Homebrew Settings

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Which is a shame. Sounds like a great fantasy heartbreaker in the making.
I often reflect back on how much more creative I was with much less official material to work with.
These days I have libaries of rpgs books, yet only about 10% of my adolescent creativity from thirty-five years ago.

If my parents hadn't of thrown my original scrap books out, I may well have returned to the setting and retitled the cultures with non-Gloranthan names.

I also had a recent notion of rebooting my old setting with Thennla (using Mythras), because there is only a few Thennla supplements available.

I wish there was just a bit more Thennla resources - perhaps double what there is available, but that's about it - just enough to ignite my imagination, but not enough to engulf it like the current state of Gloranthan lore (which I absolutely love, but it can be all encompassing at times)

Thennla hits alot of beats for me that I was getting from the old RQ2 Core Rules box and RQ2 Companion book, and I think I could use it as scaffolding quite well to rift off . I could easily include some retrapped Meeros stuff, as well as retrap Mythic Babylon and Mythic Constanople for the Thennla setting.

We'll see, it's on the backburner, but I surprisingly may return to it some day.

Last edited:
I'm necroing this thread as the OP !

Everyone feel free to share your homebrew ideas in this thread - regardless of whether they are academy-award winning, or cracky wacky gonzo fever dreams
All those Lost Dogs have a Kennel here !!!

Last edited:
In my setting some magitech 'electronics' literally runs on magic smoke. Like little CO2 cartriges of the stuff. Your computer doesn't have a bus or wires, that's done by the magic smoke plus a few runes (saves space & reduces heat).

Of course the stuff is terribly toxic, inhaling it might as well be snorting powdered warpstone. And making it cheaply on an industrial scale produces huge vats of corrosive mutagenic slime. Which is a massive benefit for a GM working up adventures and exciting places to have fights.

I don't think I have ever run in a canned setting as written. If I have run in one, it is like 3I or WoD or Trek, where I have the structure and maybe some history level social movements but can build my space inside of.

Other than that, I build.

I mean I GMed Fringeworthy. That is a whole new setting every one and a half sessions (on average). I think I have gotten pretty good at it.

Oh and if you want to practice some, there is the current edition of the GURPs Game. (of the 38 listed, I would game in 30 of them and probably play in any of them. (If you hunt that thread, there are 13 more, which I would run 12 of them.)

1)* Pulp Tomorrow (1039) Modern (1,6) Lost World (3,6) and another roll on A (Pulp)
2)* Jigsaw (1045) 4,2 Non Stellar Sci Fi + 2,2 Conspiracy/ Illuminati
3) Stupor Mundi 3,2 Medieval (Euro) Fantasy + 6,2 Templars.
4) Time Cop-ish 5,1 (Time Travel) + 2,2 (Illuminati) + 1 (roll on Table A again) + 5,6 (Urban Fantasy).

5)* Fantasy Project 06 Borderlanders? Game from Shelf (1,5) CtL 1- Table A (3,6) Generic Adventure Fantasy.
6) Last Song Espionage+Horror
7)* The Empowered Age (1059)
2,1 Super Heroes 6,2 Anthro/ Furry Gaming and B - 3,4 Kinds
8)* ++ Hot August Nights (under The Blue Moon) (1060) Super Hero and non-stellar sci-fi
9)* A framework for a Celestial Zoa Game 6,6 Angels/ Demons 5,2 Poly World Dimensional Travel and 3,6 Generic Adventure Fantasy

10)* The Rising Stars (1061) (4,2) Non Stellar Sci Fi + (3,2) Horror
11)* ++ New Tharsis (BlackBird)
12)* School 417 (1073) 6,3 TransHuman (6) so 5,3 Anime Style and 6,2 Anthro/ Furry Gaming
13)* Knights of the Star Order (1074) 3,6 Generic Adventure Fantasy (D&D, OSR) (1) 4,4 Mecha (and Kaiju) SuperHero
14)* Resistance Project 003 (1075) 1,6 Modern Action/ Drama (and 5) 2,2 Conspiracy/ Illuminati and 6,5 War

15)* The Shroud of the World (Arachnophobia warning) 4,2 Non Stellar Sci Fi (3 for 1 B) 1,4 B-Movie (Monsters, Atomic Horror)
16)* ++ Shields of The World (1078) 3,5 Fantasy in Age of (Gaslight) with a roll of 4 2,1 Super Heroes and 1,4 Monsters
17)* It is a Second World 1,6 Modern Action/ Drama (1 for an A) 3,6 Generic Adventure Fantasy
18)* The Mysti Shroud (1080) 3,2 Medieval (Euro) Fantasy (3 B only) 3,3 Ice Age
19)* For Honor and The Way 6,6 Angels/ Demons (5 for) 2,3 Dueling - Martial Arts and 3,2 Horror

