Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I meant to ask about that, but - how are the rules for emulating 3D games?
And how much do the moves' Keywords differ from the Elements in the current edition?

The rules for 3D emulation take a couple forms. First, modeling a 3D game is more likely to use a battle map rather than the presumed back-and-forth of the normal Range system. Second, you can use the rules for Attack Strings (which were also in 1st edition, though they were cleaned up in 2nd edition). Attack Strings prioritize short Combos of Basic Moves with an effect at the end of the them that duplicate the effects of Special Moves. So, for example, you might do an Attack String that consists of Basic-Basic-Basic, but which then Knocks Down the opponent. More Attack Strings and fewer "Special Moves." That's how you can take a Tekken's character's move list of 90 moves and reduce to about 20-25 (which is still pretty huge!)

The Keywords are an addition to Elements, not a replacement of them. The Keywords are intended to provide a "standardized vocabulary" of how Special Moves work in themselves and with each other. For example, rather than include the phrase "This move allows movement of 2 Ranges for a cost of 1 FS" on several Element descriptions, we just use the Keyword "Mobile." Keywords also sometimes affect how much an Element costs. In play, you will usually ignore Keywords.

The rules for 3D emulation take a couple forms. First, modeling a 3D game is more likely to use a battle map rather than the presumed back-and-forth of the normal Range system. Second, you can use the rules for Attack Strings (which were also in 1st edition, though they were cleaned up in 2nd edition). Attack Strings prioritize short Combos of Basic Moves with an effect at the end of the them that duplicate the effects of Special Moves. So, for example, you might do an Attack String that consists of Basic-Basic-Basic, but which then Knocks Down the opponent. More Attack Strings and fewer "Special Moves." That's how you can take a Tekken's character's move list of 90 moves and reduce to about 20-25 (which is still pretty huge!)

The Keywords are an addition to Elements, not a replacement of them. The Keywords are intended to provide a "standardized vocabulary" of how Special Moves work in themselves and with each other. For example, rather than include the phrase "This move allows movement of 2 Ranges for a cost of 1 FS" on several Element descriptions, we just use the Keyword "Mobile." Keywords also sometimes affect how much an Element costs. In play, you will usually ignore Keywords.
Thank you for the quick answer! It matters for the people who are, like me, fans of 3D games (since Virtual Fighter, I should add). I've never liked being unable to sidestep - although ironically, I don't even do it that much with some* characters.
Do you get any special benefits when using Evasion in 3D mode compared to 2D mode:smile:?

Well...I can't really see myself ignoring something like the Mobile Keyword, unless we're matched fighters who don't rely on Evasion or Ranged attacks, so I doubt we'd be ignoring them much:wink:.

*Playing with grapplers and powerful short-range strikers (Akira Yuki, anyone?) leads to closing in being the main tactic, and incidentally, I like those. That said, even they would step aside against guard-breaking attacks, for obvious reasons:grin:!

If you are a competent Akira player, than I don't want to play you in VF. :smile: I'm a hack Sarah Bryant player who has mastered two moves.

In addition to lateral movement (which can be done with a "2D setting" as well), there are actual formal rules for Side Steps.

Your observations nicely demonstrate that the game rewards players for learning how their Special Moves interact with other kinds of characters, who may fight very differently. I tried to demonstrate this in a simple way in the upcoming Quickstart rules.

If you are a competent Akira player, than I don't want to play you in VF. :smile: I'm a hack Sarah Bryant player who has mastered two moves.
Yes and no. In VF, I tended to play with Jackie, Pai, Sarah or Kage Maru...depending on my mood:smile:. However, that was on arcades. I've never played VF on anything else.
That said, I quite like playing Akira in DoA5LR (though I'm of the opinion that Kokoro, while using the same style, is better in some respects-but then my favorite is Gen-Fu:wink:).

In addition to lateral movement (which can be done with a "2D setting" as well), there are actual formal rules for Side Steps.

Are those different from Round One?

