How did you end up here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Unlike a lot of you folks, I am broadly in agreement with the politics of TBP.
We don’t allow politics but one of the humorous things I’ve noted over the years are some people calling us both a right and a left forum at the exact same time during certain events in the Pub’s history.

We don’t allow politics but one of the humorous things I’ve noted over the years are some people calling us both a right and a left forum at the exact same time during certain events in the Pub’s history.
Bloody centrists!

What games do you play, Afterburner Afterburner ?
Don't play TTRPGs these days. I am a long-haul trucker. My ability to meet with others regularly for gaming (or anything else, really) is non-existent.

But I grew up playing them. I'm a "cultural gamer". People start talking about character creation and dice-rolling and target numbers or what-have-you, and those are my people. And I still like reading sourcebooks.

The cornerstones of my RPG identity are D&D, Call of Cthulhu, and Paranoia. Those are the three games I played most avidly in my misspent youth. I'm a huge Planescape fanboy and almost as big of a Spelljammer fanboy. I ran the official Deadlands mailing list for a while during DL's peak of popularity in the late '90s/early '00s, and ran a regular game of it during that time. I tried running a game of Skyrealms of Jorune once. Once. I played in a Nobilis campaign (the original Big White Book) for a while. Played Shadowrun (the old FASA "pink mohawk" version) and FASERIP Marvel Super Heroes a couple times, but never as much as I wanted. Participated in a long-running, well-regarded Twilight: 2000 play-by-post over at TBP. Also participated in a long-running Blue Rose campaign and a short-lived Delta Green campaign there as well.

Own a lot of RPG books for games I've never played, including Exalted 1e and 2e, Bloodshadows (I own literally every book made for this), The Price of Freedom, Kult 2e (own every book made for this as well), the old Chill boxed set, the old Sandman boxed set (and you are truly an old fart and/or a grognard if you're familiar with that one), Elric!, Champions (which, frankly, I was never able to wrap my head around, neither 2e nor 5e), SLA Industries (I caused huge drama 20 years ago at TBP about this game), and probably five or six more I'm forgetting.

You can take the boy out of the gaming, but you'll never take the gaming out of the boy.

Last edited:
Welcome, Y yosemitemike ! What games do you play?

Currently, I am running D&D 5e and Call of Cthulhu and playing in a Genesys/Mechasys game that starts in around half an hour. In the past, I have played a bunch of different games. I forget all of them. I'm not sure I can even remember all of the various flavors of WoD/CoD I have played. I'm one of those guys who winds up running the game almost all of the time because, otherwise, it doesn't happen. I am also that guy who is always working on some game that no one actually wants to play. I am currently brainstorming a Pretty Cure game. I am slo one of those guys who owns a crapton of games I have never gotten to run. The last time I inventoried them all it was 6 pages worth not counting the pdfs. One of these days I will run that Tribe 8 campaign. Probably not though.
tries
SLA Industries

I have wanted to run that one for ages.

Last edited:
Or that we're a bunch of wussies because we don't want to argue extremist politics all the time on a forum dedicated to pretending to be hobbits and space aliens.
Don't forget Furries! I like to pretend to be a mutant weasel with armadillo playing and clown fish coloration.

Or that we're a bunch of wussies because we don't want to argue extremist politics all the time on a forum dedicated to pretending to be hobbits and space aliens.
Call it emotional fatigue, I volunteered and had to call thousands of Hoosiers to ask them to vote for Obama, talk about soul destroying.

Danced a little too close to the line at TBP a few weeks ago. Nothing happened, but it made my antennae twitch enough to want to implement a Plan B.

Unlike a lot of you folks, I am broadly in agreement with the politics of TBP. My big issue these days is that I don't feel like it's possible to criticize the moderation or the moderators without a significant amount of forelock-tugging. They've reached the point where anybody who criticizes them for any reason must by definition be a member of the alt-right, because who else could possibly have a problem with what they're doing and how they're going about it?

Still not sure if I'm gonna stick around. Y'all really like your megathreads around here, and I'm not much of a megathread guy. But my interactions so far have been pleasant, and I do like that I can (in theory, haven't done it yet) talk about my enjoyment of monoculture races in my high fantasy games -- Drow elves in particular -- without being branded a cryptoracist.
bb5d6bc192d639cb115e29dc12ca829b-185421148.png

I'm in the same boat, dude. The same small boat. Welcome to the Pub!

