Gringnr Gringnr
Black Vulmea Black Vulmea
Séadna Séadna
AsenRG AsenRG
Bunch Bunch
Supervisor194 Supervisor194
Doc Sammy Doc Sammy
Baeraad Baeraad

Before I forget, I need all of you to tell me which hand is dominant for your PC. You can just go with whichever hand you use in real life, choose left or right, or roll randomly. I just want to make sure we have it on the record before any combat happens as wound locations matter in Boot Hill and getting wounded in your dominant hand/arm and/or shooting/throwing with the other will affect your accuracy.
Let's make Juan right-handed.

hmm just noticed the new map. when we had the bandit detour, did we swing out near Rio Santa Cruz (or at least one of the dry river beds that feed into Rio Santa Cruz) ?

hmm just noticed the new map. when we had the bandit detour, did we swing out near Rio Santa Cruz (or at least one of the dry river beds that feed into Rio Santa Cruz) ?
The approximate route of the wandering cowpokes before they doubled back onto the trail:
Route of the wandering cowpokes.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Lars is right-handed also.

I am definitely interested, just haven't been able to check in and catch up.

Interesting fact for the date on which the game started: Georgia is not currently a state as it wasn't readmitted to the Union until July 15, 1870 after having been readmitted post-War Between the States in 1868 but then expelled from Congress in 1869.
United_States_Central_map_1870-03-30_to_1870-07-15.png

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl, if you're interested you can roll up a PC and join if you want. I figure handling 11 PCs is only 10% harder than handling 10.

Cool shootout scenario. With the set up here (classic squares and chits) and understanding the combat rules a bit better now, it's a really nice rule system.

Do y'all understand how the experience system works? Add one to your number of gunfights survived, and add a number of points to your Speed and Bravery percentile scores based on your current score, using the table on page 5 lower-right, then adjust your modifiers if you move into a new range.

Frex, surviving a third gunfight removed Cisco's -5 penalty to accuracy for Experience so his Gun Accuracy went up to 75%; if he survives another gunfight, his speed will move from 49 to 52, which will increase his Speed from Quick +4 to Very Quick +6, increasing all his basic speeds by 2.

Yes, everyone should apply Survival Modification as per post #875 in the in-character thread:
If you are done shooting, we'll also apply Survival Modification as per the rules on page 5.

Eugene's light wound means -3 to his Strength score and -5 to his Hit Determination % until it has healed. With proper medical treatment, Eugene will heal 1 point per week.
If anything is unclear, just ask. I'll also update the sheets I have for each PC to keep them current.

Juan de la Oyo
Mexican, Male, Right-Handed

Wants To Become A Deputy Sheriff

Speed (58)-68 Fast +9 ===>70. That doesn't change my score, which remains Fast+9
Gun Accuracy (67)=77 Very Good (+10)
Throwing Accuracy (77)=82 Very Good (+10)
Strength (79)=84 Strong 17
Bravery (68)=78 Brave Modifier Speed +2 Accuracy +6 ===>79, no changes.
Experience (76)=81 Been in 3 Gunfights (+0)===>Beein in 4 Gunfights. No changes.

First Shot Determination: 11+Weapon Speed
Hit Determination: Firearms 66
Hit Determination: Thrown 66

Obviously I need equipment now!
Equipment
Hunting Knife KN 1 FSD16
Fast-Draw Revolver FDR6 40 (Very Fast) FSD21
Poor Horse (Becky) 20
Saddle, Briddle, Pads 40
Holster, gun belt: free with revolver
rifle sheath 4
Civil War Type Repeating Carbine (7 shots) 20 FSD6
200 rounds for carbine 4
100 rounds for revolver 2
Western Boots 3
Riding Boots 5
Work pants, 2 pieces 2
Spurs 1
Bible, 0,9
Woolen Underwear 2 pieces 2,2
Shirt, work 2 pieces 1
Soap, 2 cakes 0,3
Harmonica, 0,25
Cough syrup 0,3
Quinine 0,12
Padock 0,4
Axe handle "Betty" 0,25
Hunter axe 0,4
Bandanna, 3 pieces 0,15
____

Total:
$148.27

Juan de la Oyo

Oh cool! Is this an obscure reference (the best kind of reference) to the late 90's western ccg "Doomtown" ? The Lawdog faction had one guy with a similar last name. If I remember correctly the character was a blind Mexican farmer that had been divinely blessed with the ability to see through tattoos on his hands, he uses this power to fight evil. I am now shocked that I still remember that bit of lore.
EDITED to remove the OOC and the Italics

Oh cool! Is this an obscure reference (the best kind of reference) to the late 90's western ccg "Doomtown" ? The Lawdog faction had one guy with a similar last name. If I remember correctly the character was a blind Mexican farmer that had been divinely blessed with the ability to see through tattoos on his hands, he uses this power to fight evil. I am now shocked that I still remember that bit of lore.
EDITED to remove the OOC and the Italics
Sorry....much more prosaically, I intended to hint that he's of the kind that if that was a game set 50 to 80 years later, would make him a private eye. Hence, Oyo, and "de la" is because I thought he should be from a family that had high standing until the frontier moved over them and made them surprised US citizens:grin:!

