Heroforge: Has anyone used them?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Darrin Kelley

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
I have a couple of miniatures I created using their online creator. And I would like to order from them. But I also am wondering about the quality.

Has anyone here used them? And if so. How is the quality of the finished product?

I have gotten some from them, cast in "ultra detail". They are okay, about on par with Reaper Bones I'd say, or your average pvc boardgame miniatures. They have a more recent option of Gray plastic that I've heard is much better.

Yeah the guys in my game group bought a figure for me of one of my characters. She's gorgeous.

DdXnL0oVMAADt_F.jpg

We bought "premium plastic:" and they came out pretty well when we painted them. A bit pricey but if you can make designs you really like it can be worth it.

I've only purchased one figure from them so far but I was really happy with it. Far better than I expected, to be honest. My figure was in the hard grey plastic and the details were really sharp.

One of the very few experiences in my life where I paid a lot for something on a dumb whim and then when it arrived it was totally worth it.

I've made two minis with them so far... one improvised super hero and one space cowboy (for Star Trek). I'm pretty happy. Quality is better now than when I got my first one a few years ago. Not sure what the more expensive ones are like.

I would suggest you be careful when designing to not have any avoidable weak points, at least on the cheaper ($30?) ones. My super hero guy broke at the ankle (first one, 2014). The guitar my doctor had broke as well (2017), but he was also holding it out, so the pose itself was asking for trouble. Again, was using one of the cheaper casts.

Both painted up nicely, though. So, be nice to it and it should be fine :smile:

I've a friend with one, it seems alright. It was made earlier on, and they've improved since then, I believe.

Both of my figures from Heroforge are due to be delivered saturday. I'm anxious to see them. Very much looking forward to having them in hand.

I hope you enjoy them and get years of fun out of them :smile:

My miniatures arrived a few minutes ago. I pulled them out of the packaging. And they are absolutely beautiful. The brass is even more striking than I originally believed it would be.

My miniatures arrived a few minutes ago. I pulled them out of the packaging. And they are absolutely beautiful. The brass is even more striking than I originally believed it would be.

Gotta get us some pics!

I sent out my order to Heroforge today. Two 30mm figures in brass.
Were they in brass or bronze? I played around with their customization tool, and the only materials options I saw were plastic, premium plastic, steel, and bronze.

Mind you, there's no way in hell I'm dropping $100 on one 30mm miniature, so this is just idle curiosity.

Brass.

if it had been even a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have made this purchase.

But I really love the characters I had done. So I wanted something permanant.

The choice of brass was strictly due to durability. Plus, I figured that if I was going to do it? Why not go big?

Last edited:
Their plastic sculpts are (or were) very brittle and prone to breakage (much worse than Bones minis or even most boardgame minis). The metal options look awesome.

I just painted one of the $30 minis for a friend of mine:
https://samonmaui.com/2018/08/26/painting-a-3d-printed-mini/

The resolution has gone up, so the detail and smoothness is better than the last time I ordered from them back in January 2017 (which in turn was better than December 2014). It still feels a little rough when painting, but since its not perfectly smooth anyhow that's understandable. Overall quite happy with the mini he made, and I think it painted up nicely.

I wanted to give a bit of an epilogue to the situation with my miniatures.

I had issues with transport. So I had to find a place to get a small case to carry my figures in.

A friend from my game group works at a company that had a solution. A small case that ended up costing me a rounded off total of $7 USD.

The case was gotten from a company called Orvac Electronics. And the case came with padding included inside. And has a ridiculous level of security built in. You can put two padlocks through the latches. To make sure absolutely nobody is penetrating that case.

http://www.orvac.com/

If GW did this allowing all weapon combos and charging even more than their usual “Prison Rape“ price point, they’d basically be the entire British economy.

they're already worth more than British Oil, as announced a few months ago

I have a friend who does a really good job, and other friends bought a 3-D printer, so all I did was buy and STL but it came out very very nice. Not as nice as these chaps, but still! I can't paint anymore due to shaky hands. It sucks.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back