[Interest Check] Classic Traveller

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Dumarest

Vaquero de Alta California
Reaction score
lbb_gd_simple.gif
Since my tabletop group has splintered and I don't see any foreseeable change in the immediate future, I'm getting some RPG kicks at the RPG Pub running a 2nd edition Boot Hill game. I think I may have the time and ability to offer up another game. I was thinking about offering a 2nd Boot Hill game in the same "universe" as it were, with potential for the PCs to cross paths, but then I thought that might turn into a pain in the neck at my end. So I'm thinking Classic Traveller would be fun, in a randomly generated subsector with randomly generated rumors and patrons and PCs using only the original Books 1 though 3.
ct13.jpg
I may use 76 Patrons to generate ideas, and maybe some ships from Supplement 7.

I'd probably want about 4 PCs to start, just to keep it manageable. They'd also be randomly generated using the rules in Book 1. If you don't have the original '77 edition, I believe the rules in the '81 revision, Starter Traveller, and The Traveller Book are essentially the same as far as character creation goes. Most likely the PCs would all have been mustered out of their respective services and find themselves on the same frontier world or starport.

Note: Third Imperium? What's that?

(I might also put up an "Interest Check" for a super hero game as another option, or Flashing Blades if anybody is interested.)

Last edited:
...I swear, I'm not following you around the forum:grin:!
(I was checking the names of the systems, and once I opened the tabs, I noticed all but one of them are your threads).

...I swear, I'm not following you around the forum:grin:!
(I was checking the names of the systems, and once I opened the tabs, I noticed all but one of them are your threads).
The real question is why are you reading threads I didn't start?!?!?!:yawn::argh::irritated:

The real question is why are you reading threads I didn't start?!?!?!:yawn::argh::irritated:
I like Planescape, and DCC, that's why:smile:. But I decided against applying to them, for various reasons.

View attachment 1594
Since my tabletop group has splintered and I don't see any foreseeable change in the immediate future, I'm getting some RPG kicks at the RPG Pub running a 2nd edition Boot Hill game. I think I may have the time and ability to offer up another game. I was thinking about offering a 2nd Boot Hill game in the same "universe" as it were, with potential for the PCs to cross paths, but then I thought that might turn into a pain in the neck at my end. So I'm thinking Classic Traveller would be fun, in a randomly generated subsector with randomly generated rumors and patrons and PCs using only the original Books 1 though 3.
View attachment 1595
I may use 76 Patrons to generate ideas, and maybe some ships from Supplement 7.

I'd probably want about 4 PCs to start, just to keep it manageable. They'd also be randomly generated using the rules in Book 1. If you don't have the original '77 edition, I believe the rules in the '81 revision, Starter Traveller, and The Traveller Book are essentially the same as far as character creation goes. Most likely the PCs would all have been mustered out of their respective services and find themselves on the same frontier world or starport.

Note: Third Imperium? What's that?

(I might also put up an "Interest Check" for a super hero game as another option, or Flashing Blades if anybody is interested.)

Hello!

If this is still happening, I'd like to sign up.

I'm familiar in all eras of Traveller, but CT and MGT are my current favorites.

Hello!

If this is still happening, I'd like to sign up.

I'm familiar in all eras of Traveller, but CT and MGT are my current favorites.

Maybe, depending on anyone else showing interest. I posted this a couple of months ago and got no response. :clown:

Maybe it's better to say "some interest, but not enough".

I only joined April 7th so I missed it

I love Traveler or even Mega Traveler....used to have at least half of the Traveler's Journals till a college roommate who was a fan as well as a criminal decided to take them when they were forced by failing grades to move back home in OK with her parents.

There have been Bundles of Holding for Classic Traveller, TNE, MgT1 and Cepheus Engine: Clements Sector, so far:smile:. I think it's safe to assume that Megatraveller might get its own Bundle of MegaHolding (or something) some day!
So you might get your books back, and cheaply:wink:!

