Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Decks of Destiny is great, and I'm in for about 150 dollars at this point. But if they do a Counters of Carnage campaign (or whatever name), I'll be in so hard. More counters, more terrain, especially outdoor stuff, that is something I really want. A bestiary would be cool too, although it is quite easy to roll your own in TFT. But if it came with counters, it would be amazing. Horses would be great, and all the other beasts.

They are definitely responding to messages like those in the two posts above. Another, important and complementary thing they've done over the first 6 months of the 'roll out' for the new system is that so far they are holding the line on revising or expanding the core system. Unless they change course, this will be a different sort of RPG system, where the word count on core system material and options stays nearly fixed (albeit with a fringe of stuff in zines and so forth), and almost all the growth is in physical components. There are loose parallels with parts of what they are doing (e.g., Dwarven Forge terrain; cardboard heroes), but I can't think of another system that has hit this mix of price point and quality and diversity of 'bits'. They're good enough business people that I expect they'll keep working the angles to see how much of a market they can make for this novel approach.

I'm definitely still in the honeymoon stage with Fantasy Trip. My views on things are still in a state of flux, not having had time to settle.

But at this particular point, I'm not really all that excited in conventional published GMed adventures, much less PDFs. At the moment, for that particular itch, I'd rather roll my own.

I think Decks of Destiny is more along the lines of what the game needs right now. It needs physical player aid components. It needs monsters.

To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind more environmental style counters, things like weapons, fire, walls, stuff like that. Those are the things I don't really have a lot of miniature options for.

Yeah, I'm also not at a point where pre-made adventures are a high priority, but I am warming up to the the idea of the cards for quick generation of an encounter or even as some plot points for generating a larger campaign. The cards appeal to me more than rolling on a chart. They could even be used to help with the age old question of what to do when some of the players don't show up. Random encounter, the PCs are camped and 3 of them (the 3 who showed up) are off collecting firewood when XYZ occurs, mini-adventure ensues.

I'm less interested in all the battle mats and counters, but they are Ok. I just happen to have a ton of figures already and have always preferred them to counters. The environmental counters on the other hand would be welcome as they are better than drawing stuff on the mat. The counters are also a bazillion times more portable than figures.

Ya don't say...

My collection of NPCs and monsters on 3x5 recipe cards has always been a key resource for GM'ing TFT. That stack plus a reserve of maps have always been my go-to resources for whipping up a night's adventure. And then you need to add to those two a second set of materials when you are actively playing at the table: hex maps and markers/figures for resolving tactical situations. Basically DoD is providing a commercial version of these resources (plus a few other things).

It's just that good... I forgot he was doing these video updates or i would have added them to one of the existing threads. I love that he's rolling randomly for the stretch goals.

Mantic hasn't announced it yet (they are a bit behind as their offices were broken into and burgled over the weekend), but the backerkit is back open and anyone can add to their pledge. I just grabbed the Wild Hunt expansion.

I am looking forward to getting my BackerKit notification about WH! In the meantime my box finally arrived and - by no means guaranteed in my neighbourhood - it avoided porch pirates until I got home from work. Whew!

Looking forward to unboxing this monster. It is enormous!

Sigil Stone Publishing, makers of Vagabonds of Dyfed, Dortoka: City on the Sea of Glass, and other products, just launched a Kickstarter for a game called Five Torches Deep. I'm a big fan of VoD, an attempt to marry PbtA with the OSR. It's a well-written, wonderfully laid out, simple and elegant game that I think mostly accomplishes its goals, with perhaps the need for a bit more PbtA in their OSR. Dortoka is an awesome city setting, very weird and flavorful. Also, Ben Milton of Questing Beast is consulting on the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sigilstonepublishing/five-torches-deep?ref=user_menu

Five Torches Deep is presented as an OSR version of 5E. It's stripped down and simplified as much as possible. It maxes out at level 9, only features 4 classes (warrior, thief, mage and zealot), and adds some interesting sounding wrinkles for casters.

bbe759fde6f7ef76191a7a039bc5c833_original.png

2c0864a18d016655b768933dae5dce45_original.png

1dfe64d14b4ed5da8d71eab7c6e7128b_original.png

Hopefully, Voros Voros doesn't scoop me on this one too.

This looks great, especially since it's system-neutral; just the trick for what I'm after, there needs to be more of this happening.

I must not be the only one who thinks going system-neutral is a good idea - this project is currently backed at 1748% and still has 22 days to go, so that looks like it's gonna have a good outcome!

