How did you end up here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I saw a post on The RPG Site by Doc Sammy mentioning this site. I figured that no one here wanted me around since no one told me about it, and registered anyway. :tongue: I'm glad I did. I may agree with most RPG Site posters on a lot of issues, but I'd rather keep that crap separate from my hobbies as much as humanly possible.

Another poster mentioned the site to me in a PM and I checked it out and liked it a lot better than the other options. One thing I also really appreciate here is the humour, so much discourse on the net is po-faced and humourless.

Another poster mentioned the site to me in a PM and I checked it out and liked it a lot better than the other options. One thing I also really appreciate here is the humour, so much discourse on the net is po-faced and humourless.
Yes! Humor is what's lacking in other places and part of the reason is some are either too quick to anger or too quick to find any reason for offense.

I hope this place keeps the implied "IllI not look for the worst" view it mostly has right now.

Dan Davenport, invited me actually. I got banned for reporting abuse over at a certain site (and note their libelous response to "Why I was banned.") Apparently, those that are disabled, and such are not protected by law over there (I talked about my depression and such.) Also, I'd drifted away from the OTHER place, because of just personal stances. I welcome all games at least take em for a spin if I can; I'm also a) Religious and B) Progressive. Which can run afoul of the other two sites at times. Though mostly stick to games, and such; with occasionally trying to talk about depression so others won't know the stigma we face someday.

It was a long and winding road and it was sooo worth it. I had the idea for what would become the Pub quite a few years ago but I waited for whatever reason. It wouldn’t have been called the Pub then though and now I can’t imagine any other name for this community so I’m glad I waited. I feel honored that any would consider this little corner of the internet their pad.

Originally, I saw a post over on Facebook that mentioned the Pub - from someone that's a friend of a friend. Joined because it looked a lot more promising than what TheRpgSite offered. Less hostile, less political, and more focused on talking about Rpgs...

The Pub is the only Rpg forum that I really follow these days. I posted on BRPCentral for many years until Chaosium commandeered it and it became less interesting and more house organ. Posted on Yog-Sothoth for many, many years but haven't frequented it as much with the advent of CoC7e. I browse the Rancor Pit once in a while, but it's mainly for information gathering. Lots of stagnancy on the Dream Pod 9 forums.

I game primarily with friends and am not really embedded in the larger TTRPG community -- I don't go to cons, participate in Adventurers' League, et al. That being the case, given that I'm probably the most committed gamer of my extended group, I lurk here and there, in the places you'd expect. I heard about this site through the grapevine.

Whatever my own sociopolitical leanings (which I strongly prefer remain between me and the voting booth), I don't care to visit a roleplaying game site and be inundated with screeds from any particular camp. Time and place, you know, time and place. I play games to forget about the real world.

So, as I said earlier, here I am.

I game primarily with friends and am not really embedded in the larger TTRPG community -- I don't go to cons, participate in Adventurers' League, et al. That being the case, given that I'm probably the most committed gamer of my extended group, I lurk here and there, in the places you'd expect. I heard about this site through the grapevine.

Whatever my own sociopolitical leanings (which I strongly prefer remain between me and the voting booth), I don't care to visit a roleplaying game site and be inundated with screeds from any particular camp. Time and place, you know, time and place. I play games to forget about the real world.

So, as I said earlier, here I am.
Funny thing is I'm not even sure why a web site/forum about RPGs would even need sociopolitical discussions. I can't tell you how many people I've played with at a table and had absolutely no idea what their political or religious views were. I remember one gal decided that I should know she was gay or bisexual (I can't remember which because I didn't care) for whatever reason and my follow-up question was "...and?" That stuff could really not have less relevance to the games I play. And she liked to play big macho ladies' men, so there ya go.

I also came over from the RPGSite. The toxicity was infecting me and hearing the same broken record over and over got monotonous. I don't post much here but that's probably a good thing..

I don’t recall the thread at the Site but I think what pushed me over the edge to get the Pub rolling was a poster or two bemoaning the fact that there wasn’t really any options for general RPG forums that politics didn’t seep into every area. I did some research of my own and came to a similar conclusion. That and I never really felt at home at any of the other “big” forums.

Honestly I think the tipping point was that the Pub uses XenForo which makes following on my phone pleasant whereas that other RPG site is still in the forum dark ages.

Well, that was the other thing. If I was going to do it, I wanted it to be as tablet and phone friendly as possible. After looking at the statistics of how many people surf on their phones, I realized that there was no other way to go. If it's not easy to use, the average person will not stay long.

