IC Attack the Darkness! The Geriatric Brigade

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
You return to look at the entrance door and see it's a completely different mechanism. It's a large round Boulder on a slight slope. A slight depression exists at the top of the slope to hold the Boulder in place. Looking at the ground you find a wooden wedge with rope attached. I looks like the rock is rolled on to the wedge before exiting and then the wedge pulled out letting the Boulder roll to seal the entrance.

Kwill searches for traps but finds nothing. 'I don't think the door has any trap. But I'll keep looking around for anything'.

Rhyll says'I think the rods go in the holes so you can slide the doors open. It won't be stealthy but it will get the doors open.'
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:trigger::word: "I am going to iron spike either the wedge or the wedge's rope into place so no one gets any clever ideas of sealing us in." :thumbsup: "Porlan, come help me. Rhyll, keep guard of everyone until we return, in case something opens that door from the inside. Then together we will slide open this door with rods in the holes."

:grin::word: "And after that back to formation and trusting all your scouting stuff."

/goes out to spike the exit door open, farting up a storm. :storm: :wink::thought: (Last chance to get it out before I accidently smother us all!)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan starts coughing while you're spiking the boulder. 'You gotta change your diet. Something died up there." He days before he steps outside for a breath of fresh air and to look around. Returning he says ''Nothing moving out there. Let's get to opening that door! I want to spend as little time in an enclosed space with you as possible.'

At the base of the stairs you find Kwill still listening at the door. She shakes her head and says 'Still don't hear nothing. It's as quiet as a tomb which may be appropriate but still gives me the heebie jeebies.'

Rhyll and most of the Nuggals ready for whatever awaits on the other side of the doors.

You, Porlan and two Nuggals put the rods in the holes and slide the doors open. A loud scraping sound echos through the room on the other side of the doors. After the doors are opened your torchlight spills into the room. You see several pillars scattered about holding up the roof roughly twice as tall as a man. The air is damp and still. The floor is stone inset into the earth.
Kwill signals for everyone to be silent and they all comply. She and the Nuggals listen and sniff the air. Fido finally breaks the silence whispering area smells of reptiles,men and Nuggals but he's unsure if anyone is still here.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:blah::word: "Stay safe, but let's be quick about this. I don't want our other trail to run cold." :errr: "We're checking for clues, survivors... or remains." :cry:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Kwill checks the area inside the door for traps before entering. She gives the all clear before proceeding into the room. Unfortunately she missed something and the floor falls away beneath her revealing a spiked pit below. Kwill is not the spry girl of her youth and lands hard on the spikes impaling herself through the chest and head, killing her instantly.

Ahead somewhere in the darkness you hear a deep croaking noise which appears to be coming closer.

OOC Kwill had some truly terrible roles both for searching, saves and damage.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:shock::weep:
:gunslinger::thought: (These Snakies shall pay...) :closed: (Sounds?! Quick, no time for tears. She'd want us to succeed. Gotta throw a light to see the coming croaking critter!)
:worried::word: /whisper "Here, light up the hall so we can see what's coming!"
/hands torch forward through the party to throw ahead and see what's coming
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
IMG_20180327_103454-01.png Your party tosses a few torches as far as you can casting dim illumination throughout the chamber. A large sarcophagus sits in the center of the room. Semi regularly spaced pillars hold the ceiling up. In the southwest section of the room a pool of water stands. You can make out a large dark shape moving in the water making an occasional croaking noise. You sense it watching you.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:cry::word: /has Rhyll & Porlan huddle, whispers "Sorry Rhyll, but I gotta ask for your battle sense so soon after... poor Kwill!" :brokenheart: "But can we use enough ranged weapons and pointy spears up front to take this creature out quickly, if we need to?" :worried: "It's the only way I can think we will have enough time to take her body out safely and give her a proper burial."

:worried::word: /whisper "Also, what the fuck is that thing? A big frog? Do you think we can talk with it? What would it want besides eating Kwill's succulent dead flesh?" :sick:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Rhyll shrugs 'Not sure what's out there but frog sounds right. Unless you got a giant fly I think we need to either fight or flee. If it is a frog, watch out for the tongue and dont get too close to it.'

Porlan asks 'You think fire it's afraid of fire?'

