[IC] Ynn by way of Knave

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Flim: Curiously enough there's a fisherman's hat and bait box, both tangled up in the line from a broken rod. No doubt there's an interesting story behind what it's doing here.

Axel:The tracks lead to a small workyard where Axel is just in time to see Flim cutting a decorative line of flags that's tangled around a tree which appears to be rooted in a giant turtle's shell. It doesn't seem grateful.

Gambon: The robes are quality work, and before time and wildlife got to it it would have been worth a bob or two. Now it's ruined. Gambon can see the clothes were nob quality - fine stitching and high-grade material - but not a fancy cut. Made for practicality rather than a social occasion. The furniture is the same - good materials and workmanship but not built to impress anyone.

The next set of stairs are the final ones. They lead up to a sparsely-laid out room with French windows onto a wide balcony. There's a set of parallel rails starting in the room's centre and leading up to the balcony balustrade, almost like they were built to launch something into the air. There's a framed sketch of an unlikely-looking glider on the wall. On the outside above the French doors is an ornate filigree lantern with a brass body and silver mesh on the glass.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon: The robes are quality work, and before time and wildlife got to it it would have been worth a bob or two. Now it's ruined. Gambon can see the clothes were nob quality - fine stitching and high-grade material - but not a fancy cut. Made for practicality rather than a social occasion. The furniture is the same - good materials and workmanship but not built to impress anyone.

The next set of stairs are the final ones. They lead up to a sparsely-laid out room with French windows onto a wide balcony. There's a set of parallel rails starting in the room's centre and leading up to the balcony balustrade, almost like they were built to launch something into the air. There's a framed sketch of an unlikely-looking glider on the wall. On the outside above the French doors is an ornate filigree lantern with a brass body and silver mesh on the glass.
Gambon heads out onto the balcony and has a look at the scenery and view of the gardens.

After getting a good look, he'll take the sketch of the glider and head downstairs.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Flim: It's not too difficult to reach the bait box. The turtle cranes its neck around to hiss, but it seems to be a kind of general peevishness rather than a serious attempt to harm. The box contains a dessicated cheese sandwich, some equally withered worms, a floppy-brimmed hat, some coiled line and a particularly fine silver-inlaid fishhook. Silver wouldn't tarnish underwater, but it's still an odd choice of material for a hook.

Gambon: The ferret squints at the glider sketch sceptically. "Is that it? I always thought they had proper treasure up there. Manny, what do you think?"

One of the frogs considers the sketch. "Ordinary charcoal on plain vellum. Hasty, unfocused, missing the boldness of the impassioned statement, and yet unmistakeably the hand of a master. One might lose oneself in contemplating what the moment of inspiration must have felt like." He scratches his head. "Can frogs get dandruff, do you think?"

"I s'pose that's your end of the bargain held up," the ferret says. "And you're alive, so it's probably safe for us to strip the place. Follow me." He heads for the pit and by wedging his hands and feet into a chimey-like crack in the stone, begins to descend into it.
 

Longfingers

Need a hand?
Joined
Feb 23, 2018
Messages
110
Reaction score
64
Rather relieved to catch sight of one of his companions, Axel shouted 'hey Flim!' and headed in his direction. 'You won't believe what I've been doing...'
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
I take the silver hook then turn. 'Thank the Gods! I was getting worried.'
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon: The ferret squints at the glider sketch sceptically. "Is that it? I always thought they had proper treasure up there. Manny, what do you think?"

One of the frogs considers the sketch. "Ordinary charcoal on plain vellum. Hasty, unfocused, missing the boldness of the impassioned statement, and yet unmistakeably the hand of a master. One might lose oneself in contemplating what the moment of inspiration must have felt like." He scratches his head. "Can frogs get dandruff, do you think?"