20)* ++ Shroud of the World Part II (EVEN MORE ARACHNOPHOBIA WARNING) (1082)
21)* The Great Gang War (1083) 2,4 Pulp (4 for) 6,5 War 5,1 Time Travel
22)* The Circle of Ones 6,5 Gods/ Pantheons 6 for two As 3,1 Non-Earth Fantasy & 1,5 Favorite/ Random Game from Shelf (Legacy War of Ages)
23)* Circle of Wizards 5,2 Poly World Dimensional Travel and 6 for 1,4 Favorite/ Random Tokusatsu (K Riders) & 3,6 Generic Adventure Fantasy
24)* Jumpers (1085) Time Travel and a 4 for Near Future

25)* ++ Battlecraft (1087) Sci-Fi Vehicle
26)* The Bauhinia (1088) 2,1 Super Heroes, 5 for 2Bs 2,1 China Asia and 4,3 Near Future
27)* Metalines 1,3 Favorite/ Random Book Property (Lord Darcy) 2 (for 1 B) 3,2 Horror
28)* ++ The Question? Meta
29)* Earth Z144 6,1 Comedy Toons Games 4 for A 1,4 Favorite/ Random Tokusatsu and B Africa

Pg 2
30)* ++ The Cubes SciFi

-------------
Previous Threads to remember
Post 25* Mars +Mecha well this has become a trend for me. This is another Tales of the Neo Frontiers unit.
Post 38 Camelot Martial Arts
Post 41* Ice Age +Atomic Horror
Post 43* Fantasy + Aliens (1051) (Elves)
Post 53* Special Division 008 Конь (Russian for Knight Chess Piece) (1053)
Post 59* Camelot+Monsters (1055)
Post 60* Illuminati and Steampunk (1056)
Post 61* Hell's High Waters, The Darken Seas (1054)

1072) Galaxy Defenders

[cue catchy 60s jazzy cartoon sound track]

Voice Over with Image of the Galaxy: [reverb]The Galllllllaxy DE fennnnn Dersssss[/reverb]

Voice Over: They are the mightest agents of the Science Patrol. Banded together, they take on threats to the peace and stability of the Galactic Confederation and all peace loving lifeforms.

[cue character montage with each character's name and blurb]

Voice Over continues: over image montage: Travelling on the Ship Aeon (An Synthetic Intelligence Cruiser), they travel the space ways - investigating and stoping every warlord, crime lord, and minion of The Shadow Empires.

The Galaxy Defenders!
In Color!

Yes, because sometimes old school is the best school.

They are Galactic/ Sci-Fi super heroes of the Hanna Barbara/ Alex Toth school of things (Space Ghost, Galaxy Trio, Mightor, Herculoids, and a big dash of Johnny Quest as seen here: http://www.tothfans.com/ ). Sure continuity is a little light here, but it is all in the name of fun.

1070) The Next Step (Tomorrow People - The Cyberpunk edition)

We know that Humanity will evolve over time. At some point, Humanity will change - a few at first, then most, then all. When that point will occur is the unknown.

It seems like you are in a street level cyberpunk campaign. You are not hot shot runners, you are people who are just getting by. You are in between street zones and suburb zones, with ages between high school and early college. You are a little different from most. You just Know things. Then there are other things that happen. Some of it seems like nothing, other things are things you are keeping secret. Still you know these people. You Know these people you are with. They are kinda like you.

Eventually one of you learns "The Tricks"... how to make these little things happen for you or on command.

Now you are trying to do things you feel the need to do and avoid the corporations from exploiting you and your powers.

Take A Cyberpunk campaign setting of your choice... then add some paranormal abilities...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomorrow_People
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_People and check out the whole series concepts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Trax If you want to deal with Mutants and evolutions

I often reflect back on how much more creative I was with much less official material to work with.
These days I have libaries of rpgs books, yet only about 10% of my adolescent creativity from thiirty-five years ago.
Same here, but I think it's normal.

The brain can only handle so much at any given time. If you weigh it down trying to remember official lore and figuring out how to weave it into your game, it doesn't leave much leeway for creativity.

Without a huge library you have a need to fill and the mental bandwidth to fill it.

Personally I feel more creative with less, but unfortunately my output quickly becomes redundant (i always return to the same tropes). So I content myself with my massive library and overall lack of creativity.

Personally I feel more creative with less, but unfortunately my output quickly becomes redundant (i always return to the same tropes). So I content myself with my massive library and overall lack of creativity.
Steal from everywhere. I have a setting where I ripped off ripped of wikis of: Traveller, Star Wars, Halo, Spelljammer, Planescape, Shadowrun, WH40k, Mass Effect, Barsoom, Flash Gordon, assorted kaiju movies, a whole pile of space anime, and... others...

Lots of stuff in there I would never have thought of.

Weirdly, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Buck Rogers, and a bunch of others you'd think would be useful weren't because their wikis are focused on synopsis of actions and have crap for setting or background info.

