IC Attack the Darkness! The Geriatric Brigade

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Rhyll says "A herd of old men may not be the stealthiest way to move forward. I think we should leave most of them here and go forward with Olaf and Fido in the lead. Porlan, you, the other nuggals and myself can follow closely behind."

Olaf and Fido don't even wait for a response before heading south to the next structure.
Quickly reconnoitering the outside they report back.
"Another old foundation but raised up more compared to here. Nobody we could see or hear but we only checked out the closest corner to us." Olaf reports "What next? Check it out more or move on to the next building?" He asks.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:trigger::word: "Hmm, perhaps we should all move onto the next building, clear it out, and occupy it. Rhyll, I heard walls are helpful to defend against hordes, so that building might make us harder to wipe out all at once. And it gets us closer to where we are going bit by bit!" :wink:

:errr::word: "But doesn't it also mean we'd be trapped inside if they surround us? I forget how battle strategy works."

(We are moving from Bldg 1 to Bldg 2, I believe? Part of me is curious why the plants by Bldg 1 are different than Bldg 2~4. But, priorities, at most Kissinger will ask Finisher in his head, "Which of these plants look like the original type when the dwarves were here?")
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
OOC the structures here are all ruins. There are some walls but most are in States of disassembly or decay. The plants are all natural looking varying mostly by proximity to the water and soft soil near the swamp vs more compact soil a little bit uphill from the swamp.

yes my description was from building 1 to building 2.

Finnisher sends to you 'Are you daft? None of this looks right! Dwarves don't build in swamps! Now the trees those might be from the forests nearby back when'
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
You're character is alive. Should I bring the lizardman army now?
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:sleep::thought: (I love this moving throne called "the 'Rascal' scooter." With these I can conquer my kingdom while sitting down!)

:shock::word: "Wha-what! Oh, sorry. I was imagining you my minions building my empi- -- er, slaughtering all those Snakies and us reuniting with our loved ones!" :hehe:

:thumbsup::word: "Onward, to victory, like the brave men (:crossed: and good dogs?) that we are!"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
(:yawn: Onward! To adventure... Mmm, nappy time. :sleep:)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Confident that nothing is nearby your current location you move on towards the next ruined structure. The soil becomes more moist as you advance.

The initial inspection of the ruins reveals no inhabitants. Only decaying structure and an overgrowth of vegetation. As you advance to the west you hear something in the swamp! A quarter of reptile men can be seen grouped together. Their heads turn your direction surprised at your sudden stealthy arrival. You sense you have only moments to act before they will respond!
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
(Quick question: What is "[a] quarter of reptile men?" :crossed: Are they a new species unlike Snakies, and is there like 25 (cents worth) of them, or one-fourth of average human height? Or did you mean "a 'quartet' of Snakemen?" :clown: The number appearing and monster type matters here.)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
(Quick question: What is "[a] quarter of reptile men?" :crossed: Are they a new species unlike Snakies, and is there like 25 (cents worth) of them, or one-fourth of average human height? Or did you mean "a 'quartet' of Snakemen?" :clown: The number appearing and monster type matters here.)
Quartet. Goddamnspellcorrect!
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
(:grin: Are they also Snakies? Or an unknown species of reptile men? ... We'd most likely attack Snakies, taking advantage of surprise before they call for any more help, by the way.

Unless they are really huge Alligator Men that we usually run away from or never seen before. :crossed:)
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
(:grin: Are they also Snakies? Or an unknown species of reptile men? ... We'd most likely attack Snakies, taking advantage of surprise before they call for any more help, by the way.

Unless they are really huge Alligator Men that we usually run away from or never seen before. :crossed:)
Snakies! You don't have surprise but you have initiative.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
The four snake men look a bit shocked by the speed and ferocity of your attack. It doesn't keep them from putting up a strong defense. Your whole company presses the attack. Five Nuggals charge the snakies, most missing but throwing them off balance. The largest Nuggal called Thor in common draws the attention of the snakies. Two strong blows connect with him bringing him down. Three of the snakies take stong hits but remain standing.
The human members of your group get in a few blows without harm to themselves.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:argh::word: "No, not Thor! You slitherin sunzabitches shall pay! Finisher, guide my hand... :gunslinger:"

(Quick question: Does dropping to zero mean death, making Cure Wounds pointless until higher levels? I assume my PC would already know whether I could run in and try to save Thor, now that he is 'brought down'. :wink: )
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
(Let's say zero means unconscious and negative is dead. Thor looks unconscious.)
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
( :money: In that case I still fight... but fight my way towards Thor. Next Round I would yell for people to cover me as I try to drag Thor from melee so I can heal him on the Round After Next.

