How do you find players?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Word of mouth is the best. Friend of a friend, coworker, somebody's roommate etc. When you have a good game going, word gets out and people want to get on.

Without a steady ongoing game, I've used Meetup. forums like Dragonsfoot, Facebook to meet other gamers. Many were good people to game with.

I live in Toronto, and have had more opportunities to play than I want.

I think I met a guy who might be amenable to playing and possibly GMing on my Saturday Afternoon* practice:tongue:.

He's in his 20ies and had tried to invent his own game in the 90ies because he was a fan of gamebooks and wanted to play something original with his friends, and basically tried Refereeing a dungeoncrawl (his words) for them...but got stuck on the system. "Only later, when we heard of D&D, we realized we've been trying to get something like this, but we didn't have any such rules" (nor, presumably, experience with Frei Kriegsspiel:shade:).

He hadn't tried getting into RPGs, though, because he was introduced to D&D and Pathfinder, and was kinda intimidated by, quote, "the huge amount of rules and stuff you have to understand", unquote. Otherwise, he's into wargames (not sure which ones) and stuff.
Now, if you were wondering what gamers who aren't RPG players think about D&D as an introductory system, you know:evil:!

Anyway, I didn't tell him how many times I've heard this story before (and I think I've lost count:gunslinger:). Instead, I showed him the file of Of Realms Unbounded, which was on my phone, and told him the 20 pages are enough to play.
I also sent him links to Cepheus Modern, Mythras, and the Atomic Highway on his Viber...maybe I should send him Fantasy Lark and Star ORE, too:devil:!

*Which is different from Saturday Morning/Evening/Sunday Morning/Afternoon, which is on hold due to the leading figures currently being in another country, and the rest suddenly developing a case of Too Busy Right Now. Saturday Afternoon practice is much safer, though, and I can welcome the change for a time:grin:!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back