I thought I was over kickstarter projects, but here I go again...
Backed !!! :grin:

Last edited:
A landscape format POD book doesn't sound like a good idea, because of the strain this puts on a book's binding. If I were to back this I'd probably go pdf-only.

doh

Nice artwork. There was a beta version of this on G plus but I didn't dig it that much, the mechanics seems a bit clunky instead of stripped down but I'd be willing to take a second look.

Mantic support already got back to me: they're going to mail a new Lobster Johnson! That was quick. Very classy support, I have to say.

Any other defects in miniatures (warped bases and weapons) I was able to fix with the old dunking in really hot water , gently bending then dunking in cold water. My Giant Frog Monster's base was so warped it wouldn't stand up properly (would always tip forward onto its face). Fixed it up nicely.

34ccd8695dbb872865604c84b2a0d756_original.png

Thanks to their patience, persistence, and an amazingly successful Kickstarter, Steve Jackson Games re-acquired the rights to The Fantasy Trip . . . and produced The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition. It arrived with a resounding thunk in a Cidri-scale box.

Then came the TFT Adventures. Ready-to-play support for The Fantasy Trip with maps, counters, and megahexes.

Now, in partnership with Steve Jackson Games, Gaming Ballistic is bringing you four new adventures for The Fantasy Trip.

3a7eceb56fa9691fd9d5c3fa02eda231_original.png

What’s Being Created
The campaign will fund publication of four new 16-page adventures, each of which is already written. The funds pay for editing, layout, art, maps, and a high-quality print run if that stretch goal is unlocked.

Each softcover adventure will sport a unique color cover, and contain black and white interiors on high-quality paper. Sixteen pages means the binding will be saddle-stitched (stapled).

The campaign is now LIVE!

Can you handle the Peril?

Check it out, and then see what exciting surprises Steve Jackson Games and Gaming Ballistic have in store as the campaign progresses.

Four Perilous Journeys: On Kickstarter Now!

Have you learned nothing from Maliszewski and Skarka? You're supposed to start writing only after you get the money!

Hah! As much as laughing hurts right now (bad sore throat), you got me.

On a serious note, my six prior kickstarters were either on time or months early because I never launch until the majority of the writing is done. I have no intent to start being late now!

Really excited to see the TFT magic spreading to new companies and authors! Will there be any hard-copy play materials (e.g., chits and MH tiles) that get included, or will these make use of those already sold by SJG? Regardless, I'm all in!

Hah! As much as laughing hurts right now (bad sore throat), you got me.

On a serious note, my six prior kickstarters were either on time or months early because I never launch until the majority of the writing is done. I have no intent to start being late now!
I only wish I had more money to pay to Steve Jackson Games and/or Gaming Ballistic for The Fantasy Trip product! Everything looks to be so high quality, I want it all.:heart: For some reason my wife thinks buying shoes for the kids and paying the mortgage should take priority...:trigger:

Really excited to see the TFT magic spreading to new companies and authors! Will there be any hard-copy play materials (e.g., chits and MH tiles) that get included, or will these make use of those already sold by SJG? Regardless, I'm all in!

Working that very question today. Stay tuned!

The Print Quartermaster pledge says it includes “All the token and icons you need to play each one”. What kind of stuff are you planning? (I have backed already, btw :thumbsup:)

The Print Quartermaster pledge says it includes “All the token and icons you need to play each one”. What kind of stuff are you planning? (I have backed already, btw :thumbsup:)
Printable counters for NPCs and critters. Probably some megahex tiles. If I can swing something more durable I will. I know that there’s a lot of interest in that sort of thing.

I'll be interested to hear about that. The core game uses a distinctive set of die-cut counters for characters and other figures, which get moved around on hex maps or hex-gridded, 1.5" per hex tiles that you lay out to make custom maps. The SJG adventures volume will come with die cut versions of both of these sorts of materials.

Looks cool. Simple, tight rules that are evocative yet easy to use at the table. Just my thing!

I have realized that I can use the Old-School Essentials https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/necroticgnome/old-school-essentials/posts/2502562 with the Trilemma Adventures Compendium https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/kickstarter-trilemma-adventures-compendium.2963/#post-97575. I will have an entire sandbox with new monsters to play in. How crazy is it that in 2019 I can get a brand new copy of the Basic/Expert rules and have new adventures to go with it.

I'm going to interview both creators for EN World. Just finished up talking to Michael Prescott about his maps and adventures and I'm talking to Gavin Norman Saturday morning.

I’m in for $50. If we can get die cut counters I’ll be in for more.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back