How did you end up here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's a welcome thread and a filter.

Eh it got a little lost there at the end. I only have so much energy to put into random geese hatred.
We have Goose nearly every year (and when we don't we have duck). As evil as there are they are quite tasty with plum sauce. Taste a lot better than Turkey in my view.

Here in Blighty, a goose is more of a traditional Christmas roast than a turkey, although I've yet to actually try one. Apparently (being waterfowl) they're quite fatty like duck.

It is very fatty, like duck, but has more flavour and is bigger. My wife is from Russia, so we tend to have goose every Christmas, as we find turkey really dry. it does for Christmas dinner, a few days of leftovers and a lovely goose soup that also lasts for days. We usually have duck for New Year as well.

There is a Food and Drink thread that has loads of things about Food and Drink.

In fairness, at times it's kinda hard to tell that this is an RPG forum.

Is it? Blimey, I'll have to watch out for nerds, then.

It is very fatty, like duck, but has more flavour and is bigger. My wife is from Russia, so we tend to have goose every Christmas, as we find turkey really dry. it does for Christmas dinner, a few days of leftovers and a lovely goose soup that also lasts for days. We usually have duck for New Year as well.
American Thanksgiving is very nice but turkey is not. I have too many memories of desperately searching for a glass of any kind of fluid to help me wash down a chunk of positively arid turkey breast. My wife and I make a point of roasting a duck instead. The only risk with duck is that the meat is too moist. Can you imagine that?

My mother was apparently a horrible cook. She overcooked everything. Now I disagree because that's what Mom made and I liked it but everyone else seems to agree. So dry turkey is right up my alley.

To give you an idea of how prone to overcooking things mom is I'll retell this little story.
We had a foreign exchange student from Denmark come stay with us.
After two weeks my dad yells down to the downstairs where her room was, "Dinners ready!". The reply was "Can't be".
Again my father yells down "Dinners ready!". Again the reply is "Can't be".
Third try "Dinners ready" third reply "Can't be"
Dad "What? Why?"
Student "Fire alarm hasn't gone away off yet"
Laughter from all.

My mother was apparently a horrible cook.
I can do one better. I came of age, like many of you, when microwaves were first introduced as a common consumer product. My parents never looked back. Here's a typical dinner from my latchkey youth:
  • Burger patty, microwaved to a semblance of edibility, on wheat bread with mayo (did you catch all of that?)
  • Frozen broccoli that has been nuked till steaming
  • Mangia!
I didn't know that steak could be amazing until college.

I can do one better. I came of age, like many of you, when microwaves were first introduced as a common consumer product. My parents never looked back. Here's a typical dinner from my latchkey youth:
  • Burger patty, microwaved to a semblance of edibility, on wheat bread with mayo (did you catch all of that?)
  • Frozen broccoli that has been nuked till steaming
  • Mangia!
I didn't know that steak could be amazing until college.
The microwave is an underrated appliance. It's second only to the toaster oven in my important advances in civilization.

The microwave is an underrated appliance. It's second only to the toaster oven in my important advances in civilization.
Hey, I'm a huge fan of toaster ovens. Let no sandwich go untoasted! But microwaves? I usually won't even cook the dogs food in the microwave (disclaimer: she eats better than some humans). They have their place but it's very limited in my kitchen - mostly defrosting.

Hey, I'm a huge fan of toaster ovens. Let no sandwich go untoasted! But microwaves? I usually won't even cook the dogs food in the microwave (disclaimer: she eats better than some humans). They have their place but it's very limited in my kitchen - mostly defrosting.
Popcorn. Leftovers. Coffee. Staples to life

Cover the turkey in bacon, roast it upside down, and let it sit in the basting liquid as it cooks.

it’ll stay moist.

Microwave..."popcorn"? The scourge of the office world? I SAID "GOOD DAY," SIR!
Eh I spend most of my time at 'the office' in my PJs and usually I'm the only one who knows how to reach and operate the microwave.

I made my way here after googling around for some actual play of Stay Frosty! which is a relatively nice lil' indie product. Séadna Séadna had ran a game through to completion (which I voraciously read through one afternoon) and felt the need to create an account just to thank him and the players for the read!

I'd dabbled in PBP stuff before over the years, but most groups died off over time. It's good to see on-going games here! I have come to realise that PBP really benefits from rules-lite systems where the GM can push things along in the background with rolls.

I made my way here after googling around for some actual play of Stay Frosty! which is a relatively nice lil' indie product. Séadna Séadna had ran a game through to completion (which I voraciously read through one afternoon) and felt the need to create an account just to thank him and the players for the read!

I'd dabbled in PBP stuff before over the years, but most groups died off over time. It's good to see on-going games here! I have come to realise that PBP really benefits from rules-lite systems where the GM can push things along in the background with rolls.
Sounds like Séadna Séadna needs to prep for the sequel:
mv5bmja0mte0mdg3mv5bml5banbnxkftztcwmzk4mzqyoq__v1__sx600_sy523_.jpg

American Thanksgiving is very nice but turkey is not. I have too many memories of desperately searching for a glass of any kind of fluid to help me wash down a chunk of positively arid turkey breast. My wife and I make a point of roasting a duck instead.

It seems that many people suck at cooking turkey because they hardly ever do it. So, to be extra safe, they way overcook it.
Brining works great but takes time and effort. Rubbing a fat or something on the outside helps, as does putting liquid in the bottom. I find it's very important to NOT baste. Opening the oven releases the built up steam and makes the air drier; also cooler, which increases cooking time.

But, even if you do it right, turkey is goodish at best. The white meat is kinda bland. My wife and kids don't care for turkey in any form. I've started doing a beef roast for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas. Christmas is busy and ham takes no effort. If I could get everyone to east goose or duck, I'd make it.

It seems that many people suck at cooking turkey because they hardly ever do it. So, to be extra safe, they way overcook it.
Brining works great but takes time and effort. Rubbing a fat or something on the outside helps, as does putting liquid in the bottom. I find it's very important to NOT baste. Opening the oven releases the built up steam and makes the air drier; also cooler, which increases cooking time.

But, even if you do it right, turkey is goodish at best. The white meat is kinda bland. My wife and kids don't care for turkey in any form. I've started doing a beef roast for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas. Christmas is busy and ham takes no effort. If I could get everyone to east goose or duck, I'd make it.
We do ham and salmon.

So since we seem to have an abundance of foodies here. Turkey is dry. But is Turducken? Does the chicken and duck help with this? Or is it dry meat surrounding excellence?

Oh man, I've still yet to give that a "serious" look. I have a fairly low tolerance for puns.

The best turkey I've had came from the often maligned Arby's*. Their deep fried turkey sandwiches, incredibly tasty and juicy. Otherwise, I guess I've been lucky. Generally, my experience with turkey has been positive. Its one of my favorites so maybe I'm generous.

*Full disclosure: I like Arby's.

Arby's is awesome. For about five years I kept telling my best friend he liked Arby's and he kept telling no he didn't. He just refused to go in and try. Finally I dragged him in one time. His response. "This is awesome why haven't we been going here more often!". I hit him. Gently.

The best turkey I've had came from the often maligned Arby's*. Their deep fried turkey sandwiches, incredibly tasty and juicy. Otherwise, I guess I've been lucky. Generally, my experience with turkey has been positive. Its one of my favorites so maybe I'm generous.

The future is a bleak hellscape where the only escape is our inevitable death. Enjoy Arby’s.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back