Rhyll nods 'Dunno but that's a good idea.'
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:quiet::word: /whisper "OK, time to act. Porlan, don't get close, but start talking to this thing. See if we can bribe it with a ration at the very least. But don't get close!" :crossed:

:quiet::word: /whisper "And Rhyll, organize the Nuggles as best makes sense. If we gotta attack, and someone's swallowed, we fight until we kill it and can free our ally." :sad: "I don't want any more burials, but I I don't wanna leave anyone eaten even more."

:smile::word: /whisper "Meanwhile, I will throw oil flasks where you tell me, Rhyll. And we will fight when you say the word, or get swallowed, Porlan. Do your best negotiating!" :thumbsup:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan puts some salted meat on the end of a spear attempting to use food to gain favor with whatever it is. Rhyll talks with the Nuggals who line up three in front with spears out and three in back preparing to throw if things get hostile. Rhyll then moves over to aid Porlan should it come to violence.
The two groups advance slowly towards the pool from opposite sides. Porlan whispers melodically 'Here froggy froggy' waiving the spear gently back and forth. As you close the light reveals an enormous toad looking hungrily at Porlan.
At this point the Nuggals release a volley of spears, two of which fond a home in the frog. The frog dies almost immediately. But the death of the frog is not the end of the excitement. The Nuggals inform you the frogs secret a poison and should be avoided.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:crossed::word: "...Sorry, Porlan. I guess it was just a big scary frog that can't speak."

/to the Nuggals
:thumbsup::word: "Good initiative, guys! Never dealt with one o' them before. Didn't know the best way to deal with them is stab it till its dead." :goof: "I think you might've saved Porlan's life." :trigger: "Now what do we gotta do besides keep away from its deadly skin? When can we investigate that weird flooded area?"

/walks by the sarcophagus and mutters a prayer for the dead, then faces the party
:grin::word: "Also, are there any more passages? Any more threats?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan shrugs and says 'Sounded like a good idea to me. Glad those Nuggals recognized what it was. Now let's get to seeing what all this fuss is about.'

The Nuggals poke the frog a few more times to make sues it's dead before retreating from the pool. The sniff and scout about the rest of the room but are clearly still apprehensive about going near the frog or it's pool. Fido tells you the skin remains poisonous for a long time after death.

Examining the room reveals a large sarcophagus on which it appears sacrifices have been made. Coagulated blood stains the top and drips down into scratched symbols in the group surrounding the sarcophagus. Fido say it smells like human blood and from no more than two to three days ago. The room is a large oval with no obvious exists besides the one you came in from. From the gouges in the dirt you guess a number of large bulky items have been pushed to the entrance and removed from the tomb.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:fu::word: "Well, fuck this place! It killed Kwill. Probably killed a few more humans on that coffin lid. And there's a poisonous dead frog blocking us from finding out why this place is getting flooded in the corner."

:trigger::word: "And I don't think big frogs just show up from seeping water outta nowhere, growing big living off of nothing." :irritated: "Means them Snakies are doing human sacrifice and dabbling in unholy Vomerine Sorcery... mind controlling big ass poison frogs!"

:thumbsdown::word: "I don't wanna have to come back here. So time to collect clues... Nuggals when you think its safe, we gotta check out that flooded part, even if we gotta drag out that big frog away with a big fishing hook. In the meanwhile, help Rhyll recover Kwill's body, so she can be buried with dignity. And help Porlan check for any hidden passages, signs of our people, and more clues. I'm going to get some burnt charcoal ends from a torch and make rubbings of these strange symbols -- while praying that whatever dead thing at rest here stays at rest."

:evil::word: "And then I'm gonna wash off some of this here dried blood and try to resanctify this sarcophagus. 'Cuz fuck those Snakies! I don't want anything they're doing to succeed." :irritated:

:sad::word: "And then we leave for the homestead. We suffered tragedy here. We gotta prepare our dead, check up on and inform our supply line, and make sense of what clues we have before we barrel off into the swamp even further... This day sucks! Snakies suck!" :argh: :storm:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
The Nuggals help Rhyll retrieve Kwill's body.
Porlan gets curious about the frog and very carefully scrapes slime from it into a good he's emptied out. 'Who knows how long this slime is potent for. Could be a real life saver on an arror or wiped on a sword.' he says when he sees you looking over at him curiosly.

The Nuggals eye him curiosly before helping pull the frog aside for better access to the pool. A search of the pool reveals 45 copper, 17 silver and 5 gold coins scattered around.
A frustrated Rhyll guts the frog with his sword spilling the content of it's stomach out onto the floor. A partially digested human male is mixed in with the entrails. With a little work you recognize it as Callum the son of Callet. You remebrem him as a strong kind lad, good to his father and friends.

