(Interest Check) Boot Hill: Pima County

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
There were lots of black and Mexican cowboys riding the range. For blacks, especially, there was a lot of opportunity and, from my reading anyway, less racism to face as the Western measure of a man had more to do with character and work ethic than color and the general prevailing attitude was "mind your own business and I'll mind mine." Where our game takes place, at least to start, there are many Mexican and Mexican-Americans ("We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us!") and no doubt some blacks as well. By 1867, the Buffalo Soldiers* were in Arizona fighting the Apache.

A.jpg
10th_cavalry_l_and_r_ready_and_forward_81631_grande.jpeg
* They were dubbed this by the Indians because their hair resembled buffalo fur to Apache eyes, and it was a sign of respect for their fighting spirit because the Indians honored the buffalo. The soliders accepted the name as a badge of honor and adopted the buffalo as their emblem on the 10th Cavalry regiment's crest. Fun facts: they had the lowest desertion rate in the Army and the common problem of chronic alcoholism in the Army was virtually unknown among the Buffalo Soldiers.

Last edited:
Of course, everyone knows there are in fact no buffalo in North America, but rather the majestic bison!
1200px-African_Buffalo.jpg
Buffalo

ap110214161207.jpg
Bison
Similarly, we have no buzzards, but rather hawks and vultures.
head-on-buzzard-northeastwildlifecouk.jpg
Buzzard

Turkey-Vulture-In-Flight.jpg
Vulture

Last edited:
Cisco Kidd

Francisco Samuel Saturnino Kidd Alvarado
Age 25
Speed 46 + 3 = 49 - Quick +4
Gun Accuracy 87 - Excellent +15
Throwing Accuracy 49 - Above Average +2
Bravery 84 + 1 = 85 - Very Brave +3/+10
Strength 42 - Above Average 14
Experience 61 - 2 + 1 = 3 gunfights 0

Gambler Rating 19

Speaks and writes English and Latin; speaks Spanish

Weapon Speed
SAR5 Fast +8 + 4 + 3 = +15
KN Average +5 + 4 + 3 = +12
R15 Slow -5 + 4 + 3 = +2
2xSAR6 Fast +8 + 4 + 3 = +15

Weapon Accuracy
SAR5 50 + 15 + 10 + 0 = 75%
R15
2xSAR6
KN 50 + 2 + 10 + 0 = 62%

Personal Items
.32 Smith & Wesson 1 1/2 single-action pocket pistol (SAR5) plus 10 extra cartridges - vest pocket
henry rifle.jpg
.44 Henry lever-action rifle (R15) plus 79 extra cartridges - saddle (property of Big Jim Wayne)
Colt-Dragoon-Third-Model-Fully-Engraved.JPG
2x .44 Colt Dragoon cartridge-converted single-action pistols (SAR6) plus 13 extra cartridges - gunbelt
Hunting knife (KN) and sheath - right boot
Pocket watch - vest pocket
Havana cigars (2-4) and box of matches - inside coat pocket
Poke containing $39.15 - around waist under vest

Other Possessions
Red dun quarter horse mare, 'Mariposa' (Poor horse)
STR 10 COO 10 INT 6 LUC 10 Swimming 16 Rubs off strange rider 15 Comes at whistle 9 Rubs against fences
Saddle, bridle, and pads
Saddle bags
Two trade blankets - in a roll tied to back of saddle
Canvas oilcloth duster - rolled around blankets tied to saddle
Two spare shirts, two spare union suits, two spare pair of socks, and spare trousers - rolled in blankets tied to saddle
Box of .32 ammunition, 85 cartridges - saddle bag
Box of Havana cigars, 46-48 remaining - saddle bag
Two canteens - tied to saddle
Straight razor - saddle bag
Holy Bible, King James edition - saddle bag
The Code of Criminal Procedure for the State of Texas, 1856 - saddle bag
Shingle which reads 'F. Samuel Kidd, Atty-at-Law' on one side and 'Francisco Kidd Alvarado, Abogado' on the other - tied to saddle under blankets

Appearance
Average height and build, sandy brown hair and beard, active brown eyes, sly smile; speaks with a pronounced drawl
Natural (tan) Boss of the Plains Stetson with tasseled string, red-brown broadcloth frock coat over black-and-gold brocade vest, white linen shirt with starched paper collar and black cravat, black broadcloth trousers with braces, brown riding boots with Mexican spurs, wool socks, union suit under all

I'll suggest the easiest party concept first,
1. Y'all are my Tybalt's cattle crew. . . .
Kidd is happy to be Mr Crenshaw's legal representation for a share of the proceedings.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Mary will be part of this ranching scheme as the party's liaison in the town of Saguaro and also be the "Face" of the group, a negotiator of sorts.

