Votes: 1 1.1%
  • BLASPHEMER!!!

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • HERETIC!!!!!!

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Whatevs ...

Votes: 37 40.2%

• Total voters
...and someone still needs to explain to me how they differ from Gifts:thumbsup:!

Nah, we don't kick living souls out, don't you worry! But hey, the way in is easy, guys, you should totally come:angel:!
I believe this is a genuine SRD here

Only it is for MRQ I, so look for Legendary Abilities instead of Heroic Abilities.

It included stuff like Disease Immunity, or Healing Hands, that sort of stuff - designed to emulate DnD class abilities. While some of the Monk stuff was missing it can easily be punted from DnD to MRQ I / MRQ II / Legend, with only a few changes.

They were essentially designed to give characters a bit more oomph. Don't get me wrong, Gifts still exist in this version of RQ / Legend, and are to some extent interchangeable, it is just that generally Gifts are from the gods.

I believe this is a genuine SRD here

Only it is for MRQ I, so look for Legendary Abilities instead of Heroic Abilities.
When I wrote a SciFi version of Legend, I simply copied all the text from the PDFs, imported them to Word and changed things to be SciFi oriented. It was very easy. In fact, you could do that and not change anything, giving you an SRD in one document.

I'm running Mythras at the moment and like it a lot. But we only play three or four times a year, and I'm beginning to wonder if the special effect system is worth it. Special effects revolutionize combat in the sense that hit point attrition is just one of many things that can happen, but it is also something of a barrier when we get together to play. The players have to relearn the system each time and I as a GM feel that it is really hard to balance opposition because the difference between way too easy and a TPK feels very narrow.

Because of that I've been considering switching to some of the simpler BRP games. OpenQuest is a good alternative, but I really hate the character sheet. I'm sorry, but I can't run a game with a sheet that looks like my tax returns (I'm petty that way). Magic World is great, with lots of content, but there are som fiddly bits in there that I don't like (I don't need extra complication of the "special success" for instance. Calculating 5% and 20% on the fly is a hassle, and I prefer straight 10% criticals).

So I'm actually digging Elric! at the moment. This game has so much attitude that I can't help but getting enthusiastic. It feels heroic and brutal and very easy to run. And the rules seems perfect for my Metropolis campaign.

I'm running Mythras at the moment and like it a lot. But we only play three or four times a year, and I'm beginning to wonder if the special effect system is worth it. Special effects revolutionize combat in the sense that hit point attrition is just one of many things that can happen, but it is also something of a barrier when we get together to play. The players have to relearn the system each time and I as a GM feel that it is really hard to balance opposition because the difference between way too easy and a TPK feels very narrow.

Because of that I've been considering switching to some of the simpler BRP games. OpenQuest is a good alternative, but I really hate the character sheet. I'm sorry, but I can't run a game with a sheet that looks like my tax returns (I'm petty that way). Magic World is great, with lots of content, but there are som fiddly bits in there that I don't like (I don't need extra complication of the "special success" for instance. Calculating 5% and 20% on the fly is a hassle, and I prefer straight 10% criticals).
Regarding the Mythras Combat Effects, it comes down to whether it's too cumbersome for you as a GM, but you may be able to help make things feel much lighter for the players. I've found that players probably just need to be only vaguely aware of the combat options, and I would get them to view the combat effects lists preferably during downtime, and not in an actual combat scene. It's the best way to keep the momentum going, otherwise someone is bound to be reading that chart like it's a cafe menu, and the whole pacing grinds to a halt.
They don't need to know the entire list and all the effects, they'll remember a few effects they like and that's all that's needed

Just let the players come up with descriptions of whatever they want to do, and the GM can often match an appropriate combat effect that fits the players' descriptions, or just handwave it, it's no biggie. The GM can also tell the players when they have if they have rolled well enough to be able to describe more than one main action in their narrative.
This way feels pretty loose at the table and the narrative is quite rich, the players don't get bogged down fumbling around scanning the combat effects table. I find most things they describe can usually be covered by the GM matching a combat effect to it. Anything outside the scope of the effects can usually be easily handwaved on the fly.

If matching combat effects to the player-character's descriptions feels too cumbersome for you as a GM, then yeah go with one of the lighter BRP games. I'ld recommend OpenQuest, but as you say, the character sheets can feel a little bland - unless you attach character portraits to them, then they're fine. However MagicWorld/Elric are still good options, and may be what you like. I never liked variable armour rolls, but that's personal taste.
So I'm actually digging Elric! at the moment. This game has so much attitude that I can't help but getting enthusiastic. It feels heroic and brutal and very easy to run.
Elric! was always fun. I actually preferred the earlier versions because the character sheets were simplier and felt more pulpy. The Games Workshop book of Elric! was really great, I'ld love to have a hardcover reprint of it.
There was also a decent version of Elric done for MRQ2, Elric of Melnibone, which would work perfectly with Legend and Mythras. So if you are after the Young Kingdoms setting, then you can easily run it with Mythras
And the rules seems perfect for my Metropolis campaign.
...ah a homebrew version of Metropolis!
Any of the BRP games could work with something like this.
Cool, you'll definately have to sprout off a bit more about this, we're the right audience here!