Porlan searches as you ask while you make rubbings. Porlan finds nothing and returns to help you clean off the sarcophagus. While cleaning Porlan say 'Hey I don't think there guys have opened the sarcophagus. Should we?'

Rhyll meanwhile talks to the Nuggals 'Good work men. The castellan will be pleased to hear we've ended the bandit threat. Let's head to the in and rejoice in a hard won battle!'

Porlan looks over at Rhyll and says to you 'That man's half here and half somewhen else.'
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:quiet: /shakes head at Porlan's suggestion to open the sarcophagus.
:trigger::word: /whisper "Either the Snakies think its important enough to sacrifice blood to it, which means opening it is dangerous. Or it really is a vile heroic villain from our hazy past... and I am not that good of a priest to send any unrested haunting back whence it came.
:smile::word: /whisper "Also, as much as I like money and power, it's kinda not my faith's wheelhouse to mess with the dead in such a way. After enough of a hard life, however we've lived, I believe sometimes we just need final rest."
:gunslinger::word: /whisper "However, if this here's a secret passage to the Snakies' nest, or the cause behind their behavior, then fuck this bag of bones... later."

:trigger::word: /whisper "Porlan, I'll need your help minding Rhyll. I'll play along later as you need to guide his memory. But this time, let's keep it simple. I think the death of Kwill still has the power to shock an old hand like himself."

:grin::word: "Thanks Nuggals, thanks Rhyll, and thanks Porlan. A much needed rest and rejoicing sounds good and necessary. We will celebrate the memories of our fallen bretheren here after an honorable ceremony. Let's take their bodies on back, along with our spoils."

:wink::word: "Nuggals, a word with you all?"
/moves to a more secluded and quiet side.
:blah::word: /whispers "Um... we are at our human age where -- it's hard to learn new tricks." :angel: "We're kind of an old pack trying to rescue a captured younger one, if you catch my drift. We're gonna come with some... 'not-all-there'-ness."
:hmmm::word: "So I need fresh scents, or at least old strong ones to guide us to the next spot!" /eyes Rhyll and Porlan with big smiles. :shade: /then back at the Nuggals, full seriousness. :sad:
:worried::word: /whispers "Honest talk now, I am dependent on your sense of smell. And only you know how much longer it can last for you. I want to go back and bury our dead. But!, one good rain can kill our last clue."
:crossed::word: /whispers "How cold is the trail getting? We're old, but angry now. If you say the scent is going cold, we return back, bury our dead quickly under rocks, pick up our remaining allies and go into the swamp as soon as possible. Lulu can carry some of our old bones for a bit in turns, so we could make good time by nightfall." :blah:
:skeleton::word: /whispers "But we risk death... exposed... in the swamp... during the dark."
:thumbsup::word: "Or we could use this hillside tomb as our new basecamp!"
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
'Re ro ravages of age. Re ro rut rits rike. Re ret body. Scent strong. Runless rain rail easy ro rollow. Ru recide rare to sleep.'. Fido relays, clearly sympathetic to your challenges.

'Ive got Rhyll. Honestly he's been like this just back at the village. Give him a little bit and i'm sure he'll be back to normal.' replies Porlan. He adds 'Somehow I think we should break this altar. I dunno what they're doing here but I want it to fail.'

Something speaks directly to your mind 'Open it'
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:shock::thought: (Who said that?)
/takes slow headpan nervously onto the sarcophagus :crossed:

:errr::word: "Um, alright, so if we're ready, let's head back! I'm gonna try to make sense of these symbol rubbings as we travel, so I'll let you all lead and carry, if you don't mind."
/quick review of the symbols before we leave and reseal this tomb
:closed::thought: (Gotta make sense of this stuff ASAP before we close this place up forever...
Because reconsecrating this place and sealing it back up is the good & correct thing to do for the dead, right?)
/looks longer at the rubbings of the symbols while anxiously listening for more head voices :crossed:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
The others look oddly at you but begin preparing to leave.