I will also be posting my second character, a traditional cowboy.

Not sure if I want to play a Mexican vaquero or a white cowpoke from Virginia who served as a grunt in the Confederate Army and now may be part of the "Arizona Cowboys" gang of Tombstone infamy (or more likely some predecessor or offshoot thereof, as we're in Pima County and not Cochise County)

ok did some research the main endpoint of az cattle drives was the city of prescott which if I'm reading the map right is a little north of the top of the map but if Saguaro (our home city) wants to be economical viable it would also have some form of cattle market (also an extremely strong poltical lobby to get the railroad through their town). The green zone is our friend as natural pasture land and also 1870 is well at the begining of the enclosures of the grazing lands also AZ is just a territory not a state so I don't know how trespass and grazing rights would be handled, so that'll be fun to figure out:smile:.

I'm thinking Mary will be part of this ranching scheme as the party's liaison in the town of Saguaro and also be the "Face" of the group, a negotiator of sorts.

I will also be posting my second character, a traditional cowboy.

Not sure if I want to play a Mexican vaquero or a white cowpoke from Virginia who served as a grunt in the Confederate Army and now may be part of the "Arizona Cowboys" gang of Tombstone infamy (or more likely some predecessor or offshoot thereof, as we're in Pima County and not Cochise County)
There was no Cochise County in 1870. Arizona Territory only had four counties at the time, each named for a local Indian tribe: Mohave, Pima, Yavapai and Yuma.

Also, Tombstone wasn't founded until 1879.

There was no Cochise County in 1870. Arizona Territory only had four counties at the time, each named for a local Indian tribe: Mohave, Pima, Yavapai and Yuma.

Also, Tombstone wasn't founded until 1879.

Yeah, I knew Tombstone was not founded until 1879, but I did not know Cochise County had yet to be founded yet either.

I learned something today!

By my count, we have eight participants:

Bunch Bunch
Baeraad Baeraad
Supervisor194 Supervisor194
F FeralToaster
Gringnr Gringnr
Doc Sammy Doc Sammy
Séadna Séadna
Black Vulmea Black Vulmea

...so I'm taking no more players at this time.

Once I have your first PCs, I'll jot down all their vitals on 3×5 cards and put them all in one place online for fast reference as well, probably the opening post of the in-character thread. I know Supervisor194 Supervisor194 won't be posting his PC until Monday or Tuesday, so I don't expect to start until Tuesday at the earliest. The upside is that gives everyone time to make sure they have characters they want to play and I have time to generate rumors, opportunities, and situations.

By my count, we have eight participants:

Bunch Bunch
Baeraad Baeraad
Supervisor194 Supervisor194
F FeralToaster
Gringnr Gringnr
Doc Sammy Doc Sammy
Séadna Séadna
Black Vulmea Black Vulmea

...so I'm taking no more players at this time.

Once I have your first PCs, I'll jot down all their vitals on 3×5 cards and put them all in one place online for fast reference as well, probably the opening post of the in-character thread. I know Supervisor194 Supervisor194 won't be posting his PC until Monday or Tuesday, so I don't expect to start until Tuesday at the earliest. The upside is that gives everyone time to make sure they have characters they want to play and I have time to generate rumors, opportunities, and situations.

I'll try to get my PC posted Monday.

Jackson Quinn

quinn.jpg

Quinn went west about ten years ago looking for his brother, Clancy, who left for California the year after it became a state. After learning Clancy had indeed arrived in San Francisco, he was surprised to learn that he left the city only a few months later. Not knowing anything else about what happened to his brother in San Francisco, Quinn searched for Clancy for almost ten years never finding a trace of him. Arriving in Saguaro almost two years ago, he initially spent some time trying his hand at mining before working as a carpenter in town. Recently, however, Quinn has decided that he is not ready to stay permanently in any one spot and decided to leave Saguaro. He's given up on finding Clancy but not on wandering the west.

