Humans vs Monsters OOC Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rules

Rules to Live By

This is a modified version of Rules to Live By, a generic LARP system by Mike Young. It's pretty straightforward and I can handle the rules side for any who don't want to get into the mechanics!

Base System

When a character wants to do something, the player must perform a challenge. It is done as follows: Base STAT + Ability Level + one die vs. Target Number + one die. Note that the sum of the STAT + Ability Level is called an Ability Rating.

The target number is decided based on the Ability. It could be an opponent’s STAT or a set number (such as the difficulty in picking a lock).

If the player’s total is higher than the target, the player succeeds. If the target total is higher, the player fails. That’s it. All resolutions are done essentially the same way.

There is a special case for when the die rolls produce a tie. If the totals after the die rolls are the same, then the winner is the one who had the lower ability rating before the die roll.

Skills and Abilities

There are some generic skills on all of your character sheets. You'll note that almost all of them cover combat which I'll cover in its own section.

The main one to be aware of is “Library Use”. You can be assumed to have done at least some basic research about the situation. This skill allows you to ask me a question about the background. Nothing secret or esoteric, this is very much a general knowledge skill. The difficulty is a target number of “information complexity” set by me. Obviously, this is down to character background. Keedle the Dwarf Leader might well know something about precious stones but the complexities of goblin mating rituals are likely beyond their knowledge.

You also have some abilities. These are much like the generic skills but are specific to your character. They should make sense from the character sheets alone, but obviously ask if you have any questions.

Using Skills/Abilities Secretly

This is entirely possible. Send me a PM and I'll tell you the result. Obviously, this only works where feasible. Hitting someone with your club secretly isn't really possible in a tavern.

Combat

This won't necessarily break out but just in case.

To initiate combat, announce you're doing so.

The people fighting (and any other characters jumping in!) give a description of how they're fighting and I'll narrate it from there. Sadly, blow by blow tactics isn't going to be possible here!

Conditional orders are not only acceptable but encouraged. Please don't make them too complex, but things like when you're going to surrender or flee are fine.

All attacks use a relevant combat skill and are against your opponent's dodge. Each character will get to attack once a round.

Damage

Damage comes in three types, yellow, red and blue.

Yellow is temporary damage, of the kind you'd get when beaten up.

Red is permanent damage, like being hit with an axe gives you.

Blue is weird stuff like spells or poison.

For each level of damage you take (regardless of colour) subtract one from all skills and abilities. This can go negative.

Unconsciousness and Death

Your hit points are the total of your strength and will stats. You fall unconscious when you have as many damage levels as you have hit points. You die if you have yellow and red levels at twice your hit points. (Blue levels never kill you).

If knocked out you'll wake up some time later (OOC: 24 hours from the combat post).

Recovery

Red levels will not be healed in the time scope of the game! However, when you wake up you will lose all Yellow damage levels. For each three Yellow removed you gain one Red. (This is rounded down, so one or two Yellow will cause no permanent damage). It is possible to die from this; if you have as many Red Levels as Hit Points at this stage your character is considered to have bled out!

Posting Format

There's going to be three types of post for this game.

I'm expecting the most common form to be dialogue so it doesn't need special formating apart from speech marks. This is very much a diplomatic game. This will be posted as your character.

If you're taking IC actions I suggest using third person and doing so in italics.

For OOC actions use the [OOC]hashtag[/OOC]. That's mainly for abilities. Obviously any big OOC stuff can go in the OOC thread.

An example is easier for this:

Thrump grabs his club and scowls. He waves it threatenly at Scorm.

"Look Gobbo. If you don't stop interrupting me I'm going to smash this right over your head in the hope of improving your looks"

[OOC]Thrump uses his intimidate ability on Scorm[/OOC]

Happy to add stuff if people think it's needed but that should cover most things I think.

Last edited:
Planned Schedule:

Obviously, this can change depending on players.

I'm looking at trying someting new for this, with a week of posts and a definite end point.

If it works for people I'm thinking start on the 11th of August (Midnight) and finish on the 19th (Midnight). The latter can be considered closing time so everything needs to be resolved by then!

I'll start by doing a post describing the scene, then your characters can arrive and you can give any descriptions etc. The moderator can then open with a speech and we're away.

I actually suspect there won't be much for me to do apart from maybe moderate ability use.

Ask if there's any questions etc.!

Did I miss the character sheets?

My GF is going to make an account and join us so we're only missing Thrump. Expect character sheets by the end of the evening.

Woot, found a PDF splitting site online. Sending out characters now.

Character sheet and world sheet downloaded. Really looking forward to this!

It says I need permission to download. I clicked the button that said to apply for it. Did anything show up at your end?

It says I need permission to download. I clicked the button that said to apply for it. Did anything show up at your end?
Sent me an email. Not sure why it did that when I'd given you the link but you should have access now!

Yep, now I can see the docs. :smile:
I think whatever you did to enable him cut me off. I can't see my character or my worldview sheet.

I have read the basic rules above and posting guidelines.

I think whatever you did to enable him cut me off. I can't see my character or my worldview sheet.

I have read the basic rules above and posting guidelines.
Do you mind PMing me your email and I'll send them direct? (I promise not to send you emails from Nigerian Princes)

Ok, assuming that Bunch's email got through fine everyone has their characters and we're read to go next week!

(Well, Zotrian hasn't signed up for the Pub yet but as she is in the same room as me playing Tomb Raider it's not going to be hard to prod her).

Ok, assuming that Bunch's email got through fine everyone has their characters and we're read to go next week!

(Well, Zotrian hasn't signed up for the Pub yet but as she is in the same room as me playing Tomb Raider it's not going to be hard to prod her).
It got through. I want all the stuff.

Let's see if I'm able to post again.

Edit: yes, yes I am. Got my sheet & looking forward to it.
Edit 2: I like how it's a diplomacy game and there are combat rules.

Yep, at Midnight! I'll be playing Thrump as a NPC in case anyone had plans for the troll delegate.

As IC chairperson, this is how I think it should go down: a few rl days of public rp, then my character will call a 15 minute break. That break will end a day or two later rl, when people have posted here that they're ready so we know we're all ready to continue. This will give people chance to do private behind the scenes negotiation, then we come back to public rp until the end. Sound good?

Sounds good to me. Monster interests may benefit from a bit of private time away from the humans.

Moonstar is brilliant, btw. I think I went to uni with at least one of her.

Helo frends. Are we still planning to finish on the 19th? It seems to me we might need a bit more time to resolve things.

I haven't PbP'd since my LiveJournal days, and that one ran for ten years, so be careful with it.

Which is why I'm currently being very hands-off and haven't called a recess yet. Way I see it, in terms of words and actions by characters and how long they take, we're like 10 mins in

Sorry about the Dwarfish radio silence, I stopped getting notifications for some reason, also a moderate amount of real life occurred.

We'll leave that nicely ambiguous what Dwarves do and do not eat. Although we've established they don't like sunlight and don't eat cows... hrmmm.

We seem to have reached an impasse - would now be a good time for a secret faction conflab?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back