I might be done with epic tv-shows

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

raniE

Big Bearded Guy
Reaction score
As the title says, I think I might be done with epic tv-shows. You know, the kind that has fantastic production values, gets movie caliber actors, has an enormous plot that takes an entire season, or more likely several seasons, to deliver. The awesome spectacle that back in the 90s and early 00s I could only dream of.

Back then I remember often being disappointed with the episodic nature of tv-shows. Stuff like Star Trek Voyager or The X-Files, or even older fare like MacGyver or The Incredible Hulk were often good, but since they never really resolved anything and almost always just reset back to the status quo there always felt like something was missing. Then came stuff like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which stayed episodic but also had a larger overarching plot in there, one that was actually real and not just hinted at like in X-Files. This stuff I loved. And then came the era of prestige TV. The Sopranos. Battlestar Galactica. True Detective. Game of Thrones. Westworld. Stranger Things. And at first, I loved it. It was like watching a movie, but for hours and hours. Old 3 hour Hollywood epics had nothing on this.

But. The longer this has gone on, the more I've noticed It isn't everything I wanted it to be. These shows often start great. But despite the budgets, the actors, the initial premise and the clear desire to move away from being that old kind of tv-show, it seems like it is often impossible to escape the tv-format. Even for something that was never actually on tv, like Stranger Things. Plots start tight, and characters multi-faceted, complex and interesting. But as the series moves along, the plots become looser, the characters devolve more and more into caricatures of themselves and the show seems to lose its raison d'etre.

The pacing is also so often off the wall slow. I recently watched the first season of a slightly older show, Jeremiah, from the early 00s (based on the old Jeremiah comic). In the first two-parter episode the show managed to introduce the audience to the main characters, introduce the post-apocalyptic setting and the story behind it, introduce a villain, have the heroes captured by the villain, have the heroes escape, then go off to find a different place, find it, meet new characters, discover they are isolationists and then break their isolationist streak and agree to work for them. And I realized, in a modern prestige tv show, that would have been the entire first season. Maybe more than that actually. We would have had reams of dialog before the two leads even met, the villain would have been painstakingly introduced to us, loads of character moments would have been had, and nothing would have actually happened for the first three episodes. So seeing all this play out over the course of a single two-parter was fantastic and very refreshing. It felt like a natural pace for a show, rather than something that wants me to binge an entire season worth of content in one sitting and then wait for the next season to show up.

Even when there's something to adapt it seems it doesn't work out that well. I loved Game of Thrones, but the show that ended in 2019 was nowhere near the show that began in 2011. This probably wasn't helped by running out of material halfway, but even if someone made a Lord of the Rings tv-show now I can't escape thinking that in the final seasons it would be almost unrecognizable from the book (the early parts should work very well however as it moves about as slowly as a typical modern tv-show).

I'll still watch the rest of Stranger Things, but I'm totally uninterested in all the new prestige shows I'm hearing about.

Has anyone else had this same experience? Or do you think I'm way off base?

I'm the opposite. I have way too much to watch. Especially with all the cool foreign shows Netflix has picked up. I can't keep up. I also don't really look at tv shows as epic. Even when it involves saving the world. I just don't feel tv shows have the budget to do it the way a big screen movie can. Nothing in Buffy was as awesome to me as that final battle in Avengers: Endgame. I just don't feel tv really captures epic at all. Its still entertaining as hell, but I don't get the same feeling watching tv shows that have world saving involved compared to movies that do.

Buffy wasn't really ever epic though. It was a fun show, possibly my favorite tv-show of all time, but not the kind of show I was referring to. I don't mean epic as in saving the world, I mean more like how the term is used in Hollywood epics. Now Game of Thrones? Yeah, I think many of the battle scenes in there compare favorably to any fantasy or historical film.

Interesting side note about Avengers Endgame, I think it, Infinity War and possibly Thor Ragnarok finally burned me out in superhero films. I just don't feel the hype anymore. And I think it is for similar reasons to why I'm burning out on prestige tv-shows.

I don't watch Game of Thrones. Given comments about later seasons, I don't feel I missed out on anything. '

I also don't get how people can get burned out on superhero movies. There aren't all that many that come out in a year. I watch way more movies in other genres than I do superhero ones. Sometimes in the span of a week or two.

Plots start tight, and characters multi-faceted, complex and interesting. But as the series moves along, the plots become looser, the characters devolve more and more into caricatures of themselves and the show seems to lose its raison d'etre.
I believe you are referring to Flanderization, a phenomenon that is endemic to television.

I believe you are referring to Flanderization, a phenomenon that is endemic to television.
Yep, but often one hopes that it will not show up in these huge big budget prestige shows with their long-running plots. They're not supposed to be like their episodic little siblings. And yet, it almost always happens.