Can read and write in English. Speaks enough Spanish to get by. Also knows a few Apache words.

Sex: Male
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Religion: Christian
Born: Rome, Georgia

SPEED (15+25=40) +4
GUN ACCURACY (42+15=57) +5
THROWING ACCURACY (65+10=75) +7
STRENGTH (47+15=62) 15
BRAVERY (72+5=77) speed modifier +2, accuracy modifier +6
EXPERIENCE (69) previous no. gunfights=2 accuracy modifier -5

Single action revolver (6 shot, Fast; First Shot Determination 14, Hit Determination 56; $30)
100 bullets ($2)
Hunting knife (Average; First Shot Determination 11, Hit Determination 58; $4)
Fair horse ($50)
Saddle, bridle and pads ($40)
Holster and gun belt ($5)
Field glasses ($5)
Saddle bags ($3)
Canteen ($1)
Normal clothes, boots, & hat
$10 cash

Hope I did the modifiers right. I'll work on a backup character soon.

Jesus Mcarthy Garcia
1/2 Mexican, 1/2 American
Raised by his Mexican mother and disowned by his father.

5a55a97af42c917963a867144085a34a--viva-mexico-mexico-city.jpg
Ranch hand. Honest kid who's only gunfight came from an accusation of making moves on a gringo girl. She was interested but he knew it wouldn't end well for him. Some fella didn't take too well to being passed over in favor of one of "them". He tried to shoot Jesus in the street but Jesus was faster leaving the other fella with a permanent limp. He left town rather than find out what the authorities would do about it. He's looking for any honest work he can find.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Illiterate in both.
Speed 65,Very Quick,+6
Gun Accuracy 97,Crack Shot, +18
Throw Accuracy 26, Average,0
Strength 54,Above Average,14
Bravery 34, Average,0,0acc mod
Experience 43,1 gunfight,-5 ability/acc mod

Base first shot Determination =6+0=6

18+0+-5=+13 base gun accuracy modifier
Base to-hit w gun =63

Single action revolver (5 shot, Fast; First Shot Determination 14 , Hit Determination 63 ; $26)
100 bullets ($2)
Army rifle (1 shot, Very Slow, First Shot Determination 8, Hit Determination 63; $20)
100 bullets ($2)
Hunting knife (Average; First Shot Determination 11, Hit Determination 45; $1)
Fair horse ($50)
Saddle bags ($3)
Canteen ($1)
Normal clothes, boots, & hat
$0 cash

Describe the horse hopefully soon

Tonto the Palamino
Str 18 may have to lower this to get to a "Fair" horse rating.
Coord 11
Int 5
Luck 7

Last edited:
THINGS ONLY A TENDERFOOT
WOULDN'T KNOW

• Accusing a man of lying, cheating, or cowardice is asking to be shot. A man lives and dies by his reputation.
  • Don’t inquire into a man's past. Anything he wants you to know, he'll volunteer.
  • Horse theft is a hanging offense. Leaving a man without a horse is, in some places--the Sonora Desert or the New Mexico malpaís, for instance--tantamount to sentencing him to death.
  • Don’t make a threat unless you plan to make good on it.
  • Never pass anyone on the trail without saying howdy.
  • Never approach someone from behind without announcing yourself with a loud greeting before you get within shooting range. Same is true approaching a campfire at night.
  • After you pass someone on the trail, don’t look back at him: it implies you don’t trust him.
  • Always tend to your horse’s needs before your own.
  • Swear all you want, but only around men, horses, and cows.
  • Complain about the cooking and you become the cook.
  • Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand to show your friendly intentions.
  • Never shoot a woman no matter what.
  • Your word is your bond and a handshake is more binding than a contract.
  • The most dangerous Indian is the one you don't see.

Last edited:
SPEED (15+25=40) +4
GUN ACCURACY (42+15=57) +5
THROWING ACCURACY (65+10=75) +7
STRENGTH (47+15=62) 15
BRAVERY (72+5=77) speed modifier +2, accuracy modifier +6
EXPERIENCE (69) previous no. gunfights=2 accuracy modifier -5

Single action revolver (6 shot, Fast; First Shot Determination 14, Hit Determination 56; $30)
Hunting knife (Average; First Shot Determination 11, Hit Determination 58; $4)
Numbers all check out. :thumbsup:

Just FYI to everyone, since our buddy Black Vulmea Black Vulmea asked me about whether we are using the Advanced Rules (pages 12-13) and/or Optional Rules (pages 13-15), I thought it prudent to note here so everyone is fully aware.

