How did you end up here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
To answer the OP, I was mostly just disappointed with RPG forums in general and got several hearty recommendations for the Pub. I was pleased to find many people posting here that I already knew from other places. The lack of politics is refreshing and there seems to be a generally warm, friendly atmosphere here.

RPG.net in particular made me run for the hills screaming; therpgsite.com has its issues, but I find them much easier to stomach than TBP's and I find some of the conversation there valuable and interesting, so I still post there fairly frequently. The only other RPG forum I read regularly are the SJgames forums, mostly to talk about and ruminate on GURPS-specific topics (my go-to game).

And yes. Arby's meat may not be strictly terrestrial in origin.

To answer the OP, I was mostly just disappointed with RPG forums in general and got several hearty recommendations for the Pub. I was pleased to find many people posting here that I already knew from other places. The lack of politics is refreshing and there seems to be a generally warm, friendly atmosphere here.

RPG.net in particular made me run for the hills screaming; therpgsite.com has its issues, but I find them much easier to stomach than TBP's and I find some of the conversation there valuable and interesting, so I still post there fairly frequently. The only other RPG forum I read regularly are the SJgames forums, mostly to talk about and ruminate on GURPS-specific topics (my go-to game).

Seconded.

The Rpgsite is not perfect yet if given a choice even if told I would get 1 million dollars to start posting on rpg.net. I would choose here or the rpgsite each and every time. Unlike the other two forums what constitutes an infraction or something that can get one banned. Seems to change micro-second from micro-second mod to mod. With it being nothing more than the whims of a mod over at rpg.net. They gave a person a short ban for a bad pun. A freaking pun so yes I am glad that we have this place, the rpgsite and others where the moderation is not perfect yet at the same time the mods adhere to a standard of professionalism and usual succeed at being unbiased.

And yes. Arby's meat may not be strictly terrestrial in origin.

(Best Charton Heston voice )

Arby is made with people :smile:

I would post on rpgnet for a million dollars, if anyone's offering...

Eh, I don't hate rpg.net, but apparently they're no fan of me. I keep getting Modhammered for...posting as dozens of poster do daily and I recently was infracted (and threatened with a perma ban) for posting a non substantive link...for a thread with no link in it, just a reference to article and the entire article quoted for context.

Eh, I don't hate rpg.net, but apparently they're no fan of me. I keep getting Modhammered for...posting as dozens of poster do daily and I recently was infracted (and threatened with a perma ban) for posting a non substantive link...for a thread with no link in it, just a reference to article and the entire article quoted for context.
As long as you know all the rules, the letter and spirit and mood of the mod most likely to read it and of course who it could possibly annoy enough to report, your post you should be fine.

As long as you know all the rules, the letter and spirit and mood of the mod most likely to read it and of course who it could possibly annoy enough to report, your post you should be fine.

I asked them a question about the post that was modded, another moderated referred to a completely different, weeks old post I was already punished for...then closed the thread so I couldn't say how I was referring to some that happened just today.

I guess this pretty much says it: They're looking for some excuse to permaban me. And they'll find one.

Last edited:
I asked them a question about the post that was modded, another moderated referred to a completely different, weeks old post I was already punished for...then closed the thread so I couldn't say how I was referring to some that happened just today.

Wait you weren't expecting some snippy capricious response?

To be fair I wouldn't want the stress of modding there but it's a mess of their own making. It seems like a fair number of the mods are lawyers in real life so it's not totally shocking they created a heavy rulesystem.

Things got a little better after their last self imposed no politics month a while back. Mod mood swings swung decidedly back to patience.

To answer your specific question you must add some personal commentary of substance if you either link to something or quote something.

Wait you weren't expecting some snippy capricious response?

To be fair I wouldn't want the stress of modding there but it's a mess of their own making. It seems like a fair number of the mods are lawyers in real life so it's not totally shocking they created a heavy rulesystem.

Things got a little better after their last self imposed no politics month a while back. Mod mood swings swung decidedly back to patience.

To answer your specific question you must add some personal commentary of substance if you either link to something or quote something.
I confess, I wasn't expecting that call. In my original infractions, I was using a posting format I'd seen (and still see) countless times and I did include some comments and opinion on the link in some (and again I've see naked links many time before with nothing made o f it*). But I had been trying to not post link at all and now I've been informed that posting copied text for context is also bad. It was like being stopped for speeding when you weren't driven then this: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/a-question-on-a-recent-infraction.854595/#post-22915569

"Well you were walking fast and look like a speeder anyway. Don't make me throw you in jail for causing a public disturbance."

was kind of salt in the wound. I really feels at this point as if they're looking for an excuse to permaban me. I guess if they're they'll find one and there's nothing I can do about that. At least I have the cold comfort of knowing some others are puzzled too so its no just me being an entitled jerk...

I wouldn't let it bother you too much, Nexus. I'm sure it's like navigating a mine field sometimes with the rules. That's one of the reasons why the Pub will never have a long list of rules. Easier for members to remember and easier for mods to moderate.

Nexus my advice just walk away.

Rpg.net is not worth it I was banned on the filmiest of pretenses. The mods are power hungry and just not a fun place to go too.

