Hex Kit

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So this on G+ yesterday. Thinking I want to check it out, because I'm wanting to go homebrew with my next D&D game.

I like the look of the art. I do also like some of the Inkwell upgrade kits though, which weren't available the last time I played with it.

I use Hexographer, but this looks interesting. It seems to get a little busy when you have a scale with lots of small hexes, but looks nice with it scaled for larger hexes. I could see using Hexographer for maps of the overall sandbox and using this to make interesting maps focusing on smaller areas.

I love it (was a backer) because I liked the art style and the usability of the software is pretty intuitive and minimalist.

I agree, though, that unless you're particular, a map can look like messy stained glass. I'll try to post an example of what I've done so far (when I can)...

I get that criticism. There are so many different tiles available that you could go overboard, making it look really busy.

OTOH, they are distinctive and equally important to me different. You can pick a theme run with it, and make something nifty.

Yeah absolutely: plus one can create custom tiles. You could theoretically change the hue and saturation of the existing tiles and make your own (which is okay with the developer as long as you don't re-sell them as your own).

...or just run the completed map through an image editor like Photoshop to reduce the overall saturation and brilliance.

This thing looks really cool!

Thanks for linking this, JamesV. Gonna buy it just because they offer a linux version.

Anyone have any good tips on "zooming in" on a hex? Mapping in finer detail?

Anyone have any good tips on "zooming in" on a hex? Mapping in finer detail?
If you mean child maps, Hex Kit cannot do that IIRC.

if someone wants lots of functions and tools out of their hex mapper, Hexographer might be a better choice IMO.

Yeah, as I was playing around with the free version of Hexographer and saw they offered that in the pro version. That might have swayed me.

I also put in to the Hexographer upgrade (aka Worldographer) KS that ran 2-4 months before Hex Kit. It's a bigger project, so it's not delivered yet.

When I have both, I should not be a bum and play around with both to make some comparisons.

It's not? I noticed there was a bundle on the site that said it was in beta, implying you got it if you ordered.

Sorry, you're right that the beta is available. I just haven't been paying enough attention. Yeesh!

I haven't done much playing with the Worldographer beta yet. I'm actually putting stuff together for a new campaign, so I am reluctant to do it on a potentially unstable program. Once I have the basics of my campaign ready, I am going to dive into it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back