Re: Advanced Rules: We're not using the rules for hidden movement or firing during movement, but the rules for firing at mounted targets and arched arrows and minor character morale are in play.

Re: Optional Rules: All of these rules are in play except for the alternate first shot determination rules.

Anyone who rolled up a PC with Gun Accuracy of 96 or higher ("Crack Shot" or Deadeye") is considered a sharpshooter and should read the brief section on page 13 that applies whenever you use a pistol or rifle (but not a shotgun or scatter gun). Any time you shoot, you can choose from two options: (1) get a bonus on the Wound Chart (see page 10) or (2) make a called shot at a visible target (i.e., headshot, gun hand, etc.) with a negative modifier to hit, but if you hit it means you hit your declared target. Note that with option (2), you can only shoot once per turn.

To save time if/when a gunfight breaks out, players just need to declare their actions and post their dice results; I'll apply any modifiers and roll any wounds. This will make it easier on anyone new or relatively unaccustomed to Boot Hill: just say what you're doing and chuck your dice and let the referee worry about the rest. :dice: If you have a novel idea for an action, I'll apply a modifier as needed by comparing what you're trying with the difficulties established by the examples on the First Shot Determination Chart and/or Hit Determination Chart (both on page 9). If you're firing more than once in a turn, make sure you post what you rolled for each shot, but remember there are cumulative negative modifiers to your accuracy for each shot after the first. :gunslinger:

(And don't forget Boot Hill has fun Brawling Charts, too.) :thumbsup:

Corbin J. Wirth

corbin.jpg

Speed: 11 (+0) Average
Gun Accuracy: 77 (+10) Very Good
Throwing Accuracy: 100 (+20) Deadeye
Strength: 32 (13) Average
Bravery: 99 (+5/+15) Foolhardy
Experience: 55 (-5) 1 fight

First Five Stat rolls, Forgot Experience so it was a separate roll

Equipment:
5x Hunting Knife (First Shot: 13, Hit Determination: 80%)
Single Action Revolver (First Shot: 10, Hit Determination: 70%)
Fair Horse
50 Bullets
Saddle, Bridle & Pads
Clothes (Hat, Vest, Shirt, Boots, Chaps, Trousers, Socks)

Remaining money: $2.50

Background:
Corbin is the youngest of five brothers. The eldest four having died in the Civil War, he was lucky to only see a few months of service. Being left as the sole heir to his father's large farm in Louisiana was a much more serious and responsible life than Corbin planned for, so he up and left. Being lethally handy with a knife from hunting days with his brothers allowed him to join a Circus sideshow. He eventually stopped off in Saguaro simply because it seemed more alive than anywhere else. He's currently getting by with the odd job performing knife tricks in the Saloon and helping out at ranches from time to time.

Last edited:
Speaking of rolling dice, how do you want us to do that? Does the forum have a built in dice roller (looks at Admin)? Is there an online roller

Speaking of rolling dice, how do you want us to do that? Does the forum have a built in dice roller (looks at Admin)? Is there an online roller
There's supposed to be a built-in die-roller but I can't figure out where it is or how to use it.

If we can't use it, I'm happy with the honor system. I don't need anyone to prove his rolls to me; I'm assuming we're all grown-ups who can handle rolling a "01" when we really wanted a "00."

Edit: Also, we have all eight characters posted now so I'll be starting the in-character thread either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, go over your character and make sure you've got all your gear and your numbers add up. I'll probably double-check as well since I'm going to write them all down on index cards so I can easily look them up. When the in-character thread is ready, I'll send everyone an alert. Did you decide whether you all have met before?

Last edited:
There's supposed to be a built-in die-roller but I can't figure out where it is or how to use it.

If we can't use it, I'm happy with the honor system. I don't need anyone to prove his rolls to me; I'm assuming we're all grown-ups who can handle rolling a "01" when we really wanted a "00."