Last edited:
I have the first edition of Elric!. It's a fine game, but I prefer Stormbringer (I have the old boxed set plus a couple of the companions). The wackiness and complete lack of concern for game balance just works better, in my opinion (and experience).

Just let the players come up with descriptions of whatever they want to do, and the GM can often match an appropriate combat effect that fits the players' descriptions, or just handwave it, it's no biggie. The GM can also tell the players when they have if they have rolled well enough to be able to describe more than one main action in their narrative.
This way feels pretty loose at the table and the narrative is quite rich, the players don't get bogged down fumbling around scanning the combat effects tables, and I find most things they describe can usually be covered by the GM matching a combat effect to it. Anything outside the scope of the effects can usually be easily handwaved on the fly.
This is how I ran Mythras and it was great. Went very smoothly.

Mythras “light”?

Imperative is a step in the right direction, but I’m wondering if there’s another approach to character specialization beyond Professional skills.

There’s always some negotiating with players and confusion about why a Standard skill couldn’t cover it. There are some fine houserules out there, but I wish there was another way.

Also some Standard skills are rolled a hell of a lot more often than others (the Perception problem).

On other words… any tips on how to overcome my personal frustrations here?

None officially done up, but I can tell you professional skills are designed to be removable. My general rule of thumb is if a standard skill looks like it can do it, a professional skill covering the same ground does it one step easier. This incentivizes it a bit. I might also toss in an extra benefit, though minor.

with perception specifically, I only roll that to counter stealth or conceal. I try not to roll it to notice things, especially if there is time. Instead I have them roll to understand the meaning - often this is a lore skill, but sometimes others like courtesy.

you might take a look at Revolution d100s system for skills. You would have to redo how many skill points people get but it would work. It functionally has the standard skills with specializations.

None officially done up, but I can tell you professional skills are designed to be removable. My general rule of thumb is if a standard skill looks like it can do it, a professional skill covering the same ground does it one step easier. This incentivizes it a bit. I might also toss in an extra benefit, though minor.
AHHAHA so simple. I was looking at it the other way (ie, using a Standard skill instead but one step HARDER). I like your method better.
with perception specifically, I only roll that to counter stealth or conceal. I try not to roll it to notice things, especially if there is time. Instead I have them roll to understand the meaning - often this is a lore skill, but sometimes others like courtesy.
Again, a great way to handle this. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. Works well in other games as well.

AHHAHA so simple. I was looking at it the other way (ie, using a Standard skill instead but one step HARDER). I like your method better.

Again, a great way to handle this. Can't believe I didn't think of this before. Works well in other games as well.
Don't always agree with Raleel Raleel but when I don't I find myself checking myself first before assuming he's wrong. lol Always appreciate his insights and thoughts on game mechanics.

you might take a look at Revolution d100s system for skills. You would have to redo how many skill points people get but it would work. It functionally has the standard skills with specializations.
Man I wish I lived in an alternate universe where Revolution d100 took off and had a ton of supplements and community support.

Because you kind of have 3 BRP Threads

- continuation or continuation but simplified (OpenQuest)
- BRP cleaned up with some modern ideas (CoC 7e, Delta Green / Misery, Mythras)
- BRP with the wheels and engine pulled off and big steps taken (Comae, Revolution d100)

I do it the other way too, depending on situation, but I prefer the carrot to the stick much of the time. It encourages diversification.
It should, I stole it from Gumshoe ;)
Don't always agree with Raleel Raleel but when I don't I find myself checking myself first before assuming he's wrong. lol Always appreciate his insights and thoughts on game mechanics.
Far too kind. I make many mistakes, even in Mythras.

Man I wish I lived in an alternate universe where Revolution d100 took off and had a ton of supplements and community support.

Because you kind of have 3 BRP Threads
Perhaps 4 BRP threads:
- continuation or continuation but simplified (OpenQuest)
- continuation with amalgamation of pre-exisiting ideas (RuneQuest Adventures in Glorantha)
- BRP cleaned up with some modern ideas (CoC 7e, Delta Green / Misery, Mythras)
- BRP with the wheels and engine pulled off and big steps taken (Comae, Revolution d100)
I intially added "continuation with cumbersome amalgamation of pre-exisiting ideas", but I guess that was too subjectively negative, heh heh :grin:

Last edited:
Perhaps 4 BRP threads

- continuation with amalgamation of pre-exisiting ideas (RuneQuest Adventures in Glorantha)

I intially added "continuation with cumbersome amalgamation of pre-exisiting ideas", but I guess that was too subjectively negative
I'd say 5 - "continuing playing pre-existing materials" is at least as valid as a choice as any OSR game, in my book. And due to the closeness of d100 systems, you actually get to use new materials with those, too, much more easily than backporting 5e or PF2 material to DCC:grin:!

I'd say 5 - "continuing playing pre-existing materials" is at least as valid as a choice as any OSR game, in my book. And due to the closeness of d100 systems, you actually get to use new materials with those, too, much more easily than backporting 5e or PF2 material to DCC:grin:!
Where will the madness end! MOAR BRP Based threads!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back