In your mind you hear 'Please don't leave me here.'
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:shock: /unconsciously lets out a tweeter fart that dissipates into a rising pitch
:fu::thought: (Fuck this! We're all gonna die to an undead if I listen to this request!)
:argh::thought: (If you were so nice, why didn't you say who you were already, and why you're still hanging around inside a tomb?)
/pauses, realizing I am trying to 'talk inside my own head'... looks around at the rest of the party
:ooh::word: "Po~rla~n?! What sort of stories are attributed to this mound again?" /as I back away slowly
:skeleton::thought: (You're trying to trick me and kill us all! ... Oh my god, I am talking to something messing with my head! Oh no! :sad: We have a difference in power!)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan looks up and says 'Well itsi an old tale. Lemme see if I remember it correctly. This areas always been at the edge between the wilds to the north east and the more civilized lands to the south. Lands just not that great for farming I guess compared to other places. Anyways it's said that back when we're talking about it was pretty much run by the savages. You know orcs and goblins and the like. The various human tribes nearby finally got their act together and got organized by The Blacksmith. His name gets lost due to some smear campaign by a later commander who was jealous. Anyway this Blacksmith rallies the tribes, gets em to stop fighting themselves and pushes the green races back across the river. Legend has it they even built a fort somewhere in these parts to hold the area. Seems like the fort did too good job for a while and the greenies looked for easier Pickens. Some of the later commanders turned out to be incompetent and either lost the fort to attackers or burned the thing down somehow.
But back to this fella assuming he's the Blacksmith. He was supposed to be one oh the honest to gods good guy. He smashed back the greenies with his hammer, built the fort and helped supply the farmers. Died of old age it's said after fathering something like fifty kids. He did so much good the locals built this mound to bury him and serve as a reminder to the people of his great service to the area. " He smiles retelling the tale then adds "You think someone did something horrible to him?"

The voice in your head says "Gods you're a crazy one! My name is Finisher. I can't get out because I'm a damn hammer! If you had the balls of a warrior the tomb would be open and I wouldn't have to resort to telepathy. It's exhausting"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:worried::word: "Oh no, I lost it, guys. I am being made fun of by a hammer -- talking in my head -- from this very tomb. Kwill's death must've affected me more than I thought."
/crumples slowly to the ground in front of the tomb, knowing full well how hard it is to get back up.
:cry::word: "You'll probably have to go on without me before I lead more of you to your death. I'm waiting until the walls start calling me names... A mind-talking hammer? Who'd believe it? :trigger: That's only stuff from legend, like this ancestor guy --"
:shock::thought: :storm:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
"God's why is it you're the best option I've had in a century?!? It's you, Sir Dementia, the dogs or the man with an unhealthy and disturbing interest in sheep! Ah well I can wait another century..." Say the voice in your head exasperated.

Porlan looks over at you confused after your comments. He keeps tending to Rhyll trying to bring his mind back to the here and now. 'What the hell are you going on about?! Get your shit together! I can only have one mental breakdown at a time. ' . He shakes his head.

The Nuggals aren't sure what to make of whatever is going on with Rhyll and you. They're clearly ready to leave but wait for the humans to decide what to do.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:sad::word: "Hey guys, bear with me a second. Let's open this sarcophagus. I feel I should listen to this voice talking inside my head."
:grin::word: "It's amusing with its insults and that'll likely help us on our quest for a laugh or two before we die."
:hmmm::word: "Also it is a practical measure to see whether I've gone crazy and should hand off leadership until I'm better -- or we're really in the presence of Legend. I can reconsecrate the tomb afterwards."
:dice::word: "The hammer calls itself Finisher; let's see if it more than all inside my head..."
/attemps to push open the sarcophagus lid
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan scratches his head and shrugs but comes over the help with the sarcophagus. Rhyll seemng to be back in the here and now comes over. 'The snake men much have chose this place for it's strong connection to magics and the gods. Why shouldn't something not entirely of this realm be present?' Rhyll says in response to your sanity doubting statements and adds jovially 'Better they talk to you than me.'

The three of you attempt shifting and sliding the top. At first it seems unmovable but after a few tries it moves more easily, almost as if another force is helping you. With the lid shifted about a third of the way off you can clearly make out the contents.

A decomposed skeleton of a tall man rests serenely in the coffin. The body is surrounded by dried flowers. Rusted chainmail over decaying leather covers his torso. A worn large round shield covers his legs. Resting right in the center of his chest is what you can only assume is Finisher. The head of the hammer is made of some black stone like material attached to a leather wrapped handle. Runes cover every surface of the head and handle. It is in pristine condition. The head and haft are larger than you'd expect for a single handed hammer.

'Ah finally! Thank you for opening up the tomb!' says the voice in your head. 'Now get me out of here so those damn snakes can't keep using me to spread their filth!'

