How did you end up here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I mentioned this over in the welcome thread, but I haven't been an RPG forum regular in about a decade.

Have been slowly getting back engaged in the broader indie TTRPG community over the past few months and was wildly turned off by the invective, demagoguery, and histrionics I was seeing from either end of the spectrum on "TBP" and theRPGsite. Not my scene, honestly.

Was pointed to the Pub over on Twitter by Picaroon Jack.

Enjoying the vibe so far!

I mentioned this over in the welcome thread, but I haven't been an RPG forum regular in about a decade.

Have been slowly getting back engaged in the broader indie TTRPG community over the past few months and was wildly turned off by the invective, demagoguery, and histrionics I was seeing from either end of the spectrum on "TBP" and theRPGsite. Not my scene, honestly.

Was pointed to the Pub over on Twitter by Picaroon Jack.

Enjoying the vibe so far!

Quite a few people share that sentiment - as I understand The Pub largely exists as its founders were tired of the bullshit on certain other forums.

I came the other way around - I saw The Pub first before I visited either of those .. others. When I did I was not impressed.

Last edited:
We have posters who enjoy low temperature vomit related activities. This post is a group attack on those users! Consider this a...a...hang on a minute! Some of our posters also enjoy shitting! Shitpost is offensive to...to...seriously Nobby, you are the worst!!

We have posters who enjoy low temperature vomit related activities. This post is a group attack on those users! Consider this a...a...hang on a minute! Some of our posters also enjoy shitting! Shitpost is offensive to...to...seriously Nobby, you are the worst!!

The original Shit Justice Warrior,™ I see .. Look who didn't get his latte this morning!

Quite a few people share that sentiment - as I understand The Pub largely exists as its founders were tired of the bullshit on certain other forums.

I came the other way around - I saw The Pub first before I visited either of those .. others. When I did I was not impressed.
I'd say that's a fortuitous order of events, then.

I've probably already posted upthread, but:

Used to be semi-active on one of the Big Two, until its wonkiness drove me away. Never joined the other, because based on my lurking, it had similar issues.

Missed talking about RPGs.

Found rpggeek, which has a pleasant enough environment, but isn't very active.

Missed talking about RPGs.

Time passed.

Thought, "eh, I'm pretty sure I'm already familiar with the major RPG forums, but it can't hurt to look for a different one, just in case."

Searched "tabletop RPG forums" or some similar phrase.

Found the Pub!

Much happiness.

I typed "Rpg Forum" into Google and the first result was TBP which had way too many rules for a hobby forum. The second was the site, which I did make an account on but felt a little too wild west for my taste.
The third was the Pub, which had it's one rule and I've never left.

I was one of the first to join here. Not been as active as I should, mainly because I've been either focusing on school or actually playing RPG's with my IRL friends and significant other as well.
You've been here even longer than me. Being too busy actually playing games is the best possible reason to not be posting much on RPG forum. Congrats on having an SO that games as well.

I was one of the first to join here. Not been as active as I should, mainly because I've been either focusing on school or actually playing RPG's with my IRL friends and significant other as well.
These are both reasons why you're quite right to not be as active.

(Also if this is Hell, it's a much nicer neighborhood than I expected.)
This ought to be the Vestibule of Hell, full of mists and hornets for those who refused to choose between Good and Evil. But looking around I have to say that on most days it seems more like the First Circle: Limbo, where the guiltless damned are "tortured" with each other's company. This is what we get for lacking faith in something greater than rational minds can conceive.

Actually to be honest, it was an accident I was Googling for something game related (don't recall what now) and stumbled upon the site. Since I was disappointed and disillusioned by those other sites for the usual reasons, and posts here amused me, I moved in.
We really need to get that lock fixed...

I heard about this from ENWorld. Recognize a lot of names from the TBP site, but I haven't posted there in 10 years. Was on TheRPGSite for a bit, but clearly not a place for me and hadn't been on there for years either.

I heard about this from ENWorld. Recognize a lot of names from the TBP site, but I haven't posted there in 10 years. Was on TheRPGSite for a bit, but clearly not a place for me and hadn't been on there for years either.
I remember you from theRPGSite. Welcome to the Pub.

Another refugee from the Purple. I got tired of the weird obsession the mods there have of teasing and mocking the people they punish. I'd spent about a year and a half there and had to drop two PbP games I was in and quite enjoying, and there's a lot of really cool people over there that I'll miss, so it's not something I did on a whim. But I didn't really feel like endorsing Purple's culture of spiteful punching down even implicitly by continuing to participate.

Another refugee from the Purple. I got tired of the weird obsession the mods there have of teasing and mocking the people they punish. I'd spent about a year and a half there and had to drop two PbP games I was in and quite enjoying, and there's a lot of really cool people over there that I'll miss, so it's not something I did on a whim. But I didn't really feel like endorsing Purple's culture of spiteful punching down even implicitly by continuing to participate.
I'm playing in one PbP game there, but at this point I really feel like I'm sneaking in and out of the site under cover of darkness. :grin:

It truly was one of the more bizarre things I'd witnessed. I've got an account there and have had one for some years but I don't post much and only use it occasionally to read a review of some rgp or another. Doing that would lead me to seeing what felt like odd blips and comments in the posts and I started reading the moderation section that listed bans etc, ended up doing a deep wiki walk sort of dip into all things moderation at the Purple and it was eye opening. A bunch of nasty, hypocritical, passive aggressive, mocking, shitty posts by many of the mods. I knew that I'd never be able to feel any sense of community or loyalty towards that website and is why I don't invest anything into it. Whereas here I am invested. Oh BTW... welcome! :dice:

Last edited:
What really bothers me is the way they will misinterpret you, crap on you, and then ban you if you respond. Pure cowardice and bullying.

Yeh, they twist peoples' words pretty vigorously to wring the most uncharitable possible interpretation out, then sneer at the unfortunate target as though that nasty interpretation is the only one they could possibly have meant. Anyway, I am not here just to crap on the Pruple so I think that'll be my last word about that.

I don't always agree with the big purple but it's their place and they can do as they like. The part that has truly started me wondering if I want to be banned there is their treatment of the Neuro diverse. I've seen multiple times where they have banned/and punch down folks who come back to them and say "Hey I'm not able to comprehend anything about why I got X. I want to play by your rules but I need some help understanding because I have issues." The response from the mods who constantly demand others "Do the Work" is it's too much work for them to be kind.

I don't always agree with the big purple but it's their place and they can do as they like. The part that has truly started me wondering if I want to be banned there is their treatment of the Neuro diverse. I've seen multiple times where they have banned/and punch down folks who come back to them and say "Hey I'm not able to comprehend anything about why I got X. I want to play by your rules but I need some help understanding because I have issues." The response from the mods who constantly demand others "Do the Work" is it's too much work for them to be kind.
Oh, that's choice because I think they've also come down on folks for dissing the neurodiverse... And just their general "no discussion about moderation" leaves a bad taste.

I forget why Christopher Kubasik copped a temporary ban (he IS back) but he at least at one time was writing a TV documentary on the Tulsa race riot... How you can ban someone who's probably on your side, I dunno...

I participate in the occasional thread there, but I'm very choosy and when they start banning folks in a thread, I usually bail out.

I'd love to discuss colonial and racial themes, but no way I'm going there THERE...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back