Sorry....much more prosaically, I intended to hint that he's of the kind that if that was a game set 50 to 80 years later, would make him a private eye. Hence, Oyo, and "de la" is because I thought he should be from a family that had high standing until the frontier moved over them and made them surprised US citizens:grin:!
Juan del Ojo?

Juan del Ojo?
No, I also decided to exchange one letter to denote pretences of nobility, and de la Oyo was the best-sounding possibility, IMO.

*You know, like some Brits who have twisted their family names** so it wouldn't be obvious where the actual name is coming from, like a simple stone mason being their ancestor?

**Reportedly, I don't know such people personally and only heard about this practice from some book whose title I'd long since forgotten (a female character was commenting upon her dislike for people with such names).

Admittedly, I realized after a day posting it that I've started with a hint, and then obscured it in such a way that nobody was likely to get the hint. But then I decided that it's just a name, and since it sounded kinda nice the way it was, I simply stopped bothering:grin:!

I think I've got how the experience works. My Experience Score doesn't change, but my Speed (currently 85) will gain 1 which will give me an 86, and my Bravery (Currently 52) will gain 2 which will give me 54. Both abilities increase, but no chages in modifiers result. Does this sound right, or have I missed something?

I think I've got how the experience works. My Experience Score doesn't change, but my Speed (currently 85) will gain 1 which will give me an 86, and my Bravery (Currently 52) will gain 2 which will give me 54. Both abilities increase, but no chages in modifiers result. Does this sound right, or have I missed something?

Your numbers are right. You have the "misfortune" of having started with the maximum bonus from Experience, but your Speed and Bravery scores still have room for improvement. The higher a score starts, the more it takes to improve its bonus.

Your Previous Number of Gunfights goes up by one, which may change your Accuracy Modifier. Your Speed and Bravery also increase unless they were already > 95. Then you check your new Speed and Bravery scores to see if the new scores result in an increase to your speed and/or accuracy modifiers.

For anyone who needs an example: if my PC had a Speed of 64 (+6 speed modifier), Bravery of 33 (+0 speed modifier/+0 accuracy modifier), and Experience of 4 previous gunfights, after surviving another gunfight my Speed goes up +2 to 66 (+9 speed modifier), my Bravery goes up +3 to 36 (+1 speed modifier/+3 accuracy modifier), and my Previous Number of Gunfights is now 5. I then make sure to increase by First Shot Determination by +4 and my Hit Determination by +3. Basically my combat experience has made my hand quicker and steadier, and my head cooler under fire. Great rules set!

Last edited:
Didn't want to break character in the game thread so I'll just say it here.

Wow, I just wanted to call out Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel for that really great rp decision yeterday. He took a routine dialogue and really made it into a powerful scene between two characters, giving both their actions more depth. This is doubly impressive because it was about conflicting character motives and the scene didn't degenerate into violence. In all my years of being a storytelling chronicles I've seldom seen such a quality impromptu quality performance. Kudos, Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel my hats off to you as a gamer.

Didn't want to break character in the game thread so I'll just say it here.

Wow, I just wanted to call out Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel for that really great rp decision yeterday. He took a routine dialogue and really made it into a powerful scene between two characters, giving both their actions more depth. This is doubly impressive because it was about conflicting character motives and the scene didn't degenerate into violence. In all my years of being a storytelling chronicles I've seldom seen such a quality impromptu quality performance. Kudos, Shemek hiTankolel Shemek hiTankolel my hats off to you as a gamer.

Thank you for the kind words!
It sometimes seems like MacRegan has a life of his own. The words often just write themselves. Maybe all those years gaming on Tekumel has tainted my perspective as a player. :smile:
I'd like to give a shout out to you, the other players, and Dumarest for creating an excellent campaign environment.

Thank you for the kind words!
It sometimes seems like MacRegan has a life of his own. The words often just write themselves. Maybe all those years gaming on Tekumel has tainted my perspective as a player. :smile:
We're just glad you visit 1870s Terra once in a while to participate.
I'd like to give a shout out to you, the other players, and Dumarest for creating an excellent campaign environment.
No need; we're all well paid to be here, right?

I just noticed the Pima County PBP has surpassed 1,000 posts! This has been the fastest-moving PBP I've ever run (although I've only run maybe 6 or 7 altogether). I'm encouraged to see everyone participating and pursuing his character's interests, as it makes things progress much faster than they might otherwise. (Fortunately I also seem to have learned what not to do from the last time I tried to run a Boot Hill PBP.)

Since Black Vulmea Black Vulmea made the 1,000th post, the promised box of a dozen day-old doughnuts is en route, but I sent them cheaper by media mail by claiming they were reading material so they may not arrive for another week or so. Just wait till you see what one of you will win for the 2,000th post! I'll give you just one hint: it involves formaldehyde. :thumbsup:

Crossposting from the Golden Heroes OOC thread. I may or may not be less available coming up. If it is likely to interfere with the game (and it shouldn't be, I usually check in a few times a day). We'll see. I'm not the most active here, but hopefully I'm pulling my weight. Anyway, no one's asked but my wife was just diagnosed with inoperable stage IV cancer. She will be starting chemo immediately. Obviously, everything else (besides our son) just took a big backseat. Sorry for the overshare, but that's what's up in my world atm.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back