Admittedly, I'm most curious about a T4 Bundle, myself.

There have been Bundles of Holding for Classic Traveller, TNE, MgT1 and Cepheus Engine: Clements Sector, so far:smile:. I think it's safe to assume that Megatraveller might get its own Bundle of MegaHolding (or something) some day!
So you might get your books back, and cheaply:wink:!

Admittedly, I'm most curious about a T4 Bundle, myself.
You can always buy the CDs full of the PDFs. I think it's like $35 per CD which covers an edition and I'd you buy 3 I think the 4th one is free.

The CDs are a great bargain if you don't already own the material or want another format that takes less storage space. My only portable screen is a cell phone so for me it's nothing I could use, plus I just really prefer to read from actual books, otherwise I'd be all over that deal.

The CDs are a great bargain if you don't already own the material or want another format that takes less storage space. My only portable screen is a cell phone so for me it's nothing I could use, plus I just really prefer to read from actual books, otherwise I'd be all over that deal.
Cell phones are completely able to both store and reproduce the PDFs. I use my phone to carry dozens of books to sessions and between sessions.
The trick is to get a lightweitght PDF reader. Then you just have to make the text of a size you can easily read, then scroll continuously as you read it.

I'd be very interested in this. Classic Traveller not in the 3rd Imperium sounds great.

I actually recently finished a few of the Dumarest books and reread the '77 rulebooks, so I've been eager for a Classic game.

If enough people (say, 3 to 5) are interested, we could roll up some characters and I could work up a starting point.

I'm still here as well:smile:.

Daniel Martinez Daniel Martinez, Séadna Séadna, and AsenRG AsenRG makes three...are you able to post regularly? Things move very slowly in this format if not. Anybody else interested in trying it out? If not, three should be enough to give it a whirl.

I'd be able to post a few times a day, especially evening time here which would be 13:00 - 16:00 to yourself Dumarest (if I have the time zones right).

I'd be up for it. I'm a bit rusty on Traveller and mostly played MegaTraveller but I think I can manage.

Does anyone have preferences on careers/character types they wanna play?

Does anyone have preferences on careers/character types they wanna play?
Don't get too attached to any notions as the dice may contradict you. :dice:

If you want to roll up a character, just refer to Book 1: Characters and Combat and post your results!

(I'll roll up a subsector.)

Last edited:
Yea, it just gets weird if everyone winds up with nearly the same character.
I rolled up 2 characters. The second died but I called it injured - if that's not ok, I can go with #1.

Merchant 3rd officer 997B74 Age 38
5 terms 30,000 Cr.
Sills: Vacc Suit 2, Gunnery 2, Medical 1, Vehicle 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanical 1
Benefits: Blade , 4,000 Cr/year

Scout 796696 age 28
2.5 terms 20,000 Cr
Skills Pilot 2, Medical 1, Navigation 1, JoT 1
Benefits: Low psg, revolver

Doing it by the book so we'll go with #1! :thumbsup:

Dumarest Dumarest, I want to note that "calling it wounded" is explicitly an option by the book:smile:!
(And as far as posting is concerned, you have seen my posting rates on this forum, right?)

BTW, are you going with the "Swords and Planet in Traveller" idea:wink:?

Army Trooper Leo Sun 76788A Age 22 1 term
Cr10,000 Skills: Broadsword-1, Rifle-1
Service History: Rolled attributes: 76788A
Attempted to enlist in Army. Enlistment roll 5 + 3 vs 5 Enlistment accepted. Learned Rifle-1
--------------------------------------------
Term 1 age 22 Commission roll 3 + 1 vs 5 Learned Broadsword-1 Survival roll 5 + 2 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 4 vs 7 Denied reenlistment after first term.
Mustered Out 10000 credits

