I just bought Mythras

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
All you do is call it Heroic Arcana, and then split it accordingly-

* Gifts: Clerics / Paladins
* Training: Martial artists, Barbarians etc. For these you could also use some stuff from Gurps Martial Arts, or Heroes Unlimited. Essentially they are low level powers. These could be magical, or from some other source.

Then anyone part of a cult or organisation, may also be able to learn folk magic, mystic or even sorcery etc. That is how i would do it to be honest. YMMV I spose
nod, this seems very much subsumed into Mythras Gifts.

Your iron fist example, as pointed out, probably will be quite doable in Destined. The whole thing was built with that level of superhero in mind.

I have a love hate relationship with the combat maneuvers. Great concept that on its face I really liked once I got past the feeling that it was backwards (most games you say what you want to do and then roll, in Mythras you see how well you rolled and then say what you did).

The hate part is mostly just decades of hardwiring that "crit" just means extra damage or extra good effect but pretty narrow in scope. In Mythras after a good roll I always feel like oh crap now I have to pick something which is a weird reaction. With time I imagine I'll get to a point where I've already basically got my desired result picked out before the roll, but until then I just deal with that odd feeling of dread that comes with a good roll. All in my head.

I definitely need to have a look at those cards.

The other issue I've got with it, comes from decades of playing BRP games. I'm very familiar with the basic system, but occasionally struggle keeping the minor variations between the different games straight.

they've talked about it on the mythras matters podcast at least once. It's... in editing? i forget. but anyhow, extension of what we saw in agony and ecstasy. You can do a surprising number of heroes with Agony and Ecstasy/latest Imperative.

I don't know what those things are honestly, I have RQ6, Luthor Arkwright, and Mythic Britain, and Mythras in pdf, but haven't been following the releases at all.

they've talked about it on the mythras matters podcast at least once. It's... in editing? i forget. but anyhow, extension of what we saw in agony and ecstasy. You can do a surprising number of heroes with Agony and Ecstasy/latest Imperative.

A few final editorial changes to make, but it's into art direction now, and will shortly be into layout. It should be out this year.

You can't make me buy Mythras, no matter how many of you on this site are assimilated to its Rune Cult. No way!

White Hack, on the other hand, is standing over there enticingly ...

Go on.

You know you want to.

Go on.

The PDF is on sale. Dirt cheap.

Go on.

You know you need it.

Have the White Hack too. As a reward.

Go on.

That's right... go on...

You can't make me buy Mythras, no matter how many of you on this site are assimilated to its Rune Cult. No way!

White Hack, on the other hand, is standing over there enticingly ...
I do enjoy a tasty burger . . .
a5f27ce644de431290cc2a8fac5e54cb.jpg

But when I want to eat a five course meal at a Michelin rated restaurant, Five Guys just won't do.

I have a love hate relationship with the combat maneuvers. Great concept that on its face I really liked once I got past the feeling that it was backwards (most games you say what you want to do and then roll, in Mythras you see how well you rolled and then say what you did).

The hate part is mostly just decades of hardwiring that "crit" just means extra damage or extra good effect but pretty narrow in scope. In Mythras after a good roll I always feel like oh crap now I have to pick something which is a weird reaction. With time I imagine I'll get to a point where I've already basically got my desired result picked out before the roll, but until then I just deal with that odd feeling of dread that comes with a good roll. All in my head.
It can feel weird at first, but I really like it. In most RPGs, you can have the issue where all special maneuvers have a penalty. That dissuades players from ever actually using them. When special maneuvers are a form of crit, they are guaranteed to get used. I don't find it unrealistic either. Real fights are often about exploiting openings. As special effects become available when you roll particularly well or your opponent rolls badly, it fits that pattern of a moment to exploit.

The other issue I've got with it, comes from decades of playing BRP games. I'm very familiar with the basic system, but occasionally struggle keeping the minor variations between the different games straight.
Small differences really are the hardest.
I don't know what those things are honestly, I have RQ6, Luthor Arkwright, and Mythic Britain, and Mythras in pdf, but haven't been following the releases at all.
Agony and Ecstasy is an adventure that gives a preview of the (hopefully) forthcoming superhero rules.

It can feel weird at first, but I really like it. In most RPGs, you can have the issue where all special maneuvers have a penalty. That dissuades players from ever actually using them. When special maneuvers are a form of crit, they are guaranteed to get used. I don't find it unrealistic either. Real fights are often about exploiting openings. As special effects become available when you roll particularly well or your opponent rolls badly, it fits that pattern of a moment to exploit.

Small differences really are the hardest.

Agony and Ecstasy is an adventure that gives a preview of the (hopefully) forthcoming superhero rules.
Excellent, realized I didn't have it so I went and snagged it and two other titles that were on my get list, Fioracitta and Monster Island Companion.

Edit: Thanks @ Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl

We have some literature that you can have for free. It’s called Mythras Imperative, and it is but a step on your journey to gaming enlightenment. When you’re ready for the next step, there’s no need to contact us; we’ll contact you.