Homebrews...

My 23rd Letter game is a homebrew based on the Near Now...with psychics and spies. A Technothriller which steals liberally from Scanners, Firestarter and The Fury as well as a few others. It was made because there wasn't a game like it. The system started out as the skills system for our unpublished far future sci-fi exploration game but I took a weekend to write up rules and despite some skepticism ran it for our group. It pretty much dominated our play for a couple of years - more as an action technothriller 'gun game' than about the psychics. It had the right amount of verisimilitude for the physicists in our group (our group was 2 physicists, 3 biologists and 1 layabout).

My long running superhero campaign - Watchtower - thousands of hours of play, dozens of players is entirely homebrew and based on Golden Heroes but grew out of Original Character Marvel Superheroes Game (the Faserip one). I started my making my own teams and then it was more fun to hodge-podge enemies than to use the Marvel villains RAW. We have some memorable games, some memorable characters. Some of it has ended up in my Beyond Human game where we establish the common origins for all superheroic abilities (it's Azathoth). We have more cthulhu stuff in there but it's not mythos heavy. Part of the reason is that when we were using Golden Heroes for the game, we started using Cthulhu adventures in White Dwarf due to the lack of published materials (and frankly the two published adventures for Golden Heroes fit that narrative).

My current fascination, Excession, is kinda built on the foundations of that Watchtower game but with additional influences. Which at the moment range from The Authority/Planetary to Godzilla and still with the shadow of the Mythos and a lot of pop culture things. We've had a short playtest and I'm gearing up for the next one.

I spend a lot of time on some of the more creative Reddits throwing ideas into the wind on writing subs. I've more imagination now than I had when I was a teenager and a lot more general knowledge. Nothing is better than someone saying "I like that".

My homebrew Wuxia setting, City of Fragrant Pearls, is nominally (but inobtrusively) set in the Upper Southeast of BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan 's Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate setting, so I don't know if it counts. On the plus side, its systemless form is basically posted as a status with a huge number of replies in my profile, along with notes resulting from the actual sessions, so you can easily check it:thumbsup:.

I mean, it's probably worth exactly as much as I'm asking for it, but hey, the price range gives it a chance. Also, it's less than 4000 words after you prune out the timestamps, as we determined in another thread:gooseshades:!

My homebrew Wuxia setting, City of Fragrant Pearls, is nominally (but inobtrusively) set in the Upper Southeast of BedrockBrendan BedrockBrendan 's Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate setting, so I don't know if it counts. On the plus side, its systemless form is basically posted as a status with a huge number of replies in my profile, along with notes resulting from the actual sessions, so you can easily check it:thumbsup:.

I mean, it's probably worth exactly as much as I'm asking for it, but hey, the price range gives it a chance. Also, it's less than 4000 words after you prune out the timestamps, as we determined in another thread:gooseshades:!
Why did you post your City of Fragrant Pearls setting in exactly 76 short posts? Do you hate people? And also out of order - section 2, then section 3, then section 2.1 and after that section 1.10. I take this personally...

Other than that, it looks cool. There is a whorehouse and a lot of eunuchs - 10/10.

Why did you post your City of Fragrant Pearls setting in exactly 76 short posts? Do you hate people? And also out of order - section 2, then section 3, then section 2.1 and after that section 1.10. I take this personally...

Other than that, it looks cool. There is a whorehouse and a lot of eunuchs - 10/10.
1. You counted them:shock:?!?
2. It's based on my posting methodology. Basically, I post until I have no other objects to add, then I stop. Then I return to it the next day, or week...

Also, I can give you a file that fixes most of the issues with out of order entries::honkhonk:.

1. You counted them:shock:?!?
Yes, I was curious.
Also, I can give you a file that fixes most of the issues with out of order entries::honkhonk:.
Sure why don't you post it right to this thread? I think it's great to have practical examples in here, isn't it? Or the Resources section of the forum.

I found it interesting that you've defined a lot of NPCs in your setting. I guess it makes the game world more alive during play, is that so?

I found it interesting that you've defined a lot of NPCs in your setting. I guess it makes the game world more alive during play, is that so?

NPC's indeed makes the world feel more alive. Vampire: The Masquerade and it's relationship maps taught me that. I sort of knew it before, but Vampire made it stick.

361519cd18bf31414f61f9987ebe6ec177d88515.jpg

1066) The Phoenix Foundation v2 ** pre-post appoc

Founded because of the threat of nuclear war, The Foundation was set up to "preserve humanity and society" in case of a catastrophe. The foundation was supported by a number of academics and rich industrialists. To preserve society started with a number of underground and out of the way bunkers. They were stocked with food, water, books, and seed banks. The bunkers became more and more ambitious as the cold war raged on. They were stocked with heavy equipment and fuel for them as well.