I was primarily at RPG.net. I got tired of the politics and the feeling I had to watch whatever I said. I still post there a little.

This place is better.
Yeah, I never posted on rpg.net, but I have the same experience on the WW/Onyx Path forum. Very stifling forum culture where you are constantly walking on eggshells. I vastly prefer therpgsite over rpg.net, but even that site has it's problems. It often sounds like a broken record or echo chamber and even though I agree with most of it, that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again. I am still posting over there and on rpggeek, just not as often as I used to.

The two other major boards have an undercurrent of aggression in them that makes it less fun to spend time with.
I've seen this before with various boating groups I've been members of. One had an irrational dislike of fishing boats. Another essentially sat on the dock as you came in and critiqued you're docking while being completely unhelpful.
Finally I found one that had in it's rules you had to assist anyone docking and all boats we're welcome. It's been a much better group to hang out with.

I'm here because although I like a wide choice of rpgs, I found myself mainly chatting on BRP Central about BRP games.

This often gets too insular, and BRP also isn't my favourite system these days. It's still a biggie for me, but just not top of the deck at present.

Plus I have a whole bookcase of non-BRP rpgs, so I spread my wings into more open forums like RPG Site, RPG Net, G+ communities, etc

They certainly cover a wide range of games, although many sites can be a bit D&D-centric at times. I have several editions of D&D, including 5E, but D&D generally is way down my list in terms of being a go-to system.

Somehow stumbled across RPG Pub through a recommendation on one of those sites, I think from someone on BRP Central or Fate G+.

Although I still check out the other forums, RPG Pub has become home base and is the only place I tend to check in on a daily basis.

No one rants on you too much if you play different games to them. People have their different tastes, but there hasn't been any obvious factionalism that is in some of the other forums. Plus the Moderators are not pushing company agendas, and generally come across friendly and welcoming.

World politics also has not crept in too much, which is good. The last thing I want to read on an escapist site like this is world politics.

I like a variety of hobbies, and a wide variety of rpgs, so this is a good place to often banter both. Plus several posters here seem to give me a chuckle, making the world a better place.

Occasionally things heat up here, but generally the vibe is cool and casual, which suits me fine :grin:

Last edited:
The two other major boards have an undercurrent of aggression in them that makes it less fun to spend time with.
I've seen this before with various boating groups I've been members of. One had an irrational dislike of fishing boats. Another essentially sat on the dock as you came in and critiqued you're docking while being completely unhelpful.
Finally I found one that had in it's rules you had to assist anyone docking and all boats we're welcome. It's been a much better group to hang out with.
It's absolutely amazing to me the myriad things people choose to be tribal about ...

Last edited:
I'd already begun to get tired ot both rpg.net and the RPG Site. I have health problems that are aggravated by stress, so the festering bile of both RPG.net and the RPG Site are bad places for me to spend too much time, although I still visit both in small doses.

My online home before I came here was actually the AV Club, which was a media site that began as the review section in The Onion. While the quality of the articles had been declining for a while, there was actually a great commenting community there. There was a similar goofy sense of humor to RPG Pub. There were even gaming discussions from time to time. In fact, Edgewise Edgewise and I met over there.

Eventually the site got rolled into Kinja, and commenting software software sucked. It became harder to have a conversation there, and I lost interest.

Around that time, like a lot of people, I heard someone over at the RPG Site mentioned there was this new forum where people didn't talk about games. I want to say it was Shipyard Locked Shipyard Locked , but I might just be thinking of him as he was one of the early posters here.

I liked the vibe here immediately. It's the first forum where I felt that I could just be myself, talk about games, make dumb jokes, and not worry having to keep my guard up.

This forum is a “failure”. Didn’t you know that?

I take the goofy humor to heart. My whole family has what my wife calls “a Midwestern sense of humor” but it may just be my particular family. We’ll take the most mundane events in life and spin these crazy scenes out of them. It’s sort of like Seinfeld in a way but it predates that. I’ll do it on my own but at reunions it is dialed up to an 11.

lol, that hasnt stopped Pundejo from ranting about it a few times :smile:
His envy is transparent. Actually it reminds me of a guy I knew in high school who would have to interrupt a hilarious story someone else was telling because god forbid he's not the center of attention for a few minutes. But enough about that dude, I'm here for the games and books and comics and records! :thumbsup::pizza::cake::drink::dice::eat:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back