Last edited:
I don't watch Game of Thrones. Given comments about later seasons, I don't feel I missed out on anything. '

I also don't get how people can get burned out on superhero movies. There aren't all that many that come out in a year. I watch way more movies in other genres than I do superhero ones. Sometimes in the span of a week or two.
If you like fantasy battles, I feel you missed out. If you don't then maybe not.

As for superhero films, maybe it's mainly the Marvel Cinematic Universe I'm burned out on. I never really liked the later DC films anyway, and there's not been too many non DC/Marvel films recently.

If you like fantasy battles, I feel you missed out. If you don't then maybe not.

I haven't been into watching much fantasy after the Hobbit movies. Well at least not western style fantasy.

As for superhero films, maybe it's mainly the Marvel Cinematic Universe I'm burned out on. I never really liked the later DC films anyway, and there's not been too many non DC/Marvel films recently.

Even counting just Marvel, there's only 3 - 4 movies a year tops. I watch at least 3 - 4 movies of various genres a week (usually rotate between Action, Horror and Martial Arts). Add in tv shows (I binged all 4 main CW Arrowverse shows in less than 2 weeks). That's why I don't get how people can burn out on so few movies of that type in a year. There is plenty to watch in between of different genres. Maybe it's me, but I don't see how people can burn out on so few of them in a year (and even counting the whole time the MCU films have been around, it's still only 20 something movies. I watch at least twice as many or more in a year easily)

I like epic tv shows, but the DC ones seem to have a couple of good seasons and then either go weird/jump the shark or run out of steam.

Gotham S1-2 were amazing. S3 was just silly. Haven't seen the rest; I hear he becomes Batman.
Arrow is pretty much the same and I got bored half way thorugh S3.
Flash is just too shmaltzy (how well adjusted is Barry's dad for someone innocently incarcerated for the murder of his wife?!)

GoT just...was boring. It felt like it wanted to be character driven and philosophical, but the HBO people knew that tits and gore would get them ratings. Then they just lost the plot, literally.

I like the narrative aspect that shows have these days. Star Trek Discovery did a good job of having an episodic approach within a larger narrative frame, but unfortunately was utterly nonsensical. But I'm glad Trek still exists. Buffy did this very well. It makes for good pacing and the use of tension and release in the overall viewing experience. IUt's kinda difficult going back to regular Trek now because it lacks that narrative. I couldn't get into TNG recently, and I think I'm done with that show. DS9 on the other hand was always strong; interesting premise, decent arc, and good characters. VOY gets a pass because I like the romance of it.

Dunno if any of that constitutes as epic.

I haven't been into watching much fantasy after the Hobbit movies. Well at least not western style fantasy.

Did you burn out on them? Far fewer of those around than superhero films you know, and there are only six Lord of the Rings movies in total (now, to be sure, there is only one good Lord of the Rings film, but still).

I like epic tv shows, but the DC ones seem to have a couple of good seasons and then either go weird/jump the shark or run out of steam.

Gotham S1-2 were amazing. S3 was just silly. Haven't seen the rest; I hear he becomes Batman.
Arrow is pretty much the same and I got bored half way thorugh S3.
Flash is just too shmaltzy (how well adjusted is Barry's dad for someone innocently incarcerated for the murder of his wife?!)

GoT just...was boring. It felt like it wanted to be character driven and philosophical, but the HBO people knew that tits and gore would get them ratings. Then they just lost the plot, literally.

I like the narrative aspect that shows have these days. Star Trek Discovery did a good job of having an episodic approach within a larger narrative frame, but unfortunately was utterly nonsensical. But I'm glad Trek still exists. Buffy did this very well. It makes for good pacing and the use of tension and release in the overall viewing experience. IUt's kinda difficult going back to regular Trek now because it lacks that narrative. I couldn't get into TNG recently, and I think I'm done with that show. DS9 on the other hand was always strong; interesting premise, decent arc, and good characters. VOY gets a pass because I like the romance of it.

Dunno if any of that constitutes as epic.

I don't think any of those (except for Game of Thrones) really constitute the same type of show I'm talking about, although I haven't seen Gotham. They're all part of a trend toward less episodic formats, and have taken that further than Buffy did, for the most part. This is part of what made me give up on them. But they're not really on the same level as say True Detective or Stranger Things.

Last edited:
Did you burn out on them? Far fewer of those around than superhero films you know, and there are only six Lord of the Rings movies in total (now, to be sure, there is only one good Lord of the Rings film, but still).

I don't burn out on stuff. I'm just not a big fan of Western style fantasy' I'm more into Sword & Sorcery, so if there were a series of Elric or Kane movies, I'd be all over those. Conan and Kull, if done well (so far, I don't think they have been). I'd love for someone to adapt Imaro for either film or tv. I also like Asian fantasy (Warriors of Zu, Journey to the West, etc). I have considered checking out the Mythica films, as they're on various streaming services for free, and Tommy Brownell Tommy Brownell has mentioned them on his blog before (iirc).

