Ideas for a gold-themed Mythos creature?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
I'm looking for inspiration. I'm using a real French legend about cursed gold as an element in this Call of Cthulhu scenario I'm prepping. I'd like a gold-themed monster to tie into the story, but I haven't been satisfied with my ideas so far and I don't have much experience getting the CoC monster 'vibe' right. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for inspiration. I'm using a real French legend about cursed gold as an element in this Call of Cthulhu scenario I'm prepping. I'd like a gold-themed monster to tie into the story, but I haven't been satisfied with my ideas so far and I don't have much experience getting the CoC monster 'vibe' right. Any suggestions?
The Golden Hound would be described by people much later as "a T1000 made of gold and unable to assume any looks for long, so he might revert to its golden glory form at the worst time". It craves platinum and searches for it to consume, and locates it by sniffing...hence, Golden Hound.

Does that work:grin:?

Both Tolkien and The Belgariad refer to "Dragon Cursed Gold." The gold from a dragon's hoard is tainted and possessors develop the curse of avarice. Perhaps a Pumkinhead scenario where the thief starts to become a dragon, literally. They might break the curse by dispersing the gold with no recompense, or maybe not.

Which leads to...

Something like "The Hound" where a the Investigators find some cursed gold, and whatever is following them is a lot worse than a carnivorous Leprechaun. The dispersed gold is finding its way back together, and a ghost dragon (the last owner of the hoard) is materializing, to the misery of the world.

Well, I'd have gone with the King in Gold...er Yellow.

My version of Hastur is an alien aesthete. Desirous of all things artistic even at the expense of decency and sanity. And it collects works of art to its dark and forbidding lost Carcosa. Some treasure hunters have, of course, found Carcosa and sought to loot it, fleeing to our dimension with their ill-gotten gains but even the metal itself, after being in the dread place, has changed qualities. Unlike earth gold, Carcosan gold leaves a yellow "stain" on flesh or surfaces it touches and the colloidal works its way inwards, firstly seeking out the veins, making them yellow and giving the infected a jaundiced pallor.

The solution is to return Carcosan Gold to Carcosa along with anyone it has infected. Else the monstrous half-insect beasts of the air and space will flap down from the icy altitudes and bear the infected away.

As an aside, if Carcosan Gold Fever is left to run its course, the infected will be immortal. Just for fun, it's physical immortality. they can be wounded, but will not heal and cannot die. their body and mind is permanently in this state, with weeping wounds and sloughed flesh. And that strange yellowish pallor.

Both Tolkien and The Belgariad refer to "Dragon Cursed Gold." The gold from a dragon's hoard is tainted and possessors develop the curse of avarice. Perhaps a Pumkinhead scenario where the thief starts to become a dragon, literally. They might break the curse by dispersing the gold with no recompense, or maybe not.

Which leads to...

Something like "The Hound" where a the Investigators find some cursed gold, and whatever is following them is a lot worse than a carnivorous Leprechaun. The dispersed gold is finding its way back together, and a ghost dragon (the last owner of the hoard) is materializing, to the misery of the world.
as a side suggestion, the Lloigor (Colin Wilson version) can be used as the standard "mythos-dragon":

Something like "The Hound" where a the Investigators find some cursed gold, and whatever is following them is a lot worse than a carnivorous Leprechaun.
I had the same thought of riffing off of The Hound, some ancient sorcerer/being who seeks out its stolen hoard. Some sort of haunted golden amulet/idol/artifact.

Last edited:
Maybe modern alchemy (physics) can actually turn lead into gold, but makes it highly radioactive in the process. The only sign of it would be that the gold is always warm, creates visual static on photographic plates and rots your flesh off over time.

Maybe something 'living' makes the conversion as part of a biological process, and uses the radiation as a scent marker to follow its prey.

Maybe modern alchemy (physics) can actually turn lead into gold, but makes it highly radioactive in the process. The only sign of it would be that the gold is always warm, creates visual static on photographic plates and rots your flesh off over time.

Maybe something 'living' makes the conversion as part of a biological process, and uses the radiation as a scent marker to follow its prey.
Radioactive-gold-shitting dinosaur?

Goldbugs with the Midas bite.

I once had a supervillain who was made from solid gold. Easy to deform, mangle and melt, but strong and murdery and also molten (if you tried to melt her).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back