I appreciate this place

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I do read and post at some other forums (including the occasional TBP posting) but yea, these days this is my primary hangout. As a RuneQuest GM I do follow the BRP RQ and Glorantha forums and occasionally post, but most is just reading and ignoring. I do a lot of reading of Facebook groups but rarely post in them.

I do participate in play by posts on a couple forums which is the bulk of my forum posting that isn't here.

I figure a lot of people are here because they'd become disillusioned by, or been treated shittily at, RPG.net. That includes myself. But it'd be a shame if this thread just became bitter, "at least we're not the Purple" complaining.

I appreciate this place for its insightful RPG discussions, crazygonuts gonzo atmosphere, and humorous memes.

I was not treated poorly overall, it’s more a realisation of just how mad that place has become.
I’d be a very poor fit for the other old-school madhouse for it also being mad, so this place seemed like a nuanced register in order to catch up with a few folk. Something is not discussed here, so I shall honour that. But the madness, and That Which Shall Not Be Named, are related.

Really, I am more personally using media like Discord these days.
Or Substack, if and when it comes to writing semi-regular articles.

I'm kind of a semi-lurker, partly because I don't get to game much anymore (no FtF in..10 years plus? Something like that, and I'm currently in a grand total of one PbP forum game) plus I find threads of 200 pages and start dates of 5 years ago to be somewhat intimidating to post in as a noob.

BTW, I quit RPGnet in 2015 after getting a one day ban for saying "most offshore call centres are awful" which made me a super-racist or something. Once you appear on the radar of the Moderati over there your days are numbered. If I ever I think of going back for some PbP games I just go read their Bans forum and remind myself why I shouldnt.
I also quit RPGSite early on when Pundit started treating some PoS new member as the second coming of the messiah just cos they got permabanned from RPGNet for threatening to show up at a meet and make trouble.

Funny enough, one of the only reasons I was reading the Purple Site That Shall Not Be Named (hereafter: PSTSNBN, pronounced Pissed-In-Bin) was the PbP games. And yet, for all their bluster about banning people who bail on their games, I was in not one, not two, but THREE games that the GM just bailed on, and nothing happened. One person just started up a new, different game a week later, like nothing happened.

So now, PSTSNBN is kinda like Facebook...I don't really need it, or use it, but I'm too lazy to go delete my account. :-/

I’m on a few discord servers but very occasionally. It doesn’t have the same “feel” as a forum.

And like any other place, once you find a major personality incompatibility with an admin, it’s over.

I recently quit a great discord group because of that. Couldn’t stand one of the admins: they made it so toxic and defensive I bailed.

Then again, that’s my problem. I’ve taken a few months off from here occasionally too, but once I put a few “incompatibles” on my ignore list, it’s a fine experience.

Don't hear much about Enworld these days... what kind of community have they got going there?
It's ok. As A Fiery Flying Roll Black Leaf mentioned it has a lot of 5E and D&D related posting going on. I value it more for a small group of folks who are useful in terms of general game theory and discussion and (a subset of the same posters) who post thoughtfully and insightfully about games like Torchbearer (among others).

I'm just so glad all of are apparently able to read/understand my posts after autocorrect has mangled key words.
Your mangled or disappeared words are usually small enough to get what you're saying. Sometimes though you type something that truly makes no sense and I wonder if you've either been hitting the sauce too hard or had a stroke mid typing.
Ah the devilry of autocorrect!

Well, Bunch Bunch at least it wasn't as bad as this.

autocorrect-strikes-again-hows-life-baby-gorilla-baby-girl-haha-1677661.png

Your mangled or disappeared words are usually small enough to get what you're saying. Sometimes though you type something that truly makes no sense and I wonder if you've either been hitting the sauce too hard or had a stroke mid typing.
Ah the devilry of autocorrect!
Look I promise if you were in my head it would be obvious and make sense. But there's a whole lot of backstory left out.

I appreciate this place specifically because of the general sense of humour that pervades the mass majority of threads. Sure, there are threads that get contentious sometimes, but overall the majority of posters here are usually ready to joke around instead of doubling down on an argument.

And there are some posters, like Fenris-77 Fenris-77 who manage to make me chuckle almost every day.

I stopped visiting a lot of other sites because I found myself getting annoyed more often than I was amused, or interested, or informed. But here, I often find myself reading with a smile on my face.

The world needs more places like that.

I'm new here and I appreciate the fact that people actually talk about games instead of whatever political bullshit is flaming the internet at the moment, the humour is also sufficiently raunchy and immature to appeal to me which is quite a feat I assure you, loving the pub so far.

I'm new here and I appreciate the fact that people actually talk about games instead of whatever political bullshit is flaming the internet at the moment, the humour is also sufficiently raunchy and immature to appeal to me which is quite a feat I assure you, loving the pub so far.
The Pub loves you back. Harder and deeper.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back