I need some help finding FoW painting resources

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Joseph Wolz

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hi folks, I cannot stand watching videos. I absolutely cannot learn a damn thing that way. I am a weirdo, I know, because I don’t even like watching shows or movies all that much.

My son is a WW2 fanatic and while teaching him about miniature war games he found out about Flames of War. I’d been avoiding it because everything I play is ~28mm…but now ai find myself with a ton of 15mm stuff.

I bought the paint sets, and was hoping for a step-by-step tutorial for painting these particular models. And everything is in video. I googled all sorts of ways and it’s all videos. I can’t stand it. I’ve learned nothing but how much contempt I have for how lazily videos are made and how utterly weird I am for being unable to retain a damn bit of info from them.

Can anyone help me track down a pdf of a magazine article that can help? Or an old school website that can do the same? It drives me crazy trying to find info without being able to watch a video…

Please help.

Hah. I could give you step by step instructions, but I don't have any good resources to link to. What kind of techniques and whatnot are you comfy with at 28mm?

There's a decent SbS 15mm guide on the Essex Miniatures site, but it's not WWII specific.

Hmm, one more, but it's not exactly pic heavy.

I appreciate it, Fenris. Mostly, I’m just looking for what order to put which paints on the mini. I’m comfortable with most techniques at 28mm. I don’t need “painting competition” quality, but I’ve never painted WW2 before.

I appreciate it, Fenris. Mostly, I’m just looking for what order to put which paints on the mini. I’m comfortable with most techniques at 28mm. I don’t need “painting competition” quality, but I’ve never painted WW2 before.
Having painted a fair bit of smaller scale stuff I 'paint' them the same way, mostly, but I make more obvious use of blacklining and contrast than I would on a bigger fig. I also almost always prime the little stuff black, which certain affects my technique.

Having painted a fair bit of smaller scale stuff I 'paint' them the same way, mostly, but I make more obvious use of blacklining and contrast than I would on a bigger fig. I also almost always prime the little stuff black, which certain affects my technique.
I figure I’ll do the same. I have done 15mm in the past. I did some Team Yankee a few years ago, but the book had a great tutorial on it. I’m gonna check if Battlefront has a painting book

Warlord have some nice, basic troop and tank painting guides in PDF, I think. They're for 28mm Bolt Action, but the paints and order of operation should be adaptable...probably easier on the smaller models.

Artizan have guides on their website:

This month's Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine (also available to download) has step-by-step painting guide for German splinter and oak leaf camouflage patterns (traditionally the point where you decide to build a British army instead):

Warlord are generally good too.

A word of warning: many painting guides are for Vallejo Acrylic paints, as they have a great line of historical colours. Although not as bad as GW for naming paints, Vallejo have a nasty habit of changing the paint colour but keeping the name.

Also, Grey Green and Green Grey are entirely different shades...

I thought the older edition of Flames of War had some very good painting guide illustrations in the rule books and army books. Am I misremembering that?

If you'd like a book recommendation, this one is really good, comprehensive, and extensively features 15mm techniques:

how-to-paint-miniatures-for-wargames-english.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back