Ideally I would drag Thor towards Lulu & Moonpie as they might run interference to protect me. Kissinger hasn't fought much before, let alone with a group of men, so he still relies on his animal buddies (minions :clown:). All he understands now in combat is: "Big Dog Thor went down, Big Dog Thor is a big fighter, get big fighter back up to stay safe." :sweat: )
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
The snakies show no signs of fear but react slower than your band of men and Nuggals. The combination of men with various polearms and Nuggals close quarter pack tactics work surprisingly well for a company that's never really fought together before. In short order they take three of the four down.
The largest snakie seems unaffected by the loss of his comrades switching from Thor to the next largest opponent, Rhyll. Rhyll proves his combat skills have not left him in his years as a farmer. Only a weak claw attack makes it through his defenses.

The fighting warms the blood of the snakies and he continues his attack on Rhyll. Rhyll keeps up a solid defense with only another scratch from the snakies making it through.
Even with the full company attacking him the snakie puts up an impressive defense. A bite from Spot and a pitchfork from McAllister find their mark and bring him down.

Spirits are running high with a victory.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:sweat::word: "Gotta bring back Thor... already lost Kwill... cannot keep losing fighters... if we fail everyone dies..." A rising high pitched tweet is clenched out, Kissinger sounds stressed.

/trying to Cure Wounds Thor
 
Last edited:

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:weep::word: "Nyoooo! Thor! I have failed!"
/brrrappy fart of desolation.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
You say your blessings and ask for the healing strength of the gods. Power flows through your hands sealing wounds and restoring strength to his almost lifeless body.

"Gahh!" Thor says sitting up clutching his wounds, feeling his blood and then realizing the wounds are gone. He looks at you amazed. Still bruised and aching a bit he stands slowly surveying the surroundings.

"I missed it?" he asks.

The others do their best to restrain their joy at victory. "What next Boss?" asks Porter.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:yawn::word: "Whew! I feel spent. I don't think I have the ear of the gods in me any more today. We need to be cautious from here on out."
:worried::word: "But time is also of the essence! We are trapped knowing we all get closer to death the longer we take -- if not by Snakies, then by exposure and starvation."
:sad::word: "Quick, let's move these bodies where they won't be noticed, maybe the nearby ruin we just left, while also searching for clues."

/search dead Snakies for clues, tugs on heavy Snakie corpse.

:trigger::word: "Hmm... Rhyll, Porter, Fido, Spot? Do you have clever ideas to use these bodies? I heard hunters and fighters had tricks to use the dead to lure more prey into an ambush. But beyond overheard stories, I don't know how, or if it is a good idea here."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Rhyll says "I say we sink the bodies. Is someone finds them they'll get their guard up. Eventually someone will find them but we should get them as well hidden as we can."

Porlan suggests "Burn em?" But seems unsure if that's the best course of action.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:hmmm::word: "Honestly, I like fire, because I believe it would be harder for any but legendary high priests to bring someone back without their body left. That and it would be cathartic, good idea Porlan." :evil:
:trigger::word: "But maybe later. Time is of the essence and the smoke and grilled meat smell will attract things from far away. We need to be fast and practical, so Rhyll is right, we should sink them."

:thumbsup::word: "OK, let's check for clues, loot the bodies, and sink them into this marsh. Ideally in that order. Then we continue on to the next ruin!"
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Searching the bodies and the area nearby you find a staff with snake ornamentation and an oiled inflated bladder serving as a waterproof bag tied to it. Inside the bag are a pair of scrolls.