Unlime a lot of you folks, I am broadly in agreement with the politics of TBP. My big issue these days is that I don't feel like it's possible to criticize the moderation or the moderators without a significant amount of forelock-tugging. They've reached the point where anybody who criticizes them for any reason must by definition be a member of the alt-right, because who else could possibly have a problem with what they're doing and how they're going about it?

Did I sign up a second account in my sleep? Because that was 100% my experience too.

Mustn’t forget the appeal process that I’m not convinced actually exists. They certainly never acknowledged either of mine one way or another.

The appeals process is that you appeal and they ignore it. Reversing their decision would require admitting that they might have made the wrong call the first time which they will not do.

This looks like a good place to talk about games once in a while. I'm very glad to see it's still going.

Hope it's okay if I'm here.
I don't see why not? Kinda confused, you've been here like six years? Ya get lost on the way to the latrine? (Having done that I had to ask). Welcome back regardless. :smile:

I used to mod on rpg.net. I haven't logged in there in over two years, and I didn't come here to talk about it. But if there are still hard feelings, or if my being here bugs anyone, no problem, I'll go elsewhere.

I used to mod on rpg.net. I haven't logged in there in over two years, and I didn't come here to talk about it. But if there are still hard feelings, or if my being here bugs anyone, no problem, I'll go elsewhere.
I for one sure hope you don't leave. I used to enjoy your posts on rpg.net and look forward to reading more of them here. I still log in to post there from time to time.

I used to mod on rpg.net. I haven't logged in there in over two years, and I didn't come here to talk about it. But if there are still hard feelings, or if my being here bugs anyone, no problem, I'll go elsewhere
Cessna, we welcome you here with open arms. That’s the honest to God truth. I hope you didn’t feel like you couldn’t post here the last few years because you were helping run the forum over there for a long time.

If people here have a problem with RPGnet, I say make sure it’s having a problem with the forum’s policy and not individual members. It’s really up to the owner how a forum is run and it trickles down. Shit happens, especially as more and more time goes by.

I hope you stay and keep posting. I doubt anyone gives you any problems here and if it did, we come down hard on that. The Pub was meant to kind of give everyone a fresh start if they wanted it. Be fresh!

You're welcome here, Cessna Cessna . What games do you play?

I'm mostly a tabletop wargamer (Historicals) these days. I do play in a couple of zoom-based rpgs with friends, but, well, they drift and it's mostly an excuse to stay in touch with people I wouldn't see otherwise due to geography.

I am hoping to start / start playing in person again in the very near future. A friend of mine is starting / running a retro Greyhawk campaign that I can't wait to get going, and I'd like to start a Twilight:2000 game at some point. I've got some really good players lined up, but getting everyone's schedules to mesh is difficult.

Edit: Oh, also, I just picked up Modiphius' Dune. I don't love the system, but the books (for the rpg) are good and I have loved the system since I was a kid. I don't know what I'll do with it - maybe make some mods or use a different system - but it's at the top of "games to play if I get time." I've posted a bit about that in the Roleplaying Games forum here.

Last edited:
I'm mostly a tabletop wargamer (Historicals) these days. I do play in a couple of zoom-based rpgs with friends, but, well, they drift and it's mostly an excuse to stay in touch with people I wouldn't see otherwise due to geography.
Ooo, it's always great to have another one of us here. What period/systems do you play? (I've been getting heavily into various Osprey stuff recently).

I knew I liked this place for a reason.
Yeah, I don't think anyone cares what you did elsewhere. Most of us find the other site useful in some way off an on. I like to read reviews of game material, usually to give me insight on mechanics usually. Don't ever care to post there but I'd never hold it against someone who was a mod there who came here to read and post. Here at the pub we occasionally groose about other places but mostly we just enjoy talking about games, being off topic and worrying about the upcoming Goose Apocalypse!

Edit: I'm a lapsed war gamer from the late 70s and into the 80s. One of these days I'll fall back into that pool I'm sure, since I keep eyeballing it hard.

Edit: I'm a lapsed war gamer from the late 70s and into the 80s. One of these days I'll fall back into that pool I'm sure, since I keep eyeballing it hard.

What're you looking at? There are some great games out there.