Porlan and Rhyll look questioningly to you to proceed.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:grin::word: "Huh? Will you look at that! Proof I'm not crazy."
/lunges bodily into the sarcophagus, holding its sides, to get nose close to the hammer called Finisher.
:irritated::word: "Whaddya mean, 'Now get me [outta] here so those damn snakes can't keep using me to spread their filth!'?" :angry: "What-type-filth-did-they-make-you-do that we now gotta put a stop to?"
/grabs hammer Finisher, pulls fully out of the sarcophagus, and turns to the side talking at the hammer Finisher, as in heated conversation.
:argh::word: "How much more work we gotta clean up 'cuz of you?"
[listens to reply, then gradually calms down focused my own thoughts]
/pauses, turns about to the rest of the party looking rather satisfied.
:hmmm::word: "Y'know, it's reassuring to know one's still got it up there." :trigger: "Thanks for bearing with me." :heart: "Let's head on back..."
/tidies up by resealing sarcophagus and resanctifying it.
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Finisher thunders in your head "DO YOU SEE LEGS ON ME?!?" he calms down ever so slightly adding " If the damn fool priests of Jarl Tuvang had listened to his final wishes I would have gone to his son and continued my illustrious military campaign against the subhuman horde. Instead they buried me here with him. "
If a hrump can be transmitted psychically it just was.
"Congratulate yourself! You are in the presence of one of the twelve great weapons forged by the legendary dwarven smith Londot Bonefury. These reptile people have been using some foul ritual to borrow the power from me and this holy site to turn the surrounding lands to swamp. Releasing me has stopped their advances. Well done! We must get away from here before they realize that power is missing."

While you two chat the Nuggals and the rest of the party have prepared to leave. They stand waiting for your orders.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:music::word: /somewhat dismissive, not fully listening. "Well, it's good that we see eye-to-eye, so to speak, 'Finisher' hammer spirit thingie." /now addressing everyone else. "It's time to go back to the farm! Apparently them Snakies were sucking his spirit juices out to make this land a swamp! Plus some important historical names or somethin'... But whatever, we'll catch up later, time to head on back!"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:thumbsup::word: "Off to bury Kwill & Callet! Yay! We're all now part of a Legend!"

... and thus ends the beginning of how Finisher met his most motley of adventuring crews. :shade:

/Rastan music plays the fade out :music:

(We can still keep playing, but now you have more segue room!)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
:thumbsup::word: "Off to bury Kwill & Callet! Yay! We're all now part of a Legend!"

... and thus ends the beginning of how Finisher met his most motley of adventuring crews. :shade:

/Rastan music plays the fade out :music:

(We can still keep playing, but now you have more segue room!)
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this. It shouldn't but unfortunately creative writing is something I desperately need to improve on. There's lots of little excuses I can point you but ultimately it's that this is the hardest thing for me.
I appreciate your patience. I can't get to this tonight but I will tomorrow.
Perhaps trying to do an openish hex crawl was not the best choice but it's something I'd like to be decent at.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
No problem! :grin: I'm very easy going as a player, (unless I feel you can do better and are holding back on me! :evil: I'm like your sadistic English teacher who has greater expectations of you,).

I know you got a lot of real life munchkins running about, trying your energy reserves, too. :smile: Do your best!
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
You do your best to seal the cave entrance and impede the snake mens ability to enter. Finisher chatters on while you work to block the enterance regailing you with victories of old. As you travel further from the mound his (you feel comfortable assuming it is male whatever its origins must be) conversation slows until finally he tells you he must rest.

You carry Kwill's body out of the swampy area until you get to the hills where Rhyll suggests she might like to be buried. Kwill's burial is short and sweet. Rhyll seems actually moved by the ceremony. Perhaps realizing he had actual feelings for her.

The lengthening daylight hours of spring means the party makes it back to the farm a few hours before nightfall. The lack of any obvious watchman as you enter the farm clearing raises the hairs on the back of your neck. The Nuggals crouch low in the grass moving slowly towards the main farm. Nothing seems to be stiring in the farmhouse or it's immediate environs. As you move closer you finally see Old farmer Reid head out to look around and relieve himself away from the main house. More confident that nothing sinister is afoot you quickly make your way back.

