If you had the Rights to do Whatever You Wanted with your Favorite Game?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Mythras

After running this for about a year, I have some insights.

In summary, I love the system dearly, but I found myself wanting easier reference and quicker ways to handle certain situations.
  • I'd hire the Desktop Publisher from Old School Essentials to re-do the layout and typography.
  • I'd add some clear, easy-to-use dials to tweak complexity (making Imperative part of the core rules).
  • I'd hire the artists who did Symbaroum to do all the artwork.
  • I'd get a competent designer to hash out some quick-simple NPC and creature stat rules (I've had discussions with Raleel Raleel and Bilharzia Bilharzia about this a few times already, nice house rules exist, but you know what I mean).
  • Include a rule to handle Professional skills that really overlap "Basic" ones.
Something like that.

CRIMSON SKIES
This game will forever be my Lenore. It was SUCH a cool setting and a very fun, if a little FASA-Esque and crunchy wargame. The world, an alt-history 1937 USA split into warring nation states with Zeppelins and Air Pirates is so cool. Crimson Skies manages this perfect blending of genres: the mix of being a WW2 Fighter Pilot and a Pirate is like peanut butter and chocolate.

If I had the rights, I'd re-issue the tabletop game and then release a Mechwarrior-esque RPG expansion based on the WarBirds RPG. I would really lean into the Pulp aspects of the setting. Crimson Skies is a Magic setting. I would use variations on the Magic rules from Warbirds which are less "throw a fireball" and more "swords and sorcery manipulate the world around you" magic. That or summoning demons or ressurecting Mummies and stuff. I would also expand the Mad Science rules to create devices useable in the Crimson Skies wargame.

Sadly, this will never happen because the rights to the Crimson Skies setting were sold to MICROSOFT. I adore old-school FASA but Jordan Weismann was a &$*@ing moron when it came to IP law.

Last edited:
So, on a mad whim I'd write my own version of Traveller, release it in a big boxed set with plastic ships and character figures from all the major races. One sprue for ships, one sprue for 25mm humans, K'kree, Hivers, Droyne, Aslan, Vargr, and maybe just maybe some Zhodani battle dress, and one sprue with modular vehicle parts that do three vehicles with options for tracks, grav and wheeled. Maybe just maybe a cardboard scout / courier kit but definitely some 11 x 17 boards that cover parts of play like space, planetary exploration combat, and trade.

You know, with the errata issues that T4 had, as well as the artwork, I never really gave T4 the look it might deserve. I wasn't playing much when it came out so never got to try it at the table. (Re: artwork: Foss' stuff is nice, but surely doesn't fit the Traveller universe. IMO, the art director just wanted color pages and bought already made art for the book. But then, Ken Whitman... <eyeroll>)
But despite my joke about too many Traveller versions, if I could buy the exclusive rights to Traveller, I would start with Cepheus Engine mechanics (NOT Deluxe or Light), add in the CE Vehicle Design Guide, a star system generation system, a robot building system, and a few more pieces. Then I'd release several different backgrounds showing the possibilities of the system. Yeah, kinda like Mongoose is doing, but ... differently. And with lower prices!

What does CE do better to make you want to start there as the base?

Asking because I'm unfamiliar with CE other than it being a re-imagined set of Traveller rules.

What does CE do better to make you want to start there as the base?
Asking because I'm unfamiliar with CE other than it being a re-imagined set of Traveller rules.
In effect, it IS just a re-imagined set of Trav rules. Don't get me wrong, I love the Classic Traveller (CT) rules. I just think CE's organized better, and in one volume. But there are some changes from Classic Trav's rules that I like:
The consistent task target of 8+. I like the char gen better in CE, and I never cared for the expanded char gen from classic/Mega. Ship design has more choices. World gen has the starport modified by the world's population. Of course, these changes were in Mongoose's first version also, which is where CE came from.
I feel like I can make changes to CE more easily than with CT. But the good thing is, with CE, I can make my perfect system, even if it never leaves my hard drive.

In effect, it IS just a re-imagined set of Trav rules. Don't get me wrong, I love the Classic Traveller (CT) rules. I just think CE's organized better, and in one volume. But there are some changes from Classic Trav's rules that I like:
The consistent task target of 8+. I like the char gen better in CE, and I never cared for the expanded char gen from classic/Mega. Ship design has more choices. World gen has the starport modified by the world's population. Of course, these changes were in Mongoose's first version also, which is where CE came from.
I feel like I can make changes to CE more easily than with CT. But the good thing is, with CE, I can make my perfect system, even if it never leaves my hard drive.

Ok so basically improved organization and some minor changes that fit your preferences better. I hear about CE but I never really see any reasons given for why one might prefer it over one of the other versions.

A lot of Traveller specific groups are very careful about edition warring to the point that differences between any of the variants are rarely discussed.

Jumping back to 40k Stumpy ed....

Space marines, Custodes, Thunder Warriors, Ogryns...All one and the same. Sure there are differences in intellect and equipment but this is a matter of upbringing and nurture. those raised on Holy Terra are nurtured in a more effective manner than those left to raise themselves on the death planet Grimdark V. Also their gene implants might come with...drawbacks. Like sudden, massive organ failure or berserk frenzy type drawbacks. Again this is largely dependent on the background of the big lunk and the techniques used to raise them. A trained surgeon on Cadia is better equipped to add the necessary gene mods than a zealous priest on Medieval hive world 7.

The Imperial guard are raised from whatever scum and villany can be spared from each tithed planet. So whilst the likes of Cadia might send their best troopers, Necromunda is more than glad to offload the various gangs that disturb the status quo and it's a lot easier to round up and pack off the beastmen, mutants and ratlings that make the place look untidy. Of course, you say mutant, I say three armed lovechild of the Shadow of the Warp but tomay-to - tomah-to.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back