Your observations nicely demonstrate that the game rewards players for learning how their Special Moves interact with other kinds of characters, who may fight very differently. I tried to demonstrate this in a simple way in the upcoming Quickstart rules.
What fighting game fan would need that explicitly explained:grin:?

The side step rules are different in 2nd Edition because we realized that, to make them worth it, we simply said, "If you're going to use side steps, use a battle map." :smile:

There are rules for side steps without a map, but they are not much different than simple Evasion.

I think SW is a much better system for play since I love the goofy gonzo setting of Rifts but could never get into the rules system but the prices for the pdfs are a bit too rich for my blood at least with the current CAD exchange rate. Will have to wait for a sale or a Bundle.

I think SW is a much better system for play since I love the goofy gonzo setting of Rifts but could never get into the rules system but the prices for the pdfs are a bit too rich for my blood at least with the current CAD exchange rate. Will have to wait for a sale or a Bundle.
The three original books are only USD $25 on the Kickstarter.

Played a couple sessions of Savage Rifts. It was a blast. Pretty wacky stuff, but I never played the original Rifts so I can't say how they compare. I liked Savage Rifts enough to go out and buy the books, but the guy who ran the games moved to another store and I don't care to follow so I haven't played it since. :sad:

That's good to hear. I'm kinda in the mood to play a mobile fighter relying on long-ish Chain Strings for damage:smile:!

If you are familiar with the Mobility Quality from 1st Edition, it has been expanded into 4 related Qualities to better distinguish between Fighters who are better at Jumping or Fighters who are especially fast grapplers or Fighters with fast ground movement. So you can even choose what being a "mobile fighter" means.

If you are familiar with the Mobility Quality from 1st Edition, it has been expanded into 4 related Qualities to better distinguish between Fighters who are better at Jumping or Fighters who are especially fast grapplers or Fighters with fast ground movement. So you can even choose what being a "mobile fighter" means.
Sounds great!

And yes, I'm familiar with 1e and own basically the whole of it.

This seems like a good place to include some 2nd edition text for people:

Jumper: Some characters are able to jump more swiftly and with greater control than other characters. The Mobility Quality is a prerequisite for this Quality. A Fighter who is a Jumper can move 2 Ranges and attack with a Basic or do a Special or Super Move with the Mobile Element that allows 2 Ranges of movement and which also has the Aerial Element (see Chapter 4) with no cost in FS and no Accuracy penalty (as is the case with the Mobility Quality). The effects of this Quality cannot be used in conjunction with the Runner Quality. A character with the Big Quality cannot have this Quality.

Mobile Grappler: This character uses a lot of grappling techniques, yet moves into position for grappling more easily than most. Normally, in order to move one Range into Range 0 to use a move with the Throw Element (see Chapter 4), it costs 1 FS. A Fighter with this Quality does not have to spend FS to move into Range 0. A character with the Big Quality cannot have this Quality.

Mobility: This character can move swiftly and with greater control. Because of this, when the character moves 2 Ranges and then attacks with a Basic Move or a move with the Mobile Element that allows 2 Ranges of movement (see Chapter 4), he can choose to simply take a –1 penalty to Accuracy instead of spending 1 FS. If the character also possesses the Big Quality, there is instead no penalty to Accuracy, but the extra FS cost for movement is not applied. A character who possesses the Mobility Quality can spend an additional Quality to obtain the Jumper Quality (see above).

Runner: Some characters have faster ground movement than other characters. Normally, when a character moves 2 Ranges and attacks with a Basic Move, or simply moves 3 Ranges without attacking at all, the attack or movement is also considered Aerial, and thus subject to the Anti-Air Defensive Response (see Chapter 5). A character with this Quality can move in this way without it considered to be Aerial. However, if the character attacks, he cannot do a Cross-Up (see Chapter 5). The effects of this Quality cannot be used in conjunction with the Jumper Quality.

Big characters cannot get clo skilfully?
King and Zangief are disappointed:devil:!

