I appreciate this place

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Lol, just came by to post almost the exact same sentiment after a half hour on Facebook. It's really nice to have a respite from the stress of constant political bickering, especially this week.

I stopped by another RPG forum yesterday and was greeted by a string of expletives stickied to the top of the page, sighed, and immediately closed the tab.

Despite being only a little over a year old, The Pub feels like Home now.

I've seen it mentioned a few times now and being kinda old, WTF is Discord?

Sadly it's not limited to just one rpg forum.
And not just rpg forums ... I'm finding that I visit my regular sites less and less, and even then, usually with an attitude of "let's see what horror show we have here this time ... "
I also recently unfriended sixty people from Facebook. That was quite satisfying ... :smile:

I try and maintain my facebook friends list to around 100 people. less if I can.

I've seen it mentioned a few times now and being kinda old, WTF is Discord?

Discord is a combination of chat rooms (like IRC), audio conferencing (like Skype, Mumble, TeamSpeak, or Ventrilo), and even video calls now, (like FaceTime or Skype). It's available on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. It's completely free, although there is an optional $5 per month subscription that lets you use animated emoji, up your video resolution to 720p 60fps, and a couple of other very minor things.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Discord because its privacy policy sucks and it makes you wonder where they're going to get the money for funding it once the venture capital dries up. I very much doubt they're getting enough people to pay $5 per month for animated emoji to sustain the servers and support. However, since it launched in 2015, just about every PC and mobile video gamer has switched to it making it inescapable if you play multiplayer video games.

And not just rpg forums ... I'm finding that I visit my regular sites less and less, and even then, usually with an attitude of "let's see what horror show we have here this time ... "
I also recently unfriended sixty people from Facebook. That was quite satisfying ... :smile:
If I unfriended 60 people on facebook I'd have negative friends.

If I unfriended 60 people on facebook I'd have negative friends.
I just hide them. Most are nice enough folks but surrounded by their own reinforcing bubble they just say things you have a hard time believing they would say to a stranger. Except the old folks. They just say shit to anyone who will not actively run away. I go to thrift stores a lot. Old people will pull you aside and spew whatever is on their mind at you. It's a little bit like hanging out with toddlers. No filter.

I try and maintain my facebook friends list to around 100 people. less if I can.
I did a major cull on FB and reduced my Friends list down to 40, with a view not to let it creep up past 45.

Now I just check the notifications to see if I need to respond or not. Plus I took FB off my phone and I am back to checking it on the PC like we did when it first came out, which is usually only once or twice a week. Its great not having social media as an ongoing presence.

Life feels so much less cluttered now.

If it wasnt for the cousins overseas, I would probably ditch FB altogether

Last edited:
I deactivated my Facebook account last year as I was just fed up with the constant, never-ending negative political posts and comments showing up on my Facebook feed. I permanently deleted the account a couple of months ago. I miss some of my friends and family that are on Facebook and live out of state (including my sister, her husband, and my two nephews), but they have my e-mail addresses and telephone number if they want to get in contact with me. I've tried to get them to join Telegram or Wire, but that's been a no go with one exception.

I stopped by another RPG forum yesterday and was greeted by a string of expletives stickied to the top of the page, sighed, and immediately closed the tab.
Yep. I get what they're doing, I really do, but... maybe not every discussion belongs on every site.

And that's fine, we don't have to go there. The atmosphere here is nicer, or at least we all think so (Maybe some people might disagree, I don't know), we just have to keep working to keep it that way as we grow.

I appreciate this place because of all the cool gals and guys that I can chat with about a wide variety of topics. Also, I really enjoy that folks here fans can debate topics with devolving into mudslinging. It speaks to the character of the members here.

Except the old folks. They just say shit to anyone who will not actively run away. I go to thrift stores a lot. Old people will pull you aside and spew whatever is on their mind at you.
Heh...try taking the statement of a 91-year-old woman who ploughed into a car she never saw while driving on the wrong side of the street...I know every medication she's on, which children she will disinherit, why her neighbors are no good...:hmmm:

You and me both. I book no faces, I tweet no twits, I gram no instas, I chat no snaps. Just not into antisocial media.
Amen! They can keep it. I use email because I have to, and Hangouts because it's often the only way to get a hold of my players, and the group I play in uses it exclusively as a means of communication.

Facebook has some uses, but not as a social platform.

The private groups are great places for selling/trading, finding specialized sellers/producers of independent content, and getting up to date and insider info on various industries.

I'e yet to find a use for twitter or instagram or the like, however.

I just hide them. Most are nice enough folks but surrounded by their own reinforcing bubble they just say things you have a hard time believing they would say to a stranger. Except the old folks. They just say shit to anyone who will not actively run away. I go to thrift stores a lot. Old people will pull you aside and spew whatever is on their mind at you. It's a little bit like hanging out with toddlers. No filter.

Oh yeah? Well, when I was young, we knew how to treat our elders! Children these days have no respect! And we don't get proper summers any more, not like when I was young. In my day we were REAL roleplayers, and we walked 20 miles uphill to the dungeon both ways and we LIKED it! I've had gas like crazy the last few days, I think I need more fiber in my diet. My hip feels better but my shoulder is still sore...

I appreciate this place because of all the cool gals and guys that I can chat with about a wide variety of topics. Also, I really enjoy that folks here fans can debate topics with devolving into mudslinging. It speaks to the character of the members here.

Interestingly, some people who seem like real buttnuggets elsewhere seem quite agreeable here.

Yeah but I’m considering doing an upgrade Dan. I’ve been looking into Discord and integrating it with this forum. I’ll keep you in the loop.
Discord is a great way to go. You can run games on it. Bots for dice rollers and such already exist.

Well, environment does play a factor in how people conduct themselves.

Apparently so. It's almost enough to give me some hope for the world, I tell you. Apparently the reason why everyone's a jerk on the Internet isn't that everyone is secretly a jerk and only the fear of getting punched in the face if you show it in real life makes them hide it; it is that everyone else is a jerk on the Internet.

That means that if we want a nicer and more amiable world, we're not faced with the task of changing fundamental human nature, but only the task of getting every single person to start behaving themselves all at once. :tongue: I mean, it's still demoralisingly impossible, but at least it could theoretically be done!

Apparently so. It's almost enough to give me some hope for the world, I tell you. Apparently the reason why everyone's a jerk on the Internet isn't that everyone is secretly a jerk and only the fear of getting punched in the face if you show it in real life makes them hide it; it is that everyone else is a jerk on the Internet.

That means that if we want a nicer and more amiable world, we're not faced with the task of changing fundamental human nature, but only the task of getting every single person to start behaving themselves all at once. :tongue: I mean, it's still demoralisingly impossible, but at least it could theoretically be done!
Sometimes people want a good row. There are places for that. A couple from other forums can come across as hostile there but agreeable here for sure.
We also arent talking emotionally cgarged politics here and are trying to build this site in a different way... It seems.

Interestingly, some people who seem like real buttnuggets elsewhere seem quite agreeable here.

You know, it may be the same phenomenon that I've experienced at #rpgnet (my chatroom). People just seem to be nicer when you put firm, broad rules for them to follow up-front rather than trying to micro-manage behavior as it happens.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back