There's more fantasy films out besides LotR though. There's Mythica (which is 5 or 6 films), the D&D movies (which are total trash), and I know there are others other there (I count movies, whether released in theaters or not. A movie is still a movie). I think the low budget Midnight (based on the D&D setting) wasn't bad. Easily as many, if not more than the MCU. I've seen one or two Russian fantasy films a few years back that were decent (though I can't recall the names).

I did see all the LotR movies. The original trilogy wasn't bad (and I only got halfway through the novels when I tried to read them). The Hobbit didn't need to be three movies (adding in all that stuff not in the original novel was pointless milking Tolkien's work imho), but the final Battle of the Five armies was cool.

To me The Wire and Deadwood remain the peaks of TV drama. The Shield, Rectify and perhaps Fargo (depending on the season) are also up there.

In a totally different style are Hannibal and Twin Peaks The Return. Legion is also a pretty amazing show.

Few shows are going to achieve that level of greatness though. I think there is a general tendency to over-rate TV dramas and their quality these days, a recent Harper’s article on TV critics is a helpful corrective to this inflation.

Sites like AV Club are the worse for this issue, parsing most TV shows episode by episode as if it was Tolstoy is simply absurd.

‘Critiquing’ a show about zombies (TWD) or witches and the AntiChrist fighting in a nuclear wasteland (American Horror Story: Apocalypse) and finding it wanting in terms of characterization and sophistication compared to the like of The Wire is the height of silliness but you see it all the time.

Equally, treating the fun teen melodrama and action of a show like 100 as if it is ‘complex’ or ‘brilliant’ should be embarrassing for any adult, let alone a supposed ‘critic.’

I don't watch television shows rated TV-MA, and that's about 99.9% of all the "prestige" television shows the past fifteen years or so, so I can't comment about the quality (or lack thereof) of prestige television shows.

As for epic battles, what could possibly be more epic than this?

While binge-watching Stranger Things I might be feeling a bit like the OP... but then I realize I'd be up for a new season of Bosch or Mindhunter... so I think I'm just burned-out on mainstream super-fantasy... or whatever. Stuff that's loaded with fan-service and crowdpleasing moments, where you can see the puppet strings the writers are pulling.

I don't really get burned out, though there are times that certain shows don't match my mood. Like I haven't watched Stranger Things s3 yet, just because I'm not in the mood for the 80s nostalgia trip that is the core of the show.

But honestly prestige television is still some of the best stuff out there, but I agree on how often they lose the thing that made them special the longer they go on.

Seriously though, try watching Dark on Netflix. It is the tightest plotted show I've ever seen. It starts a bit slow but it picks up after the setup episodes. It was always planned as 3 seasons, it just released its second recently, and it is 100% obvious that they are have everything meticulously planned.

I like epic shows.

Maybe not when they go on season after season, but shows like Rome, Westworld, and Black Sails that have a narrative to tell and when they are done they shut it down. They are able to do so much more with character development than a 2 hour movie. Like with Rome? Titus Pullo and Vorenus? I loved those guys.

These days I tend to avoid those types of shows when they are airing and then binge watch them when the shows are done. I keep up with how the shows are going in general, which usually gives me a pretty good idea of whether I want to put the time into them after the fact. If all but the last season is good, binge watching helps to reduce the frustration with a bad ending. It isn't an attention issue for me. It is more along the lines of seeing too many series go off the rails at some point.

Your average Amerian Television Drama is just too damn long. They all seem intended to run for 5-7 years. That's just too long for an ongoing story.

It's very rare for a series to be able to sustain quality and even story over that long a period of time. Things like the Wire are rare. Most just seem to drag, and it becomes increasingly obvious.

2 of my favourite shows of recent years have been British, "The Night Manager" and "The Bodyguard". I think the British approach of making six episode series is probably about ideal for most stories. It's probably about the right length to adapt a novel. I certainly have no patience anymore for a 10 episode plus series that can't even reach some kind of a conclusion at the end of a season - that's just ridiculous.

I don't watch television shows rated TV-MA, and that's about 99.9% of all the "prestige" television shows the past fifteen years or so, so I can't comment about the quality (or lack thereof) of prestige television shows.

As for epic battles, what could possibly be more epic than this?

That fight was LOL hilarious.

I like epic shows.

Maybe not when they go on season after season, but shows like Rome, Westworld, and Black Sails that have a narrative to tell and when they are done they shut it down. They are able to do so much more with character development than a 2 hour movie. Like with Rome? Titus Pullo and Vorenus? I loved those guys.
View attachment 11006

Rome was incredible. Rome and Deadwood never would have been shut down in these days, but they were before the phenomena of Epic TV as we’re referring to it.

Part of the problem with Epic TV is that it’s trying to be Epic TV, studios are trying to create the next GoT. As a result, they switch showrunners from season to season like a sports team with bad manager that fires coaches every year because they didn’t take a last place team to champion in a single season.

Corporations trying to find a winning formula for a creative process are going to produce luke-warm vanilla gruel...like we see in our hobby. :devil:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back