Edit: Also, we have all eight characters posted now so I'll be starting the in-character thread either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, go over your character and make sure you've got all your gear and your numbers add up. I'll probably double-check as well since I'm going to write them all down on index cards so I can easily look them up. When the in-character thread is ready, I'll send everyone an alert. Did you decide whether you all have met before?

I considered showing my work because my rolls were almost all good. I even took pics of the online Wizards of the Coast dice roller I used (didn't feel like digging out real dice). But then I figured out wouldn't be necessary.

Okay, let's give this a try. I think I got all the numbers right...

Lars Nelson

A good-natured but not overly bright or industrious immigrant who came to America to seek his fortune. He initially lived with some relatives, but they recently got sick of him doing less than his share of work and more than his share of eating, and hinted strongly that his fortune was to be found somewhere not on their farm. He's drifted south with no particular plan but certain that something's bound to come up - this is, after all, the Land of Opportunity!

Sex: Male
Nationality: Swedish
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue
Religion: Lutheran
Born: Scania, Sweden

SPEED (29+15=44) +4
GUN ACCURACY (16+25=41) +2
THROWING ACCURACY (81+5=86) +15
STRENGTH (22+25=47) 14
BRAVERY (22+25=47) speed modifier +1, accuracy modifier +3
EXPERIENCE (24) accuracy modifier -10

Hunting knife (Average; First Shot Determination 10, Hit Determination 58; $4)
Single action revolver (6 shot, Fast; First Shot Determination 13, Hit Determination 45; $30)
100 bullets ($2)
Fair horse ($50)
Guitar ($7)
Bible ($1)
Natural encyclopedia of questionable veracity ($1)
$13
If you don't come up with something you like better, Heath from The Big Valley:
51aiEtk4k9L._SX385_.jpg

Die roller was removed not long after it was installed for reasons I forgot.

Unrelated I updated my character post.

I believe that at least a few of us work for Mr. Crenshaw, there.

Jesus just arrived in town. First order of business is finding gainful employment.

Saguaro, Arizona:
20190306_114558.jpg

Last edited:
So we just respond in the thread? That how this works?

So we just respond in the thread? That how this works?
Preferably like so:

Describe what you're doing in first- or third-person, whatever you're more comfortable with. You can switch back and forth as well.

Anything you say aloud, put in quotes: "Well, ma'am, that's right, I guess I am a pretty lousy shot." (If it might be unclear who you're addressing, it's best to write: I say to Hank, "Cover me while I run over to the trough!"

Anything out-of-character, such as questions for the referee or notes about your roll, I prefer to have italicized to differentiate.

Anything that you don't want someone else to know, put in a
spoiler.

If one player hasn't posted, I like to give him/her at least a day or two to make sure he/she gets a chance (because real life can intervene), but if more time than that passes, I'll make a judgment call and move forward. For instance, if Doc Sammy Doc Sammy doesn't turn up for a few days, I'd probably just judge that his PC is at her job until he does post; or, if his PC was in the room but he's out of touch, I'll just assume his PC assents to do whatever the rest of you have agreed on unless it's suicidal for his PC.

Last edited:
Juan de la Oyo
Mexican, Male

Wants To Become A Deputy Sheriff

Speed (58) Very Quick (+4)
Gun Accuracy (67) Good (+7)
Throwing Accuracy (77) Very Good (+10)
Strength (79) Hardy 16
Bravery (68) Brave Modifier Speed +2 Accuracy +6
Experience (76) Been in 3 Gunfights (+0)

Sorry I hadn't posted yet. The change of hosts sort of threw me off.

But I caught up...:evil:

So, what do I do with the above stats? Do I turn the Speed, G.A. and Bravery into 68, 77 and 78, respectively, given the number I'm supposedly adding based on the table on p5? Am I then recalculating whether that means a different rank (it does)?

I'm starting to see what people mean by saying that old rulesets weren't exactly clearly explained:grin:!

But I caught up...:evil:

So, what do I do with the above stats? Do I turn the Speed, G.A. and Bravery into 68, 77 and 78, respectively, given the number I'm supposedly adding based on the table on p5? Am I then recalculating whether that means a different rank (it does)?

I'm starting to see what people mean by saying that old rulesets weren't exactly clearly explained:grin:!
Yes you recalculate.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back