(Interest Check) Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
The year is 1870. The place is Saguaro, a boomtown east of the Santa Cruz River (Rio Santa Cruz) and west of the Santa Rita Mountains (Sierra Santa Rita) in Pima County, Arizona Territory.
Tucson is about 20 miles (or a day's ride) north and the U.S.-Mexico border is about 40 miles (or two days' ride) south of Saguaro.
Saguaro is conveniently located to take advantage of the silver mining in the mountains and the cattle ranching in the valleys and has doubled in size in the past two years. The ranchers are always shorthanded and cowpunchers are flocking to the area to work for brands both large and small. The civic leaders see no reason that Saguaro shouldn't someday soon surpass nearby Tucson in importance. The only downside is that prosperity attracts ruffians and rowdies like flies to honey and the town marshal has his hands full. Rumor has it he may be hiring a deputy soon.
Rio Santa Cruz

Neither the telegraph nor the locomotive have yet come to the territory, but Wells Fargo runs a regular stagecoach to Saguaro, by way of Tucson.
Sierra Santa Rita

Saguaro has three saloons, a bank, a barber, a general store, two hotels, a restaurant, a livery stable, an assayer, a blacksmith, a jail, a trading post, a Wells Fargo station with a post office, and a doctor. Just a few miles outside of town, there's even a church and cemetery at La Misión Santísimo Nombre de María.
La Misión Santísimo Nombre de María

I'm using 2nd edition Boot Hill and incorporating the horse rules from 3rd edition so horses can have their own traits and tricks. Roll up your character by the book (i.e., randomly), decide where he (or she) is from and why he (or she) is in Saguaro, and spend your $150 starting cash on your gear. Spend it all, or all but a couple of dollars, as nothing motivates adventure-seeking as much as poverty. Then describe your basic physical appearance and any distinguishing characteristics: tall, short, redheaded, beady eyes, handlebar mustache, whatever. If you want to, you can post a photo here as well to help us better picture your character: images from Western films and TV shows tend to be handy for that. Also roll up a spare character as gunfights are quite lethal.
Make sure you check the price chart to see if your preferred firearms were available in 1870; if not, buy something that was. Note also that you can describe your firearm as a ".44 Colt Dragoon," but in game terms all single-action revolvers are the same.
I'd like from 3 to 6 players who can post with regularity and, just as important, buy into the setting and genre. Once we have enough players, I'll populate the town with NPCs and post the in-character thread. We'll keep this thread open for general questions and comments so as not to clog up the in-character thread with that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Come on D! What on Earth would make you think folks would be interested in a silly old Western?!?

I'm in. I'll roll someone up tomorrow. Today is going to be a busy Saturday.

Second edition... *digs through PDFs* Hmm, so just roll 1d100 for each stat, right?

*eyeballs thread with envy*

I'm not going to join in. My flakiness would spoil the fun for others. But if I did, Dumarest, would you allow some kind of pistol-wielding clergy type character connected to the Misión?

I'm in, and thanks again for doing this.

I'll post a character this evening.

Second edition... *digs through PDFs* Hmm, so just roll 1d100 for each stat, right?
Yes, and be sure to record the dice rolls and apply Initial Modification, if applicable, to determine your final actual ability scores and description thereof.
Also make sure to record your First Shot Determination for every weapon you have, since different weapons will have different Speed Modifiers.

Last edited:
*eyeballs thread with envy*

I'm not going to join in. My flakiness would spoil the fun for others. But if I did, Dumarest, would you allow some kind of pistol-wielding clergy type character connected to the Misión?
That would really depend on how the player intended to play it. The Jesuit friars certainly wouldn't condone gunplay, so I'd need to know what the PC's connection is to the mission and what his goals are.

If anyone wants to buy unusual items, I'm using this price list from an old Dragon magazine. You're all assumed to have boots, a hat, and ordinary clothing for free.
20190302_102440.jpg

In a little while I'm also going to be posting the house rules for determining English literacy and whether you can speak or write any additional languages.

If your character concept means your PC should be able to read and write in English, then he can do so.*

If you're not sure or want to leave it to chance, roll %. lf you roll ≤ 20, you are among the 20% of Americans who were illiterate in 1870. (I'm not differentiating between ethnic groups.)

