(Interest check) Gardens of Ynn in Knave system

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

spittingimage

hawwwk-ptui
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in exploring the Gardens of Ynn using Ben Milton's Knave?

Knave is a classless system for running OSR-compatible adventures. It uses the normal six abilities and tweaks them to make them equally important (CON determines how much gear you can carry, ranged attacks use WIS for aiming, etc.) You're assumed to be a fighter if you fill your equipment slots with weapons and armour, a magic-user if you fill them with spell books, etc.

Gardens of Ynn is a location generator for creating adventures inspired by Alice in Wonderland and the British obsession for formal gardens. Imagine the Mock Turtle carrying a shiv and horrors lurking in the greenhouse...

I'd like to run a forum game for four to five players. (My time zone is GMT+13, so Discord is probably a non-starter.) We'd begin with level 3 characters, 4+1D4 HP for first level, no magic until you find some. I'd be posting Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, barring the unexpected.

I would but I'm in two PbP games already. One has a limited scope though so I could join after it is over.

Would anyone be interested in exploring the Gardens of Ynn using Ben Milton's Knave?

Knave is a classless system for running OSR-compatible adventures. It uses the normal six abilities and tweaks them to make them equally important (CON determines how much gear you can carry, ranged attacks use WIS for aiming, etc.) You're assumed to be a fighter if you fill your equipment slots with weapons and armour, a magic-user if you fill them with spell books, etc.

Gardens of Ynn is a location generator for creating adventures inspired by Alice in Wonderland and the British obsession for formal gardens. Imagine the Mock Turtle carrying a shiv and horrors lurking in the greenhouse...

I'd like to run a forum game for four to five players. (My time zone is GMT+13, so Discord is probably a non-starter.) We'd begin with level 3 characters, 4+1D4 HP for first level, no magic until you find some. I'd be posting Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, barring the unexpected.

I might be interested - I am GMT+8.

I'd be interested spittingimage spittingimage , only issue is I've used Gardens of Ynn twice myself, but the Knave system I'd like to give a shot.

I'd be glad to have you both. @Seadna, I don't see your having played the module before as a problem. There's enough material and randomness in there that it doesn't seem likely to repeat.

Name: Gambon the Healer

STR: 11 (+1)
DEX: 12 (+2)
CON: 13 (+3)
INT: 11 (+1)
WIS: 13 (+3)
CHA: 12 (+2)

HP: 1 :cry:

Armour: Gambeson
Weapon: Cudgel (d6)

Items: Sack, Fishing Rod, Whistle

Alignment: Law

Virtue: Merciful
Vice: Cowardly

Was a herbalist until recently, when blackmail (brewing potions from the old faith) forced me out of my hut and my profession.

@Seadna - the rules allow you to reroll your initial HP until you get a number >4. It wouldn't be such a bad idea, I think.

And since Gardens of Ynn are intended for levels 3 - 6, level up twice.

Name: Gambon the Healer

Level: 3

STR: 12 (+2)
DEX: 14 (+4)
CON: 15 (+5)
INT: 11 (+1)
WIS: 14 (+4)
CHA: 12 (+2)

HP: 13 :grin:

Armour: Gambeson
Weapon: Cudgel (d6)

Items: Sack, Fishing Rod, Whistle

Alignment: Law

Virtue: Merciful
Vice: Cowardly

Was a herbalist until recently, when blackmail (brewing potions from the old faith) forced me out of my hut and my profession.

The module sounds cool. I've browsed through Knave and it's intriguing. I'm just swamped at work - not sure if it will let up in a week or not until January. If possible, I'll jump in late.r

With Stan's one-shot coming to an end I'd be able to join.

I'll pick up Knave and roll up my character, when should we start?

I think once we have all the characters generated we can hit the ground running.

If no-one objects, I'll do the dice rolling for combat. We can start a round with everyone giving their tactics and I'll write a summary post.

Sounds good. I got Knave today and will generate a PC tomorrow.

Haven't forgotten this, just buried at work and had to work over last weekend. Will get a PC together and post this weekend. If we're still on perhaps we can start next week?

Sounds good, Voros Voros. Can I get all the players to drop a reply into this thread to let me know you're still up for it?

I'm in once I can get my shit together.

Name: Flim

STR 12 (+2)
DEX 13 (+3)
CON 12 (+2)
INT 11 (+1)
WIS 12 (+2)
CHA 14 (+4)

HP 20

Armour 11 (+1)

Appearance: Sinewy, Sunken face, Skin perfect, Ponytail, Elegant Clothing, Serene, Deceitful, Squeaky Voice, Herbalist, Disowned

Alignment: Neutrality

Gear: No Armour, Padlock, Lamp Oil, Marbles, Lens

Weapons: Long Sword d10, two hands, 3 slots, 3 quality

Film was a street urchin who grew into an independent burglar who eventually crossed the local Thieves Guild and fled his hometown and has been running ever since.

