there was a website I'm trying to find again. You could enter in a list like
  1. option a
  2. option b
  3. option c
and you would enter it in as text. you could have sub lists, so
  1. option a
  2. option b
  3. go to list 2
and list 2 would have a different set of options. I remember the website being white with black text. I know it's not a lot to go on, but it was quite useful for doing random generation of things.

there was a website I'm trying to find again. You could enter in a list like
  1. option a
  2. option b
  3. option c
and you would enter it in as text. you could have sub lists, so
  1. option a
  2. option b
  3. go to list 2
and list 2 would have a different set of options. I remember the website being white with black text. I know it's not a lot to go on, but it was quite useful for doing random generation of things.
It started with a P in the website name I think.

and thanks to your efforts, may I present the Giant Corporate Owned Comics Heroic Roleplaying Random Character Generator

it's not quite perfect, but it's not bad.
It does have some oddities. "Step back the die and pick..." Um . . . no, why don't you, as the generator, just give me the right number out of the gate. I don't know if that link leads to a default or what, but animal control + psychic invisibility sure sounds like a weird combo. And fun fact, the first random generation I did gave me 2 elemental control powers and the Altered Human background, enough to make my first, and only, MSH character I ever got to play, Earthstrike. Neat.

It does have some oddities. "Step back the die and pick..." Um . . . no, why don't you, as the generator, just give me the right number out of the gate. I don't know if that link leads to a default or what, but animal control + psychic invisibility sure sounds like a weird combo. And fun fact, the first random generation I did gave me 2 elemental control powers and the Altered Human background, enough to make my first, and only, MSH character I ever got to play, Earthstrike. Neat.
Well, the step back the die is a product of the actual generator it came from, the marvel heroic one. So, no blaming the tool there. There is likely a way to deal with that, but his is what I got done in an hour or so (also forgot to pick up my niece, oops)

I think NBOS Inspiration Pad Pro 3.0 could also create lists from sub lists like that that. Best part is it's free if you want to look at it. I kind of wish NBOS had continued to work on their stuff.

Thanks. Wasn’t aware of that one either. Was looking for something to make random marvel heroic characters quicker. Lots of dice rolls, which is fun and all, but sometimes you just need a new dude.

Amazingly, no one even mentioned finding 'tools' online in any context but the actual requested one.

Amazingly, no one even mentioned finding 'tools' online in any context but the actual requested one.
I think we were all a little afraid someone would post a meme of someone looking around this place and pointing.

I feel like after this thread I need a sign saying

"If you're looking for a tool, I'm your man!"

I can find lots of tools online. Some of them on this site. :clown:

I'm sure it's not that nobody thought of it, but probably either thought it had been done to death or - like me - couldn't be arsed.

MHR/GCOCHR random hero generator this is all but done. It is missing one option in the book, which is roll twice and take the most powers sets, but otherwise it covers just about everything. it even has a stopgap in place that prevents you from getting more than 10 powers in a single power set. I don't specify the energy type on blasts or resistances, but I do on control and specify movement types. It's kind of amusing to see what you can come up with

Very neat. Never got to play MHR other than the playtest.

Psychic Primary Power Set
Telekinesis d10 (Swapped for Mind control, because hero)
Teleport d8
Telepathy d8

Common Secondary Power Set
Durability d10
Animal Control d10

Add an additional SFX and an additional Limit to your primary Power Set.

Specialties
Acrobatics d8
Psych d8 (changed due to note below)
Medical d10

Notes
If you have Mystic Powers, you must take the Mystic, Cosmic, or both Specialties. If you have Psychic Powers, you must take the Psych, Menace, or both Specialties.
If you have Technological Powers, you must take the Science, Tech, or both Specialties.
If you have any Uncommon Powers, you may take the Cosmic Specialty.
You may take the Combat Specialty regardless of Powers.

Every power set gets at least one SFX. Some get additional ones

Not sure what else needs to change...
Name? Trimming? Suggestions?

Very neat. Never got to play MHR other than the playtest.

Teleport d8
Telepathy d8

Durability d10
Animal Control d10

Add an additional SFX and an additional Limit to your primary Power Set.

Specialties
Acrobatics d8
Medical d10

Notes
If you have Mystic Powers, you must take the Mystic, Cosmic, or both Specialties. If you have Psychic Powers, you must take the Psych, Menace, or both Specialties.
If you have Technological Powers, you must take the Science, Tech, or both Specialties.
If you have any Uncommon Powers, you may take the Cosmic Specialty.
You may take the Combat Specialty regardless of Powers.

Not sure what else needs to change...
Name? Trimming? Suggestions?
of that stuff, nothing. you need to add 2 sfx to your primary power set and one to your secondary, as well as limits. for SFX on the primary, I'd suggest

Unleashed: Step up or double any primary power set power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die. (a sort of don't know your own strength or barely in control sort of thing)

Afflict: Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting psychic complication on a target.

Limit: Conscious Activation: While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown primary power set. Recover primary power set when you recover that
stress or wake up. If you take emotional trauma, shutdown primary power set until you recover that trauma. (require a calm mind to do this one)

and for your second

Constructs: Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using primary power set to create animal assets.

Limit: Uncontrollable: Change any secondary power set power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power. (good one for actually caring about the animals you are controlling).

So, now you have a psychic non-human. His natural tendencies are towards animals, and he's pretty tough (dense flesh, whatever). If he's calm and awake, he's actually a strong psychic and teleport between places. Seems kinda dryad-esque.

Teleport d8
Telepathy d8

Unleashed: Step up or double any primary power set power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die. (a sort of don't know your own strength or barely in control sort of thing)

Afflict: Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting psychic complication on a target.

Limit: Conscious Activation: While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown primary power set. Recover primary power set when you recover that
stress or wake up. If you take emotional trauma, shutdown primary power set until you recover that trauma. (require a calm mind to do this one)

Durability d10
Animal Control d10

Constructs: Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using primary power set to create animal assets.

Limit: Uncontrollable: Change any secondary power set power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power. (good one for actually caring about the animals you are controlling).

Specialties
Acrobatics d8
Medical d10

Alright so far so good? I wasn't thinking fey, since a recent MSH character turned out to be one, but I imagine he does care for the animals. So another alien type might be fun. What do I do for SFX? Suggestions?
With the Medical so high and Durability, maybe he's a veterinarian from an alien race instead? I'll mull it over. Could Durability be a skin-tight force field? Or maybe it resembles an Earth animal humanoid? (not a big fan of that one as much done it a few times.)

What do I do for SFX? Suggestions?
Oh, sorry, those are Unleashed, Constructs, and Afflict. You are good to go there.

could be a master vet, sure. Animal control at d10 covers a huge area, at least a city, and maybe a United States state or an EU country. You can summon up a small army of chihuahuas. 101 Dalmatians is probably Tuesday fighting crime. Flock of starlings, swarms of bats, and so on.

this has been updated to include all of the common SFX and automatically add them. Also added Intelligence, which is in Cortex Prime but. not in Marvel, broke out growth and shrinking as per book. to facilitate quicker characters, I also typed all of the blasts and elemental controls. Some formatting was added. I have not added the types to resistances, but I probably will, and if you don't like it, you can change it :smile:

Here's most of one

1618719902996.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back