If you had to choose one edition of D&D....

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

If the only RPG you could play was official D&D, which edition would you choose?

• Total voters
I don't really give this theory too much support - it proposes that whatever music you listened to in your early teens remains your favourite music:
However maybe it's the same this with rpg editions?
Given the rise of OSR and the return of old school games etc
Who knows? - they may be onto something
Just putting it out there! :grin:

I’d say this study of music is true of casual music fans but not for those really into music. There’s a lot of music I liked as a teen I now find silly and my appreciation for genres like say country and disco has grown a lot.

It is also a bit different when it comes to rpgs because when most of us were teens the number of available rpgs was much smaller than what we could lay our hands on and the number of rpgs today is astronomically higher.

Like Baulderstone Baulderstone my appreciation for Basic D&D was something I came to realize on the cusp of my twenties when I bought the RC and realized I liked it more than 1e or 2e.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize how much I appreciated the B/X rules until I actually ran Labyrinth Lord for the first time with some kids this week.

Holy shit do I love the simplicity of that game.

I’d say this study of music is true of casual music fans but not for those really into music. There’s a lot of music I liked as a teen I now find silly and my appreciation for genres like say country and disco has grown a lot.

It is also a bit different when it comes to rpgs because when most of us were teens the number of available rpgs was much smaller than what we could lay our hands on and the number of rpgs today is astronomically higher.

I had to chime in about this tangent.

Music: my dad exposed me to a lot of different kinds of music as a child. I remember his record playing was pretty diverse: classical, rock opera, Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, the Beatles, movie soundtracks and then Indian Sitar after playing Bob Marley. While the first music my friends got me into was Heavy Metal (Metallica and Megadeth, specifically), I've found that my early exposure to such a variety has affected me up to now. My Apple music library is pretty schizophrenic. I'm talking Norwegian Black metal next to 70s Soul/Funk next to New Age next to Baroque next to 90s Trip Hop next to Goa Trance next to Rockabilly etc... you get the idea.

RPGs: my first RPG loves were WFRP 1st edition, Vampire the Masquerade 2nd ed, and d6 Star Wars (WEG 2nd with the blue Vader cover) and I admit that these choices have also affected me. Mostly simplistic and fully of thematic character. These are my favorite styles today, I... think?

Like Baulderstone Baulderstone my appreciation for Basic D&D was something I came to realize on the cusp of my twenties when I bought the RC and realized I liked it more than 1e or 2e.
I had to chime in about this tangent.

Music: my dad exposed me to a lot of different kinds of music as a child. I remember his record playing was pretty diverse: classical, rock opera, Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, the Beatles, movie soundtracks and then Indian Sitar after playing Bob Marley. While the first music my friends got me into was Heavy Metal (Metallica and Megadeth, specifically), I've found that my early exposure to such a variety has affected me up to now. My Apple music library is pretty schizophrenic. I'm talking Norwegian Black metal next to 70s Soul/Funk next to New Age next to Baroque next to 90s Trip Hop next to Goa Trance next to Rockabilly etc... you get the idea.

RPGs: my first RPG loves were WFRP 1st edition, Vampire the Masquerade 2nd ed, and d6 Star Wars (WEG 2nd with the blue Vader cover) and I admit that these choices have also affected me. Mostly simplistic and fully of thematic character. These are my favorite styles today, I... think?

The mistake in the premise is that they cofuse putting a record on with actually listening to music. Relatively few people do the latter. Enjoying music as background noise is fine, but it's not the same thing.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back