In the late 50s, a partially underwater bunker called Omega Command was created. It was assumed that the nuclear winter would lower water levels and it would be expose it for easier access. It had the centralized computer banks storing information and plans (with paper/plastic tape storage to be immune to EMP) and communication links to most other bunkers (called Angel Sites). Some older bunkers became supply caches, as newer ones would support more people. Some bunkers were put in "odd places" near cities or town because the backers wanted to be able to reach them in the end time.

By this time. these bunkers had small groups of people in them at all times, just in case.

In the 70s the Meteor Extinction theory for dinosaurs brought a new reason to bunker in. Even if humanity didn't destroy itself, nature could by meteor, volcanic eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera, environmental degredation causing madness, bad weather, or mutated animals, or any number of "end world" scenarios. It was in the 70s that the various cryogenic and long sleep techniques were discovered.

At this point, the foundation forked its efforts. Angel Sites were continued and worked upon. The Action Arm was created. The Foundation supported various "agents" to promote and protect world peace and act against those that might use "environmental forces" for their own gain to the detriment of others. Lastly, Starcommand was created to investigate the possibilities of a real space habitat - allowing humanity not to have all of its eggs in the one blue basket. The Cryo and deep sleep options were being implemented for "core personnel to assist the rebuilding process". These Ice Angels are supported caches of equipment in their immediate site and nearby. By the early 80s all three segments of the Foundation were going strong. Soon the Foundation owned (through proxies) several submersibles and a decommissioned carrier (the new Omega Site). These non-land angel sites were to increase survivability. The Foundation and its board helped broker a number of peace deals and arms talks (from behind the scenes). They support the one public and several hidden Seed Banks. The Foundation is building an Antarctic base for survival and research purposes.

Angels Sites and "Angels" (Action arm agents) are the emphasis of the foundation these days. Starcommand has a strong design arm, but not enough money or resources to implement any of the off world plans. (Though there are plans should there be a need for evacuation from a long range death rock). They do have a large public network of monitoring satellites watching the planet and deeper space.

NOTE: there is a covert element of Starcommand that is actually preparing to launch cyro-astronauts into a long solar orbit that will intersect roughly with Earth every 130 years. However, they are doing the funding and building by ... less than ideal means. There are Angels investigating some of these robberies and industrial espionages. They are a long way away from tracing them, but they are making the Ark Project very nervous.

--) Angel Eyes (Pick a decade, I would say the 60s or 80s, but find what you will)
You work for The Foundation. Your job it maintain world political and ecological stability by any mean neccisary. Keep yourself and your work secret by pretending to be other organizations. You have access to the coolest toy of your decade. (You will occassionally recruit ice angels and bunker staff).

--) Phoenix Rising - Omega The year is 2012 and the Mayans were right in an action movie way. Storms, earthquakes, and electromagnetic solar storms, did a good job of mangling Humanity. Omega (The Carrier) and the six Deep Angels survived the devastation of technology and society. (Omega took some time to get back online, but it was mostly low tech for just this reason.) It is time for you to go and pick up the pieces.

--) Phoenix Rising - Sky Angels You were a crew of 60 astronauts in deep hybernation to help rebuild Society, should devastation occur. You find yourself in another sector of space, with a "thriving" space going society. The Empire is a bit too autocratic and elitest for your tastes. However, once you manage to upgrade your ship... perhaps you can do something about that.

--) Phoenix Rising - Site 27 You were assigned to a safe bunker, to be there as support. It was somewhere in Central Africa. It has been over 100 years since your angel site has received a ping from Omega command. The environmentals outside checked out as "moderately safe". You and core scouts are auto activating. Time to take a survey, then activate more cryostaff. It is time to help rebuild.

Steal from everywhere. I have a setting where I ripped off ripped of wikis of: Traveller, Star Wars, Halo, Spelljammer, Planescape, Shadowrun, WH40k, Mass Effect, Barsoom, Flash Gordon, assorted kaiju movies, a whole pile of space anime, and... others...

Lots of stuff in there I would never have thought of.

Weirdly, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Buck Rogers, and a bunch of others you'd think would be useful weren't because their wikis are focused on synopsis of actions and have crap for setting or background info.
We have a similar set of influences! Also I use a lot of musical influences in mine and I've found concept albums to be particularly useful.

One of the longest and most indepth homebrews I wrote (now lost to the vagaries of single density floppy drives and no way to read them) as "Houses of the Pentitent". A post apocalyptic world where humanity survived underground following a catalcysmic event (or series of events - history was unclear) and had fractured into different clans/households. Each one with it's own idiosyncratic style. The only thing the houses could agree on was the dangers posed by independent attempts to go topside and that the Church of the Eyes was a benevolent organisation (it wasn't).

I even had hidden metaplot - humanity had been attacked by a Skynet like AI and it, and other forks, had colonised the surface of the Earth. Deference to the Ai's had mutated into worship and thus the church of the Eyes was born, seeking to keep mankind underground and under the thumb.