Last edited:

Yep, I think it is a great idea for the reasons you mention, it is just hard to change your thinking when you are used to something different.

Yep, I think it is a great idea for the reasons you mention, it is just hard to change your thinking when you are used to something different.

I recently switched my 5E D&D game to Mythras (by way of Classic Fantasy). At first they were, like, "Ok. Let's give it a try." Once they learned how special effects worked they were all in for reals. The first few sessions they were trying out the different effects to see how they worked. Now each of the PCs has a small set of their favorite effects.

I recently switched my 5E D&D game to Mythras (by way of Classic Fantasy). At first they were, like, "Ok. Let's give it a try." Once they learned how special effects worked they were all in for reals. The first few sessions they were trying out the different effects to see how they worked. Now each of the PCs has a small set of their favorite effects.

It is the Way.

trip is my go to if I roll well. No damage required, very bad position, hard to recover from, nice setup for others. Press advantage on offense if I roll poorly, or overextend on defense. Keep them from pushing damage. Impale is popular at my table, but the brawn roll intimidates them occasionally.

trip is my go to if I roll well. No damage required, very bad position, hard to recover from, nice setup for others. Press advantage on offense if I roll poorly, or overextend on defense. Keep them from pushing damage. Impale is popular at my table, but the brawn roll intimidates them occasionally.

The party Barbarian's signature move is to use Sunder to destroy his opponent's weapons (and shield) with his maul. He leverages that to Compel Surrender because he wants there to be survivors to spread word of his badassery.

Yep, agreed on Lyonesse's layout being about perfect. I should go stroll through Ebay and see what's available RQ6 wise. :smile:

For anyone interested, I have both a softcover and hardcover of RuneQuest 6 I’m willing to sell for quite a bit less than the eBay prices. I am in the eastern United States.

That would put me down to 1 copy of RQ6 (slipcase edition), 4 copies of Mythras, and 3 copies of Classic Fantasy :smile:. Table copies are great to have to get people to try your favorite system at no cost to them!

Last edited:
It is the Way.
Yep. A d100 skill based system is pretty ubiquitous, but it’s the Combat and Magic that just blows people’s minds. A friend of mine always played Druids/Shamans - Animism to him is Nirvana, especially the Mythras version.

I was literally just looking at these on DTRPG and wondering if they were a good investment. I've had a lot of success using cards as cheat sheets and props for other systems.
Here are mine, if you want to see what they look like.
ACtC-3cdzAzx_VfGvcNU-_HULFK5gRmSHAu8eeEgmFKNs-AvEb_6RJx-G125dBTKbrzsCZqZxE-zVh-QOqwLhJzqsTLIdrjfuqQtsiBK9ZGpeUn_5JE3mazIw-6JtJFjPud7O_WW6ueG_Ca_lnxEXhPViXuMiw=w1743-h1308-no

And the flip sides of the maneuver cards give you the rules.
ACtC-3ftLvv7hRkh94K0QBJiNZ772v0lVhmnNnjUjjwBDVPV-c_JMc3uXU7FSDB_f07qPCyd7obVCV1ChgyrX4gimU-AGg0C18_40YNWs88ws7M_FR-4FljfOlH5IOKrxD5zoORDnTI6nioHDjOvjF3vYmf_sg=w1743-h1308-no

Those are pretty cool. I remember seeing the “Scar Foe” maneuver in The Mask of Zorro when Zorro carves a Z in Montero’s neck so that he’s forced to wear an ascot.

Here are mine, if you want to see what they look like.
ACtC-3cdzAzx_VfGvcNU-_HULFK5gRmSHAu8eeEgmFKNs-AvEb_6RJx-G125dBTKbrzsCZqZxE-zVh-QOqwLhJzqsTLIdrjfuqQtsiBK9ZGpeUn_5JE3mazIw-6JtJFjPud7O_WW6ueG_Ca_lnxEXhPViXuMiw=w1743-h1308-no

And the flip sides of the maneuver cards give you the rules.
ACtC-3ftLvv7hRkh94K0QBJiNZ772v0lVhmnNnjUjjwBDVPV-c_JMc3uXU7FSDB_f07qPCyd7obVCV1ChgyrX4gimU-AGg0C18_40YNWs88ws7M_FR-4FljfOlH5IOKrxD5zoORDnTI6nioHDjOvjF3vYmf_sg=w1743-h1308-no
Wow those are a lot nicer than I expected. Thanks for the visual, I will be ordering some. Can anyone advise on the ideal amount of card sets for for 3-4 players?

You can read this samurai duel with Mythras to get a brief picture of how the combat rules play out: :thumbsup:

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2020/12/samurai-duel-combat-example-with-mythras.html
Nice. I read this post and followed along with the video. This example helped me grok and appreciate the combat system, thanks for the link.

My wife and I frequently disagree about their fries. She loves them and I find them lacking. I prefer thick steak style fries when I have fries. I am a fan of their burgers though.
You are objectively right (even though I'd have regular ones when I can't get those):devil:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back