If it fits your character concept, you can roll % again to see if you speak Spanish. A roll of ≤ 50 means you speak Spanish as well. A roll of ≤ 25 means you are also literate in Spanish.

If it fits your character concept, you can roll % again to see if you speak the language of a nearby Indian tribe. A roll of ≤ 25 means you speak one of the following (your choice):

(1) Papago and Pima are two dialects of the same language. A speaker of Papago can understand Pima as easily as an American can understand Australian English.

(2) Western Apache has several dialects but we'll treat them all as just "Apache."

(3) Navajo is related to Apache but distinct enough to be considered separate.

(4) Yuma, Mohave, Yavapai, and Maricopa are all part of the same language family that we will simplify as "Yuma." We'll handle them as mutually intelligible.

Note that none of the Indian languages has a written form at this time.

* If you are playing a Mexican PC, you speak Spanish and your chance of Spanish literacy is ≤ 80% if you choose to determine literacy by a random roll. Offsetting that, you automatically speak English as well without having to roll for it. If you are literate in Spanish, a roll of ≤ 25 means you are also literate in English. If it fits your character concept, you can roll % again to see if you speak the language of a nearby Indian tribe with the same chances as anyone else.

Last edited:
Oooh! I'm in! I won't be able to roll up a character until next Monday or Tuesday though if that's okay.

Oooh! I'm in! I won't be able to roll up a character until next Monday or Tuesday though if that's okay.
Yes, that's perfectly fine. :thumbsup:

Once we have the PCs rolled up I'll post the in-character thread and dangle some opportunities before you all. :gunslinger:

220px-Ben_Johnson_The_Wild_Bunch_publicity_photo.JPG

Tybalt Crenshaw, The Gaunt Cattle Baron
Tybalt had tried to do a good job leading the cattle drive but after a surprise cliff shattered the herd he was left a gaunt shell of his former self. He comes to the area with the last of his cattle trying to somehow find a way to recoup his losses. english speaker out of Ohio his brother Mercutio is still out there search for the lost herd.
speed 90
gun accuracy 36
throw accuracy 19
strength 84
bravery 96
experience 73
first shot determination 24
first knife throw determination 21
hit gun determination 62
knife hit determination 57

stuff
poor horse Baxter
saddle bridle and pads
Oxen #1 Bessie
Oxen #2 Candice
SAR5
2box of ammunition
holster and gun belt
5 hunting knives (one strapped to each limb one on the belt)

Last edited:
Tybalt Crenshaw, The Gaunt Cattle Baron
Tybalt had tried to do a good job leading the cattle drive but after a surprise cliff shattered the herd he was left a gaunt shell of his former self. He comes to the area with the last of his cattle trying to somehow find a way to recoup his losses. english speaker out of Ohio his brother Mercutio is still out there search for the lost herd.
speed 90
gun accuracy 36
strength 84
bravery 96
experience 73

stuff
poor horse Baxter
saddle bridle and pads
Oxen #1 Bessie
Oxen #2 Candice
SAR5
2box of ammunition
holster and gun belt
5 hunting knives (one strapped to each limb one on the belt)
I guess their parents were fans of Shakespeare. :wink:

Did you apply your modifiers and generate your First Shot & Hit Determination scores?

speed 90
gun accuracy 36
strength 84
bravery 96
experience 73
first shot determination 24
hit determination 96

If those scores are after modification, you'd get +12 for Speed 90, +4 for Bravery 96, and +8 because an SAR is "Fast," for a First Shot Rating of 24 with an SAR.

To Hit would be +2 for Gun Accuracy 36, +15 for Bravery 96, and -5 for Experience 73. Adding that to the base 50% chance, your To Hit with a firearm should be 62%.

Looks like you forgot to roll a Throwing Accuracy score.

