Hellboy RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
yeah, ported over from the boardgame.

They took 5th edition D&D and tacked on the investigation and Doom mechanics from the boardgame.

....Because that's how you make an RPG

giphy.gif
If these OOC mechanics were tacked on, they can also be tacked off.

I just can't believe, after the D20 glut that devastated the RPG industry, we are back to the point of people treating D&D like a universal system.

We know how this is going to go...

D&D becomes super popular.
Everyone makes games for D&D, or a version of their game for D&D.
People get sick of D&D.
Industry implodes, FLGS’s go out of business, dogs and cats start living together.
The Forge and 4e happen.

This is 2021, God’s turned up the Apocalypse Dial a bit high.
The first Forge eventually gave us 2d20.
Can we possibly survive a second one?

Yeah. D6, Savage Worlds, Mythras, Vortex, Unisystem, BESM, whatever that Free League system is called...all could have been great.
I could have even made peace with a variation of PbtA.
Of that list, I’d default to Savage Worlds for obvious reasons, but I’d also be happy with D6, either Unisystem, Mythras, PbtA. Not sure about BESM or Zero.

2d20 Hellboy anyone?
Better than D&D5, for sure, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

We know how this is going to go...

D&D becomes super popular.
Everyone makes games for D&D, or a version of their game for D&D.
People get sick of D&D.
Industry implodes, FLGS’s go out of business, dogs and cats start living together.
The Forge and 4e happen.

This is 2021, God’s turned up the Apocalypse Dial a bit high.
The first Forge eventually gave us 2d20.
Can we possibly survive a second one?

Come on now, the Forge had been going on for years, and IIRC the forum was even closed before or shortly after D&D4 came out.

I’m not quite sure we’ll see anything approaching the d20 bubble but yeah, using D&D5 for everything is not a great idea.

Of that list, I’d default to Savage Worlds for obvious reasons, but I’d also be happy with D6, either Unisystem, Mythras, PbtA. Not sure about BESM or Zero.

Better than D&D5, for sure, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Come on now, the Forge had been going on for years, and IIRC the forum was even closed before or shortly after D&D4 came out.
Heh, I didn’t say the Forge caused 4e, they were both karmic backlash from the d20 craze. :devil:
I’m not quite sure we’ll see anything approaching the d20 bubble but yeah, using D&D5 for everything is not a great idea.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back