Isidora Saar 554892 Age 46 7 terms
Cr25,000 Skills: Auto Pistol-1, Brawling-2, Bribery-1, Electronics-1, Tracked Vehicle-2
Benefits: High Passage, Low Passage, Low Passage Service History:
Rolled attributes: 878882 Attempted to enlist in Merchants. Enlistment roll 2 + 3 vs 7 Enlistment denied. Drafted into other.
Term 1 age 22 Skipping commision because of draft. Learned Bribery-1 Survival roll 10 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 12 vs 5 Manditory reenlistment for second term.
Term 2 age 26 Learned Brawling-1 Survival roll 9 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 7 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.
Term 3 age 30 Improved Brawling-2 Survival roll 7 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 8 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.
Term 4 age 34 Learned Tracked Vehicle-1 Survival roll 11 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 8 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 7 Aging dexterity throw 5 vs 7 Decreased dexterity by -1 to 6 Aging endurance throw 7 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 7 Reenlistment roll 7 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.
Term 5 age 38 Learned Auto Pistol-1 Survival roll 8 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 5 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 6 Aging dexterity throw 8 vs 7 Aging endurance throw 8 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 6 Reenlistment roll 6 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.
Term 6 age 42 Improved Tracked Vehicle-2 Survival roll 7 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 7 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 5 Aging dexterity throw 10 vs 7 Aging endurance throw 8 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 5 Reenlistment roll 11 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.
Term 7 age 46 Learned Electronics-1 Survival roll 5 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 10 vs 8 Aging dexterity throw 7 vs 7 Decreased dexterity by -1 to 5 Aging endurance throw 6 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 4 Reenlistment roll 8 vs 5 Mandatory retirement after seventh term. -------------------------------------------- Mustered Out 10000 credits 10000 credits 5000 credits High Passage Increased education by 1 to 9 Low Passage Low Passage

Marine Force Comdr Volodimir Aso-Drumev
Male
Age 26
UPP: 795C77
Tried to get into Navy. Ended up drafted in Marines. Survived, and even got promoted, ending up with 6 rolls in one term!
Learned: Cutlass-1, Revolver-1, +2 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Endurance (all reflected). I can only imagine how the drill sergeant Andrew Ito was chasing him! "Move your fucking ass, you weak, fat, clumsy rabbit! Yer a rabbit, ya here me? Repeat it!"
"I'm a rabbit, Sir! Can I ask a question, Sir?"
"We've got a curious, rabbit, huh? Ask away!"
"Why a rabbit, Sir? I mean, why not another animal, Sir?"
"Cuz if you can't lift that cutlass, ya can't fight with it, and would have to run, rabbit-boy! Speaking of which, fall for 30more push-ups, than run 2 kms and fall for another 30 - now!"
"Yes, Sir! 1...2...3..."

2nd term
Vacc-Suit-1
Revolver-2

Denied enlistment after second term
Cr55 000 +2 Education (reflected).

Navy Lt Cmdr Marianne Ito 76C7A9
F
Age 22
1st term
Gain 1 End and 1 Soc. No Commission
2nd Term
+1 Str, Commissioned, Vacc-suit 1, no promotion
3rd term
Jane-of-all-trades-1
No promotion, MUST serve another term!
4th term
Cutlass-1 I need to think. Finally promoted!
Skill: Gun (What's a good gun for a Navy Lieutenant?)
Obviously she helped repel invaders from the ship and earned the promotion "in a non-horizontal position", as she likes to put it, looking pointedly at some colleagues.
Damn! Aging ahead!
...Pfft, three low-to-average rolls in a row.
5th term:
Gunnery-1
Promoted to Lt Cmdr
Jane-of-Trades-2
And 3 more low rolls for aging. I'm stopping this chargen while I'm lucky!
Mustering Out!
Cr 60 000
Blade, High Passage, +4 Education!
Good. She spent time with books, after all.

Last edited:
My copy says copyright 1977, 1981, so it's a tiny bit different - hopefully close enough.

My copy says copyright 1977, 1981, so it's a tiny bit different - hopefully close enough.
The main differences are implied background material as the Imperium was introduced before the 1981 edition; character generation is the same as far as I can tell. And the Imperium stuff is irrelevant for our purposes.