If there was anything for PC's to do it largely involved internecine feuding between households and trying to profit from it. In hindsight it was like a low budget TV version of Necromunda.

Yes, I was curious.
:thumbsup:
Sure why don't you post it right to this thread? I think it's great to have practical examples in here, isn't it? Or the Resources section of the forum.
Here you go...::honkhonk:

Yes, and it is basically necessary. I mean, how else would I define that there's, say, a fox, other than by saying "the fox is named so and so by people who don't know what she is"? The GM would need to come up with those details if I didn't...and then what am I wasting your time for? To just have you read my fanfiction:grin:?

At the end of the day, it just fits my approach to GMing, which is "make a mindmap, superimpose it on the setting, and see where the PCs would crash in it, then follow the map for the setting's reaction"...:gooseshades:

Attachments

• City of Fragrant Pearls Wuxia Sandbox by AsenRG.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
1064) The Shadow StrikeForce Conspiracy

In the 60s, Aliens attempted to take over the world by infiltrating it and duplicating key people. Because the Aliens were only able to bring a limited amount of resources they had to succeed by guile and trickery. Their Conspiracy was stumbled over by a few people. Those people working independently were able to completely stymie the Alien Conquests in their area. Eventually, the people - looking into other suspicious events - met each other. Gathering resources and technologies that they recovered from the Aliens, they created several businesses. Those businesses in turn funded The Strikeforce. The Strikeforce has created an Astrofighter to take the war to the Aliens as they come to Earth. The Astrofighters and Astrocarriers (cargo astrofighters) are used to move Strikeforce agents around the world. The Aliens will no longer be able to infiltrate and destroy our world. The Strikeforce works out of several hidden underground bases.

Welcome to 1982. The Next Wave of Alien Invaders is coming. (Insert the year in the past of your choice)

Somewhere Invaders and UFO TV shows with a dash of X-Files

It's the height of the Cold War. Reagan's in office. The USSR and US constantly jockey and position for position and advantage. In the dark alleys, spies meet and kill each other. Both sides have a long list of atrocities and assassinations under their belts. The world over, dozens of dictators rule with iron fists, propped up by Cold War diplomacy by one side or the other...

But the conspiracy to fight the alien menace hides from all sides and operates in all sovereignties. The fate of humanity stands in the balance. The Shadow Strikeforce won't let a small thing like national borders stop them. They go where they must, and do what they must.

And that is why it was 1982. While the 60s was the heyday of Spy Media (TV and Movies and Books) and Cold war work, the 80s seriously had their moments. Plus the world situation made the Conspiracy a very common meme. And we have Thatcher's England, the German issues, Soviet military issues, and the resurgence of African Nationalism.

And the 80s makes for a great game soundtrack and the weirdness of all the "new technology" - new alien tech just sort of blends in with the noise.

Besides this is just an alternate world version of Shado, another 80s UFO fighting organization. Oh dang, now I need a submarine base. Maybe when the soviets begin to sell things off in a few years.

I promise the next 60 or so will be less derivative.

Last edited:
1042) New Ulbanima Age Fantasy DaiKaiju

There are words from the Elves (Quanya)

ulban noun. monster, giant

ulvon "*monster, giant" ✧ PE15/08

ulbanima "monstrous" ✧ QL/097

sairos noun. great age

Something has changed in the world. The Ulban were ended long ago by Elven Standards. A (temporary) alliance with the Maiar and The Dragons helped finish the remaining Ulban in the Time Before.

The Spirits of the Ulban have awakened and returned. They take forms again and stride the Lands. They tower, taller than hills (100M tall/ long). Some appear as "Beasts from before the Great Skyfire before the Last Great Ice" (A word unwieldy for Elves and near impossible for Human lips.). Some appear as amalgams of the lands (soil, stone, plants, lava, etc). Some are giant chimeras, mixes and mashes of normal beasts made giant. They all but ignore things smaller than themselves. Thus towns and cities might catch their eyes. (Wizards too). They are unstoppable as a storm, as armies and such are nothing to them.

Ulbans can have magic. They can throw fire or lightning or ice, depending on their kind. A few have mind blasts or sonic screams. Some seem even to regenerate quickly.

Ulvon are "smaller" Ulban. (Some think they are "young" or "newly made".) These are just large creatures. While immensely powerful, they are still challenged by small armies/ large bands of warriors. They tend to be more Chimeric, but can take any form.

Most Ulban (and Ulvon) are territorial. They find an area they can claim and do such. They might rampage for a bit, but eventually, they calm down. The dangerous ones are the "new ones" looking for new lands to make their territory. These creatures are much like Dragons, as they sleep/ rest most of the time. They eat little, gaining substance from the Land itself.

