IC Attack the Darkness! The Geriatric Brigade

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:blah::word: "Rhyll, would holing up near these nearby ruins help us? It covers our back at least. Position the men in the best defensive position you can muster. I trust you."

:quiet::word: "Porlan, what does Fido mean by 'a dogman in robes'? How different from Nuggals does this 'dogman' seem? Maybe they can talk to us, even help fight a mutual enemy the Snakies? How do we and Nuggals normally get along with these Gnolls and 'dogmen'?"

:worried::word: "Nikodemus, I'd normally agree with you. But I want to call these sneaky neutrals out from hiding as we do not have the time for their plotting. We don't need to fight on two fronts, one going deeper into Snaky land, and opportunist Gnoll-Cats fighting us while we are weak on the way back."
:sad::word: "If we parley and they do not attack, we may have to be cagey still about our plight. Our town is starving and weak, and they are an unknown quantity with who knows how much support or what intentions. I'm a bellicose ass, so maybe you can talk sense to them Nikodemus! :goof: Or maybe Porlan can, as you hang in back in case we need your mojo special." :thumbsup:

:blah::word: "Gruffyn, now would be an inconvenient time to fall asleep and die on us."

:dice::word: "Ready guys to try some stupid move, like yell out to strangers with weapons and ask them to come talk with us?"
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
2,049
"Hmmph. Well, if you insist on taking action instead of finding a place to nap and recover our strength like sensible men, then I suggest we have two or three people hail them, and the rest hide in preparation for an ambush when it inevitably comes to pass that they mean us harm."

"I once had to smear myself with halfling guts to forestall an act of buggery by a minotaur," he adds, as though it somehow proves his point.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Rhyll listens to the two of you debate tactics before offering his council "The men are old. Fortifying a position plays to their strengths which is they don't like to move as much these days. Charging into a fight is libel to cost us a quarter of our men just to tripping and falling over uneven ground." He seems amused by his observation. "I'll go call the cats and dogs out and give em our terms if you need" He offers confidently. In what seems to be a game of one upmanship he adds "I once lay motionless with remains of a dozen of my friends to escape the massacre at Holands Fort. They put anyone alive to the spear but I outsmarted them!"

Porlan tries to get more information out of Fido regarding the dogmen. "Near as I can tell we're talking about somethin akin to a different breed. Fido seems to think this breed is both civilized an mean on account of it working with Gnolls and the way it seemed to be directing them about. He's not sure how a parley would turn out. He seems cagey about the situation." Porlan reports back.
Hearing Rhyll's brag Porlan adds awkwardly "I slept with a goat."

Gruffyn seems to have found a corner to sit in and blends almost invisibly into the background. His concealment is almost perfect except for the occasional snore.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
2,049
"Very well then, we have a plan." Nick stands up, joints popping. "If we can get the nuggals to bring in some armloads of fallen branches, I can trim them to points and we can plant them in doorways and windows."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
The Nuggals quickly gather what they can while the old men set about sharpening the sticks

Rhyll watches ready to advance and call out the gnolls and their companion(s?).

Along with the sticks and branch coverings the Nuggals bring reasonable sized stone to lob at any attackers.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:shock::word: "..."
:worried::thought: "I am speechless. Who are these people? Finisher, I don't think I'll live to see my glorious victory statue. I am going to die surrounded by madness."
/in a daze drops a stone into my sling, with a hand on Finisher on my belt for comfort, waits for Rhyll to call out to the creatures for parley.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Finisher seems either unwilling or uninterested in answering your question.

Rhyll looks to see if everyone is prepared before walking to Kissinger and Nikodemus. "Today's a good day to die." he says with an enthusiastic grin. Without waiting for a response he heads out to begin the parley.

He moves stealthy finding some bushes to conceal himself before calling out "We know you're out there. We know you know we're here. Talk if you're going to talk or let's get to killing each other!"

Porlan looks at the two of you and says "Perhaps we shouldn't send the senile brawler with a death wish out to do our talking in the future."

Past Rhyll you hear an unnerving noise similar to giggling and then a quavering voice "We can talk. Why have you come here?" it asks.

Rhyll shifts position while waiting for the response. Still concealed he says "Snakemen kidnapped our families. We've come to rescue them. We have no quarrel with you unless you make one."


You all have some time to react while this is going on
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:thumbsup::word: /whisper "Good idea, Porlan. Rhyll seems a bit too ready to follow his girl to the other world. We need a sweet talking guy..."