Not the most durable guy, but the first that survived to a decent point

Name: Nils Andersson
Marine NCO 6A2847 Age 30
3 terms 30,000 Cr.
Sills: Gun Combat(Shotgun) - 1, Tactics - 1, Electronic - 1, Mechanical - 1
Benefits: High Psg, Blade

AsenRG AsenRG, which character are you using?

I'll try to roll up some material for a starting point and some rumors, possible patrons, and so on. May not get a chance tonight as we just got home from my sister's birthday party.

I may post some images just to help players visualize some things. Or I may just use words.

Never played Traveller so I'd like to jump in if I can. Is posting once a day often enough?

Never played Traveller so I'd like to jump in if I can. Is posting once a day often enough?
Yes. :thumbsup: Do you need the character creation rules? If so, I can upload the relevant pages here.

...are you going with the "Swords and Planet in Traveller" idea:wink:?
It'll be in the mix along with funky sexy late 1970s/early 1980s sci fi. Really just depends where the characters go and what they want to do.
giphy-6.gif tumblr_n1dkfmBOFw1s2wio8o5_500.gif tumblr_n1dkfmBOFw1s2wio8o4_500.gif tumblr_n1g7nh0aBp1s2wio8o1_500.gif flashgordon198006flashversusprincebarintimothydaltonsamjjones.jpg Kyle-MacLachlan-and-Sting-001.jpg tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-you-got-lucky.jpg vlcsnap-2012-08-11-19h33m43s202.jpg space-vamires.jpg RedColorlessArmednylonshrimp-size_restricted.gif

AsenRG AsenRG, which character are you using?

I'll try to roll up some material for a starting point and some rumors, possible patrons, and so on. May not get a chance tonight as we just got home from my sister's birthday party.

I may post some images just to help players visualize some things. Or I may just use words.
Probably the third or fourth ones, which I have to type out now from the paper. My real dice have a weirder sense of humor than the digital ones:smile:. Getting drafted in Other and learning Sword/Spear, +1 Strength and Brawling before being thrown out was definitely a WTF moment!

Is this the edition that you can die during initial character generation?
That has always sounded very cool

Yes. And it's very useful when you roll nothing higher than a 6 for your attributes:grin:!

Dumarest Dumarest, I'm mostly done with the characters, though I'd have to pick some armour, of course. Which ones do you like most, in order:wink:?
On t's definitely not going to be Isidora, and Leo Sun is too young for a Traveller PC (not to mention his math seems off, he didn't get a second skill in his first term:tongue:). I mean, the fact that even the army didn't find any use for him is kind of notable, but on second thought I'm not really interested in playing him...
You can have them for NPCs, though:grin:!

Army Trooper Leo Sun 76788A Age 22 1 term
Cr10,000 Skills: Broadsword-1, Rifle-1
Service History: Rolled attributes: 76788A
Attempted to enlist in Army. Enlistment roll 5 + 3 vs 5 Enlistment accepted. Learned Rifle-1
Term 1 age 22 Commission roll 3 + 1 vs 5 Learned Broadsword-1 Survival roll 5 + 2 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 4 vs 7 Denied reenlistment after first term.
Mustered Out 10000 credits