Each of the snakemen have similar bladder sacks containing various coins, trinkets and wrapped meats as snacks. The trinkets seem to be various shell bracelets, necklaces etc with limited civilized world value. The coins total up to around 200 cp and 20 silver.

Beyond the loot you find no useful tracks or information regarding the snakies. The bodies are stuffed with rocks and dragged out into the swamp before sinking them.


How do you want to proceed exploring?
 
Last edited:

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:ooh::thought: (Huh, bladdersack! Never would have thought about them being useful water-proof purses. If we survive this, maybe we might do a trade with river sailors or something. ... Oh shit, :shock: they had a magician with them? Staff with snaky decoration and bladdsack with scrolls? Do I have time to waste on figuring out what it says?)

:worried::word: "Hey guys, um, I am going to need to flip through these scrolls really quick to see if they will lead us to our loved ones and save us time. If they look too magical, I won't waste much time. :smile: Meanwhile, Porlan could you help divide up the coins? This way if any of us die during running for our lives we do not lose all the money... :crossed: ... that might help us buy more healing to save our friends! :wink: 'Don't put all eggs in one basket,' right?"
:thumbsup::word: "Porlan," for all to hear, "give the Nuggles half the coins, and all the meat if they want it and deem it safe for them to eat. I don't know if we humans have as strong stomach as they do. It might mean all the difference for them to keep pursuing the snakies, rescue their families, and maybe avenge us frail, old humans."

/tummy grumbles, gas builds painfully :dead::thought: (Damn it, not now!)

:quiet::thought: (Okay Punisher, I can read a little strange stuff, but I will need your help for anything stranger. It's a bit jarring to let you borrow my eyes, but time is precious. As I hold and open the scrolls let me know if there is any immediate danger, or clues where to go next! :errr: Please don't be a sacrificial ritual to resurrect a dark god! Please don't be a sacrificial ritual to resurrect a dark god! Please don't be a sacrificial ritual to resurrect a dark god! :dead:)
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Porlan portions out the coins and offers the meat to the Nuggals. They turn up their noses at the meat.

You examine the scrolls closely. The first contains characters and symbols beyond your comprehension but the second scroll is recognizable as a prayer to a northern god for protection from the elements.

Punisher responds to your thoughts. "My powers are still diminished. Reading the various tongues of the world is not a serious strain but taping into the power to understand magic takes much more from me right now. I may not be able to do it again for a while. Do you wish me to proceed?"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:thumbsup::thought: (Nah, Punisher. It is better you rest. You have a lot of wrongs to right if I fall. I am going to guess it it is related to the prayer for protection from the elements, as time is precious.)

/goes to the Nuggals
:worried::word: "I see that you guys don't want the meat. I thought it might help you stay strong and finish finding your family, in case we old men die on the journey. I meant no offense.
:ooh::word: "We cannot digest mystery meat all that well without risking getting sick. Do you have digestions like us humans? Or maybe you can sense more danger? Does it smell poisoned? Too putrid?
:crossed::word: "Oh my! Does it smell like us humans or your family?" :sick:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
:skeleton: /sleepwalks to adventure! spooky!
It's like you expect a reply more than once a week. Jesus man crack that whip!
:thumbsup::thought: (Nah, Punisher. It is better you rest. You have a lot of wrongs to right if I fall. I am going to guess it it is related to the prayer for protection from the elements, as time is precious.)

/goes to the Nuggals
:worried::word: "I see that you guys don't want the meat. I thought it might help you stay strong and finish finding your family, in case we old men die on the journey. I meant no offense.
:ooh::word: "We cannot digest mystery meat all that well without risking getting sick. Do you have digestions like us humans? Or maybe you can sense more danger? Does it smell poisoned? Too putrid?
:crossed::word: "Oh my! Does it smell like us humans or your family?" :sick:
Fido says it's too rotten. He wants nothing more to do with it other than to say he doesn't know what it was originally.