I wouldn't call King Big by the definition of the Quality, and he is definitely a Mobile Grappler.

Zangief *is* Big, but I also don't think he qualifies as a Mobile Grappler. Getting him into position is definitely one of the challenges of playing him.

I wouldn't call King Big by the definition of the Quality, and he is definitely a Mobile Grappler.

Zangief *is* Big, but I also don't think he qualifies as a Mobile Grappler. Getting him into position is definitely one of the challenges of playing him.
There's a challenge in playing Zangief?

For me there is! :smile:

More generally, I'd offer that pulling 270s is harder than throwing fireballs, especially when you have to get in close and have somewhat slower ground speed.

Savage Rifts is good but the system does Gonzo Rifts. It is less flexible than the Megaversal system which allows for very different ways to play on Rifts Earth. My group likes to play small Rifts and we aren't very Gonzo at all. Savage Rifts wants the Gonzo and I don't think it simulates smaller and more intimate Rifts that well at all. But it is a good system.

I'm not backing the new game because I'm still a Palladium gamer and I own so many Rifts books. But, if there wasn't going to be another Fantasy Trip KS this month and we weren't moving into a new house I'd probably back it.

But, I am trying to stop buying games I don't play.

For me there is! :smile:

More generally, I'd offer that pulling 270s is harder than throwing fireballs, especially when you have to get in close and have somewhat slower ground speed.
I haven't played Street Fighter for over 20 years, but I've got some friends who would swear that there isn't any difficulty...:smile:
That said, I can see your point.

I hadn't played in at least ten years, when my son picked up one of my old SF games. He was just doing basic fighting, then I sat down and started busting out Fireballs and Dragon Punches. His mind was blown.

I hadn't played in at least ten years, when my son picked up one of my old SF games. He was just doing basic fighting, then I sat down and started busting out Fireballs and Dragon Punches. His mind was blown.

Yeah, my sons can play a lot of games with amazing skill. And I would never play my son in a racing game. But they still can't throw out Special Moves with any ease and so there is still one...small...area...in which dad is still pretty cool. :smile:

Far Away Land Old School Role-Playing Game by Simian Circle Games — Kickstarter

6cebb9f2417f1aa6a9d9f57a26582531_original.png

I'm in for all the newness, plus a few addons. Damn you SJG, I get paid too little to really be able to afford all this.

I'm in for all the newness, plus a few addons. Damn you SJG, I get paid too little to really be able to afford all this.

I'm going to addon another hardcopy if In the Labrynith. My copy isnt lasting from the rigors of play.

The original is a pretty good off-brand Adventure Time RPG. I don't think it would be improved by the move to OSR, but it would certainly help the game's reach. I don't see myself joining the KS unless I hear something special, but I'm still curious how this does. I would love to see a meatier presentation of some of the adventure ideas, for instance.

I'm going to addon another hardcopy if In the Labrynith. My copy isnt lasting from the rigors of play.

That's distressing. Is it the hardcover or softcover falling apart on you?

I've been intending to get a HC version.

In it to win it with Decks of Destiny! I hope this does as well as the first big kickstarter, as SJG's seems poised to do a lot with this game line. TFT has been my core game system for 40 years, so I'm living the dream right now.

My ITL core books are holding up fine; no production flaws or wear. I handle them more or less daily.

That's distressing. Is it the hardcover or softcover falling apart on you?

I've been intending to get a HC version.

My hardcopy is falling apart. The binding isn't that great or I got a dud. Mine came packaged with a bent corner too.

Hey Ulairi Ulairi. Nice to see you here. I was afraid another site might have soured your opinion of roleplaying. I always enjoy your comments!

So, the big question now is ... green and purple battlemat, or tan and red?

My hardcopy is falling apart. The binding isn't that great or I got a dud. Mine came packaged with a bent corner too.
That's unusual; you should contact SJG for a replacement. I'll bet they will be happy to do it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back