Input on Changing the Forum Structure

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Eh, I always thought it was silly a whole bunch of Terminators looked the same anyways, would make them lousy at their job. That wasn't a thing prior to T2. Even in the original film, we see a Terminator with a different face.
I thought that was interesting. I still am not convinced that two terminators were actually sent back in time instead of the first one changing things by leaving the arm thus making Judgement Day still come, but with higher tech. After T2, they could still send Arnold because John recognizes him, so it’s possible that both Skynet and John would send him.

For a CGI extravaganza, they should have had both the good and bad terminator be Arnie.

Identical terminators would work to some degree. I'm guessing the shattered remnants of humanity don't have the most organized intelligence sharing. The Phillip K. Dick story "Second Variety", which was clearly one the main inspirations, has killer robots disguised as humans. In that story, they have identified robots labelled as First Variety and Third Variety, which implies there is a Second Variety they haven't identified yet.

Ideally, your terminator isn't going to leave witnesses behind to tell people what they look like anyway.

I thought that was interesting. I still am not convinced that two terminators were actually sent back in time instead of the first one changing things by leaving the arm thus making Judgement Day still come, but with higher tech. After T2, they could still send Arnold because John recognizes him, so it’s possible that both Skynet and John would send him.

For a CGI extravaganza, they should have had both the good and bad terminator be Arnie.

Didn't they do that in the last film? Have a good and bad arnie? I dunno, I jumped the franchise a long time ago - liked the first film as a closed time loop, but the second film screwed everything up.

Didn't they do that in the last film? Have a good and bad arnie? I dunno, I jumped the franchise a long time ago - liked the first film as a closed time loop, but the second film screwed everything up.
It was the one before last, and Bad Arnie lasted about a minute, but yes.

Yeah, I remember Kyle Reese saying in the first movie that the first terminators had rubber skin instead of the Arnold model, which is the T800. Then there was the T1000 (liquid metal), the TX (liquid metal exterior with metal chassis), and the T3000 (liquid metal exterior with a split chassis) if I remember right.

I don't rememeber any of the Cyberdyne models doing the split chassis, and the LEGION terminators use a different nomenclature-- the one in Dark Fate is a Rev-9. Also, I really need to run that game.

Maybe I’m thinking of the Rev-9 because he was able to separate his liquid form from his chassis and basically be two terminators at once but they are weaker separately.

Dunno, there's also a ton of supplemental material I've never read.

To me, the forum is all one big thing under a link called "New Posts", where I Ctrl-Click on anything I find possibly interesting, then when I've gone through the list click "Mark forums read". I guess that means I don't find any value in the separation of sub-forums or feel the need for more (or any, for that matter). On the other hand, the ability to do that means it doesn't bother me if more sub-forums make people happy (as long as I can view them in that "View New Posts" manner.)
This is the pattern I have developed as well.

To me, the forum is all one big thing under a link called "New Posts", where I Ctrl-Click on anything I find possibly interesting, then when I've gone through the list click "Mark forums read". I guess that means I don't find any value in the separation of sub-forums or feel the need for more (or any, for that matter). On the other hand, the ability to do that means it doesn't bother me if more sub-forums make people happy (as long as I can view them in that "View New Posts" manner.)
me as well. i always run by new posts. I look for topics that interest me.

me as well. i always run by new posts. I look for topics that interest me.
You could in theory rewrite the whole thing to just go by new posts and make tags mandatory but suggested.

The next to last has a good and bad Arnie.
The most recent has a bad Arnie go good through self-reflection over time.

I don't think the forum needs restructuring just now, but I think it is inevitable if the user population grows a lot.

Looking at places like NeoGAF, for example, that I frequent a lot.... that forum is practically impossible to navigate because every new post in a thread or new thread gets drowned away from the "front" page in a manner of hours unless it is a hyper popular thread.
What this leads to is less-popular topics getting even less traffic since more "mainstream" ones take all the limelight and so won't even be seen by people who'd otherwise be interested in them.

Generally, if all the threads on the first page of any sub-forum have new posts that have all been made in the last 24 hours or less, that's when I'd split further. To avoid people having to browse through "page 1-5" of a forum just to see things they might've missed since 2 days ago or so.
A lot of people prefer to browse by (sub-)forum and not using features like "show new posts/threads".

Last edited:
This may have been brought up already but if you reorganize the board, I hope there is a way to remove the many sticky threads in many of the sections. It's been a pet peeve of mine to have to scroll past 3 to 7 sticky threads when browsing through the sections. I understand announcements and such but there's a tendency for many rpg forums to leave sticky threads up forever. RPGsite and TBP are absolutely terrible for it which gives me another reason not to bother much with them.

I'm getting old and these sticky threads need to get off my lawn.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back