Unless you've been rude about FASERIP on another board. Tristram keeps a file.

No way! I played in a Marvel Superheroes game back in the day, I loved that system. Hell, I should track down a copy.

This seems a good opportunity to plug the informal Pub Boardgames group. We've been a bit lazy about getting games together recently but I'm happy to host wargames for anyone who's interested. We generally play on TTS.

Probably board wargames.

I'm happy to do minis games if the interest is there, but it will need someone who knows how to do that technically on TTS. I have no idea and Brock Savage Brock Savage's tech knowledge stops in the era of Livejournal and Geocities.

Ooo, it's always great to have another one of us here. What period/systems do you play? (I've been getting heavily into various Osprey stuff recently).

Geez, I don't even know where to begin. I've got WAY too much stuff and way too many projects.

The most recent game I played was Eagles of Empire, it's skirmish gaming in the Franco-Prussian War in 28mm scale. The weekend before that I did some American Revolution stuff in 15mm scale; I only got one pic that came out well, and this is a tiny part of the table:

USVqvmQ.jpg

Oh, also, I recently painted some stuff for Star Wars: Legion. I know it's not Historical, I might re-use the figures for an FFG Star Wars rpg at some point:

GK4fvM8.jpg

dlgKh8z.jpg

I'm also working on some Hoth Rebels for that game.

Last edited:
Geez, I don't even know where to begin. I've got WAY too much stuff and way too many projects.

The most recent game I played was Eagles of Empire, it's skirmish gaming in the Franco-Prussian War in 28mm scale. The weekend before that I did some American Revolution stuff in 15mm scale; I only got one pic that came out well:

USVqvmQ.jpg

Oh, also, I recently painted some stuff for Star Wars: Legion. I know it's not Historical, I might re-use the figures for an FFG Star Wars rpg at some point:

GK4fvM8.jpg

dlgKh8z.jpg

I'm also working on some Hoth Rebels for that game.
Nice weathering on the AT-ST.

You're welcome here.
Edit: Oh, also, I just picked up Modiphius' Dune. I don't love the system, but the books (for the rpg) are good and I have loved the system since I was a kid. I don't know what I'll do with it - maybe make some mods or use a different system - but it's at the top of "games to play if I get time." I've posted a bit about that in the Roleplaying Games forum here.
After seeing what they did with the Conan properties I'm waiting for the inevitable end of license sale to pick the line up but I agree it looks gorgeous!

let me echo the other mods. you're welcome here. We are not real hot on cross board drama. https://www.rpgpub.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-the-rpgpub.8516/ details our overall view on things.
After seeing what they did with the Conan properties I'm waiting for the inevitable end of license sale to pick the line up but I agree it looks gorgeous!
same. i'll probably wait as well, though it does look nice!

This seems a good opportunity to plug the informal Pub Boardgames group. We've been a bit lazy about getting games together recently but I'm happy to host wargames for anyone who's interested. We generally play on TTS.

Probably board wargames.

I'm happy to do minis games if the interest is there, but it will need someone who knows how to do that technically on TTS. I have no idea and Brock Savage Brock Savage's tech knowledge stops in the era of Livejournal and Geocities.
What games are on your list to play? I goty first in person board game group back together last week after a 6 month hiatus and I'm missing them and gaming in general.

What're you looking at? There are some great games out there.

No way! I played in a Marvel Superheroes game back in the day, I loved that system. Hell, I should track down a copy.
Kinda like being at the market and eye balling the choice cuts of meat, I'm just looking and twitching. Around where I now live, there is some Battletech, WH40k, Star Wars Space Battles, Star Wars Legion, Kings of War and the like. I also think there is some historical wargaming, just not sure what exactly yet.

This area has been odd for me to break into any groups. lol

I hope they don't drop it. I'm pretty sure they'll have it until at least after the next movie (Part 2) comes out.

Here's a secret: When the game first came out they printed special editions of the core rulebook with covers for the Great Houses (Corrino, Atreides, Harkonnen) dependent on where you bought them from. Amazon sold the Harkonnen cover version.

Apparently they have a big stack of them buried in a warehouse somewhere because every few months they run a sale. I picked up the Amazon/Harkonen cover for under $20, which got me interested and made me pick up the other books. Check Amazon, it'll go on sale again.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back