Hey Star Wars GMs...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I tried running a Star Wars campaign about a year ago using WEG’s anniversary 1st edition. The rules were great but I found little interest in running games in the Star Wars universe for some reason.

Empire Bad. Bounty Hunters and scum an villainy. Rebels and Jedi good. I dunno I got bored. I can’t figure out why because I’ve enjoyed all the tv series lately.

The least exciting replies are...

1. D6 (1st Edition) or d20 (1st Edition).
2. D6.
3. D6.
4. D6.
5. Nope.
6. Nothing.

The rules were great but I found little interest in running games in the Star Wars universe for some reason.
I'd have no interest in running/playing with that specific IP... waaaaaay too much baggage... but something that approached that aesthetic, a sort of deco-era scifi pulling from pulps and serials, that didn't feel tied to any 'canon', that appeals to me.
Maybe using Classic Traveller or M-Space.

I'd have no interest in running/playing with that specific IP... waaaaaay too much baggage... but something that approached that aesthetic, a sort of deco-era scifi pulling from pulps and serials, that didn't feel tied to any 'canon', that appeals to me.
Maybe using Classic Traveller or M-Space.
*ahem* Worlds United

I’m surprised we haven’t gotten “D&D 5e” or “2d20”.

I know. Honestly, there's fan 5e conversations that ain't bad (if you WANT to play Star Wars on 5e...). 2d20 Star Wars would be as bad (for me) as the FFG version.

I've always run the FFG version. The dice just clicked with my group, can't say why - they just did.

I got around the IP issues by stating up front that while anything from the movies or TV series were fair game, we were going to be in some other remote part of the Outer Rim. While we might hit a few places we've seen on the screen before, it would never be at the same time as any established characters, and we would never, ever, go to Tattooine.

And that worked. We hit exactly the "dirty space truckers pay for being freedom fighters by taking the odd crime-adjacent job" vibe that made us all happy. I miss that group, and I wish it were easier to catch that same excitement playing online.

I treat the SW canon, in all its variations, as somewhat optional. It's not a stick to be used in game by the GM or a player to make with the badwrongfun.

I always sort of wondered if, with the right group, you could run a game where the PCs accidentally say... exploded the Falcon on takeoff from Mos Eisely, and then needed to try to make things right because of the meta knowledge that the plot just went so off the rails.

1) My table loves Saga Edition. I like the FFG NDS system a little bit more, but they don't like some of the ambiguities (such as range increments).
2) Tough one, but I'd say FFG for ease of play but Saga for breadth. Characters are a snap to create, but if you want to get a little more in depth, Saga's Scavenger's Guide is an awesome, comprehensive books on the subject.
3) I think Saga is the best here, too (IMO). The rules are easy and fairly straightforward when it comes to designing a ship from scratch or modifying an existing ship. But when it comes to replicating a ship (say, for instance, you want to make an X-Wing from scratch), it doesn't work as well.
4) I think my favorite was FFG, at least on a freighter or multi-crew ship. It felt more like individuals working together to get though the fight, lowering ship strain, manning guns, piloting, jamming computers, and so on. I think fighter combat, I preferred Saga.
5) No.
6) Nothing, I play as-is. I probably would for WEG if I were to run it today, though.

I liked a lot about the Saga edition, except the levelling. I know that’s a key part of the d20 system, but I just feel like in Star Wars the characters should be able to grow more organically like in d100 systems.

Levels prevented me from running the kinds of campaigns I had in mind.

But otherwise it was a system that worked fairly well.

Still, my first love is always going to be d6, even though I didn’t actually like some parts of it.

1. What system do you use?

I would use QuestWorlds.

2. What system has the best robot construction rules?

That doesn't interest me at all. I would just make a Character using QuestWorlds and give it a Robot Keyword.

3. What system has the best ship construction rules?

That doesn't interest me at all. I would just make a Character using QuestWorlds and give it Keywords reflecting what type of ship it is and some specifics.

So, a ship could have a type of X-Wing (Manoeuvrable, Fast, Weapons). That's as complex as I need to get. If I want more crunch, I'd give it several keywords. However, I wouldn't go down to the detail of how many airlocks a ship has, that shouldn't be on its character sheet, just on a deck plan.

4. What system has the best ship combat rules?

I don't know, I'd just use QuestWorld's standard resolution techniques.

5. Does anyone use the X-wing system for ship combat or any of the other war games for fleet battles or ground battles?

I haven't seen it.

6. What have to Frankensteined in to you SW game ruleswise?

Nothing, QuestWorlds should be enough to run a fun Star Wars game.

I've never GM'd Star Wars. I have toyed with the idea, considered and discussed it. I mainly think blaster combat could be fun to play out using GURPS. I've got as far as a folder with many character pictures suitable for counters, some deck plans, and a set of another Star Wars GM's extensive house rules (for GURPS, of course).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back