How to kill a thread?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Arminius

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Look, I like Gronan, and I recognize that the recent “this old argument” thread was indeed rehashing a bunch of old stuff. Nevertheless I thought there was some good content there, and it was also nice to see opinions from some people I hadn’t run into before (afaik).

But now the thread was killed because Gronan disliked the topic and posted some indelicate comment? It seems very much to be giving in to the heckler’s veto.

The thread was already on a slippery slope, only saved in the last couple days by a few jokes. We had reports days ago and it was discussed between the mods. Everyone had an itchy trigger finger.

Anyone can start a new thread on any of the genuine topics being discussed, there's already been a few on the overall topic during The Pub's lifetime, but it is a topic that seems to inevitably devolve into personal attacks and semantic arguments.

In that case the thread had already descended pretty far, Gronan's rather tasteless joke wasn't so much the straw that broke the camel's back as simply the final nail in the coffin after the corpse had already been stinking for quite a while.

In general, that would not have been enough on it's own to close the thread, in this case that was simply the easy solution.

You're not wrong. On the other hand, I'm sure this subject will come up again in some form someday, but hopefully in a less nit-picky, turf-battley kind of way that is chill & generous & groovy. Knowing that the subject can come back and thread-closures aren't necessarily like a blanket condemnation of the subject or people, but just that somehow the dynamic in the thread developed in an icky way, seems like a decent enough policy.

A word of appreciation for our mod overlords. It's hard to know where to draw the line, especially on a site like this with a firm commitment to open conversation among mature adults. Despite my half-joke that the topic itself should be banned, I think they chose the right moment to shut it down. You gotta give people a chance even if you know that you've been here before. The chance was given in good faith. Even the initial decision to excise the conversation was a very good one. I probably would have come down harder but I don't have a great role-playing forum that's growing at a very nice and manageable rate.

Seriously though, that topic is always a stinker. I don't know why people never seem to learn.

You're not wrong. On the other hand, I'm sure this subject will come up again in some form someday, but hopefully in a less nit-picky, turf-battley kind of way that is chill & generous & groovy. Knowing that the subject can come back and thread-closures aren't necessarily like a blanket condemnation of the subject or people, but just that somehow the dynamic in the thread developed in an icky way, seems like a decent enough policy.
I think the problem is that the subject almost always gets contentious, because at some point someone gets accused of not really role-playing and then we're off to the races. The only times I've seen it go okay are when everyone's on the same side, but then they accuse the group that isn't there of not really role-playing, and that's not really much better. It also doesn't help that some notable personalities with strong opinions have basically poisoned the well, and any discussion of it ends up carrying their baggage too.

I think the problem is that the subject almost always gets contentious, because at some point someone gets accused of not really role-playing and then we're off to the races. The only times I've seen it go okay are when everyone's on the same side, but then they accuse the group that isn't there of not really role-playing, and that's not really much better. It also doesn't help that some notable personalities with strong opinions have basically poisoned the well, and any discussion of it ends up carrying their baggage too.
Yes, this.
Also, guilty as charged:shade:!

To be fair, "tits" in this context means worthless and worn out. Its an old word for "beating a dead horse".

Since Gronan had already positioned archers and set fire to the thread, the context was almost certainly trying to disrupt the thread. What did you think "this context" was?

Saying tits to it and start again usually means "screw this".
All im getting at is that tits doesn't have to mean a part of anatomy. It has another meaning which to what was said makes more sense imo.

Im not defending the person. Just the usage of the word.

How weird. In my neck of the woods, "it's the tits" means enthusiastic approval, based on the theory that no-one dislikes tits.
I've heard that too.
You can also call someone a tit which basically means "you are an idiot"
Its a type of bird.
You can go "tits up" which is another form of belly up.
You can say "tits" to this! Which is screw this.
Or you can say something is tits... Beaten like a dead horse.

Also it means boobs.

Its a versatile word.

Words! Who can understand them? We better stop using them and stick to purely wordless meme images which will not allow for any misunderstanding. I can't imagine what could go wrong.

True, and what better way to avoid misunderstanding of words than to use more words!

Hey angry grunts,screams and lobbed objects seems to work for my daughter so far.

Hey angry grunts,screams and lobbed objects seems to work for my daughter so far.
Yeah, that's just because we parents don't have the same level of stubborness :tongue:

True, and what better way to avoid misunderstanding of words than to use more words!

I can't tell if this is optimism or pessimism, spasm or sarcasm, snark or boojum.

Bunch's daughter is way clearer.

I can't tell if this is optimism or pessimism, spasm or sarcasm, snark or boojum.

Bunch's daughter is way clearer.
That is what is called muddying the waters... and I'm done playing.

What? OK, if that's what you want; pistols at dawn it is. My second will contact your second ... with an amusing JPEG, to avoid any misunderstandings.
Naw... just the ignore button. Much easier that way. Later

The wordlessness of the ignore button makes all clear. :sun:

It counts. Smurf genitalia is not below the waist. See that huge bulbous object on the face? Not a nose.
But he's still got a hat. Unlike the Celts!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back