"I s'pose that's your end of the bargain held up," the ferret says. "And you're alive, so it's probably safe for us to strip the place. Follow me." He heads for the pit and by wedging his hands and feet into a chimey-like crack in the stone, begins to descend into it.
Gambon attempts to follow his descent, although he casts his eyes about for anything "odd" or at least more odd than his guide.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Gambon: The ferret climbs down to a spot where he can swing himself into a space in the crevasse wall where it intersects a tunnel. The walls and floor are made of neat brickwork, like a London train platform. The walls curve into an arch overhead. There's only a short length of tunnel visible before the light fails and the rest is darkness. The ferret takes a couple of candles from a satchel hung on an exposed girder and lights them both. He hands one to Gambon. "I know a myconid who swears he saw the questing beast down here last week," he comments. "Which is daft, the beast has no reason to be underground. Still, keep an eye out, eh?" Holding his candle high, he heads away into the darkness.

Flim and Axel: The giant turtle appears to have forgotten its earlier temper and is now plodding away from the courtyard in the direction you two approached from. What do you do next?
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
'I assume you haven't found that bloody dog either,' I say. 'Where to now?'
 

Longfingers

Need a hand?
Joined
Feb 23, 2018
Messages
110
Reaction score
64
'Should we try and find Gambon?' asked Axel. 'Otherwise, I've no idea where the dog is so may as well look someplace we haven't tried yet. By the way, try some of this fruit, it's really tasty', he added, offering a piece to Flim.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon: The ferret climbs down to a spot where he can swing himself into a space in the crevasse wall where it intersects a tunnel. The walls and floor are made of neat brickwork, like a London train platform. The walls curve into an arch overhead. There's only a short length of tunnel visible before the light fails and the rest is darkness. The ferret takes a couple of candles from a satchel hung on an exposed girder and lights them both. He hands one to Gambon. "I know a myconid who swears he saw the questing beast down here last week," he comments. "Which is daft, the beast has no reason to be underground. Still, keep an eye out, eh?" Holding his candle high, he heads away into the darkness.
"Myco...wha?" Gambon mutters taking the candle and looking ahead with no small bit of fear. Regardless however he continues into the darkness.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
I take the fruit and eat it, trusting Axel. I listen to see if I can hear anything in any of the directions.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Gambon: There's a rumble from back the way you came, as if of thunder. The ferret glances back. "If that's rain, we might want to pick up the pace a bit. Bein' as the pit we just climbed down is the lowest point of the garden and it drains through this tunnel." He begins moving faster.

Flim: You can feel the vitamins doing you good. Everything is quiet at the moment.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
‘Well I guess we might as well just pick a direction,’ I say. What is North of us?
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon: There's a rumble from back the way you came, as if of thunder. The ferret glances back. "If that's rain, we might want to pick up the pace a bit. Bein' as the pit we just climbed down is the lowest point of the garden and it drains through this tunnel." He begins moving faster.
"What!" Gambon looks over his shoulder himself, then legs it.

"Look what makes you think the dog is this way or where exactly are we heading? I got you something from that blasted tower so I expect some answers mate" Gambon shouts as he runs after the Ferret.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Gambon: "All the dogs are this way. Don't see why yours would be any different." Straining his ears, Gambon just manages to hear him mutter under his breath "Hope someone's been feeding them..."

At this point the sound of your feet changes from a "thud thud" to a "splat splat" as a skin of water flows past you over the tunnel floor. "I'm starting to wish I'd let one of the frogs do this."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon: "All the dogs are this way. Don't see why yours would be any different." Straining his ears, Gambon just manages to hear him mutter under his breath "Hope someone's been feeding them..."
"All the dogs? Righto, assuming you're not spouting nonsense should be job done for me" he races on eagerly with the ferret.

'Get the dog, then there's just getting out of here' he thinks to himself.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Gambon: There's light up ahead, and as you approach it you can see it's coming from a wide chasm that's opened up in the ground. The tunnel ends abruptly in ragged, broken bricks above a slash of void. You can see moving machinery under the earth. Below that, just clouds. Clods of dirt and dust are falling from the walls of the chasm and vanishing in the distance below. The tunnel continues on the other side, lower and to your right. It's not an impossible jump, but it's a hard one. The ankle-deep stream the floor of the tunnel has become flows out into the empty air, turning to vapour as it falls.

