How do you all keep track of all your PDFs?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I remember watching a shitty English-language remake of a Japanese horror movie in which the world was being invaded by spectres from the aether. The Scientist Who Unwittingly Released The Evil described his work in hushed tones: "We found frequencies... that no-one had ever thought of searching for!"

Which is a bit like saying "We found numbers that no-one had ever thought of counting!" Dumb.
"Wait ... there are frequencies BETWEEN 4000 AND 5000?! ... "

Yeah, that's some good old-fashioned movie science right there. :grin:

Indeed. My other major hobby is music. Don't get me adding up how much I've spent on instruments and equipment, and I'm nowhere near as bad as some folks.

The 4 that immediately came to the top of my head were golf, boats, fast cars and collecting ex-wives. :hehe: I could be tempted by boats, but I've learned through others better to know a boat owner than to be a boat owner. I don't generally think of music, but sure, it is possible to spend some serious money there.

The folder is only purchased products from drivethrurpg.com, Bundle of Holding, Kickstarter, etc. I keep my personal game files in a different folder. However, a file could be maps or other items that came with the purchase, or a separate file for the cover (e.g. the Fantasy HERO Bundle of Holding did that). So it's not a pure count of "books".

Sure that makes sense. I actually like it when they pull covers and other parts you might want to print separately out of the main file. I knew I was a lightweight when it comes to pdfs. I'm finally seeing some vindication in recent posts supporting my theory. :grin:

I don't generally think of music, but sure, it is possible to spend some serious money there.
Oh my goodness, yes. Pretty much the least you can spend for a minimally playable upright bass is $1k-ish, and good basses can start to cost as much as a new car. Don't even get me started on piano (baby grand, anyone?) ...

Here's where I keep my Classic Traveller PDFs.... :-)
154746main_moonwalk_tapes_1_516px.jpg

I mostly use Google Drive, so that I can access them from wherever. I think I have around 1000 pdfs. My filing system is not good, but I more or less remember where everything is. Doing a reorganization has been on my toDo list for years, especially now that tabletop board games have begun to join my online "library."

I do a combination of making a folder for the specific game/system if it's something generic or can be used in almost any kind of setting you can think of, and then the rest I have folders for genre (so like Cowboy themed, High Fantasy themed, Cyberpunk themed, etc.)

On my computer, I keep them meticulously organized by game family, then by specific system, then by core rulebooks, supplements (by series), and then third-party (by publisher, then by series and/or function).

This is pretty much exactly how I organize mine. I want to have a catalog also, as sometimes I forget what's under which system- especially when something is available in multiple systems, as I try to file those together rather than spreading them out for sanity's sake.

Oh my goodness, yes. Pretty much the least you can spend for a minimally playable upright bass is $1k-ish, and good basses can start to cost as much as a new car. Don't even get me started on piano (baby grand, anyone?) ...

That is why I find that clip from the Blues Brothers funny. I'm guessing there is a real story behind that bit about somebody they knew trading their car for an instrument or piece of equipment needed for a gig..

This is pretty much exactly how I organize mine. I want to have a catalog also, as sometimes I forget what's under which system- especially when something is available in multiple systems, as I try to file those together rather than spreading them out for sanity's sake.
Out of curiosity, what are your "Families" of games?

That is why I find that clip from the Blues Brothers funny. I'm guessing there is a real story behind that bit about somebody they knew trading their car for an instrument or piece of equipment needed for a gig..
Old joke ...

Q: "What's a musician"?
A: "Someone who puts $5000 of gear in a $500 car to drive to a $50 gig ... "

(True story ... )

Out of curiosity, what are your "Families" of games?

Well, I have two overarching categories - one for systems that I actively (or might actively) use, and one for systems that I just have.

Under my active category, I have it set up like this:
fEggDOO.png

I have a few there that I haven't used in a while, so I probably should move them to my archive folder. But I also have so many that I haven't filed that I should take care of that first.

One thing I haven't really figured out in my categorization, is how to handle settings that I don't use in the games they're for. My largest example is Eberron, though it applies to Iron Kingdoms, Exalted and Aberrant/Trinity. I use the source material, but not the system. I sometimes use Storyteller and the IKRPG system, so that was a bit easier, but I never play 5e/4e any more. I just made an Eberron folder, and have all of my 5e/4e stuff in my archive.