Humans have been building Great Walls around their Cities (and some towns). These walls are to stop Ulvon and deter Ulban. Some of the Human lands are building raised roads between Towns and Cities, to protect from Ulvan)

It is a New Sarios

----- --0-- -----​

We know that because there are "people" who have "The Mantle of The Land". They are tied to the region/ city/ lands, and draw power from it. These will allow them to launch bolts of power and do land effects that can defend a city/town/region from a Ulban (and Ulvon). The Greater ones of these Maji are the center of many City's/ Land's defenses. Lesser Maji roam their territory with lesser access and power or go questing for a territory of their own so they may become a Greater.

Note: The Maji are assisting in the Raising of Walls and Roads.

>>It is thought by some scholars that the reason Elven Cities are "tucked away" in natural areas that are hard to notice unless you are right there are because of the Ulban

>>It is thought by some scholars, Ulban are the reason why Dwaves (Hobbits, Gnomes, and such) are those that live under the surface (for the most part) is the memory of the Ulban. Others dismiss that as many Ulban burrow and make nests to sleep underground. (Though Rocky Mountains of the Dwarves could be a defense... the debate continues).

>>The Elves have pulled out from the Elder Vaults - Staves of Bammoc . These can give mortal beings an attack that will often drive off (or just annoy) an Ulban and possibly kill an Ulvon. Most Elven lands have a squad of stavemen. Some Human allies have been gifted staves (and the Human lands act as a buffer between roaming Ulban and their lands.)

>>There are Ulvon that are Human Sized. These Ulvon can transform between a "normal" form and a monstrous one (some will even become a bit larger). So far these Ulvon have not brought down a city (as they tend not to breed to make more of their own kind), but they have thinned the numbers in many cities.

>>Cities would be walled. People would be investigated.
>>Enchantment for spotting kaiju's through the city gate who disguised as humans would be implemented.
>>Anti-Kaiju or Daikaiju forces would be our magic users. Why they may not be able to stop a Daikaiju, they can distract or divert them.

If Daikaiju and Kaiju are emotionally drawn to negative emotions, then cities are going to be places where they're going to go. And nobody's going to figure out specifically why negative emotions draw them. Or do negative emotions cause them to energize?

>> Most of the paranormal races are going to be little Kaiju hiding as humans.

>> We're talking about rangers who follow the Kaiju around and report on them.
>>Magic mirrors for communication. Enchanted fire bolts maybe. Ooh crossbows with fire arrows need an idea.

So we have
monster hunters
magical monster fighters
Monster rangers, are those who escort and follow them around watching where they are.
Monster Cultus
Hidden Kaiju
Then mostly your normal magic folks or magic fantasy folks. Although I'm thinking a little more magic might be available to these people. Through someone enchanted items that allow you to cast spells even though you're not a magicker.

Daikaiju can spontaneously spawn. Or the change from a regular Kaiju to a die-cut you under certain circumstances: nodes, magical fluxes, negative emotions.

Last edited:
1035) GAF 04 VAL STONES Fantasy

This is a setting based upon magical crystals that are found throughout the lands. In some ways, they are solidified crystallized magic or just the flow of life in nature.

Val Stones tend to be huge you know 20 30 ft tall nearly indestructible crystals light blue and sheen although they may have slightly different colors bending on the background. They are giant pylons of crystals.

There are major ones and minor ones determining their radius of power. If you are on the radius one or the radius of several makes no difference. It simply allows you access to magic.

Here magic is not something you study and learn. It's a natural ability that you just channel. So anybody could be a mage just because they are.

Spell casting is fatiguing (energy points instead of metaphysical points). The greater the spell, the more fatigue it will expend. Also you may want to have a skill somewhere along the way on how to control the effect better. Without a bonus of some kind, you don't get some of the cool effects or at least they don't work real well.

----- --0-- -----

Lesser spells are ability bonuses and probabilities.

Notable spells are intangible. Their mind magics sensory information sensory obscurement sort of spells.

Greater spells are elemental forms.

Groups that like magic tend to be in areas within a val stone radius. Those who don't like magic aren't.

----- --0-- -----

There's a corruptive val stone somewhere. Possibly several of them. Maybe some val stones are starting to show shadows inside because the creeping evil was occurring.

Shards: these are small val stones that are not part of the giant ones. Shards give bonuses to cast. some enchanted ones give the ability to) cast specific spells. (or improves your chances

New pylons: some people have taken to making pylons valve stones artificially by making a reasonably tall structure that's towing thin and then in its core filling it with shards or smaller val stones. These have small minor radiuses but if you want to make your city magical in a non-magical area, that's the way you do it.

----- --0-- -----

Plotline: elves-elves are just a kind of people. They might have an ethnic group they might have some physical features which sort of define them but they're not a separate species. They have to live near a val stone for their immortality and their advantages. Elves are just a kind of people but with either a small genetic work or a focused skill they use.

These are worlds with something like the wanderers Way stones that they use for anchors.

