In which I get back into painting miniatures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Hey @ Picaroon Jack Picaroon Jack I hope you are feeling better and ready to continue painting soon.
Yeah, as soon as summer got here my kids are home and all my "me time" was disrupted. Not to mention prepping for and then attending a week long larp.

My World Eaters are sitting right where I left them. LOL I'll get back to them when a routine emerges.

Thanks for checking in, Brock!

Last edited:
We were chatting about white power armour done using blue tones. I ran across this apothecary in my FB feed that's a nice clean example.

1688797143821.png

1688797191341.png

The blue isn't super poppy but i think it add something to the white palette.

I thought I was going to have more time in the summer, but with my kids not in school I'll have to wait until they go back in August.

But I want to try some of that subtle layering of whites/grays for sure.

Don't you hate it, when you want to check the paint scheme of an older unit that...
1691600639104.png

Anyways, I finally fired my first shots in the War against the Grey!
363496649_799415715302860_7451300960456003408_n.jpg

363537322_6409623142462016_7925700218861292415_n.jpg

The bases still need some work, and cleaning up some detail on the model, but overall I'm happy with the paint scheme I came up with for the Parasite.
The Termagaunts were mostly standard colours for 'Nids.

Gaunts: Citadel Contrast
Parasite of Mortex: Army Painter, WarColours and a wee bit of Citadel.

Today I painted the very first Space Marine in my life (he's the guy manning the flamer).

Normaly the free GW Store minis are pre-assembled, but this time I had to cut the bits from the sprue and glue them myself, under the deadline of a 30min. lunch break, and without my good glasses. The result was this.

20231205_234053.png
And now, at home, I tried my hand for the first time at wet palettes, and diluting the paint instead of applying it straight from the pot. See what I accomplished...

The Fire effect needs some work/practice, but for a mini that fits in a matchbox I'm not unhappy with my work.

"Nutrisco et Extinguo!"

20231207_232801.png
20231207_232634.png

Last edited:
This thread is inspirational to me.

My son was making some initial noises about "tiny toy soldiers", so I thought that he was going to be heading into Games Workshop games. I thought this was an excellent idea as it would get him away from playing video games and spending far too much time watching (of all things) YouTube. It also gave me an excuse to nerd out, do something creative with him, and paint some minis--something that I have not done for over 30 years.

I bought some GW sets and nearly had a heart-attack at the cost of that and some basic materials for getting started with painting. I think that I dropped almost $500. :crossed:

Excellent! That gave me an excuse to get a 3d printer (resin). Woot.

And now I have miniatures that I based (in white, stupidly, but that's what we always did back in the day) and I'm trying to find the time to paint them. A collection of Imperial-adjacent, some Eldar adjacent, Santa Claus, the Green Knight, and a sheep in a wolf mech (go figure).

Edit: Now all I've got to do is buy an electron microscope so I can see these well enough to actually paint them. :shock:

miniatures_base_paint.jpg

Last edited:
... first shots in the War against the Grey!...
Of course another way to reduce my Pile of Shame is to concede some territory. So I sold the Bad Moon Loonshrine that was collecting dust since the beginning of the pandemic (and even made a small profit by selling at today's MSRP).
One down, 99996 to go....

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back