How do y'all store your games?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I've actually been slowing down in recent years because of a lack of space. But I already had a huge collection from when I worked in a game store.
I'm slowing down too. Space is an annoying constraint.

In the house that we just entered a contract on, I'll have a gigantic office with built-in shelves. Oh how I'm looking forward to that. There are other more annoying built-ins that I'll have to have removed, but having these more than makes up for that annoyance.

I am a mad wizard. I make stacks and piles wherever there is room

You make me feel simultaneously better and worse about my Lego collection. Better because I apparently haven't dived that deep in. Worse because mine is soooo much less organized.
Yea, I've got a huge collection. Maybe I went a bit crazy, I dunno, but I have been slowly over the years working on a large "castle world." The last time I displayed the whole thing it was 15' wide, 5' deep, here's the first of several pictures:

Since then I've not been able to display the whole thing, but at the Bricks Cascade Lego convention this year I displayed a totally new 5'x5' section:

I think my wife would divorce me if I had the collections that some of guys have.
My wife grumbles about all my stuff. After we got engaged I did do a fire sale to downsize the gaming collection, and I've been selling off Lego I really wasn't ever going to use. I regret some of the gaming stuff I let go but really most of it was stuff I would never use.

The Lego moved out of my bedroom pretty quick though :-) (when we got together, my bedroom had my Lego sorting in it, another bedroom was the Lego room, and the gaming stuff was in those 3 bookcases that are now in my office in the living room, or in milk crates in the garage, with the currently used stuff in shelves in the family room.

I love seeing all the storage systems we have. Mine is definitely the most chaotic. If I could afford custom shelving, I could probably make it less chaotic. I'd love to have better shelving on my desk (which then I would use for books for my in progress games). Custom storage for the Lego would be awesome too.

Guys I just wanted advice about storage now y'all shelf shaming me with your massive collections.

If this is a - measuring contest, I'm comin' up short lmao.
My collection is large, but really, it could be a lot smaller and I'd be just as happy. It's got way more games than I'll ever play. I've shrunk it, but it could still be shrunk more.

My collection is large, but really, it could be a lot smaller and I'd be just as happy. It's got way more games than I'll ever play. I've shrunk it, but it could still be shrunk more.

I have never had a collection like some of you, but I have pared down quite a bit. Trying to avoid curiosity buys, really just buy stuff I have a legitimate interest in playing.

I love seeing all the storage systems we have. Mine is definitely the most chaotic. If I could afford custom shelving, I could probably make it less chaotic. I'd love to have better shelving on my desk (which then I would use for books for my in progress games). Custom storage for the Lego would be awesome too.
Re: legos
Yours is so much better than mine. I used to buy a bunch of Legos (mix of star wars/castle/city).
When I had kids I felt like in order to feel cool about the kids playing with them I had to bust them up to make them not mine. Now of course the kids want them rebuilt and all the boys are just in large bins. So I have to find that one piece in like a 10 gallon bin. So messed up. I figure I have maybe 50 gallons of Legos. Who knows. I've almost considered building one of those AI sorting machines to make life easier. Legos though are just the side hobby.

RPGs/board games are my jam. I love them. But so far I haven't found in person humans to play with especially RPGs. I'm currently hoping I have produced them. I would like to be more than just a collector of games.

This was going to be the year I built my own shelves for the game room/office. The kids were all going to be in school at least part time so I could focus for a few hours. Nope. Covid had other plans. Maybe next March is my guess.

Re: legos
Yours is so much better than mine. I used to buy a bunch of Legos (mix of star wars/castle/city).
When I had kids I felt like in order to feel cool about the kids playing with them I had to bust them up to make them not mine. Now of course the kids want them rebuilt and all the boys are just in large bins. So I have to find that one piece in like a 10 gallon bin. So messed up. I figure I have maybe 50 gallons of Legos. Who knows. I've almost considered building one of those AI sorting machines to make life easier. Legos though are just the side hobby.

RPGs/board games are my jam. I love them. But so far I haven't found in person humans to play with especially RPGs. I'm currently hoping I have produced them. I would like to be more than just a collector of games.

This was going to be the year I built my own shelves for the game room/office. The kids were all going to be in school at least part time so I could focus for a few hours. Nope. Covid had other plans. Maybe next March is my guess.
I bought a kids collection once, it was at least a couple big boxes worth. And that was after he had already sorted through it to recreate several hundred sets. I sorted through and put together at least 10-20 sets before I gave up and sorted the rest as parts. Part of why I even managed to do that was I had a cold too nasty to go to work, so I sat on the floor sorting through the parts.

Most of my parts come from either buying parts in various ways, or buying sets and sorting them immediately not ever building. Though I do build plenty of sets.

For me, Lego and gaming are about equal hobbies. I've also combined Lego and gaming, running Evil Stevie's Pirate Game (by the US Steve Jackson of GURPs fame) at Lego and gaming conventions (two Gencons and one Origins in the early 2000s). The funny thing is I remember in the mid 90s seeing the Egytian themed Adventurers sets in Toys R Us and thinking they would be cool for use in RPGs but how would you ever acquire enough to do a big setup... Little did I know I would bite the bug seriously and now I build those big setups... I'm still trying to figure out how to turn them into something for gaming...

Guys I just wanted advice about storage now y'all shelf shaming me with your massive collections.

If you wanted advice, I found what I think is the perfect shelf system on Amazon.

mSs74Df.jpg

It's 4 tiers, and I like the fact that it's narrow. I have two put together right now, and my wife bought me 2 more for Christmas. I was planning to switch to purely using those, but with the built-ins in the new house, I'm going to have to figure out how to integrate the two together.