Reid sees your approach,waves and says in a raised voice 'I tried to stop the fools from gettin carried away but it was no use.' He shakes his head and leads you inside. It's immediately apparent the rest of the old fellows got into Porlan's barrel and pickled themselves.
'It seemed harmless at first. Just a nip to take the aches away from the walk here.' Reid says shaking his head more before adding `But they just wouldn`t stop themselves. Before they knew it the party was in full swing. Probly the only good thing is they were so tired already what with the hangover from last night and the long walk they passed out before they could do more damage to themselves.'
Snores fill the area as the passed out men sleep off the festivitie.s
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:shock: :crossed::word: "What about my Lulu! And Moonpie?"
:closed::thought: (Ooooh... this won't bode well.)
:sad::word: "Porlan, you're free to bring back discipline to what's left of your stash. Meanwhile we'll let them sober up, so as they can feel and remember what their punishment is: digging the graves for our honorable dead."
---------
/when they sober up some
:trigger::word: "Celebration's over. We got real threats, and now real losses! You were supposed to preserve that drink -- it was also some of the last of our food. And if you were attacked while drunk, it would have been an easy slaughter! We would have no supply line, no support, and no extra help to fight for our town's lives!"
:cry::word: "So, since we just came back from a grim duty, you'll do the honors of providing Callet a grave! May it remind you that this is not a holiday, that our lives are very much facing the cold of the grave."

/we bury Callet, I say service, I try to bring us all back together by sharing news of our mound discoveries & our planned excursion as one large group tomorrow.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
Porlan can hardly contain his rage at seeing the amount of beer consumed!
''Gods! These men are fools! I can tell you I'll be loud and proud tomorrow supervising their diggin the graves. Perhaps a loud funeral dirge is needed too! You think?' he asks.

He gets to work securing the beer as best he's able to. As he heads to sleep he ''trips' on a few of the men finding his way to his bedroll.

The men glumly accept your admonishment while digging the graves and listening to the last rites. They pack with limited groaning and moaning as they slowly get ready. The news of the mound and the sight of the enchanted hammer boost their spirits and let them forget their foolishness for a brief moment.

You leave the farmhouse and slowly make your way back to the mound. The men ask 'Do we camp here tonight or move forward?'

The Nuggals anticipating your question about the trail say the sent is still strong enough for them to follow.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
As you pack to leave you see Lulu and Moonpie staggering back to the group. The bloodshot eyes are a dead giveaway that their food and water we're spiked with the beer. They look happy as they can be to see you but Moonpie is clearly unfriendly towards the old men.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
1,581
:sweat::word: "Whew! I was so worried." :errr: "Hey~! You two've been drinking?"
:worried::word: "Poor babies, you two are gonna have a headache later and I dunno what to give you beyond more water." :blah: "Best to get as much traveling done while some of us are drunk & happy, then find a safe place to rest. If we spot good running water we should camp nearby and collect extra water. Morning is gonna be hard, but water will help -- and we're gonna need more clean water before we get to the swamp proper."

/We continue on while we have good light, looking for a discreet camp near clean, running water (within a mile). We set up 3 part night shifts, in 4 hour chunks, letting the drunks sleep it off first. If we have twine or thread, and anything that can make noise when agitated, we'll save some camp time to set up an alarm... because I listen to Rhyll's advice or something. :clown:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,068
Reaction score
10,236
You head on past the mound following the scent leading north further into the swamp. In the distance you see forests and hills leading into mountains even further north. Movement is slow going through the swamp but you push on. The reeds are thick and the winds blowing through the area rustle the reeds regularly.
:argh:'Damn wind! Someone or thing could be right beside us and I couldn't tell' McAllister curses.
Perhaps despite or because of the winds you are able to travel unmolested.
:sad:'Somewhere towards the mountains is supposed to be a great chasm. Never seen it but some say it was Durham's axe (A human god with protection and war aspects) that slashed the ground keeping the humanoids in their place.' Olaf adds admiring his ax and rubbing his face. The alcohol has clearly worn off leaving him grumpy.
:crossed:As evening approaches Fido suggests abandoning the trail for now to seek shelter in the nearby woods.
You set camp (woods/swamp you pick) and strain and boil swamp water as best you can. Watches are set and the men and Nuggals are clearly anxious. The hangovers seem like a mixed blessing at this point as the men are too tired to let their fears keep them awake when finally offered a chance to rest.
Rhyll sets a tripline.
Who's on each watch?

Humans with you that seem combat capable
Five Nuggals (Fido, Spot, three more you can name as they accept humans can't say their names)
 
Top