Last edited:
let me double check
first shot determination is the character's speed ablity score plus bravery speed modifier plus and the weapon speed modifier

hit determiniation is accuracy abililty score plus bravery accuracy modifier plus experience accuracy modifier and add 5O to the total

book says fearless ablity score modifer is fearless is +4. your right about the to hit I'll fix it now. oh a thanks for checking my math

12 +4 +8=24
+2+15-5= 12+50= 62

book says fearless ablity score modifer is fearless is +4. your right about the to hit I'll fix it now. oh a thanks for checking my math

12 +4 +8=24
+2+15-5= 12+50= 62
Yeah, 24, I accidentally typed +3 and carried it into the total. Your new figures are right. Don't forget to roll up your Throwing Accuracy score; it may come in handy with all those knives. :hurry:

knives average +5
12+4+5= 21
Average is +0...did you mean Fair (+5)?

To Hit for Throwing would be either:
+0 +15 (Bravery) -5 (Experience) = 60%
Or
+5 +15 (Bravery) -5 (Experience) = 65%

Count me in! I already have a few characters in mind.

Namely a cowboy (and veteran of the Civil War), a young man looking to find fortune in the silver mines, and a saloon girl (think Big Nose Kate or Miss Kitty)

Count me in! I already have a few characters in mind.

Namely a cowboy (and veteran of the Civil War), a young man looking to find fortune in the silver mines, and a saloon girl (think Big Nose Kate or Miss Kitty)
Roll 'em up and see what happens.

I'm going to roll the saloon girl's stats first. My hard copy of Boot Hill 2E is upstairs right now so I can't get to it at this moment, so I will edit in the modifiers and then do the other characters tomorrow morning.

Mary Rose
01 Mary Rose.jpg
Speed: 62
Bravery: 22
Strength: 13
Gun Accuracy: 43
Throwing Accuracy: 24
Experience: 82

Equipment: Knife, Derringer, Deck of Cards, Bottle of Tequila, Fan

Sex: Female
Nationality: Irish-American
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Religion: Roman Catholic
Born: June 18, 1851, Wexford, Ireland (raised in New York City before heading to Arizona on her 18th birthday)

my book (2ed pdf organey cover with a blue denim cowboy back on the cover) goes

very slow -10
slow-5
below average 0
average +5
fast +8
very fast +10

couldn't even find a fair on the price chart either.

my book (2ed pdf organey cover with a blue denim cowboy back on the cover) goes

very slow -10
slow-5
below average 0
average +5
fast +8
very fast +10

couldn't even find a fair on the price chart either.
Not sure what you're reading, but that would be Speed not Accuracy. Here's the relevant table:
20190302_185027.jpg

grumble grumble old school tsr almost as bad as palladium with layout. yes I see it give me a moment to correct.

I am definitely interested, can you define posting "with regularity"?

Also, been a minute since I perused and longer since I played. Is that a barrier to entry Y/N?

If I play, I was gonna go with a drunken preacher, but I can see that someone is already working that side of the street...

So, do you roll the abilities, THEN consult the "Initial Modification" table, THEN determine Ability Score, Modifiers. etc? Izzat right?

I am definitely interested, can you define posting "with regularity"?
At least every other day so other players don't get stuck waiting on one person.
Also, been a minute since I perused and longer since I played. Is that a barrier to entry Y/N?
No, all you really need to do is declare your intentions and chuck the dice; I'll resolve the outcome from there.
So, do you roll the abilities, THEN consult the "Initial Modification" table, THEN determine Ability Score, Modifiers. etc? Izzat right?
(1) Roll for Speed, Gun Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy, Strength, Bravery, and Experience. Record the results.
(2) Modify those results per the Initial Modification table. Record the results and note any +/- that will apply to your First Shot Determination and Hit Determination.
(3) Spend your $150 on gear. Note the Speed of any weapons you carry.
(4) Calculate and record First Shot Determination for each weapon you carry as they will be different and provide different tactical options.
(5) Calculate your Hit Determination for Guns and Throwing separately and record the results for each.
Shifting my character concept to "former slave"...
That's fine. Most anything goes as long as you have a way to tie your PC in with the others. Same goes for Doc Sammy Doc Sammy's saloon gal. All that really matters is that your characters are up for adventure.

near as I can figure but don't forget even though the gun accuracy and throwing accuracy share a table there two seperate scores
It's the part of character creation I have found is most frequently missed by players new to the game. Really it would have been better had they just printed the same table again under Throwing Accuracy to make sure nobody missed that they are separate scores.

At least every other day so other players don't get stuck waiting on one person.