I have never had a collection like some of you, but I have pared down quite a bit. Trying to avoid curiosity buys, really just buy stuff I have a legitimate interest in playing.

I don't think I could do that. I love mining all sorts of things that I'll never play for ideas for the games that I do play.

I regret getting rid of my Legos after a quick Google search revealed a site dedicated to Lego D&D and a Heroquest style dungeoncrawler. I am sure there's a lot more out there and I can easily see myself spending a lot of money on it.

Dude I know right? I thought I had a decent collection and now I'm just shamed.

Here is a pic of my RPG bookshelves in the library (the joy of a 4 bedroom unit). I need to move the novels our of the top shelves of the left and middle and the top two of the right (they are behind the stack of RPG books).
Sheflie 1 s.jpg

Here are a few more piled up. I am aiming to get one of those wide open sided Ikea book shelves and put it in the middle of the room, move my TPBs into it, novels to there they are and then all the RPGs should fit .... for a while :smile: I just have to wait until my mother in law takes the stuff back she stored with us.

Shelfe 2 s.jpg

Ouch. Many of these photos are reminding me to dust and vacuum.

*Allergy itching intensifies*

Well in my case it came with the package. I never lost or had my stuff thrown away. And I done well enough publishing that I hadn't have to pay for any material with my paycheck for a while. But yeah I have some friends who wives would not look too kindly on them spending a lot on RPG stuff.
Then I really hope said wives don't spend too much on their hobbies, either:thumbsup:!

Here is a pic of my RPG bookshelves in the library (the joy of a 4 bedroom unit). I need to move the novels our of the top shelves of the left and middle and the top two of the right (they are behind the stack of RPG books).
View attachment 19521

Your shelves are showing one of the reasons that I like the narrower option better unless they're built-ins - the bowing at the center of some of your shelves. I have had one break before. :argh:

Your shelves are showing one of the reasons that I like the narrower option better unless they're built-ins - the bowing at the center of some of your shelves. I have had one break before. :argh:
Yes
It annoys me to no end that you can't get 22" Billy shelves. Apparently you could/can in Europe but not in the US. I have couple of them someone brought over from the continent. Those ones don't bow.

I know :sad: A friend was able to get a huge set of shelving from a library that was shutting and having its collection amalgamated elsewhere. Now that was amazing shelving!

Then I really hope said wives don't spend too much on their hobbies, either:thumbsup:!

The joy I have is my wife is just as much into RPGs as me. She has nowhere near my collection of books (she prefers to play and reading novels are her thing rather than RPG books) but I think I have her covered :smile:

I don't begrudge the Mrs her hobbies; like me she grew up poor so she tends towards thriftiness. If anything, I'd like her to spend a little more money on herself. She just dropped a couple hundred bucks on colored pens after spending hours determining how to get the most bang for her buck like she was buying a car or something. I've been trying to teach her how to avoid the "pennywise but pound foolish" pitfall and that her time is worth money.

I regret getting rid of my Legos after a quick Google search revealed a site dedicated to Lego D&D and a Heroquest style dungeoncrawler. I am sure there's a lot more out there and I can easily see myself spending a lot of money on it.

I have a bunch of fake Lego minifigs. They are not as good as the really ones most of the time, but you can get some really cool bits cheaply. I keep them is a big tacklebox.

I have a 4-section-by-2-section Kallax-style bookshelf. The top shelf has my almost-complete collection of 1980s Marvel Graphic Novels (the numbered, 8.5" x 11" ones), the second shelf has most of my RPG books, and the bottom two shelves have board games. This shelf is in the dining room, because that's where the big table is. I have some more RPG books on a different bookshelf in the living room.

LOL I bought the exact same stuff at Target except my tubs are black. I carry my good metal minis in Chessex cases. What is that, a wine crate? The Mrs is using my crates as display/storage for her stuff.
My mom was a teacher and had about 12 wooden milk crates she used for her classrooms. When she retired she brought them home and eventually gave them to me. Then when I got married I lost all but four of them to my wife who made a display/storage setup that involved nailing them together. I was a bit horrified as I prized them for storage.

Twenty years later that was finally pried apart so my youngest could have a space for his VR stuff. But I moved on and we used it to store some of the stuff that was there.

They were built like battleships. One survived being thrown out of my car in the late 80s due to the fact I was driving a 1967 Dodge Polara and one of the rear doors would fly open if you didn't slam it shut just so. Well I took a corner too fast and the door popped open and the crate when flying along with with half of my Wilderlands notes and Judges Guild book. Luckily it happened next to the town square and the surrounding streets were wide open enough that I didn't have to block traffic to retrieve everything. The crate survived and successfully protected the material that stayed in.And I retrieved everything else.

They were built like battleships.
That was a cool story, I wish I kept all my old-school wooden crates as well. My dad had a old Budweiser crate and it was the one thing of his I wanted as a memento upon his death and it got thrown in the trash; I am still mad about it. Those durable old crates are a nice blend of function and attractiveness. I imagine a good solid one must cost like a billion dollars nowadays because every crate I run across is cheap and flimsy.

I have some plastic milk crates that have seen almost every misuse imaginable as I used to carry all of my Rolemaster books from place to place in them. If they are any indication of how ruggedly the wooden ones were built, I can imagine that they're very hard to damage!

I treat my games pretty poorly (even ones I made). If they are lucky, they end up on a shelf of some kind. Most end up in stacks on tables, or floors. I write in them, fold pages, and generally don't worry about their longevity.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back