He and the other Nuggals move to the upwind edge of the group and sniff the air. They're pretty sure they smell something feline like but it smells bad.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:crossed::word: "We should toss the meat away from us, maybe in the general direction of the feline, and move on. Onto the next ruin, because at least the walls will help us from being ambushed in the marshy grass."
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
795
Reaction score
1,439
"We ate snaky back in the war," Nik comments. "I think it was snaky? Tasted like chicken. I had a particularly unsatisfactory bowel movement the following day."
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:quiet::word: "Well look who's back from the land of nod! :wink: Nodding off, that is."
:hmmm::word: "Nikodemus, this way to the next ruins." :errr: /whispers "Say, I'm likely out for the day until a good rest. And Thor's still fragile, too. How much mojo you got in case things go bad? In simple words now, no details, as I rarely grok your mysteries." :goof:
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
795
Reaction score
1,439
"Why, I got my magic dagger and I got my most powerful spell ready! I could take on an army!" Nick pauses for a moment and continues with a bit less bluster. "Only between you and me, it's not as magical as I bin telling the grandkids. But I reckon I could put a handful of varmints to sleep if we sees them before they sees us."
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
1,439
:grin::smile::word: "Good. We can push forward, men. :ooh:... and Nuggals."
:blah::word: /whispers back to Nikodemus "But not too much more. We are going to need to lean on their weapon arms before we unleash you. Thanks for the truth. By the way, does your magic explain Gruffyn's endless slumber? :tongue:"

/when safely by the next ruins' walls
:errr::word: /whispers to Nikodemus "Seems like Porlan might be a dabbler in poultices, the way he fiddles with glop and herbs. Maybe later prepare our stash and train him, to keep us alive or mess with enemies?"
:worried::word: /whispers to Rhyll and Fido "We follow your timing on this next ruin. Tell us when to go in -- and hopefully before that feline is done with that rotten meat!"

(I have my Lulu and Moonpie leashes with me. Poor things could get killed by that feline! :cry: I want them close. This part, getting them to go underground with us is not gonna be easy on them.)
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
795
Reaction score
1,439
:grin::blah::word: /whispers back to Nikodemus "But not too much more. We are going to need to lean on their weapon arms before we unleash you. Thanks for the truth. By the way, does your magic explain Gruffyn's endless slumber? :tongue:"
"Yes! ...which is to say -- no." Nick scratches his scraggly beard. "It's my considered opinion that his soul has been drawn from his body by demons of a particularly licentious sexual nature to experience visions of unnatural carnal satisfactions. Which is what I'd prefer to be doing. On the other hand, maybe he just got hit in the head too hard. If he lives, I must ask him about those visions."
:errr::word: /whispers to Nikodemus "Seems like Porlan might be a dabbler in poultices, the way he fiddles with glop and herbs. Maybe later prepare our stash and train him, to keep us alive or mess with enemies?"
"I outlived all my enemies. Creditors, too. Let's go for the healing thing."
 
Last edited:

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
5,333
Reaction score
7,309
Rhyll gathers the men and cajoles them into preparing the next assault. Word of more dangers ahead cools some of the bravado remaining from the last successful action but spirits remain high, perhaps excessively so.

"Damn fools win one battle and think they're invincible. T's like dealing with damn kids. If they'd ever fought in a war or really adventured they'd be more cautious. Well that or they'd be dead" Rhyll reports back. "Ah well we're as ready as we'll ever be."

Porlan and Fido chat briefly before the Nuggals head off to scout more. They're gone for long enough Porlan seems to be visibly getting concerned before Nuggals show up again quickly.

They confer quickly with Porlan with whom they seem to have developed a pidgin language.

"Gnolls. At least three but probably more. Apparently they smell similar to cats. Who knew? And a Dogman in robes. They seemed to have been waiting for us initially but they look like they might be on the move. I;m guessing they heard the fight with the snakies, waited on the outcome and now are either heading somewhere to warn others or coming to investigate. We ain't got much time. What do you want to do Boss?" Porlan says to Kissinger but seems equally interested to see what Nikodemus has to say
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
795
Reaction score
1,439
"If it's a fight they want, it's a fight they'll get!" Nick stands up, sways, then panting from the effort of it, sits down again. "On the other hand, this is a clear provocation to waste our resources and we shouldn't rise to it."

He thinks for a bit. "I'd like to know more about these guys. Can we set a scout to watch them from cover while the rest of us find somewhere to hole up?"
 
Top