does concern me, and I'll be surprised if the project isn't several months late now because of the extras.

Well... whatever.

MSPE is kind of an after thought game, from a small company that didn't get a ton of support even when it was new. I think they were surprised by the interest generated. It seems like they were not sure that they would even hit the $10,000 goal to do the reprint, but they blew past that in just a few days and had people asking for additional stuff so took the opportunity to breathe some new life into the game.

The screen is the only really new thing, and a screen shouldn't take long to whip up. Everything else is just reprints, and mostly already available as pdf so a little editing is all that it should take to get it out the door.

MSPE is kind of an after thought game, from a small company that didn't get a ton of support even when it was new. I think they were surprised by the interest generated. It seems like they were not sure that they would even hit the $10,000 goal to do the reprint, but they blew past that in just a few days and had people asking for additional stuff so took the opportunity to breathe some new life into the game.

The screen is the only really new thing, and a screen shouldn't take long to whip up. Everything else is just reprints, and mostly already available as pdf so a little editing is all that it should take to get it out the door.
I suspect that small games like this attract a bigger following over time, as long as they were doing something fresh:smile:. I mean, let's say 20 people are running your game. Let's also say that each year each of them ends up changing a player (not necessarily the same player), because people move to different cities, fall out of the loop, get married to a non-gamer, or other life circumstances:wink:.
Then, in 30 years, there are now 680 people who have been exposed to your system and might be looking for a new edition. Assuming half of them are on the Internet and learn about your KS campaign, that might be a surprisingly successful KS right there:grin:!

Great Lunden funded last night, and is now heading towards the first of the stretch goals. Here's hoping for the full set, which includes 64 pages of adventure!

Hey guys, just doing a signal boost for the Wiseguys Kickstarter.

I worked on their Quickstart, but have no affiliation with this book. It's a Savage Worlds setting book/toolkit for playing organized crime games (heavily inspired by the Italian Mafia, but not solely limited to it). Guys involved are good dudes, and I've thrown my money on the table for this one.

Still has just under two weeks left to jump on board, and tons of stretch goals have already been unlocked. The old Quickstart looks like it's been pulled down, but you can take a look at their new Adventure Edition-compatible JumpStart for free on RPGNow.

40607409653_9d6a83dde8_o.jpg

40607409983_e85b653d47_o.jpg

32630955937_8bb4496002_o.jpg

32630956167_fe6a239543_o.jpg

32630956097_3f1f251418_o.jpg

How long would it take you to paint that Tristram?

How long would it take you to paint that Tristram?

If I had sufficient free time, probably a month, but since that's in limited supply at the moment I can't say for sure Hope to get mine done before Wave 2 minis arrive

Glad to see they used the dark grey plastic that holds detail. That soft light plastic sometimes used is shit for detail.

Glad to see they used the dark grey plastic that holds detail. That soft light plastic sometimes used is shit for detail.

Yeah, Mantic know what they're doing. They've been leaping forward in the last few years, I guess not content to just be the "cheapo GW".

I have to say that I was really not expecting them to be anywhere close to on time with this KS either, I figured best case scenario 3 - 6 months delay, but everything has pretty much gone like clockwork.

In addition to the survey, a new update went out today announcing that Michael A. Stackpole is writing a new section for the core rulebook titled Now and Near Future. It will add material to update the RPG to the modern era by updating skills and adding new weapons, body armor, robotics, along with new world design guidelines that covers from the 1980s through the 2040s.

I love the idea of a gangsters game but have never found the right system and setting. This looks cool but I wish there were options for playing 30s/40s and 60s/70s era gangsters.

They have strongly implied that the full book will be adaptable in that regard. I think the goal is as much to make it a Savage Worlds resource for organized crime as it is one pure setting.

I love the idea of a gangsters game but have never found the right system and setting. This looks cool but I wish there were options for playing 30s/40s and 60s/70s era gangsters.
It's 1920s, but I like Made Men. It uses a variant of the L5R system. Sadly Wise Guys probably isn't for me. It looks good, but I can't get on with Savage Worlds.

Uhm... Am I reading this right?

So, if I pledge at the softcover or hardcover level, that doesn't pay for the softcover or hardcover. That just unlocks the ability to buy and pay for the softcover or hardcover when it's available?

So, if I went in at the softcover level, I pledge $20. Then at least 7 months later when it appears on DTRPG, I get a link so I can pay $15 + shipping for the book?

It’s not uncommon for books being fulfilled via DriveThru POD. Publisher builds their cut in up front, then you pay cost when it comes out.

1st edition of Fight! was a neat read, but I never got to play it. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Uhm... Am I reading this right?

So, if I pledge at the softcover or hardcover level, that doesn't pay for the softcover or hardcover. That just unlocks the ability to buy and pay for the softcover or hardcover when it's available?

So, if I went in at the softcover level, I pledge $20. Then at least 7 months later when it appears on DTRPG, I get a link so I can pay $15 + shipping for the book?
Yep. Pretty standard practice for small publishers, and for large publishers who can’t make international shipping cost less than your firstborn.

Like everyone has said, this is pretty standard nowadays. It’s great for smaller publishers, and customers outside of the US (Or whatever the publisher’s country is, if they’re not American), and the books would most likely have been printed PoD anyway, so there’s no risk of a drop in quality.

DTRPG are also good at logistics, which cuts a load of effort out for the publisher - no more having their homes overwhelmed by books, and spending a week carting stuff back and forth to the post office.

And as a bonus, you can order the game to ship alongside some other game you wanted to buy, which seems like it would cut even further on your shipping expenses. Just an idea for everyone:smile:.

Amusingly, my 6yo daughter seemed to like the art shown on the KS page. So you're now in the competition for producing her first personal RPG:grin:!
Of course, then I would need to buy at least a paperback for my own use, since the little one is kinda territorial about her stuff, so we'll see whether I can afford it...:tongue:

Only 42 hours to go but nearly all stretch goals funded so there's still a good chance to make Glynn come up with some more!

The artwork is all being done by Royce "FooRay" Southerland. He's a great artist and an easygoing guy. A short bio of his went up on the KS page; its omission was an oversight of which I am greatly embarrassed. :goof:

If I had the money, I would definitely back this.

When I get paid in a few weeks and the Kickstarter is still ongoing, I will definitely back this because I love the idea of a Fighting Game RPG.

This may be the closest we'll ever get to an official re-release of Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game

(Yes, I know of the 20th Anniversary Edition SF fan game but still)

So the new Savage Worlds Rifts Kickstarter just dropped. Obviously, if you're not a fan of Savage Worlds, this will be of limited appeal...but if you either a) are a fan and want the three existing books updated to Adventure Edition or b) are interested in the idea, their Maximum Rifts deal is $150 for the three existing books updated to Adventure Edition, plus three new World Books: Arcana & Mysticism, Blood & Banes, and Empires of Humanity...plus a box to put them in, with GM screen, updated adventure, dice and bennies.

And people who backed Rifts before get the updated PDFs of the core automatically.

For having the tough position of revising books that were released not that long ago to bring them in line with the new edition, I feel like they did a pretty good job of doing it without feeling gougey (and if you're a PDF guy, you're covered for no cost).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back