OK, a stab at Chargen. I'm assuming v1.0 is the latest as that is all I have in my DriveThru account? Using Random.org to roll 3 dice at a time.

Stat rolls:

1, 3, 5 = 9. Bonus +1, Def 11
2, 3, 5 = 10. Bonus +2, Def 12
2, 2, 4 = 8. Bonus +2, Def 12
4, 3, 3 = 10. Bonus +3, Def 13
3, 6, 6 = 15. Bonus +3, Def 13
3, 4, 5 = 12. Bonus +3, Def 13

Does that look right? I'll level up and do the rest of the random rolls later.

Won't let me edit on my phone, so I'll assume the stats are OK

Starting rolls:

1, 3, 5 = 9. Bonus +1, Def 11
2, 3, 5 = 10. Bonus +2, Def 12
2, 2, 4 = 8. Bonus +2, Def 12
4, 3, 3 = 10. Bonus +3, Def 13
3, 6, 6 = 15. Bonus +3, Def 13
3, 4, 5 = 12. Bonus +3, Def 13

Physique: Tiny
Face: Sunken
Skin: Tanned
Hair: Cropped
Clothing: Frayed
Virtue: Honest
Vice: Wasteful
Speech: Slow
Background: Mariner
Misfortune: Condemned

Stars ssigned as:
STR +2
INT +3
WIS +1
DEX +3
CON +3
CHA +2

Then 2 sets of level advances to give current stats of:

STR +3
INT +5
WIS +1
DEX +5
CON +4
CHA +2

HP 10

Gear:
10 pieces of chalk
Manacles
Bag of marbles
Spyglass
2 days' rations
Bill Hook (use halberd stats?) - D20 damage, 2 hands, 3 slots, 3 quality

Axel is a wiry ex-sailor. When his captain and crew turned to piracy, Axel fled, taking the captain's spyglass with him. With a bounty on his head, Axel treats every day as if it were his last!

Why don't we get started and Stan Stan can join us when things get settled for him?

Do people prefer to do their own rolling in combat? The alternative would be to give me your tactics and I'll handle the rolling to speed things up.

Combat, you say? And here was me thinking we'd spend our time picking flowers and drinking tea :smile:
Go ahead and roll for me - sounds like an excellent idea as my experience with pbp is that combat can really drag if you are waiting for individual responses.

Combat, you say? And here was me thinking we'd spend our time picking flowers and drinking tea :smile:
By combat, of course I mean the whispered recital of scandalous gossip to distract one's companions from one's efforts to secure the last of the cucumber sandwiches to oneself. :hmmm:

pride-prejudice-zombies-001.jpg

I think Ynn's influences imply a Victorian-era setting. Therefore, I propose that the lot of you are London ne'er-do-wells living in a British Empire that occasionally faces French necromancers, Austro-Hungarian undead and the odd incursion by Things From Outside. You handle it all with true British grit and, of course, Dr Gatling's marvelous invention. :gunslinger:

Right now London isn't a healthy place for you, so you're lying low in the care of your old mate Horseshoe Bill Wickham, former bareknuckle champion of East End and current head gardener to Lord and Lady Glencoe of West Farthing. He got you all no-questions-asked jobs working on the Glencoe estate grounds and in return he keeps half your wages. It could be worse: he has a still set up in one of the outhouses. The booze may not be good, but there's plenty of it. He's promised to show you how he won his title if you steal from the house, but there doesn't appear to be much to flog anyway. The Glencoe forturnes would seem to be at a low ebb. Apart from you and one halfwit from the local village, all the servants are in their fifties or older.

In terms of equipment, you have access to everything in the rulebook and hunting rifles, which will be mechanically equivalent to bows.

Any last concerns/clarifications/character issues before we start?

Fine I think. Apologies in advance for potentially poor formatting and bizarre autocorrect results - our IT dept have the Pub blocked so I have to do everything on my phone...

Name: Axel
Description: Axel is a wiry ex-sailor. When his captain and crew turned to piracy, Axel fled, taking the captain's spyglass with him. With a bounty on his head, Axel treats every day as if it were his last!

Stats:

STR +3
INT +5
WIS +1
DEX +5
CON +4
CHA +2

Physique: Tiny
Face: Sunken
Skin: Tanned
Hair: Cropped
Clothing: Frayed
Virtue: Honest
Vice: Wasteful
Speech: Slow
Background: Mariner
Misfortune: Condemned

Max HP 10
Current HP 8

Gear:
Knife
Pieces of chalk
Pieces of charcoal
Bird snares
7 pieces of Giant fly trap flesh

I've just tidied that up and adjusted my equipment list so I have a 'clean' copy I can link to in my .sig file

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back