In Search of a Supers System

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What's the deal with all the M&M rulebooks? There's the hero handbook, the deluxe hero handbook, and now the basic hero handbook? Which one is it

What's the deal with all the M&M rulebooks? There's the hero handbook, the deluxe hero handbook, and now the basic hero handbook? Which one is it
The Hero’s Handbook is the original 3e book that has been discontinued. Softcover

The Deluxe Hero’s Handbook is the hardcover printing with errata and some new content.

The Basic Hero’s Handbook is a simplified book with a curated character creation process for newbies. You start with an archetype and pick options to make your character.

Does M&M have any supplements that aim at Japanese style superheroes? Stuff like Claymore, Kamen Rider, and the various 'Magical Girl' comics.

I wouldn't recommend the Marvel Heroic Role-playing game. But it was specifically designed not to be a game I like. I don't like systems that are trying to emulate a genre instead of being the physics of the world if you get me. I'd make sure your players are onboard for it before you jump to it.

I think for 5E players Heroes Unlimited isn't a big jump and I think it's a fine game. I'll even send you the rulebook for free if you're in the United States. I think after making characters and having a session or two you guys will be hooked.

Does M&M have any supplements that aim at Japanese style superheroes? Stuff like Claymore, Kamen Rider, and the various 'Magical Girl' comics.

They did for 2e. I can’t remember the name of it off the top of my head - like the Anime Handbook or something like that.

Sentinels' tempts me, but I really hope they hire a good editor. Because as much as I think Cam has great ideas, he often stumbles over explaining them well.* (One of the reasons Marvel Heroic is not on my list. It needed more explanation and clarity. My group had the same issue with Smallville.)

It's the same editor: Amanda Valentine. She's one of the best editors in the business. I often tell people that if you don't like something I wrote, it's my fault. If you like something I wrote, it's because Amanda edited it.

Cheers,
Cam

It's the same editor: Amanda Valentine. She's one of the best editors in the business. I often tell people that if you don't like something I wrote, it's my fault. If you like something I wrote, it's because Amanda edited it.

Cheers,
Cam

Ok. We both need to work on this, is there a class?

Though I love tweaking OpenD6 for specific genres, for supers games these days I would probably go with Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion.

One of these days I would LOVE to run some Wild Talents (and spinoff) games, but that's a difficult system to sell to most of the people I encounter.

One of these days I would LOVE to run some Wild Talents (and spinoff) games, but that's a difficult system to sell to most of the people I encounter.

That's one I've wanted to play to help me get a feel for the system. Some games I pick up better after playing, and this is one (unlike others where I can read the book and get it right away)

Probably not what you want OP, but I want to suggest Masks on the basis that it does something pretty unique among Supers games: it's about character's personal dramas, not powers. The archetypes are like the ex-villain/criminal who must deal with his/her dark past; or the one physically deformed by his mutation who now must cope with extreme social prejudice wherever he goes; or the one with such extreme powers that each time he uses it collateral damage (sometimes with life cost) issues. And the system pushes the melodrama that emerges from dealing with those issues to the front.

The only limitation is that it's a game about teenager supers (all characters must be under 20) "coming of age" and it would be difficult to take it out of that context, which could be a bug or a feature depending of what you want.

So I've been looking over an older rules light game called The Supercrew. The rulebook is designed like a comic book, which I think makes it more fun to read. It's definitely in the rules light camp. What I like is that opposition isn't necessarily other villains. You can also stat out natural disasters and such. There was a big thread on rpg.net where later in the thread, people were sharing all kind of concepts, including runaway trains and such. I'm considering running this over on Discord in the near future

Missed this thread the first time around. I'll chime in to second that Mutants & Masterminds is pretty easy to run/wing. Character generation can be problematic for non rules-wonks, but that's largely addressed by the recent Basic Heroes Handbook.

I'll also second that Masks is fun and easy to run.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back