One thing I haven't really figured out in my categorization, is how to handle settings that I don't use in the games they're for. My largest example is Eberron, though it applies to Iron Kingdoms, Exalted and Aberrant/Trinity. I use the source material, but not the system. I sometimes use Storyteller and the IKRPG system, so that was a bit easier, but I never play 5e/4e any more. I just made an Eberron folder, and have all of my 5e/4e stuff in my archive.
This is why I'd like to build a database with all my stuff and apply tags to everything.

Reactions: dbm
This is why I'd like to build a database with all my stuff and apply tags to everything.
I've tried that using a couple of programs, but the problem is entering everything and tagging it. I barely have time to get them into their correct folders. I've tried Alfa Ebooks Manager, Calibre, and Tagspaces. Getting the books in isn't a problem in any of them, but getting them tagged is.

I've tried that using a couple of programs, but the problem is entering everything and tagging it. I barely have time to get them into their correct folders. I've tried Alfa Ebooks Manager, Calibre, and Tagspaces. Getting the books in isn't a problem in any of them, but getting them tagged is.
Mine are already in a file hierarchy so some of the tagging could be done automatically. Names could also be useful for tagging. After that I could grab existing tags from places like BGG and RPG.net.

It varies but its all folder based... Options:
  1. RPGs -> Name of Game -> [If needed; sub-folders divided into things like "Rules", "Campaigns", "Adventures", etc then under those I may folders for PCs, etc]
  2. I also duplicate some PDFs/docs as well if I mine various games for ideas, bringing them together as a whole so may organise some for a specific game I want to do that combines/uses books and ideas from multiple systems - I often organise into genres for this kind of thing; so if I'm thinking of running a horror game I'll create a Horror folder and gradually populate it with copies of game material from elsewhere other folders
Here are a few screenshots to show what I mean:

1593793031786.png
And an example of subfolders within a game (eg, The One Ring):

1593793142179.png

It varies but its all folder based... Options:
  1. RPGs -> Name of Game -> [If needed; sub-folders divided into things like "Rules", "Campaigns", "Adventures", etc then under those I may folders for PCs, etc]
  2. I also duplicate some PDFs/docs as well if I mine various games for ideas, bringing them together as a whole so may organise some for a specific game I want to do that combines/uses books and ideas from multiple systems - I often organise into genres for this kind of thing; so if I'm thinking of running a horror game I'll create a Horror folder and gradually populate it with copies of game material from elsewhere other folders
Here are a few screenshots to show what I mean:

- snip image -

And an example of subfolders within a game (eg, The One Ring):

- snip image -
I like the way that you use numbers to presumably make your most used ones go to the top? I'd not thought of that, and will be stealing that!

"You have 4917 titles awaiting your review", Drivethru announced when I opened my profile:devil:.

Those that I keep on my hard drive, I have arranged using a mixed subject-and-dice mechanic system which also uses the names of the files. So for example Traveller and Cepheus Engine share a subfolder of the 2d6 folder while all (three or so) of my D&D5th files share a subfolder of the OSR folder, while the CHAINMAIL subfolder contains Crimson Blades, Spellcraft & Swordplay and similar systems.

It's messy but it works for me:thumbsup:.

"You have 4917 titles awaiting your review", Drivethru announced when I opened my profile:devil:.

Those that I keep on my hard drive, I have arranged using a mixed subject-and-dice mechanic system which also uses the names of the files. So for example Traveller and Cepheus Engine share a subfolder of the 2d6 folder while all (three or so) of my D&D5th files share a subfolder of the OSR folder, while the CHAINMAIL subfolder contains Crimson Blades, Spellcraft & Swordplay and similar systems.

It's messy but it works for me:thumbsup:.

Lightweight! :grin:

rh85aJ4.png

:closed:

I do them by system, then sub-folders if necessary due to the amount of files. My Old World of Darkness files are a great example of this rule, plus all the DCC stuff i have.

I do them by system, then sub-folders if necessary due to the amount of files. My Old World of Darkness files are a great example of this rule, plus all the DCC stuff i have.
Welcome Halas!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back