:worried::word: /tense whisper to Nik "Nikodemus! I'm a callous ass; I can't talk sense to them. Can you?" :sad: "Our best hope might be Porlan. Help me push him out into the open. Then one of us can whisper in his ear what to parley." :quiet: "Also he may be useful cover in case they start shooting."
/tummy rumbles with gas building
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
2,049
Nik scratches his wispy beard. "I was always good at sweet-talking the wife. I used to tell her she was the prettiest girl in the village who wasn't already taken. Why don't we tell them we don't want to hurt anyone who's not a snakey, so they should just leave while they can?"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:blah::word: "Well that does sound sensible. And you as additional missile cover will be useful." :trigger: "But shouldn't we also figure out why they are here?" :ooh: "And what if they want to kill Snakies for fun and profit? Should we charge a finder's fee?":money:
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:dead: Kissinger cramps up from being ready so long. "My aching back!" :weep:
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Porlan listens to your conversation disapprovingly. "I thought you braver!" He whispers angrily at Kissinger. Upon hearing your thoughts on asking why these others might be here he nods approvingly.

"We've told you why we're here. What's your reason?" He asks before scurrying to another hiding place.

You see Rhyll turn his head quickly to the right then nodding at you and pointing vigorously to his right. He makes a motion with his finger indicating walking. You surmise someone or thing is approaching on the right.

The voice answers back "We are traders. These ruins are a meeting place known to many in this region. Come have someone look at our wares and confirm what I say."
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:worried::word: "Nik, where can they come out so we all can see? Should we even get out of cover?"

:goof::word: "Oh yoo-hoo, unknown strangers. What exactly do you normally trade here, and with whom?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
The same voice as before response "Many meet here. The snakemen, dogmen, humans, shorlai. We come, stay a while and trade then go back. We have salt and tools. Come see!" it offers.

Rhyll looks back at you shrugging. You see him soundlessly asking you "What now?"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
( :ooh::thought: Thanksgiving is coming! :crossed: so much to do!)

:errr::word: /whisper to Nik "Trade with humans? I don't remember any trade here with them... You?"

:worried::word: /louder to the encountered "Um, we do not have much in the way to trade right now. But after meeting a big frog monster that killed one of our own, we are rather stressed and cautious. Do you have a symbol of peace to show us out in the open? We'd want to talk about what's around and how to avoid dangers."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Porlan says "Never heard of anyone trading anything anywhere near here. This place is bad news as far as I know."

You hear rustling in the branches. Out of the brush comes a large shaggy gnoll carrying a bundle of cloth. He wears chainmail and a sheathed knife at his waist. He lays the blanket down unfolding it. He opens a boxed wrapped in it revealing a large pile of powder.
In a giggling voice he says "Salt. Come look."

Rhyll looks back at you for options.

Porlan says "Gnolls aren't known as traders. More like slavers in the stories I've been told."
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:errr::word: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And at this point we all need to move on." /I gesture the others to remain ready in their hidden/ambush state, including Moonpie & Lulu

:blah::word: "I hope that giggle of your is nervousness and not of a trick. We too are tightly wound with stress. Let us see what you have for sale besides salt..." /wanders towards the trader with salt displayed from the box.
<idea>

:thumbsup::word: "Actually, that must sell well here in a marsh! All this water would make animals want salt. You must know this region well... known it as long since it started to flood...?"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
{:heart: Now we have all the time we need to... hold up, media says gotta hoard toilet paper & rubbing alcohol. :worried: brb! :hurry:}
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
{Well, we are off to kill the Snakies and get our youngin's back. On the way we lost some, we gained some, and now we have Gnolls who say they wanna trade salt. Could be a trap, but I decide to take the risk and see their goods while most of the rest hide in the tall grass ready to ambush.

Oh, and I am currently safely in a toilet paper fort in my living room. :thumbsup: }
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
You're all holed up in building #2 having fortified it slightly and as I recall stocked with rocks and some impromptu Spears along with your original equipment. The Gnolls and unknown canine smelling opponents are in #3 somewhere. You've heard some movement in the bushes. They are saying they're traders. Porlan has said in the past no one goes out this way so whoever they are trading with it isn't your village.IMG_20180805_193601-01.png
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
:errr::word: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And at this point we all need to move on." /I gesture the others to remain ready in their hidden/ambush state, including Moonpie & Lulu

:blah::word: "I hope that giggle of your is nervousness and not of a trick. We too are tightly wound with stress. Let us see what you have for sale besides salt..." /wanders towards the trader with salt displayed from the box.
<idea>

:thumbsup::word: "Actually, that must sell well here in a marsh! All this water would make animals want salt. You must know this region well... known it as long since it started to flood...?"
"Sells well yes,yes! We trade here much! <giggling> What you have? How many you need to feed?" the Gnolls asks.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
2,049
"Don't tell 'em!" Nik hisses. "That's a classic ruse!"