The setting itself pretty basic; Kings, kingdoms, Lordships, with religion

Those who fear magic, stay out of Val Zones. Those who embrace it live in them.

Religions are a background thing. They are mostly a set of traditions and spirits to pay lip service to. Religion gets downplayed as there are no miracles and big spirits are just that.

There are Val Powered Animals out there with odd powers, but they are somewhat rare.

--- -0- ---

My default set up is: Border Area. The Tribals to the Ne are anti-magic. They hate magic and the kingdoms for various reasons. The Border Kingdoms are in a strong overlapping Val Zone. The only thing uniting the kingdoms is the tribes. They are always intriguing against each other.

A tribal leader's brother is powerfully magic cursed. He flees to the Border Kingdoms. Now he may defend the Kingdoms OR may help the Tribals attack the Kingdoms (maybe shifting their opinions about magic). They can continue to push sW and discover non-val zones.

If I tried running this, my players would ask me why I hate Albanians (whom I don't hate)...:grin:
There was a movie back in the 1980s where every time something went wrong, someone would say, "Damn Albanians". Or something like that, I think it was a comedy movie. It stuck in my head and off an on I'd found myself saying, "Damn Albanians" off and on over the years when the term came up. For the life of me I can't recall it. It was basically an on going joke in the movie over any mishap in the movie. Bah, bothers me that I can't recall it. Nor why blaming the Albanians was a thing honestly. I assumed the writer was aware of how much a mess historically the Balkans were in general historically and decided to make puns/riff on it.

Dayin of the Bright World (1015) **Fantasy world
Project Span Fantasy 02

"Twenty and many generations ago, our home sphere settled into the sunset of its existence. We, the last people, found a pathway to leave our home sphere travelling to this Bright Sphere devoid of people. Here our many people have made a new home. "

We are the Dayin. We are lithe humanoids with gossamer wings (much like a Dragonfly's). Most of us can fly a good distance, while some can't or others can while carrying big loads. While our skin is pale to fair, our multifaceted eyes and hair are gem colors of the rainbow. We all have antennae which allow us to sense the world around us, the ebb and flow of energy, the thoughts of others, the change of the lands and weather.

The Bright Sphere is a land with Grand things. They are all massive, easily twenty times the size of equivalent things we brought with us. In the Greatest of the Grand Trees (Fine Woods), some build homes along the outer rounds of the trunk. Though most of our cities and city walls are made of adobe and stone.

The future seems bright in our new world.

You have a fairly normal fantasy world, with a culture knowing only the world around them. Your characters could be explorers. Your characters could be defenders (fighting off huge animals). You could be Kings Guard or nobles and dealing with political and social issues. You could be scholars exploring the giants remains.

These are insect-ish people. They are effectively 1 to .5" tall. (though we could changes sizes and even make them barbie size 1:6) We could have wasp-ish or bee-ish and ant-ish (little humanoids) that are a bit eusocial. Spider folk in dark places out of the way. They are living in a world not their own, a world that looks looks like a natural zone - forest - on our world... scaled larger to them, with animals and such.

Options: Humans are here somewhere, Humans were here - but are gone (artifacts behind), humans are permanently gone, humans were never here.
Options: When they arrive, Humans are our size (72 times bigger 1:72), Humans are same size.
Options: Low magic or no magic? MAgic could be shaping mostly - a crafting tool.

There are lots of options using this foundation....

The default is Humans are gone and left rivers of dark stone (streets) and decaying houses. You have several Dayin cities, and other peoples in the area. A bear is roaming the area.

1025) Fey Queen Fantasy

Related to Dayin of the Bright World (1015)

The world as you know it is a 212 mile radius dome. It is easy enough to get through the dome, but you don't

You are a small fairy folk (1" tall) in a wonderous city of natures and magic. You have a number of people and cities. Your Queen is Queen Adaline.

We might have ant people and spider people hiding in the dark places.

Some of your people remember, the time before. When they were "Giants". There are a few artifacts of that time, as most things have been changed. Some use their knowledge of the time before to help. Some are there trying to "change it all back". (Some might assassinate the queen thinking she is behind it all.)

A few stayed giants. Most of them have left, but a few are still around.

Sometimes the giants intrude. Some of them are changed to Dayin. Some of their things change when they enter.

A little Girl named Adaline changed reality (somehow. A mutant? A wish? A soul promise?). She is now the princess Adaline II. The Queen is everything she ever wanted to be. She made the world this small fairy realm. So far, the radius has not expanded, but what will people do?

1026) Alternate Dayin World – 1026 Urban Fantasy+ Fantasy
Related to Dayin of the Bright World (1015)

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/354588170662677440/

It is a huge place. It is almost a small world. It is a world for the small fairy like folk of this place. Imagine being 1" tall (or .2" or .5 cm) Even if artifacts are down there, you might not recognize them because they are broken or the sheer scale of them. Some of you are plant augments. some are insect augmented. a few are fish augmented.

