Votes: 5 9.4%
  • PC/Laptop

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious how you all view and read the Pub. I attached a poll. I know many here use multiple platforms but I'm really interested in seeing what you usually default to over everything else. I always felt one of the great strengths of the Pub out of the gate was it's ease of use on smaller platforms. Let me know.

Primarily on a PC - I'll sometimes read it on the phone, but never logged in.

99% cell phone by time and refresh. PC a super distant second. Tablet as the PCs freakish afterthought

PC is my preferred, and the main way I do any posting. Tablet a distant second and I'll only post if something really gets my attention and I'll be away from the PC for an extended period (days). Cell phone only if I'm bored and no wifi for the tablet.

Both PC and Cell Phone, although I prefer PC
I often check it on the cell phone when I am bored at work, but generally prefer to type back home on the PC

I read MOSTLY on the PC though I check on the phone almost every day. I am unlikely to respond on the phone because I hate composing much of anything big on the phone. I have used a tablet when traveling. I appreciate that this forum works well on the phone, it is a pleasure to check on the phone.

Before Covid, I would read on my cellphone during the day and PC at night - now it's only PC

Total PC. Click "New Posts", Ctrl+Click any posts that look interesting to pop 'em into another tab, Click "Mark Forums Read" and close that window, check out the threads in my tabs. Post every once in a great while.

Laptop mostly. I've also used a tablet while staying with the in-laws, but that makes it an ordeal to reply.

I use a PC to read The Pub. Those familiar with my postings will not be surprised to find that it's an old Thinkpad.

Cell phone and PC, with the former the more common, by maybe a 2:1 ratio.

Virtually always the PC, odd time the tablet.

PC. I already look at too many forums on my phone.

I'm curious how you all view and read the Pub. I attached a poll. I know many here use multiple platforms but I'm really interested in seeing what you usually default to over everything else. I always felt one of the great strengths of the Pub out of the gate was it's ease of use on smaller platforms. Let me know.

I voted PC because it's what I prefer to use when interacting, but I use my phone if I happen to, say, be at work on a slow day and browse over.

I can practically guarantee that if I wrote a response that's more than a sentence, then it's on PC and not my phone.

I voted laptop but I do use my phone a lot too, and the Pub is indeed very small screen friendly.

I voted laptop but I do use my phone a lot too, and the Pub is indeed very small screen friendly.
It's mind-blowing that other forums don't take the time to make stylesheets to make their sites more mobile friendly. CSS isn't difficult.

Exclusively PC here. (Desktop not laptop).

Phone and tablet. Usually only on my PC to do work or veedy games.

I always felt one of the great strengths of the Pub out of the gate was it's ease of use on smaller platforms.
While I experience no problems visiting the Pub on my phone or my notebook, I almost always visit on my desktop for two reasons, neither of which have anything to do with the site itself: 1) I prefer typing anything more than a sentence or two on a full-size keyboard and 2) I'm more proficient cutting and pasting with a mouse than a touch screen, for I am very old and have decades of muscle-memory invested in my peripherals and keyboard shortcuts. I simply haven't developed the same dexterity with the touchpad on my notebook and the screen on my phone.

Hope that helps.

I find I don't have the manual dexterity for the on-screen keyboard of a phone; I've never really warmed to touch screen user interfaces. They're convenient in that you can run them off a small phone or tablet sized device, but I'm used to things with more tactile feedback.

The most annoying thing I find about my phone is that it's fiddly to hold it without tripping the touchscreen and my fingers often hit the wrong button, particularly on the on-screen keyboard. The S4 has a rim that the S3 didn't, so it's an improvement in that respect. Fundamentally, though, the UI of most mobile devices is designed to be manipulated by 10-15 year old asian school girls and the scale of the controls reflects that.

Maybe I'm just old.

While I experience no problems visiting the Pub on my phone or my notebook, I almost always visit on my desktop for two reasons, neither of which have anything to do with the site itself: 1) I prefer typing anything more than a sentence or two on a full-size keyboard and 2) I'm more proficient cutting and pasting with a mouse than a touch screen, for I am very old and have decades of muscle-memory invested in my peripherals and keyboard shortcuts. I simply haven't developed the same dexterity with the touchpad on my notebook and the screen on my phone.

Hope that helps.

That's what I was trying to say.

Tablet mostly, PC second. I only use a phone when the others aren’t available.

I only use my PC for this forum. Don't have a tablet and I'm not on the internet with my phone. My phone is not on the internet, because I'm paranoid and I actually like being away from the internet when I'm not home. Technically I could have it go into my wifi at home, but why would I do that then I have a PC?

PC 90+% of the time. If there's a thread I'm really into, I might read on my phone to keep up with it when I'm away from my PC.

That's what I was trying to say.
If I had my druthers I would be right there with you both. However I spend all day away from my PC and if I want to interact online I have to do it through a phone. It's not as easy to do a lot of things on the phone however I do find some of the optimizations they do on phones to be an improvement over my existing keyboard and mouse desktop setup. Spellcorrect/sentence completion is much more user friendly on my phone.
If you interact with your phone enough it becomes pretty handy. I'm probably equally proficient with my phone now as I am with keyboard and mouse.

I hated typing on the iPhone when I first got it. After a while it becomes second nature. I still get frustrated occasionally but I like the layout optimization on the phone.

I spend like 16 hours a day sat at either one or two computers, so there...

PC's 99.9% of the time

I use my phone only for business... and some personal. Most people contact me via DM's on my PC's. And since I run my own network in my house, I basically have a decked out gaming rig in every room of the house. So it's easy to jump into the Pub whenever I need to blow off some steam or hide from real responsibilities LOL

For when you need to pwn n00bs right now, not ten feet away? :smile:

Well you know... my whole family games, we're like a hit-squad in Battlefield, MMO Raiding etc. And sometimes we have friends over that game as well - so you know, we kinda indulge.

Normally on my laptop.

I check Unread Items and then pick through the threads that might interest me.

Laptop mostly; I don't use my phone to read much of anything, and don't usually interact with anything with my tablet that I may want to respond to.

I get frustrated sometime typing on my phone when \kajhfd dhsk \kldfjbef f and then djhfaf. At which point I hurl my phone into the depths of the abyss and go looking for a payphone.

Well, yeah. I read a lot of things on my tablet, but, well, its a bigger tablet than most people bother with, and even on it I don't like to type. I want a keyboard, damn it!

Most of us on PC? We're so old.
Age has something to do with it - I grew up with mouse/keyboard UIs, and find touch screens don't really work well for me - especially small ones on phones. There are a few things I'm tempted to try a tablet for - drawing software, for example, but I'm not especially motivated to do this.

I also work in IT for a living, and have a fair old plethora of software that has no really decent mobile equivalents. Apart from this, I'm a touch typist, so the on-screen keyboards on tablets and phones don't work well for me at all. Also, my eyesight is not what it was, so reading small text on phone screens is something I prefer not to do.

I've got a Galaxy Tab S2 that I'm not using at all. By the way, I highly recommend these if you want a cheap tablet. Ours has survived nearly five years including three at the tender ministrations of two pre-school children. It is visibly bent, yet it still keeps trucking along. Secondhand ones with a good battery seem to go for around £100 or so on Ebay, although you need to make sure you get a 3G one if you want that; not all of them had 3G support.

TL;DR: I'm old and have a lot of legacy deskstop software.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back