Isidora Saar 554892 Age 46 7 terms
Cr25,000 Skills: Auto Pistol-1, Brawling-2, Bribery-1, Electronics-1, Tracked Vehicle-2
Benefits: High Passage, Low Passage, Low Passage Service History:
Rolled attributes: 878882 Attempted to enlist in Merchants. Enlistment roll 2 + 3 vs 7 Enlistment denied. Drafted into other.
Term 1 age 22 Skipping commision because of draft. Learned Bribery-1 Survival roll 10 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 12 vs 5 Manditory reenlistment for second term.
Term 2 age 26 Learned Brawling-1 Survival roll 9 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 7 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.
Term 3 age 30 Improved Brawling-2 Survival roll 7 + 0 vs 5 Reenlistment roll 8 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.
Term 4 age 34 Learned Tracked Vehicle-1 Survival roll 11 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 8 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 7 Aging dexterity throw 5 vs 7 Decreased dexterity by -1 to 6 Aging endurance throw 7 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 7 Reenlistment roll 7 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.
Term 5 age 38 Learned Auto Pistol-1 Survival roll 8 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 5 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 6 Aging dexterity throw 8 vs 7 Aging endurance throw 8 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 6 Reenlistment roll 6 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.
Term 6 age 42 Improved Tracked Vehicle-2 Survival roll 7 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 7 vs 8 Decreased strength by -1 to 5 Aging dexterity throw 10 vs 7 Aging endurance throw 8 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 5 Reenlistment roll 11 vs 5 Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.
Term 7 age 46 Learned Electronics-1 Survival roll 5 + 0 vs 5 Aging strength throw 10 vs 8 Aging dexterity throw 7 vs 7 Decreased dexterity by -1 to 5 Aging endurance throw 6 vs 8 Decreased endurance by -1 to 4 Reenlistment roll 8 vs 5 Mandatory retirement after seventh term. -------------------------------------------- Mustered Out 10000 credits 10000 credits 5000 credits High Passage Increased education by 1 to 9 Low Passage Low Passage

Marine Force Comdr Volodimir Aso-Drumev
Male
Age 26
UPP: 795C77
Tried to get into Navy. Ended up drafted in Marines. Survived, got commissioned and even promoted, ending up with 6 advances in one term (two from automatic skills)!
Learned: Cutlass-1, Revolver-1, +2 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Endurance (all reflected). I can only imagine how the drill sergeant Andrew Ito was chasing him! "Move your fucking ass, you weak, fat, clumsy rabbit! Yer a rabbit, ya here me? Repeat it!"
"I'm a rabbit, Sir! Can I ask a question, Sir?"
"We've got a curious, rabbit, huh? Ask away!"
"Why a rabbit, Sir? I mean, why not another animal, Sir?"
"Cuz if you can't lift that cutlass, ya can't fight with it, and would have to run, rabbit-boy! Speaking of which, fall for 30more push-ups, than run 2 kms and fall for another 30 - now!"
"Yes, Sir! 1...2...3..."

2nd term
Vacc-Suit-1
Revolver-2

Denied enlistment after second term
Cr35 000 +2 Education (reflected).

Navy Lt Cmdr Marianne Ito 76C7A9
F
Age 22
1st term
Gain 1 End and 1 Soc. No Commission
2nd Term
+1 Str, Commissioned, Vacc-suit 1, no promotion
Obviously she got commissioned as an Ensign because she was a good example for the FNGs, relentlesslyimproving her fitness and her handling of the equipment!

3rd term
Jane-of-all-trades-1
No promotion, got into all kinds of stuff.
MUST serve another term!

4th term
Cutlass-1 and finally promoted!
Skill: Gun (What's a good gun for a Navy Lieutenant? Revolver again?)
Obviously she helped repel invaders from the ship and earned the promotion "in a non-horizontal position", as she likes to put it, looking pointedly at some colleagues.
Damn! Aging ahead!
...Pfft, three low-to-average rolls in a row.

5th term:
Gunnery-1
Promoted to Lt Cmdr
During a battle, she put her vacc suit and moved to a depressurized section of the ship to man the turrettes, earning a promotion!
Jane-of-Trades-2
And she kept getting in all kinds of situations, putting it politely.
And 3 more low rolls for aging. I'm stopping this chargen while I'm lucky!
Mustering Out!
Cr 60 000
Blade, High Passage, +4 Education!
Good. She spent time with books, too, after all.

Last edited:
Is this the edition that you can die during initial character generation?
That has always sounded very cool
Yes, it's possible for your PC to die, but then you just roll up another and hand over the firsr one so the referee can use her as an NPC if so desired.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back