RPGnet has it's own specific culture, and if you gel with it, I'm sure it's fine, and if you don't ....well, the internet is a HUGE place. The trouble is when it becomes an addiction, even once you know you don't belong (speaking from experience here). It can easily turn into a toxic relationship, with a poster wanting it to be something (however you define that - "fair", "inclusive", honest" etc) that it's not. It's a private community with a very specific GOAL in culling it's populace to be exactly the sort of poster that they want. Wasting your time trying to shove a circle block into a square hole will only lead to endless resentment and frustration. And just like any toxic relationship, the healthiest thing to do is

And, just in general, don't be a drama llama.

giphy.gif

You'd think so, but the smell of microwaved fake butter lingers for hours, and god forbid someone burns the stuff - time to look for a new job.
I had a roommate who was a vegetarian, meaning he lived exclusively on sunflower seeds, peanut butter (occasionally paired with bread), and most of all microwave popcorn. Well, mostly he lived on beer, but that's another story.

By the time I moved out, it was impossible to get that stale butter smell out of my microwave. It still haunts me.

I had a roommate who was a vegetarian, meaning he lived exclusively on sunflower seeds, peanut butter (occasionally paired with bread), and most of all microwave popcorn. Well, mostly he lived on beer, but that's another story.

By the time I moved out, it was impossible to get that stale butter smell out of my microwave. It still haunts me.
I have virtually no sense of smell. People give me a hard time about it and say ooh that's why you like boring food. Most of the time I love it. People with BO dont bug me. I change dirty diapers like a champ! I worked at a chicken farm for a while and wholly shit the ammonia levels in there make most people have or cry but it didn't bother me much.

Microwave a bowl of lemon water for like five minutes. It’ll get anything out. Makes it easy to clean too.

Microwave a bowl of lemon water for like five minutes. It’ll get anything out. Makes it easy to clean too.
White vinegar does the same thing. And is useful for a host of other cleaning tasks.

The rpgpub.com: Come for the gaming discussion; stay for the household tips! :grin:
Well if you insist.

Hot cleaning grade vinegar mixed with original blue Dawn is basically magic for cleaning bathtubs... unless you let it get as far gone as mine is... stupid mildew...

Putting a lemon in the garbage disposal works to get rid of bad odors while cleaning if.
I serve fish at least once a week with lemon on the side to squeeze over it. The used lemon wedges fill the whole kitchen with a clean aroma as they go down the disposal.

Speaking of yellow cleaning solution, peeing in the shower messes with the pH balance of some potential growths living there.

Not that any of us, myself included, would resort to such measures. Merely a hypothetical... :thought:

Last edited:
I serve fish at least once a week with lemon on the side to squeeze over it. The used lemon wedges fill the whole kitchen with a clean aroma as they go down the disposal.
Yeah fish is popular in my house too. We usually have either grilled trout or salmon once a week. I like fried catfish too but my doctor says no.

Or try a limonene based cleaner (the ones that stink of oranges). Brutally effective, although they don't half stink.

RPGnet has it's own specific culture, and if you gel with it, I'm sure it's fine, and if you don't ....well, the internet is a HUGE place. The trouble is when it becomes an addiction, even once you know you don't belong (speaking from experience here). It can easily turn into a toxic relationship, with a poster wanting it to be something (however you define that - "fair", "inclusive", honest" etc) that it's not. It's a private community with a very specific GOAL in culling it's populace to be exactly the sort of poster that they want. Wasting your time trying to shove a circle block into a square hole will only lead to endless resentment and frustration. And just like any toxic relationship, the healthiest thing to do is
[ . . . ]
I have a similar relationship with COTI and used to be a Traveller fanboy at one point. Every now and then I go and browse it but it's just the same old same old. I'm comfortably old enough to qualify as a grognard (and grew up on a diet of JW Campbell era sci-fi) but I really can't relate to the folks there; it really is such an echo chamber.

My eternal quest is to find a forum that lends itself to discussing game and setting design cogently, but I suspect that most actual designers are busy designing games and not shitposting on forums.

I have a similar relationship with COTI and used to be a Traveller fanboy at one point. Every now and then I go and browse it but it's just the same old same old. I'm comfortably old enough to qualify as a grognard (and grew up on a diet of JW Campbell era sci-fi) but I really can't relate to the folks there; it really is such an echo chamber.

My eternal quest is to find a forum that lends itself to discussing game and setting design cogently, but I suspect that most actual designers are busy designing games and not shitposting on forums.

I find that discussing game design actually warps the process. I have ideas in my head that are somewhat amorphous. They are essentially in a state of flux, even as I playtest them, but the very act of writing them down, explaining them to an audience, be it on a forum or elsewhere, seems to halt the entire process. Things get codified and crystallized that really should not be during the design stage, and in the end it prevents them growing organically. So that's why I generally don't do much design discussion on here.

Every place ends up an echo chamber. We probably are at this point. We have a culture. We seem to value non hostile discussion. It's generally frowned on to insult other groups in a serious tone but totally ok to tease people in what we consider a good natured tone.

Some folks are going to say the teasing is not ok. Some folks are going to dislike you can't seriously call people assholes and whatnot. They're going to leave and the remainder will be more and more comfortable with what they can do here. Plus it's still small. Maybe two dozen people I'm guessing are dominant in conversations here. Like a pub with regulars we know our personalities. But we're on the internet so random folks coming here won't always know what is serious insults and what's a joke between friends.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back