No, all you really need to do is declare your intentions and chuck the dice; I'll resolve the outcome from there.

(1) Roll for Speed, Gun Accuracy, Throwing Accuracy, Strength, Bravery, and Experience. Record the results.
(2) Modify those results per the Initial Modification table. Record the results and note any +/- that will apply to your First Shot Determination and Hit Determination.
(3) Spend your $150 on gear. Note the Speed of any weapons you carry.
(4) Calculate and record First Shot Determination for each weapon you carry as they will be different and provide different tactical options.
(5) Calculate your Hit Determination for Guns and Throwing separately and record the results for each.

That's fine. Most anything goes as long as you have a way to tie your PC in with the others. Same goes for Doc Sammy Doc Sammy's saloon gal. All that really matters is that your characters are up for adventure.

Awesome, I'm in.

I'll make a backup character later. For now, I'd like y'all to meet Eugene.

1ebbb9.jpeg

SPEED 42
GUN ACCURACY 76
THROWING ACCURACY 86
STRENGTH 73
BRAVERY 96
EXPERIENCE 93

Weapon / First Shot / Hit / Speed/ Ammo

KN / 11 / 77 / Average /NA
2D / 11 / 74 / Average / 1 box
SAR6 / 14 / 74 / Fast / 2 boxes
9C / 1 / 74 / Slow / 2 boxes

EQUIPMENT: Poor Horse named "Lincoln" (STR 13, COO 6, INT 5, LUC 14) Skills: Cutting, Swimming
Saddle, bridle, pads
Ammo
Lariat
Playing cards
$10
Boots, hat, clothes

NAME: Eugene (given, real name unknown)
SEX: Male
RACE: African-American
HAIR: Black
EYES: Brown
RELIGION: Christian
BORN Possibly Missouri, date unknown
NOTES: Brought to Arizona Territory by the CSA during the Civil War. Stayed in the Territory after war's end. Hopes someday to make his way to the Northeastern United States and own land. Can read and write English well enough; speaks conversational Spanish. Polite but inwardly distrustful of many. Respects Indians, especially Apache, as fierce warriors and also as fellow victims of displacement and abuse. Comfortable and capable with farm work/labor, but prefers to use his wits and weapons to make money.

Edit: have changed some things to reflect the historicity of black cowboys, as well as my evolving character concept.

Last edited:
Okay, let's give this a try. I think I got all the numbers right...

Lars Nelson

A good-natured but not overly bright or industrious immigrant who came to America to seek his fortune. He initially lived with some relatives, but they recently got sick of him doing less than his share of work and more than his share of eating, and hinted strongly that his fortune was to be found somewhere not on their farm. He's drifted south with no particular plan but certain that something's bound to come up - this is, after all, the Land of Opportunity!

Sex: Male
Nationality: Swedish
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Religion: Lutheran
Born: Scania, Sweden

SPEED (29+15=44) +4
GUN ACCURACY (16+25=41) +2
THROWING ACCURACY (81+5=86) +15
STRENGTH (22+25=47) 14
BRAVERY (22+25=47) speed modifier +1, accuracy modifier +3
EXPERIENCE (24) accuracy modifier -10

Hunting knife (Average; First Shot Determination 10, Hit Determination 58; $4)
Single action revolver (6 shot, Fast; First Shot Determination 13, Hit Determination 45; $30)
100 bullets ($2)
Fair horse ($50)
Saddle, bridle and pads ($40)
Holster and gun belt ($5)
Guitar ($7)
Bible ($1)
Natural encyclopedia of questionable veracity ($1)
$13

I'll suggest the easiest party concept first,
1. Y'all are my Tybalt's cattle crew. minimal maintence for a two ox herd but it gives us a reason to be in the wilderness plus the hook of always being on the lookout for free cattle. in town we get legitimacy with the ranchers and merchants as we try to grow our herd before taking it to market. the payout when we cash in the herd is two shares for my character one share for every pc.

I can work with that!

Like I said, I have other characters in addition to the saloon girl (I need to update her stats to add the modifiers) and even she could be involved in the cattle ranching scheme as well.

After all, Mary left New York for Arizona so she could make her fortune and not have to live in the slums of NYC anymore.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back