In Which I Pout And Feel Sorry For Myself (aka Fuck Gaming Communities)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Lately I've been very tempted to get into FFG's L5R living card game. I liked the original, when i played twenty years ago!

So I hit up the community on FB, in various iterations, including broader communities on the FFG page and even discord.

I've asked three separate instances of the local group, which is pretty sizable for a gaming group, and not one response. Not fucking one. I've asked when people play, if there are people (more) local to me. Crickets

This breaks my gaming heart so right here I'm pouting, fuck it.

That said, this is a trend I'm seeing in games. All these wonderful products come out and no fucker wants to ever play. It was the same when they did the Warhammer Conquest game. I'd been looking for a 40k ccg or something like that - an angle to consume to immerse myself in the universe without playing the minis game - for ages. Exactly the same. I repeatedly posted looking for games and was cold shouldered. It's cliquey; they all play with each other they've no interest in even responding.

So it's either that or games that just get short shipped or under stocked. Honestly there might be an embarassment of riches in terms of a golden age of gaming, but to actually find a game? If your experience is anything like mine, fageddabouddit!

All I need now is someone to persuade me L5R the LCG is shit anyway (i tried it, I liked it. It's really rather atmospheric and classy)

End rant

I feel the same with RPG gamers. Either they've got a full group and need no more, or I can't seem to find more than 2 who are up for it. . .and now that I think about it, I've never had more than one other dedicated person (my brother) to play regular online video games with.

You forgot to mention the flaky gamers who eagerly sign up for Game X, act very enthusiastic about coming to play Game X, confirm date/time/location of Game X, then don't turn up for Game X.

A slight variation is the gamer who shows up late and utterly unprepared and announces he has to leave soon because of XYZ.

Still, I've found a handful of people I've enjoyed gaming with via game store bulletin boards and the online equivalent, so there are a few needles in those haystacks.

I've definitely scored a couple of quality gamers. Both have never gamed before so I'm thankful (appropriate for today) for those guys, but we've just not been able to expand the group.

Stepping booths will bring about a rennaisance for many games with scattered communities.

gaming is thankless unrewarding and expensive.

Which is unfortunate because I do love it

I also love card gaming of the LCG/CCG variety. The whole hobby though has gotten utterly bizarre. Kickstarter rules everything and games are now earthshattering mjonir heavy pandora's boxes that end up on ebay or the shelf. It's crazy

Do local game stores in your area run tournaments? That's how most people I know find the card game people they game with.

In general, though, whenever I can't find gamers, I make them. Indoctrinate your friends. Lure in co-workers. USe an online dating service to invite folks for an evening's entertainment under the pretense of a "date".

Do local game stores in your area run tournaments? That's how most people I know find the card game people they game with.

In general, though, whenever I can't find gamers, I make them. Indoctrinate your friends. Lure in co-workers. USe an online dating service to invite folks for an evening's entertainment under the pretense of a "date".
Pacesetter and chill?

Heh, I think Nobby was making a joke about the bedroom roleplaying Goreans get up to.
I couldn't possibly comment - but I certainly wouldn't recommend that you google 'Gorean role playing' on a work computer.
It is a roleplaying forum, right?
Depends on what you mean by role playing . . .

[Freeze frame and record scratch sounds]

Wait - You wrote a Gor role playing game without noticing this double entendre? Are you sure you're English?

is sitting with his family eating turkey served on unsold copies of Dragon Dice.
Wait! there is another gamer here who plays Dragon Dice (originally from TSR now from SFR)!?! I thought I was the last one, I even read Cast of Fate fiction book to get the exclusive Dragon Slayer Dice. I hopped onto to the new revival kickstarter for the swamp stalkers and found out they made a whole new faction Treefolk but I haven't been able to play them because nobody in the city plays the game (or at leasts admits to having ever played). Well good luck to them in getting a Dragon Dice game going, I'm going to try and get my game group to give the game a chance in the spring.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back