Thus big enough for huge tiny civilizations.

Above is the ruins of a grand city. Their world is under it. Some of it is caves. Some of it is sinkholes. Some of it is old catacombs. (Giant's remains)

So we have a fantasy world, with people more elven than just human. Some magics mutate - thus giving you spirits - insect people, plant people, water people, a few fire and stone people (isolated out in the catacombs).

(you can't fly out of the world... the winds are too strong, the dragon flies, and the full sunlight making it too hot. )

1033) I need a fancy name for this one, rather than Fantasy Project 04 - Meta Power Fantasy/ Pantheon

Many lands are under the control of a ruthless, conquering theocracy at the behest of the One God. The church and state are one. Dissent is purged by the very human followers of the theocracy and the Avatars of the One God, black-clad people with superhuman abilities. Populations are controlled. The cities are gas, steam, and clockwork powered edifices. The wilderness is considered the domain of the ungodly (monsters of a random sort).

It is all predicated on a lie.

Once, eons ago, there was a pantheon of gods. But the deity of deceit slew his brothers and sisters and cast down their sundered remains, taking much of their power into himself, their remains warping the wilderness areas around them in keeping with their divine portfolios. He became the One God. He set believers into establishing his theocratic empire. He hollowed out his most faithful followers, consuming their souls to create avatars of himself.

But where tyranny rises, there are always those who fight back. You are one of those rebels. And you are... different. Through a chance encounter, you came into contact with the dispersed remains of the pantheon. You gained a measure of power in so doing. A sliver of understanding of what really happened. And you can go toe-to-toe with the One God's avatars and those few empowered individuals like yourself who use their powers for ill. And each time you bring one, you gain more power yourself.

Basically, it's an excuse to have superpowered rebels fighting black-clad theocratic supers in an urban setting, where the wilderness is dangerous for a reason (and monsters exist for the same reason).

Last edited:
1016 Soa - World of The People **Sword and Sorcery in the jungle
Project Span Fantasy 03 (which means there are size changing shenanigans if an outsider visits this setting.) It is also a "lost world" which could be a land of adventure or a sideways step or a deep lost valley.

Soa is a stone age, early copper age (maybe bronze age) fantasy setting. This is very sword and sorcery, without much sorcery.

The general setting is jungle like. With plants good sized and some trees. We have giant cats and rats. We are writing frogs and geckos. Maybe there's flying mounts. But there's huge monsters and bigger animals and we called everything in that larger scale monsters. There are many large reptiles in The Soa. The land is a mix of valleys with rivers and streams. It is full of city-states. And between brick and Adobe is what they build with.

It is full of warlords and war bands. Various city-states (remnants of armies or from destroyed states> and tribal people have all made things unbalanced.

----- --0-- -----

SOA is land of the people or that's their mental translation. No I don't know if it is a side land where you have to travel across or a land of adventure where it's remote and you have to pass through many ways to get there.

Soa is a stone age early copper age maybe bronze age fantasy setting. This is very sword and sorcery, without much sorcery.
>>The land is a mix of valleys with rivers and streams.
>>It is full of city-states. And between brick and Adobe is what they build with.
>>It is full of warlords and war bands. Various city-states (remnants of armies or from destroyed states> and tribal people have all made things unbalanced.
>>We may have wizards of sorts wise men who are part cons part astronomy and they might have mind powers. They tend to live alone probably to keep down the telepathic noise.
>>The general setting is jungle like. With plants good sized and some trees.
>>>We have giant cats and rats. We are riding frogs and geckos. Maybe there's flying mounts. But there's huge monsters and bigger animals and we called everything in that larger scale monsters.

>>The basics are reddish skin red to brownish red not copper humans. Eyes are brown heading into the red.
>>>>We could have insect people's and aliens. But that gives the way that we are shrinking people or that they're shrunk.
>>The river folks are kind of amphibious very wet.
>>Do we have priests? Do they like mine power people? Probably not.
>>That's a game master you will need to make a Web of cities. Military strong relationships too we're going to have to make an example for people.
>>There is a mythic city built inside the shade of a silver cocoon. (It's an airplane-like thing. And that's probably where the Giants first Giants were from.)
>>We can have spiders that operate like ants. Big orange and brown. So pack hunting to a point and you'll get lost in their webs.
>>We could have time portals or just lots of lizards that don't really look like dinosaurs.

---0---​

This is a span fantasy.
The order of things is visitors locals and giants followed by a comment
>>Small/small/large visitor shrink
>>Large / small / extra large - visitors are Gulliver's in a tiny world and then Giants are Kaiju
>>Large/large/huge - what are the Giants escape?
>>Small/large/huge - and this is why we have giant animals what happens if these things get loose. And why did we shrink or is everything here just this large.
>>Maybe we have a mist (myst) a sparkly field that shrinks people or it's like a space nebula and it's our trans d way.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back