He starts awkwardly clambering up a rubble pile to see if he can access the roof. "Vantage point. 's what I need. Spy 'em out 'n' blast 'em with a sleep spell."
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
"Don't tell 'em!" Nik hisses. "That's a classic ruse!"

He starts awkwardly clambering up a rubble pile to see if he can access the roof. "Vantage point. 's what I need. Spy 'em out 'n' blast 'em with a sleep spell."
OOC - no roof just crumbling walls of varying height.
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:quiet::word: "Don't mean to be rude, but must you giggle like that? It is hard for me to tell when you are serious." :yawn: "Anyway," /stretches into a yawn, then flaps off-hand down several times as arm is being lowered, as if to shoo away a nuisance fly "you catch us ill prepared for trading, so we might be a poor deal at this time."

:wink::word: "But that does not have to stop us from trading in the future! So in the interest of a peaceful start to our people's relationship, I will look upon your wares and see what we can buy... :cry: poor as I now am." :grin: "What sort of coinage or goods do you take?"

... :crossed::thought: (Dear legendary warhammer buddy, I hate to tax you while resting, but now would be a good time to learn about your suggested relations to gnolls and magic mystery dog-people.)

{:shade::drink::thought: remember, just because i do something doesn't stop anyone from responding otherwise.}
 
Last edited:

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
OOC - {:crossed::word: "Also if you laughing dogs have any toilet paper or rice I will buy all of it. :argh: All of it! Now! Now! Now!"
:clown:}
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Giggling more the Gnolls replies "Habit. Tick. We make the noise without trying. Gold, steel, what you have. We meet many and trade. What you have?" He looks back at the trees behind him.

Finisher hears your plea. "Gnolls trade only in slaves! Get back boy and kill the foul beasts!"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
OOC - {I still live!, inside a stylish TP fort... swathed in rich Cordovan leather. :shade:}

:grin::word: "Hey that's convenient! :blah: Accepting other forms of payment, I mean, not your habit-tic. That might hurt your appearance of sincerity while trading among humans in the future... just a free tip. :wink:" /takes a breath as if trying to relax and also express regret, :sad: "However, as a sizable hunting party right now we are on at most a few copper & silver pieces ourselves. :wink: Jingling purses spook prey, you understand."

:hehe::word: "So might as well get the disappointment over with and take a look at all the wonderful things we cannot buy now. Maybe we can afford a notion or two in remembrance of our peaceful meeting... for our people's lasting memory... for generations to come." /looks at goods displayed from a reasonable distance

:grin: "By the way, you got a name, buddy? And what do you call your trading caravan? How will we all find you if we have a big order in the future?"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
"Hehehe my name not speakable to you. Call me Bloodclaw. Hehe My clan Heart Rippers. We come often but not again for a while. We should trade now. How many do you need things for?"
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
:hehe::word: "Your name and clan reminds me of how our young boys like destructive sounding nicknames, too. We humans can be brutally violent as well, and some take pride in trying to scare others." :smile: "But eventually we find peace helps us grow stronger... as fun as disemboweling and terrorizing others can be."

:money::word: "So Bloodclaw of clan Heart Rippers, let's see what you got and which will be the best symbolic token of good faith between our people's peace."

{OOC - Basically I cannot see the goods on offer, :cry:, and I am stalling so spittingimage (or other NPCs, if GM so decides) has a chance to act.:grin: Sharing playtime is caring!}
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
7,105
Reaction score
10,316
Bloodclaw points to the box with the salt he laid out previously "You want this?" he asks "Or something else?"

Again you hear some rustling in the bushes.


Nik sees Rhyll point and shift some of the men to the east side side of the ruins.
He says Porlan and Nik 'Something is moving out there. I don't think it's many but there's something out there.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
2,049
Nik abruptly wakes up. "Pancakes!"
'Something is moving out there. I don't think it's many but there's something out there.
"Knew it. Ambush. Keeping us talking so they can flank us. Well, we'll outflank their flank, won't we?" He shuffles his feet a bit. "But just in case, someone see if we've got a clear line of retreat."
 

opaopajr

Legendary Member
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
1,593
{GM remember! I also have animals -- dog Moonpie & donkey Lulu --who can mess with everyone's plans. :hehe: Last trick I would have commanded them is 'Stay!' But how long that lasts compared to the stressful encounter is up to you!:thumbsup::dice: }
 
Top