"Bugger." The ferret peers down into the chasm, holding out a hand to shield his eyes from the bright sun streaming down in this part of the garden. "That wasn't there last time I came this way."
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
"A bloody sky wasn't here the last time you were this way?"

He bites his lip.

"Right I'm jumping, if we both make it to the other side I have some serious questions you Ferrett man"

Gambon runs back a bit, then runs forward with all his might and leaps across the chasm.

OOC: Gulp!
 

Longfingers

Need a hand?
Joined
Feb 23, 2018
Messages
110
Reaction score
64
I heard north if Axel agrees.
'Fine by me', Axel replied. 'I'm really confused by this place though, we seem to be coming back to the same places. Where did you go when we got separated?'
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
'Fine by me', Axel replied. 'I'm really confused by this place though, we seem to be coming back to the same places. Where did you go when we got separated?'
'I can't even remember,' I say with a laugh. 'North it is.'
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Gambon comfortably makes the jump and lands in the other side of the tunnel. The ferret doesn't follow. "You cracked, mate? I'm not jumping that. I'm a ferret, not a monkey. Look, you don't even need me now. Turn left at the fork when you see it, then climb the ladder and out the hatch. Good luck with the dogs, I've always hate the little bleeders." He turns back to the tunnel you arrived through. "Now if you'll excuse me I've got a distance to go and the water's still rising."

Flim and Axel: You find yourselves back in the rose garden. It's a lot less cheery now, because a cold wind is bringing a thick black cloud rolling across overhead. You can see lightning flickering within it and hear a rumbling, distant for the moment. There's a haze of rain below it. It looks like there'll be a deluge shortly.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Flim: There are several trellises visible, with thick growth over the top. They'd give a minimal sort of protection. You might get soaked to the bone a bit slower that way.

Some of the pipes that tore up the lawn are man-sized, it might be possible to take shelter in one of them.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
‘Let’s push on and hope to find shelter before it rains, who knows what rain is like in a place like this,’ I say.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
1,326
Reaction score
1,706
Gambon comfortably makes the jump and lands in the other side of the tunnel. The ferret doesn't follow. "You cracked, mate? I'm not jumping that. I'm a ferret, not a monkey. Look, you don't even need me now. Turn left at the fork when you see it, then climb the ladder and out the hatch. Good luck with the dogs, I've always hate the little bleeders." He turns back to the tunnel you arrived through. "Now if you'll excuse me I've got a distance to go and the water's still rising."
"You what?! Don't need you?" Gambon roars as he watches the Ferret head off.

He calms down a bit.

"Well if the directions are right I suppose I don't"

He pushes on to the fork in the path.
 

Longfingers

Need a hand?
Joined
Feb 23, 2018
Messages
110
Reaction score
64
'Aye, you might be right there', agreed Axel. 'Mind you, who knows what might live in the pipes? Only one way to find out...' he added, heading over for a closer look.
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
4,614
Reaction score
6,121
I wait for Axel at a safe distance in case he needs to be rescued.
 

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
585
Reaction score
961
Sorry for leaving things so long. Life has been busy lately.

Gambon: The fork in the tunnel is there just as the ferret said. There's a small side room lit by a circle of light from a manhole above, and a set of iron ladder rungs set into the wall. There's a scraping sound from overhead, like something large being dragged across gravel. The light is blotted out for a moment, then returns.

Axel: The pipes are iron, made of sections joined together by rivets. They're starting to rust in places, but still sturdy. You could step inside the largest one, if you hunched a little. It descends away into the earth, a gradual curve eventually hiding it from view. There's no sight or sound of anything living.

Flim: Axel is dramatically back-lit by lightning, but nothing's eating him. Yet.
 
Top